Home The Bridge
Options

Celestial Market Overview Discussion Thread

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2021 in The Bridge
As promised here is the overview of the Celestial Market that will go live in a few weeks.

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/18272/an-overview-of-the-celestial-market/

Comments and questions are welcome :)

Comments

• Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Initial impressions are positive from me. Getting to go out into the community to purchase wanted polestars is awesome.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that the prices are set and it is a first-come-first-serve basis, giving everybody equal access to the market.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is tremendously exciting. Player trading is a tricky thing, but this seems simple and streamlined, at least as far as the player experience is concerned!
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had time to watch the Timelines Talk video, were details on costs (say max/min ISM costs for trading polestars; or will polestar turn in costs be uniform) covered during the discussion? Or was this mainly a high level overview (ie: you'll be able to do this but no details yet)?

From what I've read so far, I'm cautiously optimistic, but the devil is in the details. I can see a bunch of ways this is implemented badly. But I also feel like a genius for building up a 100K ISM reserve. :)
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    One question I have: how will the successful buyer will be selected when a seller posts a particular polestar that is on the wanted list of multiple potential buyers?

It could be frustrating if you see a certain polestar going to other players, despite being on your wish list. I hope it doesn't become a bidding war!
  • Options
    ALeeRocksALeeRocks ✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    I haven't had time to watch the Timelines Talk video, were details on costs (say max/min ISM costs for trading polestars; or will polestar turn in costs be uniform) covered during the discussion? Or was this mainly a high level overview (ie: you'll be able to do this but no details yet)?

From what I've read so far, I'm cautiously optimistic, but the devil is in the details. I can see a bunch of ways this is implemented badly. But I also feel like a genius for building up a 100K ISM reserve. :)

There are no costs/fees for trading. So whatever price Constellations/Polestars are listed for is your purchase price. But since Constellations can be dematerialized for 300 ISM and Polestars can be dematerialized for 800 ISM, I would expect those to be the floor for trading prices.
    Webberoni wrote: »
    One question I have: how will the successful buyer will be selected when a seller posts a particular polestar that is on the wanted list of multiple potential buyers?

It could be frustrating if you see a certain polestar going to other players, despite being on your wish list. I hope it doesn't become a bidding war!

The Celestial Market is simply first-in-first-out so there are no bidding wars - everything is based on time of listing/order. Whoever places an order first that meets the listing price gets that item.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    ALeeRocks wrote: »
    The Celestial Market is simply first-in-first-out so there are no bidding wars - everything is based on time of listing/order. Whoever places an order first that meets the listing price gets that item.

That was my assumption. I could see some players getting frustrated if they are waiting for a long time to get a polestar/constellation that is in high demand.
  • Options
    Selene 7Selene 7 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I'm meh about it, crew retrieval is a minor feature for me. I use it mainly to add stars to existing crew. I have more than enough polestars for this. Maybe after the portal update I'll be more motivated to look for specific polestars.

The news that their next focus is going to be things to do with your crew sounded more promising, I hope they'll be able to follow through on that!
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    First of all, thank you very much for adding this.

We'll have to see how available some polestars will be. But the ability to remove unwanted polestars and constellations is a great improvement for me. My main character has had great luck and has a ton of ISM. However my poor freeloader has little ISM and terrible luck - getting things like 2 binar constellations, Risian and other completely useless things, as well as 3 and 4 of other unwanted polestars. I basically wasted my purchase this month, so now this should improve a lot.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds awesome. I just wish we had exact same feature with crew and honor (and maybe items/components and credits/merits).
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selene 7 wrote: »

The news that their next focus is going to be things to do with your crew sounded more promising, I hope they'll be able to follow through on that!

Same. Since they say that, but also that no new game modes are planned I don´t expect too much though.

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my assumption. I could see some players getting frustrated if they are waiting for a long time to get a polestar/constellation that is in high demand.

Players can also set their own price. If a player desperately wants a specific polestar, they can submit the highest bid out there. Then they will get it first as soon as a seller accepts their price. If another player comes in with a higher bid, that player will be at the top.

I'm very curious to see how prices work out and which are the most sought after polestars. But I can easily see 20k+ for a highly desirable polestar. While the price for human/federation will probably sit at 800 ism.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Players can also set their own price. If a player desperately wants a specific polestar, they can submit the highest bid out there. Then they will get it first as soon as a seller accepts their price. If another player comes in with a higher bid, that player will be at the top.

I'm very curious to see how prices work out and which are the most sought after polestars. But I can easily see 20k+ for a highly desirable polestar. While the price for human/federation will probably sit at 800 ism.

I sincerely hope the system is not based on player bids, like an auction. That will only serve to create a 'the rich get richer' scenario, and hurt average players and those just new to the game.
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    Time to make alts to farm polestars, lol.

1. Get desired polestar on alt
    2. List it at something ridiculous, like 100,000 ism
    3. Have main buy it
    4. Have main post human polestar at 100,000 ism
    5. Have alt buy it to transfer ism back

:D
  • Options
    ALeeRocksALeeRocks ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I sincerely hope the system is not based on player bids, like an auction. That will only serve to create a 'the rich get richer' scenario, and hurt average players and those just new to the game.

Now I may need to watch Ben's demo again to confirm, but I do not believe Celestial Market is bidding-based or auction-like. Players can list (up to 99) Constellations/Polestars for 30 days, but as soon as an order is created that matches that listing price, that transaction completes and that listing ends (or reduces in quantity by 1). So I do not believe there is any concept of accepting prices by the seller - it is automatic.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I may need to watch Ben's demo again to confirm, but I do not believe Celestial Market is bidding-based or auction-like. Players can list (up to 99) Constellations/Polestars for 30 days, but as soon as an order is created that matches that listing price, that transaction completes and that listing ends (or reduces in quantity by 1). So I do not believe there is any concept of accepting prices by the seller - it is automatic.

Is the pricing set automatically, or are sellers able to set their own price when listing a polestar/constellation?
  • Options
    ALeeRocksALeeRocks ✭✭✭

Is the pricing set automatically, or are sellers able to set their own price when listing a polestar/constellation?

There might be a default value initially shown, but I am pretty sure prices are completely set by us players.
  • Options
    [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    I very much like this new addition. I have many constellations and polestars I will never use and even if they don’t get used in the market, being able to sell them is a big plus. I have many constellations I haven’t wanted to waste 1000 ism to discover.
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • Options
    I have a wishlist of crew with potential build options, so I already have a shopping list on hand for polestars! Some are probably fairly common, I just haven't had the luck of them dropping. I'd love to sell some of my extras so I can get a hold of these!

Should be interesting to see how pricing develops. I imagine there will be some impressive fluctuation the first few weeks.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

It is 100% based on player input. The prices are all set by players. How much players are willing to sell a polestar for and how much they're willing to buy one for. Some polestars will be listed for much higher than others. I suspect a player could probably try to make money by buying polestars low and selling them higher. Or by buying constellations, converting them to polestars, and then selling the valuable polestars for more. But at the end of the day, all the player is gaining from that is ISM. And for players that were earning enough ISM before, earning extra ISM by playing the market won't really improve their gameplay, so I don't know if it's worth the effort.
  • Options
    And for players that were earning enough ISM before, earning extra ISM by playing the market won't really improve their gameplay, so I don't know if it's worth the effort.
    I always figured player trading was a lost cause, since the potential for abuse in trading for crew/citations was so high.

But polestar and constellation trading removes so many problems. There's little value in hoarding huge amounts of ISM, and slow quantum generation negates much use in hoarding polestars you don't intend to use. I can see some edge cases that will likely result in folks holding onto things, but I bet it won't take many weeks for the price of polestars to drop.

Starport
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be fun and helpful. I am looking forward to it.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could make one suggestion to this idea, in addition to the global Celestial Market, I would very much like a smaller version for intra-fleet trades. We earn ISM as a fleet and people have been asking for years to have more things for fleets to do together, even if it required fleets to build an upgrade to their starbase to unlock it, I want this for fleets. And big public shout out to fleetmate @Veterinary Phlox for suggesting this idea in our fleet chat, I want to add my voice to that idea to support it because I absolutely love the idea.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    If I could make one suggestion to this idea, in addition to the global Celestial Market, I would very much like a smaller version for intra-fleet trades. We earn ISM as a fleet and people have been asking for years to have more things for fleets to do together, even if it required fleets to build an upgrade to their starbase to unlock it, I want this for fleets. And big public shout out to fleetmate @Veterinary Phlox for suggesting this idea in our fleet chat, I want to add my voice to that idea to support it because I absolutely love the idea.

Discussed on Timelines Talk. They debated this and decided they want to keep the overall market healthy and not allow trades limited to within a fleet.

https://youtu.be/EKO_98gDlps?t=6880
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, fleet trades would be too likely to be exploited. I agree more fun fleet stuff would be good but I do not think this is the thing.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

Discussed on Timelines Talk. They debated this and decided they want to keep the overall market healthy and not allow trades limited to within a fleet.

Well in that case, since a handful of people debated this and made decisions for us all, I don't see much point in having a discussion thread about it.

Is there somewhere interested parties can submit a résumé or fill out an application to be allowed to be included in future debates of this nature?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

Well in that case, since a handful of people debated this and made decisions for us all, I don't see much point in having a discussion thread about it.

Is there somewhere interested parties can submit a résumé or fill out an application to be allowed to be included in future debates of this nature?

It was a dev decision. You'll have to look and see if WRG is hiring if you want to submit an application.

That said, I do see a work around, of sorts. Find a polestar that is otherwise useless, like Edosian or Jem'hadar. Use fleet chat so only your fleet knows to look for it. You can use fleet chat to funnel ISM. That's my plan, anyway. You'll have to check the market and make sure no one else has that polestar or constellation posted, but I think you can make it work. A Yeoman Rand constellation would also be a good one.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I wanna sell 10 "human" polestars for a total price of 100 frisbees/interstellar matter.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a couple jobs listed. Feel free to submit your resume so you can be included in future design decisions.

https://www.wickedrealmgames.com/
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna sell 10 "human" polestars for a total price of 100 frisbees/interstellar matter.

You'll be able to just "grind them up" for 800 ISM. I suppose you could sell them for less, though.
    Farewell 🖖