Home The Bridge
Options

Event discussion thread : Faction Event - By Any Other Name - ME#4 - 2021-04-22

Comments

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goshdarnit the purples are the wrong way around for me :( I don't want Mudd, I want Johnny Phillips!

InsignificantCapitalGroundhog-size_restricted.gif

If you're a spender at all, then I recommend the $5 skirmish deal tomorrow and some recap packs at the end of the mega event. I've been beating this drum for a couple weeks, but these are the strongest recap packs in a while. I've gained a new appreciation for Neelix since I started listening to the Delta Flyers podcast.

I'll try to stick to a lower finish that week to leave a spot open for you. I have Kira finished and don't need a duplicate. I'll try to get one Neelix in the event, then pull the rest from recaps.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I'll try to stick to a lower finish that week to leave a spot open for you.

Thank you @Prime Lorca [10FH] :D Hopefully RNGesus will be as kind and not tank all my shuttles! If I had any Dil I would give a pack pull a go, but alas I had to spend what I had on crew slots so I only have a paltry amount left :(

I agree about seeing Neelix in a new light after listening to The Delta Flyers, those guys obviously love Ethan Phillips so they have a different perspective than the viewers who likely just saw him as Kes' creepy boyfriend... @Captain Idol made a good point recently in one of the TT streams too about how being older (and wiser?)/becoming a parent/carer also changes how some fans view Neelix now as the comfort/support person on Voyager rather than just the crazy clown alien character. My favourite factoid The Delta Flyers have shared is about how EP played Neelix to have a crush on Janeway, I can relate to that <3:D
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Neelix. He kept the crew together and going. He asked for nothing in return. Whatever was needed he did, even when the crew treated him poorly.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a bummer to be losing an Andorian, even if he was an impostor pretending to be one. But there is a way to make up for this: add one or two other Andorians.

can i nominate Captain Thelin?

thelin.jpg

You may absolutely do so, good call!
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I’m missing something but isn’t Thelin already in the game?
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

Commander Thelin, yes. This appears to be a version of him that got promoted- maybe from a comic?
  • Options
    I thought it might be the original animators getting the color incorrect again.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it might be the original animators getting the color incorrect again.

there is a semi-canon explanation for that in some of the newer books in that
    he is part aenar
    ...read the memory-beta link in my first post!
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭

Commander Thelin, yes. This appears to be a version of him that got promoted- maybe from a comic?

Except that his shoulder rank pin is not that of captain. It resembles that of a commander or Lt. commander.
    3b77knhcg53s.jpg
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, the one time I want either of the super rares, I get that useless Legendary, lol!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, White Rabbit is "Costumed"? I know that in real life behind the scenes, it was a guy in a rabbit suit. But, within the world of the show, it was a six foot tall, talking rabbit......

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, if Neelix was a human the Ethan Philips role he most fits would be:
    2jjuhfyeqzv7.jpg
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this question may deserve a separate poll (ahem, calling @Prime Lorca [10FH]), but I’ll put it here for now since it’s related to the event.

Do you change your mission-selection process based on the number of factions and/or number of missions per faction? (Relatedly, how many missions per faction do you prefer?)

For myself... when we have 8-10 per faction, I pick my best 4 from the max and run those same 4 for the entire event, leaving the extras to expire. (I’m excluding rentals from this discussion.) When we have more than 10, I just open 4 and send them, regardless of seat count, with no regard for repeating, and with almost no expiring extras (I make an exception to avoid sending multiple 5-seaters in one wave). It feels like I’m wasting too many transmissions/merits to use the rinse-and-repeat method in the latter scenario. Am I alone in this way of thinking?

As for my preference, I’d be ok with 8-10 no matter how many factions there are. I don’t mind a slower climb to 4k missions if 1-2 factions are appropriate to the story. (Cue the “wait, there’s a story?” comments. ;) )
  • Options
    It would have been really cool if Human Neelix had some Talaxian whiskers.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this question may deserve a separate poll (ahem, calling @Prime Lorca [10FH]), but I’ll put it here for now since it’s related to the event.

Do you change your mission-selection process based on the number of factions and/or number of missions per faction? (Relatedly, how many missions per faction do you prefer?)

For myself... when we have 8-10 per faction, I pick my best 4 from the max and run those same 4 for the entire event, leaving the extras to expire. (I’m excluding rentals from this discussion.) When we have more than 10, I just open 4 and send them, regardless of seat count, with no regard for repeating, and with almost no expiring extras (I make an exception to avoid sending multiple 5-seaters in one wave). It feels like I’m wasting too many transmissions/merits to use the rinse-and-repeat method in the latter scenario. Am I alone in this way of thinking?

As for my preference, I’d be ok with 8-10 no matter how many factions there are. I don’t mind a slower climb to 4k missions if 1-2 factions are appropriate to the story. (Cue the “wait, there’s a story?” comments. ;) )

I prefer multiple smaller factions too to save merits. But in a single faction event I do still open all the missions if I'm trying to rank well. I want to be running my strongest missions.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s single-faction, such as this one, I will pick my best four transmissions & let the rest expire, rinse & repeat.

If it’s three-faction, I will pick the one faction that best fits my crew and do the same thing, after using up excess (>12, because) transmissions from the factions unlikely to garner the next week’s bonus.

Two-faction is kind of different and I will select the best-suited (pair of 3-seaters, usually) from each, which does use more merits for extra transmissions but leads to greater success percentages, in my experience.

As always, YMMV. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting question. My answer is a bit complex. Which makes me think creating a poll may not work. I base my decision on how I want to do in the event. Merits mean little to me, so I don't mind burning them on missions if I want to rank. If I don't want to rank, then I just do whatever I open.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I always run the best missions but I don’t take factions off. If I am not going for good rank I run the shuttles without time boosts.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    When my crew was relatively young I would find the best 4 missions from one faction, and let other missions from that faction expire. My only concern was finding which faction offered the easiest 4 mission set for my crew.

With a stronger crew, if I am only worried about thresholds, I'll just do the first 4 missions that open. I'll typically pick the best faction (from my inventory's perspective) that isn't leading the event, knowing I'll be able to run discounted missions from the winning faction for the next week.

When I'm trying to do well in an event, or if there is only 1 faction, I use a bit of a hybrid approach. I will use the first 4+ missions that open, except for the 5-seat missions. I'll let those ones sit until they are about to expire, then use them. That way I am not wasting merits, but only have to run each 5-seat mission once every 12 hours.
  • Options
    “Squadrons: Y
    Crew Sharing: Y
    Faction Winner Bonus: Y
    Community Rewards: N”

Don’t see the bonus yet.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Squadrons: Y
    Crew Sharing: Y
    Faction Winner Bonus: Y
    Community Rewards: N”

Don’t see the bonus yet.

That was a misunderstanding and the event notes have been changed last week.
  • Options
    8r8j3tygtmqb.png

As far as I can tell the notes never got updated.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I see what happened, my apologies.
    The event notes for next week's event incorrectly said there was a faction winner, this was due to a misunderstanding.

For this event, the error is on me - faction events with only 1 faction does not have a faction winner.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »
    My highest ranking in a faction event. I don't think I ever got the legendary reward in such type of event before.

qnqywjmkq4t5.png
    Congrats! It was a tough finish as well, far more than mega finales tend to be. Maybe the new Neelix made things competitive across a broader range.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    It did seem rather brutal.