Home The Bridge

Event Discussion Thread: Skirmish Event - A Bed of Mushrooms Mega-Event Finale - 2021-08-26

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
Event notes: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/18478/skirmish-event-notes-a-bed-of-mushrooms-mega-event-finale-2021-08-26

I am glad you all seemed to enjoy this tribbled turn of events .. I will see myself out .. don't push!

Comments

• Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    LJR. YES YES YES
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phlox has the Federation trait, just like Sato. I take it these will be corrected at some point?
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Phlox has the Federation trait, just like Sato. I take it these will be corrected at some point?

Grumble grumble, yes!
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these blank for everyone?4icy6njpzp5i.jpeg
    qmm58ya8nrn8.jpeg
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you don't have to go looking, the repeat event after the Mega is For Charity.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always... yeah skirmish! :)

Apologies in advance to those who want/need Little John. He’s a really nice variant, but I have him FF, so I expect to airlock at least 2 copies. As I’ve said before, I wish we had a passing-to-lower-ranks system for situations like this... but we don’t. :'(

To answer the usual feedback: no, I will not start a second copy (I described my current thinking on 5* dups in another recent thread), and no, I will not under-compete for him since that would mean giving up the honor gains from skirmish. If this was a faction or galaxy, I would slow-play it, but not for skirmish.

With that said... yes, I have enjoyed a month full of tribbles. Thanks WRG!
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    qmm58ya8nrn8.jpeg

Bonus Roddenberries?
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see Tribble Quark is event crew, which was mostly expected. That's cool, but... will he be in recap packs, @Shan ?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    So you don't have to go looking, the repeat event after the Mega is For Charity.

And for those wondering, the Featured 4*'s in that one were Dress Uniform Bashir and Klingon Quark.

Between Bashirs, Quarks, and Rikers, the bonus pool is pretty hefty by now. That would make this event's reward Tourist Quark bonus crew. Granted, that usefulness will be marginal since "For Charity" is a Galaxy Event.

Still, I know several of us have in the past suggested/requested revamping the rewards table so the reward 4* be useful the following week, as is the rank 5*. Could just be coincidence, but it'd be a welcomed tweak if it's the beginning of something regular. It would also have a significant impact on the competitiveness of events. So long as it remains an existing crew and not a new one, though, I'd be fine with it.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see Tribble Quark is event crew, which was mostly expected. That's cool, but... will he be in recap packs, @Shan ?

I asked and the reply is yes, Tribble Quark will be in the recap packs.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    qmm58ya8nrn8.jpeg

Looking into it.
  • Are these blank for everyone?4icy6njpzp5i.jpeg
    qmm58ya8nrn8.jpeg

Bonus Roddenberries?

I wish, but most likely it's the new 5* ship, the USS Glenn.
    Shan wrote: »

Thank you for checking. It's not really the response I hoped for. I'm going to start another thread. Hopefully they aren't fully committed to that.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Phlox is Inspiring, although i’m not sure why it’s a nice surprise :lol:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh you! ;)
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for checking. It's not really the response I hoped for. I'm going to start another thread. Hopefully they aren't fully committed to that.

“You”. Shan is part of the team.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

I am and I do not think Lorca is trying to imply the contrary, just that it is not something I have direct control on.

And recognizing me being the messenger in this scenario :D
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »

Grumble grumble, yes!

Thanks Shan.

I am and I do not think Lorca is trying to imply the contrary, just that it is not something I have direct control on.

And recognizing me being the messenger in this scenario :D

And also that you in particular were not committed to the decision, since you had to go ask. ;) I hope I can convince you that the concerns are worth bringing back to the rest of the team.
    Farewell 🖖
    I have to disagree with your "incentive to increase spending" sentiment. Here's why:
    1. Replacing an existing purple with Quark increases the likelihood of getting Phlox from about 45% to about 90%. If you don't get a gold on your first buy, you're getting Phlox. 650 dil and done.
    2. Adding Quark to the recaps changes the event gold drops from a guarantee of a new crew (unless you added the 5th * to the recurring and/or Top 3'd an event) to a 1/6 chance of an existing gold that much, if not a majority, of the active (daily) player base already has @ 5/5. Some players may be willing to walk away from the recaps, especially since there are no Sarumans or Dexas in this event.
    3. Precendent has been set. Now, when pulling recaps or citing the recurring gold, you run the risk of having your expenditure diluted in an upcoming mega.

These points make this decision seem more like a disincentive instead of an incentive. Only one of us can be right and I'm sure WRG will be collecting the data to know which one it will be.

These are good points. I should probably vote with my wallet.
    Farewell 🖖
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to disagree with your "incentive to increase spending" sentiment. Here's why:
    1. Replacing an existing purple with Quark increases the likelihood of getting Phlox from about 45% to about 90%. If you don't get a gold on your first buy, you're getting Phlox. 650 dil and done.
    2. Adding Quark to the recaps changes the event gold drops from a guarantee of a new crew (unless you added the 5th * to the recurring and/or Top 3'd an event) to a 1/6 chance of an existing gold that much, if not a majority, of the active (daily) player base already has @ 5/5. Some players may be willing to walk away from the recaps, especially since there are no Sarumans or Dexas in this event.
    3. Precendent has been set. Now, when pulling recaps or citing the recurring gold, you run the risk of having your expenditure diluted in an upcoming mega.

These points make this decision seem more like a disincentive instead of an incentive. Only one of us can be right and I'm sure WRG will be collecting the data to know which one it will be.

If tourist quark is not in the event pack, they're getting a pack purchase from me that they wouldn't normally get. If he is in the pack then it's no different than a normal event pack and I'll skip because of the 45% chance of getting a character I have FF. Either way I won't be buying recap packs because of all the FF 4*. I'd rather a 650 recap with a behold of event crew than a discount pack with a straight drop.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a lot of people upset about getting so many odos before a Sato today so I think it will be a welcome event pack. If I see another Klingon Quark from a pack.....
  • KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭

Those are all good points. Though I feel they are arguing a different point than the one I am trying to make, which is why I didn't post it in the Quark poll thread.
    From the WRG perspective Quark being added to the packs is a bigger draw, trying to get more purchases from players who hadn't FF'd him yet. They are not actively putting him into the pack to try and turn ppl away. Now, I am not trying to defend the choice, only clarifying for the sake of my point, as I said you shared very good points as to why ppl will walk away from these packs and we will just have to wait and see what the data tells them.
    My point is that Quarks inclusion is being used only in a way that they believe will increase pack purchases and by extension dilithium purchases. I am frustrated that Quarks inclusion does absolutely nothing to increase gameplay or competition in the event. If he was a ranked reward or threshold, I and everyone who is likely to try him in a pack would have played harder, put in more time and resources to aquire him. Basically, they are missing an opportunity to encourage players to PLAY the GAME more in favor of an opportunity to SELL more. Maybe it works out for their bottom line, but it does zero to make the game more fun and engaging.
    When Quark was first announced to be featured in week 4 I assumed it was in an attempt to encourage higher player turn out, experimenting with the mega formula to draw more players in the final week when there is usually less incentive and more chance of ppl going thresholds and out. Similar to how they had two new super rare cards in week 4 for that recent mega. Sadly, no. Thresholds and out?
    KPan [ISA] wrote: »

Those are all good points. Though I feel they are arguing a different point than the one I am trying to make, which is why I didn't post it in the Quark poll thread.
    From the WRG perspective Quark being added to the packs is a bigger draw, trying to get more purchases from players who hadn't FF'd him yet. They are not actively putting him into the pack to try and turn ppl away. Now, I am not trying to defend the choice, only clarifying for the sake of my point, as I said you shared very good points as to why ppl will walk away from these packs and we will just have to wait and see what the data tells them.
    My point is that Quarks inclusion is being used only in a way that they believe will increase pack purchases and by extension dilithium purchases. I am frustrated that Quarks inclusion does absolutely nothing to increase gameplay or competition in the event. If he was a ranked reward or threshold, I and everyone who is likely to try him in a pack would have played harder, put in more time and resources to aquire him. Basically, they are missing an opportunity to encourage players to PLAY the GAME more in favor of an opportunity to SELL more. Maybe it works out for their bottom line, but it does zero to make the game more fun and engaging.
    When Quark was first announced to be featured in week 4 I assumed it was in an attempt to encourage higher player turn out, experimenting with the mega formula to draw more players in the final week when there is usually less incentive and more chance of ppl going thresholds and out. Similar to how they had two new super rare cards in week 4 for that recent mega. Sadly, no. Thresholds and out?

The poll is currently at a ratio of three No's for every Yes. If they thought it would improve sales to include Quark, I hope the poll* shows otherwise. I wish they would take your suggestion of a gameplay route instead.

*Disclaimer: Forum polls are a small swath of the player base, and tends to favor spenders in my past experience. That actually works in favor of the poll though, since recap packs are largely purchased by spenders.
    Farewell 🖖
    Chiming in with some context regarding Tribble Quark:

- he is being used in this mega-event due to the theme of the event.

- he will be in the mega event recap pack to respect the format of previous mega event recap packs.

That's it, nothing else.

I totally understand some of your misgivings about this, and I will relay them.

I definitely appreciate the quick response. It helps me plan my next couple events. Which is to say... I won't be doing much this week. Or buying recaps. :( Such a buzz kill. I was really looking forward to this mega event. Between bad stats on Chekov, mediocre stats on Sulu and Uhura, and McCoy being almost identical to Homesteader Janeway, and now the possibility of an infuriating pull in recap packs... I'm done with the mega event. :(

I want more copies of Little John Riker and that skirmish loot, so I'll play in that event and sit on my pile of dilithium a bit longer.
    Farewell 🖖
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

- he will be in the mega event recap pack to respect the format of previous mega event recap packs.

That's it, nothing else.

The logic for including him makes sense to me. I do feel it's unfortunate that this is happening with back to back Megas. If this was 6 months down the road and he was about to be included in a portal update, I don't think people would have as many misgivings.
    robownage wrote: »

That's it, nothing else.

The logic for including him makes sense to me. I do feel it's unfortunate that this is happening with back to back Megas. If this was 6 months down the road and he was about to be included in a portal update, I don't think people would have as many misgivings.

You might be right. I would like to add that if it weren't the recurring legendary, that could also change the dynamic significantly. Strength of the crew would also matter. If Human Saru were included in the next mega or the one following, I think there would some reactions like, "well that's out of the ordinary, but I won't turn down a duplicate Saruman."
    Farewell 🖖