Home The Bridge
Options

Displaced Trait

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »
    Peets wrote: »
    If you want WRG to add missing treats then we should also be fair about wrongly added treats.
    It should be a two way street.

Except it leans much more to removing even justified Traits, but not adding missing justified ones. How long has the MEDICAL DOCTOR Prisoner Cornwell been in the game? Who practices her specific medical specialty while a prisoner? Still missing the "Physician" Trait.

She’s a counselor, not a physician. The absence of the physician trait makes sense there.

She's a DOCTOR who specializes in treating PTSD. Which she does for Tyler while they are in the meat locker.

Lorca: I hate doctors. {Referring to not getting MEDICAL treatment for his eyes.}
    Cornwell: I'll try not to take that personally.

Why would a non-MD "Counselor" take a comment about doctors "personally"?
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    How are Picard Season 2 crew different from Voyage Home crew? Both crew traveled to the past to fix something in the future with the plan to return to the future. First Contact crew too.

They are not different. Do you mean they are different to players wanting Traits changed or to the company?

Because, either way they are not different.

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    SILIKSILIK ✭✭✭
    If you want WRG to add missing treats then we should also be fair about wrongly added treats.

Except it leans much more to removing even justified Traits, but not adding missing justified ones. How long has the MEDICAL DOCTOR Prisoner Cornwell been in the game? Who practices her specific medical specialty while a prisoner? Still missing the "Physician" Trait.

She’s a counselor, not a physician. The absence of the physician trait makes sense there.

She's a DOCTOR who specializes in treating PTSD. Which she does for Tyler while they are in the meat locker.

Lorca: I hate doctors. {Referring to not getting MEDICAL treatment for his eyes.}

I look at it as a doctor is a doctor. Whether MD or PHD, they are all doctors. One specializing in treating PTSD would most likely be a psychiatrist (MD) or a psychologist (PHD). If they were treating someone who says "I hate doctors ", the doctor may very well take offense to that.
  • Options
    SILIK wrote: »

I look at it as a doctor is a doctor. Whether MD or PHD, they are all doctors. One specializing in treating PTSD would most likely be a psychiatrist (MD) or a psychologist (PHD). If they were treating someone who says "I hate doctors ", the doctor may very well take offense to that.

But people with PHDs don't usually refer to themselves as doctors, unless it's on some official document (at least, that's how it works where I live). And Lorca says he doesn't want to see an ophthalmologist because he doesn't trust doctors, so it's quite clear what type of doctor he's referring to. If Cornwell were the PHD kind of doctor, she wouldn't interpret his remark as a jab at her.
  • Options
    SILIKSILIK ✭✭✭

But people with PHDs don't usually refer to themselves as doctors, unless it's on some official document (at least, that's how it works where I live). And Lorca says he doesn't want to see an ophthalmologist because he doesn't trust doctors, so it's quite clear what type of doctor he's referring to. If Cornwell were the PHD kind of doctor, she wouldn't interpret his remark as a jab at her.

We must be in different parts of the world. Where I'm from in the northeastern US you always address a PhD as Dr. It's a sign of respect. They've earned the title doctor just as much as an MD has. I'll just chalk this up to us being from different parts of the world where PHDs must be treated differently.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question- COP Picard was released before I started playing, so I don't know all the details. From his flavor text, he was present for the signing of the charter. Wouldn't that put him in a different timeline? 2160's or so, if I'm doing the math right. Would he qualify for "Displaced"?
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭
    Question- COP Picard was released before I started playing, so I don't know all the details. From his flavor text, he was present for the signing of the charter. Wouldn't that put him in a different timeline? 2160's or so, if I'm doing the math right. Would he qualify for "Displaced"?

Maybe since he was a Timelines Original (I think), he was simply "placed"...
  • Options

Maybe since he was a Timelines Original (I think), he was simply "placed"...

I just figured he was supposed to be an ancestor. {To use the word properly. So many people now call a person's descendents "ancestors". I foresee a repeat of the whole "Dived/dove" fiasco I survived as a kid.} {{I know both are "proper" American English. But, when I was growing up, most people used the more "correct" dived. Then "dove" became and more popular.}}

• Options

We must be in different parts of the world. Where I'm from in the northeastern US you always address a PhD as Dr. It's a sign of respect. They've earned the title doctor just as much as an MD has. I'll just chalk this up to us being from different parts of the world where PHDs must be treated differently.

It's not that people don't use the title or aren't respected for it, but the word itself is just a thing for official documents and written communication here. I know the uses vary from one place to another, so I'm sure it's perceived differently where you live.

But even then, do people with PHDs refer to themselves as doctors? As in "I'm a doctor"?

To me (and that might be because of my mother tongue) if someone says "I don't trust doctors" it seems 100% certain that they're talking about medical doctors only.
  • Options

It's not that people don't use the title or aren't respected for it, but the word itself is just a thing for official documents and written communication here. I know the uses vary from one place to another, so I'm sure it's perceived differently where you live.

But even then, do people with PHDs refer to themselves as doctors? As in "I'm a doctor"?

To me (and that might be because of my mother tongue) if someone says "I don't trust doctors" it seems 100% certain that they're talking about medical doctors only.

Heck, even some celebrities with HONORARY degrees do it sometimes.
  • Options

Heck, even some celebrities with HONORARY degrees do it sometimes.

:lol:

Well, all things aside, I still think that in that specific scene of DSC there's no real ambiguity about the kind of doctors they're talking about. If you translate their exchange into a language that doesn't have one word for both things (English and Italian do, but others don't) then you'll have to use the word for "physician" because "people with PhDs" wouldn't make sense in that context.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭

My cousin is a doctor in physics. He certainly doesn't use it. Proud of it but Just part of his CV/qualifications
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the fields my degrees are in are heavily academic and I knew EXACTLY which professors had PHD's and which one's didn't. We had a fricking cake when Professor Waite became DOCTOR Waite. He wasn't impressed, but some of the others...
    My best friend and her husband are both PHD's and aren't sticklers about it, but they are two of the most laid back people on Earth. I've been known to call her "Doc" to make her laugh, but, then again, all four of her kids got nicknames from me and I use them. "Hey, Socks, you want more chips?"
    I've known some that anything less than the title and full honors that goes with it got you trouble. It can also be a cultural thing. Germany is very title respecting. Japan often is. It is very much a matter of where, when, and who. That's what we are debating here.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is really getting away from the point. Cornwell was a therapist. No one was confused about a PhD in chemistry or physics calling themselves a doctor. At most the scene would be like a patient saying, "I don't like doctors" and a nurse replying, "I'm a nurse." Yes, the nurse is not a doctor, but the patient meant to include all medical professionals, not just people with an md.

Cornwell was a therapist. Whether she was a psychiatrist a psychologist or a social worker is unclear. And what degree you get for those professions can vary.

There is a bit of ambiguity if Cornwell was closer to Troi or Culber. And maybe that is relevant to if she should have the physician trait. But what title you use in different countries to refer to academics with PhDs is not going to change if Cornwell should have the physician trait.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The way I see it is if Dr. Roger Korby (an archeologist), Dr. Agnes Jurati (a cyberneticist), Dr. Gillian Taylor (a cetacean biologist), and Dr. Hippocrates Noah (a scientist) can all have the physician trait, Cornwell can too. None of these characters are physicians however they all got the trait and one of their skills is medicine. Unfortunately this makes me think that no one here has actually watched the respective episodes or even done the research on memory alpha, just seen the Dr. title and assumed.

Moral of the story is to please give Prisoner Katrina Cornwell the physician trait :smiley:

Note: Dr. Noah had the trait removed but is still in the physician collection 🖖

“What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, it is a technical issue.
    A psychologist has a degree in psychology and would be a PHD to be a doctor.
    A psychiatrist, by definition, is an MD, who has gone to that same medical school as a cardiac surgeon for their education and who specializes in mental disorders instead. That's why a psychiatrist has a lot more treatment options. Look at the wiki article for a psychiatrist. It literally starts "A psychiatrist is a physician who specializes in psychiatry,..." Later on it says "Psychiatrists are medical doctors..."
    This is the argument. Which is Cornwell? Should she be a "Counselor", which is the trait for a Psychologist, like Troi or Ezri, or Physician, which precedent has given to Elizabeth Dehner, a Psychiatrist.
    Now, canon wise, Cornwell is a psychiatrist according to the show runners. They said specifically she's a psychiatrist in the After Trek for "Choose Your Pain". This would make her a physician, like Dehner, but she could keep the Counselor trait, since she actually deals in psychology as well.

If the show runners said she was a psychiatrist then she should absolutely be a physician.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counsellors fix the brain meats.
    Physicians fix the body meats.
    This isn’t hard.

Antaak is a Physician but he is certainly not a Doctor and I’m sure he cares not for your 21st Century Earth honourifics.

I call my Physician a doctor because they have a Doctorate in Medicine. The latter part is immaterial to the first part. If they had an Bachelor Honours Degree in Medicine, I would not call them a Doctor even if they were practicing as a Physician.

A Chiropractor is “allowed” to be called a Doctor but I never use that term with that profession unless I put the word “Witch” in front of it.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Counsellors fix the brain meats.
    Physicians fix the body meats.
    This isn’t hard.

Psychiatrists do both. They are physicians (they studied medicine and specialized in psychiatry, no PhD needed or involved) but can also work as therapists (which I guess is what the counselor trait refers to) in some cases. The showrunners said that she's a psychiatrist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatrist

• Options
    edited April 2022
    This is really getting away from the point. Cornwell was a therapist. No one was confused about a PhD in chemistry or physics calling themselves a doctor. At most the scene would be like a patient saying, "I don't like doctors" and a nurse replying, "I'm a nurse." Yes, the nurse is not a doctor, but the patient meant to include all medical professionals, not just people with an md.

Cornwell was a therapist. Whether she was a psychiatrist a psychologist or a social worker is unclear. And what degree you get for those professions can vary.

There is a bit of ambiguity if Cornwell was closer to Troi or Culber. And maybe that is relevant to if she should have the physician trait. But what title you use in different countries to refer to academics with PhDs is not going to change if Cornwell should have the physician trait.

Except the conversation about Lorca's eyes made it very clear she was a "Doctor" type "therapist. Not a Betazoid with some training or something. There are two types of "therapist" doctors. One can prescribe meds and one cannot. That conversation made it pretty clear she is the can kind......

Also, why would a nurse assume that someone saying they "don't like doctors" or they "don't trust doctors" would think that means anything to do with nurses? That is like a student telling a teacher "I don't like guidance counselors" and the teacher assuming that means the student does not like teachers, too. And you know what happens when people start assuming. And Ming is not happy about it.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Except the conversation about Lorca's eyes made it very clear she was a "Doctor" type "therapist. Not a Betazoid with some training or something. There are two types of "therapist" doctors. One can prescribe meds and one cannot. That conversation made it pretty clear she is the can kind......

Also, why would a nurse assume that someone saying they "don't like doctors" or they "don't trust doctors" would think that means anything to do with nurses? That is like a student telling a teacher "I don't like guidance counselors" and the teacher assuming that means the student does not like teachers, too. And you know what happens when people start assuming. And Ming is not happy about it.

The comments I was responding to were people arguing about the title people with physics phds use. I am well aware there are two kinds of therapists. I literally talk about both kinds in my post.

And yes, if someone says they don't like doctors the colloquial meaning is they don't like medical professionals. In most cases it doesn't matter if the person is a doctor, a nurse, a physician assistant, or something else. Unless the person is specifically making a distinction between doctors and nurses in a medical setting, doctor is likely being used as shorthand for general medical professional.
  • Options
    (A) Traveling Man(A) Traveling Man ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since people who objectively don't qualify for Displaced are getting it (Wonderland Taylor, has not traveled forward yet) - can we just give it to everyone?

Technically, per the game mechanics, all crew are Displaced.
    CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    Surprised they didn't wait until there were 60 until releasing it
    There probably were, but so many removals kept on happening
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭

The players have offered time and again to do the legwork for trait consistency and instead we get issues like this.

This is one that will be argued forever. The description for it is so vague.
    It's not like the others where it's just a simple tick - Mirror, X race, EV suit etc.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kim-Novak wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't wait until there were 60 until releasing it
    There probably were, but so many removals kept on happening

They saw people liked the new trait + new collection + mega for tribbled. So they decided to do it again with displaced. The problem is they can't figure out who should be displaced. A random set of current crew so the crew size is roughly what they want plus the new crew being added in the mega. Nevermind if there are other existing crew that deserve the trait and some of the new crew don't.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this thread.
    This new trait will apply to crew who find themselves outside of their original timeline.

For instance:
    - crew who unintentionally arrives in an alternate timeline, in the past, or in the future
    - crew whose intentional action results in them arriving in the past, or future, with no way back

Ok, that definition, I can see that it can generate a lot of confusion... The first sentence is pretty clear (anyone outside of their timeline) , but the examples add the element of "accidental" or "forced" displacement...

I don't think she was mentioned, but I think Nexus Guinan should be added. This crew is the portion of her that is in the Nexus, she is displaced (outside of her timeline, and also, unintentionally).

I mentioned in a different thread, no year of hell characters should be considered displaced, as well as characters that are natives to their timelines in "Parallels" (everyone except Worf)

Harry Kim and Naomi after deadlock are not displaced IMO. They are not from a different universe/timeline if I remember/understood the science of the episode. There are 2 Voyagers at the same time in the same universe, they are just somehow occupying the same space, I believe, They are not any less native to that timeline/universe than the rest of the crew.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a second... Amelia Earhart? She was just in suspended animation, she is not outside of her timeline.

And I have no idea what is going on with 23rd century Martok...
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    While questioning the use of displaced for Wonderland Taylor, I noticed that she was also a physician. Which is, sadly, wrong. Whale biologists are not physicians.