Options

Event Discussion Thread: Faction Event - Furred Up - 2021-08-19 ME#3

Comments

• Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Quite disappointing that Sato is a medicore 4* only, and every
    new legendary crew this Mega being from TOS, doesn t help either. 🙁

BTW: Tribble Chekov is the 500th Legendary crew, being added to the vault.

And his stats are almost an exact copy of Dancing Chekov 🙄
    a34jsl7s8fw5.jpeg
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pretty excited at the beginning of the mega event. Tribbles is a great theme. The collection also helped. Kirk has good stats and a fun ship ability. The promise of Tribble Quark returning still has me curious. McCoy's stats are kind of good. I was motivated to get top 100 in the first two events.

But then the wind started coming out of my sails. Uhura's stats are mediocre and skill combo is common. I gave it a pass since I liked the art. Sulu's stats are mediocre and the skill combo is common. Got a little deflated, but held out hope for whoever would be the last legendary. Chekov's stats are weak (not even mediocre) and his skill combo is common.

Do I keep going? Do I take what I have and check out before the end of the mega event? I was going to push for top 100's throughout, but it's not seeming like a good use of resources. I was really looking forward to recap packs. Sitting on a pile of dilithium and having each legendary at 3/5 was pretty appealing. Looks like it'll do practically nothing for my roster, though. I guess I'll sleep on it tonight and see how I feel in the morning.

I'm curious if anyone else is having similar thoughts on this mega event and recap packs.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Was the text for Tribble Sato run through Google Translate into Japanese and then back to English or something? This is terrible.

40or8ldm5z5t.png

This will be fixed likely next week.

Its a haiku....... @Shan
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't pay attention to the announcement, so I was expecting a Hybrid event :(
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    Was the text for Tribble Sato run through Google Translate into Japanese and then back to English or something? This is terrible.

40or8ldm5z5t.png

Its a haiku....... @Shan

That's one way to look at it!
    Update: we're looking into fixing it sooner than next week.
  • Options
    Random four hour shuttles for all?
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALeeRocks wrote: »
    DCPilot wrote: »
    Hoshi's flavor text comes across as incredibly racist and offensive. Please fix it sooner than next week.

Really? I do not understand why this oversight must immediately head down that racism path...

So if Yoda were asian/oriental, would that make his character offensive as well?

Thank you.
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭

40or8ldm5z5t.png

Thankfullness for the Shan love are explanation satisfaction.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoshi's flavor text comes across as incredibly racist and offensive. Please fix it sooner than next week.

Really? I do not understand why this oversight must immediately head down that racism path...

So if Yoda were asian/oriental, would that make his character offensive as well?

No, because that was clearly a specific grammatical structure leveraged for that character.

Personally, I don't find the wording offensive by itself (incredibly bizarre, definitely), but the placement beside one of the few Asian characters in Trek is unfortunate and I don't blame some for finding the juxtaposition racist.
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The updated text isn't much better. Must be the same translator that works for this TV guide:

uz3ao4ja1vnu.jpg
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »

No, because that was clearly a specific grammatical structure leveraged for that character.

Personally, I don't find the wording offensive by itself (incredibly bizarre, definitely), but the placement beside one of the few Asian characters in Trek is unfortunate and I don't blame some for finding the juxtaposition racist.

While I imagine "Yoda speak" was created specific for that character, if he displayed asian/oriental physical characteristics, then could not that juxtaposition be found by some as racist?

Of course, I do not know how/why this oversight occurred, but why cannot we just assume it is an innocent mistake instead of immediately jumping to controversial subject areas?
  • Options
    free tacos

3jdt0fwbc4p3.png

Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just have to chime in with the observation that having seventeen syllables isn’t the only thing that qualifies a collection of words as a haiku.

They are also supposed to make sense.

Grammar and a rational sentence structure is a thing, even in haiku.

Even if the person that dropped that text wasn’t being intentionally racist they were certainly not being nearly as clever as they thought.

I get that it was supposed to be seen internally only, but quite frankly we are all aware that QC and not letting things slip through the cracks are not this gang’s strong suit.

And now there is a gigantic debate over whether the pidgin English that made it into the wild was racist or not.

Which all serves to point out that Ipso Lorum is a thing for a reason.

🤷🤦

I read it from the perspective of the Tribble. It's a Tribble Haiku. Remember, these guys die really easy and are easy prey. Tribbles are like edible Pakleds. Not exactly the sharpest spoon in the utensil drawer......

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Commodore PackCommodore Pack ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just have to chime in with the observation that having seventeen syllables isn’t the only thing that qualifies a collection of words as a haiku.

They are also supposed to make sense.

Grammar and a rational sentence structure is a thing, even in haiku.

Even if the person that dropped that text wasn’t being intentionally racist they were certainly not being nearly as clever as they thought.

I get that it was supposed to be seen internally only, but quite frankly we are all aware that QC and not letting things slip through the cracks are not this gang’s strong suit.

And now there is a gigantic debate over whether the pidgin English that made it into the wild was racist or not.

Which all serves to point out that Ipso Lorum is a thing for a reason.

🤷🤦

I read it from the perspective of the Tribble. It's a Tribble Haiku. Remember, these guys die really easy and are easy prey. Tribbles are like edible Pakleds. Not exactly the sharpest spoon in the utensil drawer......

Be careful, sir!
    While I find that an intriguing interpretation, you might not want to be the one responsible for sparking the great Tribble Sentience debates of 2021!!! 😳
  • Options
    MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭
    I was pretty excited at the beginning of the mega event. Tribbles is a great theme. The collection also helped. Kirk has good stats and a fun ship ability. The promise of Tribble Quark returning still has me curious. McCoy's stats are kind of good. I was motivated to get top 100 in the first two events.

But then the wind started coming out of my sails. Uhura's stats are mediocre and skill combo is common. I gave it a pass since I liked the art. Sulu's stats are mediocre and the skill combo is common. Got a little deflated, but held out hope for whoever would be the last legendary. Chekov's stats are weak (not even mediocre) and his skill combo is common.

Do I keep going? Do I take what I have and check out before the end of the mega event? I was going to push for top 100's throughout, but it's not seeming like a good use of resources. I was really looking forward to recap packs. Sitting on a pile of dilithium and having each legendary at 3/5 was pretty appealing. Looks like it'll do practically nothing for my roster, though. I guess I'll sleep on it tonight and see how I feel in the morning.

I'm curious if anyone else is having similar thoughts on this mega event and recap packs.

This pretty much sums up my emotions as this event has gone. Will probably at least try to get a copy of each from top 1500, but not sure how much more than that.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tribble Chekov’s stats stink. Was gonna buy a huge number of event wrap up packs but I won’t now.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    GitssacGitssac ✭✭✭
    Assuming single faction events are going to keep on coming… any chance they could at least not always be Federation?