Home The Bridge
Options

Thoughts from a 6-year player

Star Trek has always been in my blood, so this game was destined to seek me out. I remember when it was a long hard slog to do even the simplest things. In the Before Time there was no arena, no gauntlet, no replicator, no fleets, no voyages. I remember when events weren't even a weekly occurrence. And if you wanted to check if something was available in a faction shop you had to warp to Every. Single. One. Now the game has changed almost beyond recognition. So many new features! And yet still so many bugs and annoyances.

Star Trek itself is changing beyond recognition. I enjoyed DSC and Picard but Paramount's decision to make the shows harder for fans to watch has dulled my enthusiasm. And that whole debacle a few years ago when they were suing fans for making their own shows was pretty ugly. That's just not how to treat fans, especially when Star Trek wouldn't exist in any form today without the tireless efforts of fans fighting for its resurrection 40+ years ago. Now there are so many new shows on the horizon it feels like there's a factory cynically churning the stuff out. I'm weary of it all.

The game reflects some of this changing landscape. Even 5 years in, I would still get excited about events and tried hard to get my favourite characters. But the more time passes, the fewer characters I'm going to recognise or care about. George & Gracie were my Holy Grail and - well, there they are, swimming and singing on my ship.

What dismays me most of all is the bombardment of LTOs and other pop-ups when I'm just trying to play the actual game. I don't understand why they need to leap in front of me when I'm recalling a shuttle, forcing me to inadvertently click a "buy" button and then have to cancel it. And reopening the game to rid it of annoying bugs (like crew notations still showing 1 when I've already fused a character) just means I have to run the gantlet of those pop-ups again. It's completely destroyed any sense of immersion I used to have in the game. I feel like I'm in the world of Minority Report instead of Star Trek.

Others have said it better, but let me add my voice to theirs: Events are stale and objective events are just resource-burning busywork. There's no actual "gameplay" - just tapping, tapping, tapping. And however much I may want that 10-pull reward, it's just not worth all the tapping. Especially when I'll only get some schems, airlock blues and invariably an all-frozen behold. The struggle is real for those of us with deep crew, and it feels like punishment for our loyalty.

I do like the innovation of crew retrieval, especially as a long-time player with hundreds of characters. And collections, while not actually giving all those crew anything to DO, at least add a little more interest if not strategy. But those are the only aspects that feel aimed at those of us who have been here almost since the beginning. I wish there was more to do. I wish there was more FUN.

I also wish this post could have been more positive, but I set out to explore my feelings about the game and there it is. Maybe it's time to hang up my uniform and retire to some lovely warm planet. One where I can swim with George & Gracie.
"There are two types of beings in the universe - those who dance, and those who do not."

Comments

• Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I've been here since the beginning as well. For me it's just a casual collection game. One goal was to get 10 hours for the voyage, which I can do about a quarter of the time. Maybe get that up to half.

The events were exciting to me for about 3 years. That first Captain Proton was something special. Then I think somewhere around when Discovery came out the game's population exploded and I could no longer place in the events. Yes, I could still now in skirmish and galaxy but back then it required about 6 hours of tapping. Now it's what, 60 hours? No thanks. I don't really understand how anyone could stomach that.

I really have no solutions. Maybe some kind of personal mega expedition that is pretty challenging. I dunno. But I'll hang out and get the 8 to 10 4star golds they give each year until the lights go out.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Couldnt agree more with the OP.

The whole problem is that the developers are currently in a phase where the agenda is obviously not geared toward player retention. I think there is a sweet spot for revenues from players that trails off after players have developed their rosters enough. So the developers are focussed on the player group that spend the most, which are the ones that are developing rosters. The true irony here, is that those players WOULD NOT EVEN BE PLAYING THIS GAME IF IT WERE NOT FOR THE ABUNDANTLY AVAILABLE RESOURCES THAT WERE DEVELOPED AND MAINTAINED BY PLAYERS.

If every veteran captain, rank 40 and above, were to suddenly quit this game, and every player made resource were to suddenly vanish, the complexity of this game would overwhelm the players and I suspect they would not even bother with it. There would be no leaders to chase on the leader board, and the overwhelming aspects of honor debt would absolutely cripple this game.

The veterans are the only things keeping this game going. And we get no respect and no quarter for it. This is my beef with the game developers. They have no respect for what they are taking advantage of. Comment moderated - ~Shan

They teased a "new feature", but I can promise it will be similar in scope as crew retrieval. There won't be much, if any, new "content". There won't be anything new for players to actually do with their crew.

And the sad realization, is that all of the collecting is really just a compulsory exercise. You cant take the pixels with you when the game ends, and sadly, you cant currently really even use the pixels in the game as there are simply no real ways to utilize a roster with a lot of immortalized golds.

• Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s be honest: the game is stale. The point of the game is to collect cards and do what with them?

That, and the ongoing quality/communication issues are the biggest issues in the game. They will undoubtedly lead to its end, if unaddressed.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two posts were removed from this thread.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    V. wrote: »
    Yes, I could still now in skirmish and galaxy but back then it required about 6 hours of tapping. Now it's what, 60 hours?

I placed #112 last week. I didn’t do 60 hours of tapping.

Back in the day to get a 2/5 you had to place in the top 25. Now it’s top 750 which is much, much less effort.

Generally, the game gives you more chores to do but its also mostly easier. It would still be nice if they added a new game play feature. Objective events are certainly not it. Even the month long objective events are silly although getting a 4/5 for the trivial amount of effort they take is nice.

I'm curious how many hours you estimate it would take for top 1000 galaxy. I'd be willing to go maybe 8.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Calhoun wrote: »
    .... being able to collect one crew member once a month ain't it.

This is best sentence in this forum for a quite some time....
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I could still now in skirmish and galaxy but back then it required about 6 hours of tapping. Now it's what, 60 hours?

Back in the day to get a 2/5 you had to place in the top 25. Now it’s top 750 which is much, much less effort.

Generally, the game gives you more chores to do but its also mostly easier. It would still be nice if they added a new game play feature. Objective events are certainly not it. Even the month long objective events are silly although getting a 4/5 for the trivial amount of effort they take is nice.

I'm curious how many hours you estimate it would take for top 1000 galaxy. I'd be willing to go maybe 8.

I believe it’s 6 hours or less. Think I got a top 750 with 4 hours of effort.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »

Depends on your crew and the rewards. I squeaked just into the top 1500 to get a Faltorpan Spock and it probably took me 6-8 hours. Maybe even more.

Having a well developed 5* is a huge boon for a Galaxy. Getting Lt Ogawa last week was helped along by having a 5/5 COP Picard.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Depends on your crew and the rewards. I squeaked just into the top 1500 to get a Faltorpan Spock and it probably took me 6-8 hours. Maybe even more.

Having a well developed 5* is a huge boon for a Galaxy. Getting Lt Ogawa last week was helped along by having a 5/5 COP Picard.

6-8hs for top 1.500? So you only can do 100k or less per hour in a galaxy?

I can do 400k an hour(instant cash in of rares) in a galaxy event.
    So Top750 is doable in less than 3hs.
    Requires a fast device and connection though.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

6-8hs for top 1.500? So you only can do 100k or less per hour in a galaxy?

I can do 400k an hour(instant cash in of rares) in a galaxy event.
    So Top750 is doable in less than 3hs.
    Requires a fast device and connection though.

I can score well but I was just pointing out one particular event with a desirable crew required more work than other similar events. A faster phone would be nice though.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhamel wrote: »
    If so many long-time players voice the same opinion, and if I was a developer or a distributor, I would be deeply concerned. I would be inviting some of them for a staff meeting and give them a platform to post their suggestions and wishes how to improve the game in a way that it stays beneficial for the ones who are working on / for it, but also in a way that the players have more FUN playing the game rather than just rinse and repeat.

Way back when the game launched, there actually was a select group of players selected to participate on a council. It was disbanded shortly after I started playing, meaning it only lasted a few months. I don't recall the reason(s) given for disbanding it, or even if any were given. I think the Make It So! forum largely makes such a council redundant. Instead of a handful of select players brainstorming with the devs, that subforum is a chance to see just how much support an idea even has among the player base--or, at least, the base's proxies here on the forum.

Which is not to say I don't support the idea of a new council; I actually would. There are several of our fellow forum members I think could be constructive as participants. If nothing else, one benefit would be that the council members could take on a job that none of the game's owners have done regularly, and that's to just let us know outright if an idea someone has was rejected or under consideration. They could leave things that are actively being developed as "under consideration" to cut down on demands for a time table and specifics that aren't ready. Letterboxd does this with their feedback system and I think it's a key reason so many of us feel engaged by that site. A player council that, at absolute minimum, did that would go a long way toward making a lot forum members stop feeling like we're throwing messages in bottles into the sea when we bother posting in Make It So.
  • Options
    I agree with many sentiments echoed in this thread. I’ve been here since 4-16 of the first year.

I acknowledge that many improvements have been made over the years (Do we all remember life before the replicator? 😆) I’m not trying to dismiss or downplay those additions, but I wish we had more. In particular, I enjoyed the missions and trying to decide what character set up would be best to pass. I wish they would find a way to expand those and evolve them in some way so it’s not just one and done scenario. Just my humble opinion…

I like Travis’ idea of a council to try and give more focus to concerns and hopes, instead of shotgunning them all over the Forums.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last two months have convinced me for the first time that they've fully switched to milking mode.

- OEs are a chore designed to fluff up their engagement metrics and introduce zero new gameplay.
    - They've repeatedly (five times?) copy/pasted flavor text from the first paragraph of characters' Memory Alpha pages.
    - They've kept going back on their word about not putting exclusive crew in LTOs.
    - Entire trait lists that confirm nobody with a basic understanding vetted them (Prophet Kira, Quarren)
    - Trouble keeping the basic content train running on time (OE, crew art)

and a lot of other things like repeating the Convergence Day threshold issue despite assuring us after last time that wouldn't be the case. I'm sure none of the players like to be reminded that we're a smaller group each year.

Or not getting Lower Decks right while other games do. I won't pretend to know what goes into acquiring those rights, but as a player, that's the kind of sign that maybe we're playing the wrong game.

Like most other players I'm here because I made friends from years ago and because I like Star Trek. Last year brought us a glimmer of hope with Crew Retrieval and finally some dev communication, but that's gone a bit sour as well. At this point I'm just enjoying the ride with my buddies and listening to the signals WRG is putting out that say stop spending on our game.

I started thinking that TP/WRG began milking things when they introduced Crew Retrieval and the Celestial Temple back to back. I’m not saying that these weren’t good additions, just that they were a sign that finding uses for all of these crew wasn’t a priority. Someday soon, my spending will stop, probably for good.
  • Options
    Judging by the flavor and types of "special offers" that we are bombarded with, I think they are already at the desperation point, most of the offers I see now a days used to be spaced out more, Todays offer of either 15 packs, 3000 chrons and 3000 dil and/or 20 packs 2500 chrons 2000 dil, really screams to me "we need money now". Or maybe they just didnt do any QA/QC. Id give that one 50/50.

I have to admit, the ship ability "I don't want the game to end" on the new dahj seems like it might be a bit on the nose. Afterall, picard was the one who said that. Maybe the game is already over.

Or maybe we just had a non-trekkie person doing the QA on the game. I would give it a 50/50 at this point as well.

• Options
    MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭
    I started playing on 24 April 2016, so I remember the Before Times. Man, we really did have to walk uphill both ways, didn't we? I feel like we could go back to 2017 and find similar sentiments. I think the fact so many things have been added along the way and we're still left feeling this way speaks to the underlying problem: The game mechanics are inherently limited. I can't think of any element that isn't already being used somehow. Hell, voyages combine all of a crew's information: skills; base stats; proficiency stats; and traits. What's left? I'm reminded of the scene in the Q Continuum in "Death Wish":
    QUINN: I traveled the road many times. Sat on the porch... played the games... been the dog... everything. I was even the scarecrow for awhile.
    JANEWAY: Why?
    QUINN: Because I hadn't done it.
    Q: Oh, we've all done the scarecrow. Big deal.

Maybe for the seventh anniversary, we can get an avatar of the scarecrow.

In lieu of the scarecrow, I went ahead and changed my avatar to Quinn:

z2voo7xffdf3.jpg

Makes sense, since we've all been the scarecrow.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    100k Chronitons and 50m credits though. <3 But yeah, that UI bug ... it hasn't aged well.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    Jhamel wrote: »
    100k Chronitons and 50m credits though. <3 But yeah, that UI bug ... it hasn't aged well.

I'd go as far as to say the game itself hasn't aged well. It is a corked bottle of wine.