Home The Bridge
Options

Predictions on Polestar Values in the Celestial Market

13»

Comments

• Options
    [GoT] LuckyNumberHat[GoT] LuckyNumberHat ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Out of the 93 Polestars I currently have - 21 are Human (and I just recently used a Human in my last selection)

Also of those 93 total - 31 are singles - meaning I have only one of the Polestar

Not sure how many Polestars I have used historically

But currently - 22.5% of my Total Polestar Inventory = Human

How do you view those statistics as anything but frustrating?

I'm totally with you on it being frustrating. It's just also not that crazy. Over 50% of the current Constellations have the Human Polestar. Figure most have around 4 traits, that means about 12-15% of your Polestars should be Human. Throw in that you've probably used a few Polestars that aren't Human and it looks like you're pretty close to average, maybe a little bad luck from RNG, but nothing absurd.

Again, I feel your frustration, but really that's just frustration with how math works.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get that it's frustrating, but at least the drop rates seem to be consistent with the total number of constellations and their polestars, AND if you have too many of any, at least you can choose not to open constallations with certain polestars, and keep the ISM to scan for more.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not really "prediction" anymore, but reality. I've had fun watching the prices. I've acquired a lot of ISM and polestars. Seems like the most sought polestars are Breen, Legendary, and Hero.

The ones that surprised me the most were the collection polestars, like Costumed, Diplomat, and Survivalist going pretty cheap. I stocked up on those.

Anyone else watching the prices?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Since retrieval launched I had been doing scan + warp up until the ISM cost got to 2,100. This means I have been spending 1,200 ISM per day for 8 scans. If I got lucky and found a constellation every day, then my polestar cost would be 2,200 ISM (including opening the constellation). If it were every other day, the cost would be 3,400 ISM. That is all without a guarantee that the polestar acquired would be useful.

I have bought over 30 useful polestars so far, all under 3,500 ISM (most under 1,500 and several under the 1,000 constellation opening cost). I even managed to snag a constellation for 450 ISM that had only 5 at least relatively rare polestars (I got one that was selling for 12,000+ on the market).

I expect to scan less in the future, since this market allows me to spend my ISM on polestars I want, rather than risking it on a double gamble - scanning and constellations. So far so good!
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Since retrieval launched I had been doing scan + warp up until the ISM cost got to 2,100. This means I have been spending 1,200 ISM per day for 8 scans. If I got lucky and found a constellation every day, then my polestar cost would be 2,200 ISM (including opening the constellation). If it were every other day, the cost would be 3,400 ISM. That is all without a guarantee that the polestar acquired would be useful.

I have bought over 30 useful polestars so far, all under 3,500 ISM (most under 1,500 and several under the 1,000 constellation opening cost). I even managed to snag a constellation for 450 ISM that had only 5 at least relatively rare polestars (I got one that was selling for 12,000+ on the market).

I expect to scan less in the future, since this market allows me to spend my ISM on polestars I want, rather than risking it on a double gamble - scanning and constellations. So far so good!
    Totally agree. I think I might scan only for the daily task (and adwarp), and that's it. (I think I spent less than 500 ISM in scans yesterday)
  • Options
    I hope everyone scans up to 300 to keep the market flowing. I can understand stopping there or going a little further. Maybe some players who sold well can go up to 2,100. I plan to go to 800 + ad.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    I hope everyone scans up to 300 to keep the market flowing. I can understand stopping there or going a little further. Maybe some players who sold well can go up to 2,100. I plan to go to 800 + ad.

I'll probably do the same, maybe drop to 300 if it looks like the market is providing better value.

I've also been watching the market- I'm wondering a couple of scenarios:
    * People holding on to rare polestars that allow targeting of fairly low demand crew may find the price drops as the initial rush for those subsides.
    * On the other side, someone holding off paying a high price for a rare polestar giving a top tier crew, may find prices continue to rise if more people add to demand quicker than sellers find more polestars.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Same. After crew retrieval launched I mostly used ads to get free scans, but going forward I'll probably only do that Sun & Tues, and go back to doubling cadet missions the rest of the week.
    Excellent point, especially for those of us sitting on a trove of polestars who don't need to use the Market any time soon.

I suspect we'll see another burst of activity after the Portal update, and future such updates as well.

Things will probably cool off between Portal updates, but I suspect the Market will still see steady activity. An endgame player may have a horde of polestars, but most people do not. And one nice thing about the Market cooling is pricing will likely decrease even further.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Regarding the initial topic, pricing for polestars started lower than I expected, and dropped faster than I expected.

I figured folks with 100k+ stashes (including myself) would be dropping 25k or more on priority polestars, and sellers would keep their prices at those levels longer than was reasonable in the hopes of making a windfall. But the most expensive polestar, one of my first, was 15k for Bajoran. I believe there were only two other times I spent much over 10k after that, for Exomycologist and Science.

Even if the price of some polestars sees a bump following the Portal update, overall it feels like they got down to a pretty healthy level. I'm curious if more casual players feel the same way. 10k ISM isn't nothing, especially if you aren't in an active fleet or struggle to complete daily missions, but I suspect quantum generation and credits are the bigger blocker here.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Regarding the initial topic, pricing for polestars started lower than I expected, and dropped faster than I expected.

I figured folks with 100k+ stashes (including myself) would be dropping 25k or more on priority polestars, and sellers would keep their prices at those levels longer than was reasonable in the hopes of making a windfall. But the most expensive polestar, one of my first, was 15k for Bajoran. I believe there were only two other times I spent much over 10k after that, for Exomycologist and Science.

Even if the price of some polestars sees a bump following the Portal update, overall it feels like they got down to a pretty healthy level. I'm curious if more casual players feel the same way. 10k ISM isn't nothing, especially if you aren't in an active fleet or struggle to complete daily missions, but I suspect quantum generation and credits are the bigger blocker here.

Some good points, but remember... most players don't just need one polestar. Even those who started with hoards of 100k+ need 2-4 copies of a polestar to immortalize their target legendary. You can't go dropping more than a quarter of your stash in that scenario. Especially if you have more than one retrieval target.

If you want some expensive polestars to track, look at Legendary, Breen, and Hero. Some others have held some decent values - Borg, Hologram, and Temporal Agent are a couple mid-tier polestars I've watched. Those three have some 6k+ orders and 16k+ listings.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good points, but remember... most players don't just need one polestar. Even those who started with hoards of 100k+ need 2-4 copies of a polestar to immortalize their target legendary. You can't go dropping more than a quarter of your stash in that scenario. Especially if you have more than one retrieval target.

If you want some expensive polestars to track, look at Legendary, Breen, and Hero. Some others have held some decent values - Borg, Hologram, and Temporal Agent are a couple mid-tier polestars I've watched. Those three have some 6k+ orders and 16k+ listings.

I don’t get the breen prices at all. You don’t need it for Kira, resourceful saboteur bajoran cost like 1/4 what breen is going for and gets you the same crew
  • Options

I don’t get the breen prices at all. You don’t need it for Kira, resourceful saboteur bajoran cost like 1/4 what breen is going for and gets you the same crew

My best guess is that players who don't use the player-created tools outside of the game do not know this. Combine that with a scarcity factor and you get those high prices.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options

I think I also miscalculated how many folks were amassing a long list like myself. I assumed I was an outlier, but even if that's technically the case, I've learned I have plenty of company!

Starport