Home The Bridge
Options

Star Trek day announcement

mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
Lots of info on the star trek day announcement. Thanks @Shan for the debrief :)

Picking up on one point,

-- a potential marketplace where players could buy/sell crew?
It is an interesting idea, and while we’re not looking into that specific setting for a marketplace, we’re exploring what kind of marketplace would fit the game.

Im curious what everyone else thinks about a market place. Is there anything apart from crew which you would be interested in trading? The only other thing I can think of are Ship Schematics. Cant really imagine myself interested in trading equipment, replicators, starbase components etc.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think newer players might be interested in acquiring some surplus equipment from the inventories of more seasoned players. I have a handful of legendary level outfits for immortalized crew I would be happy to pass along. Plus, there is buying a piece of faction gear from a friend to finish a build when you've used up the replicator and the shuttles are turning up empty.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    mejoyh wrote: »
    Lots of info on the star trek day announcement. Thanks @Shan for the debrief :)

Im curious what everyone else thinks about a market place. Is there anything apart from crew which you would be interested in trading? The only other thing I can think of are Ship Schematics. Cant really imagine myself interested in trading equipment, replicators, starbase components etc.

What do you guys think?

You are right: Ship Schematics and maybe Honor
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I have a ton of useless ship schematics, replicator rations, trainers, starbase components, other components and equipment, that I would gladly trade for honor, dilithium, merits or even credits.

Ship schematics themselves would be nice, if they were one of a few different options. Otherwise long-time players will soon be at the point where they can trade useless ship schematics for other useless ship schematics :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    I'm kinda with @Bound2Fate with this one. If all of a sudden over night, people with secondary accounts could send all their Gauntlet and Honor Hall crew to their main account it would devalue the objective of trying to get these crew on your own. I think I would support a case made for trading 4* crew or lower, but getting into Legendary crew is a slippery slope.

I agree, trading ship schematics or components could be quite useful especially with fellow fleet mates. Helping a new squad member level up their ship so they can do better in a skirmish sounds pretty reasonable to me. Or helping a squad mate level up their 5* event sharing crew, is again, a reasonable and cooperative endeavor that ultimately benefits everyone. Sharing starbase components so that people with an excess can give them to someone lacking the 700 for the day, helps everyone in the fleet. These could be beneficial to both new players and veterans.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think the players have done an excellent job explaining, which must have been too much trouble for TP, why Crew trading would be bad and detrimental to the game.

I wonder if we will get a cool new Legendary for Star Trek Day. I saw Temp Achievements mentioned, which has been used so far for adding 🌟 s to new Crew......

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think the players have done an excellent job explaining, which must have been too much trouble for TP, why Crew trading would be bad and detrimental to the game

We did touch on this a bit the other night and was universally agreed that just straight trading would hurt the game more than enhance it. If some kind of player trading is setup it would have to be thought about very carefully...

• Options
    A big part of TP/WRG's revenue (or most of it?) probably comes from the card-collecting aspect of this game. If there should ever be a crew-trading system, I'm sure they would add a lot of limitations to it, to avoid making it too easy for people to get the crew that they want.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no way they're going to create a means of trading crew that won't involve real world money some how (either straight $ or dilithium). The reason is pretty simple: the crew are the bedrock economy of the game. I also don't see merits or honor being traded, for much the same reason as crew.

However, gear and components, that seems reasonable. I've been playing Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes for a few months now and they have gear exchange/donation system* which is actually pretty good (their gear equipping system is terrible, especially in comparison to STT, but that's not relevant here). A similar exchange system in STT would help to bolster the importance of Fleets.

* - to quickly describe this system for those who don't know: every day you can put in a request for one type of item. Depending on the rarity of the item you are requesting, members of your guild can donate one or two items and you can get anywhere from 10 to 2 (also depends on the rarity) of those items from your guild. The downside of SW: GoH's system is everyone is requesting the same items because their equipment system seems to only have ~10 different components. STT having a much more robust equipment/component system would probably mean a similar system would be much more helpful, particularly for new players.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trading starbase components could be useful. I'm maxed out on holoemiters. It would be nice to trade those to our training fleet so they could build their starbase faster. I don't see that as unbalancing the game significantly.

Most everything else I can think of would cause game balance issues. Chronitons would impact events. Merits could unbalance gauntlet. Citations, honor, and crew are mentioned above. Trading equipment and components could impact galaxy events. Trading shuttle rental tokens or shuttle boosts would impact faction events and probably decrease revenue. Dilithium would probably decrease revenue.

Maybe credits would be low impact. So low in fact, that it seems pointless on the surface. Crew trainers could potentially help newer players. I sure wouldn't mind dumping all my main's trainers into my alt account.

Overall, I think something would need to be added to the game to make this worthwhile or relevant. In the current state of the game, I am reminded of the phrase "the juice ain't worth the squeeze."
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Player economies can be really cool, but there's a lot of room for abuse as well. And not just between players, with some throw away accounts any free crew giveaway potentially nets your main account a FF character.

One potential solution would be to only allow 1-to-1 trades. So if you want a 1* Legendary, you have to trade a 1* Legendary. This will put a damper on trades, but it can result in a value increase in surprising places. For example, no one may trade you their Captain Braxton for your Loque'eque Sato. On the other hand, you may be able to trade away four other unpopular legendarilies to FF Sato - and it's not like your Inglatu and Tosk were doing more than taking up space.

I'd love to see trading, but setting up a system is a tremendous amount of work, and then it requires constant moderation afterward. I don't see any way they could justify a resource sink like this if it didn't turn a profit.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles
    Tiers 1: 30 battles - get 200 Dilithium
    Tiers 2: 70 battles - get 400 Dilithium
    Tiers 3: 100 battles - get 2x 10-pack premium

is this arena battles or regular ship battles. over the course of 7 days, we get 70 free arena battles.

Are we going to have to buy more arena tickets to finish this?
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles

is this arena battles or regular ship battles. over the course of 7 days, we get 70 free arena battles.

Arena Battles, so yes if you want the last tiers for this achievement, you will need to purchase additional tickets.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you Shan!
    Shan wrote: »

Arena Battles, so yes if you want the last tiers for this achievement, you will need to purchase additional tickets.

/SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles

Unless like me you still have the 50 arena tokens in your inbox from the arena reset a few years ago...
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles

Unless like me you still have the 50 arena tokens in your inbox from the arena reset a few years ago...

Yep. Me too! Plus I may have some random ones from different CS tickets here or there. This is why I sit on all those messages.
  • Options
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles

with the exception of arena battles, will everything else be obtainable within the allotted time?
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Trading starbase components could be useful. I'm maxed out on holoemiters. It would be nice to trade those to our training fleet so they could build their starbase faster. I don't see that as unbalancing the game significantly.

Most everything else I can think of would cause game balance issues. Chronitons would impact events. Merits could unbalance gauntlet. Citations, honor, and crew are mentioned above. Trading equipment and components could impact galaxy events. Trading shuttle rental tokens or shuttle boosts would impact faction events and probably decrease revenue. Dilithium would probably decrease revenue.

Maybe credits would be low impact. So low in fact, that it seems pointless on the surface. Crew trainers could potentially help newer players. I sure wouldn't mind dumping all my main's trainers into my alt account.

Overall, I think something would need to be added to the game to make this worthwhile or relevant. In the current state of the game, I am reminded of the phrase "the juice ain't worth the squeeze."

I wouldn't mind credits as an option. I'm sure most people would prefer to trade for something else, but for me personally (assuming that honor or dilithium are very unlikely to become tradeable) credits are at least usable. I can use them on 10x basic pulls to turn them into honor, which will also lead to the occasional behold or begold.
    If it only becomes possible to trade components for other components, then for me that would be about as useful as turning useless replicator rations into other replicator rations :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles

with the exception of arena battles, will everything else be obtainable within the allotted time?

28 scans is 4 scans/day. That's 9 hours/day. So doable. And less if you use an ad on a scan.
    70 shuttles is 10/day. Assuming 4 shuttles that's 3 rounds/day so 9 hours. And if there is an event you can get through them faster.
    99 level ups: Easy enough. FE 1 crew or do a bunch of crew a little bit.
    500 away missions: Minimum 2k chrons without a supply kit. 286 chrons/day. With cadets, voyages, starbase and standard accrual rate this is doable. But a new player may need to be careful in how the chrons are spent.
    100 Arena. You will only earn 70 so you will need to get the extra 30 somehow.

Looks like everything else is doable, but will require a bit more than usual gameplay which I think is a reasonable level to have set for these.

Thank you for the breakdown. I agree 100% with the analysis too.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles

28 scans is 4 scans/day. That's 9 hours/day. So doable. And less if you use an ad on a scan.
    70 shuttles is 10/day. Assuming 4 shuttles that's 3 rounds/day so 9 hours. And if there is an event you can get through them faster.
    500 away missions: Minimum 2k chrons without a supply kit. 286 chrons/day. With cadets, voyages, starbase and standard accrual rate this is doable. But a new player may need to be careful in how the chrons are spent.

Looks like everything else is doable, but will require a bit more than usual gameplay which I think is a reasonable level to have set for these.

Arena wise u ll earn 80, it‘s 8 days = 10 free tickets per day.
    You just have to make sure to not do any arena battles the day before achievements are live.
    EDIT: Sorry just 7 daily resets, ur correct.

30 add tickets are 450 dilithium(10= 150 dil.).
    But u can earn 1,800 free dilithiumfrom the achievements, so no need
    to spend money for it. 450 „free“ dilithium is still worth
    2x 10 premium packs, which would cost a total of 1,300 dilithium, usually.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles

Arena wise u ll earn 80, it‘s 8 days = 10 free tickets per day.
    You just have to make sure to not do any arena battles the day before achievements are live.

20 add tickets are 300 dilithium(10= 150 dil.).
    But u can earn 1,800 free dilithiumfrom the achievements, so no need
    to spend money for it. 300 „free“ dilithium is worth 2x 10 premium packs
    for me.

7 days, not 8 days :)
  • Options
    7 days, not 8 days :)

My BAD, sorry. 😳🙈

•SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Everything should be pretty easy, with only the scans (1 ad-warp each day), away missions (faction event next week so no underlying reason to run a bunch naturally) and arena battles (450 dilithium) requiring much more than what we need to do for daily achievements.

Spending 450 dilithium to get what would normally cost 1,300 dilithium, especially when we're getting 1,800 free dilithium, is good value and will still net us up 1,350 dilithium!

EDIT: Upon further reflections, it does seem silly that players have to effectively use some of their rewards in order to unlock some other rewards... at that point just delete the scan requirement and decrease the other rewards by 450 dilithium, so the rewards don't seem devalued.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @Shan

Per the announcement:
    Complete Arena battles

Okay, please do not take this observation the wrong way. But TP finding a way to monetize the "celebration" kinds of looks tacky.

Just an observation.

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Everything should be pretty easy, with only the scans (1 ad-warp each day), away missions (faction event next week so no underlying reason to run a bunch naturally) and arena battles (450 dilithium) requiring much more than what we need to do for daily achievements.

Spending 450 dilithium to get what would normally cost 1,300 dilithium, especially when we're getting 1,800 free dilithium, is good value and will still net us up 1,350 dilithium!

You don't need an ad warp for scans if you log in enough.

7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm daily. That's all you need.

If got add a 7pm and 10pm scan you can do it even quicker. It's more than the normal 3/day. And if you are limited in how often you can log in then you may need an ad scan, but the ad is not required.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »

You don't need an ad warp for scans if you log in enough.

7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm daily. That's all you need.

If got add a 7pm and 10pm scan you can do it even quicker. It's more than the normal 3/day. And if you are limited in how often you can log in then you may need an ad scan, but the ad is not required.

Yes, you are right of course. I suppose I usually do more than the required 3 most days, without giving it much thought.