Home The Bridge
Options

Predictions on Polestar Values in the Celestial Market

Comments

• Options
    I have a Talaxian polestar that i’m saving to get Dexa. Will she be in the next portal update or the one after? 🤞
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Talaxian polestar that i’m saving to get Dexa. Will she be in the next portal update or the one after? 🤞

Unlikely. Updates usual do not cover the six months before the date of the update. Since Dexa was in the April Mega, she’s too recent to be included. I believe, if the update happens next week, the last event that is covered is Arrow Again, which was the January 7th event (my counting could be off, so I could be wrong on this).

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Arrow_Again
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1495 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    EnderW wrote: »

Unlikely. Updates usual do not cover the six months before the date of the update. Since Dexa was in the April Mega, she’s too recent to be included. I believe, if the update happens next week, the last event that is covered is Arrow Again, which was the January 7th event (my counting could be off, so I could be wrong on this).

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Arrow_Again

That’s too bad, thanks though, I will keep waiting :wink:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

Go ahead & sell me that Talaxian polestar. 8-)
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one talaxian, I'm saving it for Tactical officer Neelix (just Talaxian+Starfleet)
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I'm debating whether to open this Priestess Siranna constellation or just try to sell it. All the polestars are decent. I don't think I "need" any of them, so I could probably part with it.

x4adcny0r29x.jpg
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I'm debating whether to open this Priestess Siranna constellation or just try to sell it. All the polestars are decent. I don't think I "need" any of them, so I could probably part with it.

x4adcny0r29x.jpg

It has almost a 70% chance of dropping a polestar that could be sold for much more than the constellation. On the other hand, if it drops Civilian, then you'll have wasted 200 ISM (assuming you will recycle it).

I would probably open it, since I don't think people will be very keen on purchasing contellations when they can buy polestars directly.
  • Options
    I see we are already making jokes that the Human Polestar is worthless - why is creating something in the game that becomes worthless still a thing?

If I get a Constellation with a bunch of different traits, if one of them is Human I always get the Human Polestar - the total traits available for the Constellation canNOT be weighted equally - so I ask why?

Why create more random chance frustration in the game?

I have 21 Human Polestars at the moment, which is TEN TIMES more than most of the other traits I have - why allow this to happen?

Why create another game aspect that will frustrate your players and make them angry?
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see we are already making jokes that the Human Polestar is worthless - why is creating something in the game that becomes worthless still a thing?

If I get a Constellation with a bunch of different traits, if one of them is Human I always get the Human Polestar - the total traits available for the Constellation canNOT be weighted equally - so I ask why?

I have 21 Human Polestars at the moment, which is TEN TIMES more than most of the other traits I have - why allow this to happen?

Why create another game aspect that will frustrate your players and make them angry?

Well, they are not worthless

Dematerialize : allows you to get rid of a Constellation for 300 ISM, and of a Polestar for 800 ISM.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaBlack wrote: »

Well, they are not worthless

Dematerialize : allows you to get rid of a Constellation for 300 ISM, and of a Polestar for 800 ISM.

They are quite literally worthless, in that they are worth less than what you paid to acquire them.

I'd estimate that even with ads, I'm spending somewhere in excess of 2000 ISM on each successful scan. Getting less than half of that back for dematerialization just emphasises how unbalanced the system is.

BTW, if anybody's after Costumed polestars I appear to have all of them. It's not just the 'big three' that show up with depressing regularity.
  • Options
    I've already used the human polestar a few times to target a specific crew. We get a lot more of them than we need, but they're not useless. And being able to turn them into 800 ISM seems like a decent solution.

To be honest, most of the polestars I get when opening constellations are useless to me (as in, not required for any of the crew I plan to retrieve) and since the majority isn't particularly rare either, I don't think they'll sell to great prices in the celestial market.

I think it's still better than not having crew retrieval or the celestial market. At least neither of the two things strictly requires spending more money or time on the game.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Human/Federation/Starfleet are not useless at all, but they are overabundant (as any trait that targets a lot of characters is bound to be, by design)
  • Options
    the total traits available for the Constellation canNOT be weighted equally - so I ask why?

Out of curiosity, any evidence to support this claim other than anecdotal?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    the total traits available for the Constellation canNOT be weighted equally - so I ask why?

I doubt it, because they likely are weighted evenly. But Human/Federation/Starfleet show up in so many more constellations they end up dropping more overall.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

I doubt it, because they likely are weighted evenly. But Human/Federation/Starfleet show up in so many more constellations they end up dropping more overall.

Yeah, these are the three most common traits in the game, so it makes sense that people would have an overabundance of them. And they aren't worthless, just the most common. I've already ID'ed multiple CR combos that hinge on one or more of these traits; I'm happy to use them too, since I have so many, which will allow me to save the rarer polestars for where they're need more.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1495 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    The evidence is that if the Human Polestar is present in a Constellation it is the only Polestar that I ever get

I just had 2 Constellations in a row with like 8 available traits & received Human both times - just like the 21 times I received a Human Polestar

The only time I get Non-Human Polestars is when I get a Non-Human alien Constellation.
  • Options

This is not what I am saying at all. I don’t have a lot of Human Polestars because they are present in a lot of Constellations- I am saying if the Human Polestar is present that is the Polestar I WILL receive. It is inevitable...
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I’ll be curious to see is how constellations are priced relative to polestars. Ex: suppose we have a (fake) constellation containing fed+pilot. I imagine an individual pilot polestar would be priced higher than this constellation. But what about a (fake) constellation containing fed+pilot+hero? Would you pay perhaps 1.5x the cost of an individual pilot or hero polestar for the chance to pull either of them? Would you devalue the constellation because of the potential to get fed? I think it’ll be interesting.

Frankly, seeing as how we’re about to create a new pricing economy nearly from scratch, I’d think some enterprising business/psych student might want to hook up with WRG to review the metadata and write a thesis/honor project about the process. If anyone does so... remember me in your acknowledgment section! It wouldn’t be worth an entry on my CV, but it’d be cool nevertheless. 🙂
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I’ll be curious to see is how constellations are priced relative to polestars. Ex: suppose we have a (fake) constellation containing fed+pilot. I imagine an individual pilot polestar would be priced higher than this constellation. But what about a (fake) constellation containing fed+pilot+hero? Would you pay perhaps 1.5x the cost of an individual pilot or hero polestar for the chance to pull either of them? Would you devalue the constellation because of the potential to get fed? I think it’ll be interesting.

Frankly, seeing as how we’re about to create a new pricing economy nearly from scratch, I’d think some enterprising business/psych student might want to hook up with WRG to review the metadata and write a thesis/honor project about the process. If anyone does so... remember me in your acknowledgment section! It wouldn’t be worth an entry on my CV, but it’d be cool nevertheless. 🙂
    Constellations should be worth way less than the better polestar they contain, I suppose. You are risking not getting that polestar you want, plus, you have to add the 1000 ISM cost of opening them.
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not what I am saying at all. I don’t have a lot of Human Polestars because they are present in a lot of Constellations- I am saying if the Human Polestar is present that is the Polestar I WILL receive. It is inevitable...

So is this just hyperbole or have you tracked every single polestar you've gotten from a constellation with a Human polestar possible and it's been a 100% Human rate?
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    BTW, if anybody's after Costumed polestars I appear to have all of them. It's not just the 'big three' that show up with depressing regularity.

I have 1 costumed out of 146.

• Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »
    Human/Federation/Starfleet are not useless at all, but they are overabundant (as any trait that targets a lot of characters is bound to be, by design)

Well put. I've gotten use out of all three of them, but I also have more than I'll likely ever need.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    tyllanthortyllanthor ✭✭✭
    Recently, I opened 6 constellations that all contained Human and Starfleet polestars (as possible result).
    I got 1 Human and 2 Starfleet, which is quite good result.

I think, the probability of getting Human/Starfleet polestar from a constellation is lower if that constellation has a lot of polestars available in total. It also makes sense in the view of probability theory. It is a big difference if the chance of getting Human or Starfleet is 1/3 or 1/6.
  • Options

So is this just hyperbole or have you tracked every single polestar you've gotten from a constellation with a Human polestar possible and it's been a 100% Human rate?

It’s not hyperbole but I have not “tracked” it if you mean like writing it down & recording it in a spreadsheet or something - which would be absolute madness.

I cannot remember ever getting anything but Human when it is present. So even if the other traits are possible to drop, they must be weighted. Or I am a reincarnated demon from a previous life with the worst possible luck.

Regardless this is frustrating & stressful in a game that should be a 100% enjoyable diversion & not at all frustrating or stressful.

We are not even discussing how many attempts it can even take to get the Constellation to drop in the first place. Days sometimes go by & then after all of that you just get another Human Polestar?!

• Options
    General MortarsGeneral Mortars ✭✭✭✭
    No Value/Meme Value/Stonks - Federation, Human, Starfleet. (I hear Elon Musk just tweeted that Federation Polestars are the currency of the future!!!1!)

I disagree. The RNG is an a**hole. I did run out of Starfleet polestars a couple of months ago, and it took an awful long time to get the ones that I needed.
    I still only have 3 Starfleet polestars, so I will likely be needing to buy them. Other players might be short of Human or Federation polestars (which I have plenty). And as long as something is needed, it has value. (Probably not very high value in this case though.)
  • Options
    So it was stated earlier to keep track of Constellations & the Polestars that drop so...

I just got a Sinister Picard, had 6 available polestars - and Human dropped once again.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just opened Rianna Mayweather to test what would happen.

wa8nub7v6wz0.png
    nc0w8r83hxt0.png
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have multiples of Starfleet (6), Human (4), Desperate (3), and Civilian (3), besides a couple of the skills. Those are "common" or uncommon. I don't have excessive amounts though. I have 48 polestars currently. Not sure which ones I have used already. Considering I'm more likely to use some of the more unique ones than the above, given my current wants, those likely represent a smaller proportion of ALL my polestars received than what it appears.
    A given polestar's desirablity with likely fluctuate with each portal update. "Breen" only nets Breen Dukat right now. Once the Kira gets added, more people will want it. Contrary, some would be more desirable BEFORE a portal update to people wants to make a retrieval before it dilutes the pool. "Android" and "Hologram" will only get the EMA currently, but, later, it will require a third token to exclude Musketeer Data.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Out of the 93 Polestars I currently have - 21 are Human (and I just recently used a Human in my last selection)

Also of those 93 total - 31 are singles - meaning I have only one of the Polestar

Not sure how many Polestars I have used historically

But currently - 22.5% of my Total Polestar Inventory = Human

How do you view those statistics as anything but frustrating?