Home The Bridge
Options

WRG-Ben! Question about the "Pre-Cap" Packs for the Mega.....

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    My feedback, 650 did catch me by surprise, other than FTM chances, the precaps are useless. I never did recaps anyways since event packs at 650 Dil are a better value with a smaller pool vs 390 with a larger pool (for a shuttle event, you know you need one purple so can hit 650 or after an event, you know you need one gold if you finished in the top 30. With 390 packs you run the risk of getting purples from the galaxy/hybrid and I find I would spend 2 if not 3 to one: meaning 780 Dil vs 650).

And yes, regular event packs are still a thing and will drop like normal tomorrow.

i missed where that was confirmed. My bad.

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that there is a lot of truth to the logic that wrg is watching sales numbers and will make decisions based off of that.

But, the fact that they are dedicating staff time to trying out these types of sales, while simultaneously delaying the much MUCH MUCH needed admiral controls on fbb, demonstrates to me that there is a serious disconnect between wrg’s assumptions on what is driving this games success.

One thing to remember is companies have different people with different jobs and they are not all interchangeable. The person who is creating the packs and deciding the price and launch date is very different than the person fixing bugs in the new client. They can't just take the person who decides packs and say help launch the new client and have the client get out faster.

We don't know what is causing the delay in the new client other than unanticipated bugs. But unless the person in charge of packs is the blocker for getting the new client fixed, having them tweak pack features is not going to impact the release date of the client.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the recap packs had already fallen into the bad value space. Why spend 390dil on 1:8 of getting a legendary when we recently had 950 for a greater than 1:2 odds of getting legendaries, including some of the games best. I get that some people just like opening packs, but relative to the Discovery packs anyway, the recap packs were a bust.

Precap packs also give you better info about where to focus your attentions in the mega. As most rosters mature it's basically 5/5 or mostly useless outside of FBB or Gauntlet. I'd rather know which events to go sub 750 on rather than wait until after the mega and be stuck with a useless 2/5 that's too expensive to cite. I spent over a year getting every legendary every event and blowing all my dil on the recap packs and I now have a roster full of 2/5s, or crap 4/5s. It's nice to get stuff on the cheap, but I don't think it was ever a good strategy, really.

Now, I admit that I am a mini-whale and SRs and low star legendaries are just not that interesting to me. I am interested in buying legendaries in bulk to finish off my collections. I am assuming that by just buying packs the SRs will look after themselves without me having to think much about it. (Before I took a break I was only missing a handful of SRs, it's kinda fun to be missing loads again). So I will be spending my dil on future offers like the Disco ones until there are better offers than those.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    I may be in the minority here, but between changes to the mega event announcement, the addition of pre-mega packs, and publishing upcoming events in the new in-game hub, I've lost all sense of week-to-week excitement and anticipation. We know every new crew that will be introduced in the coming month, and can even pre-buy them to avoid actually having to play the game. What's the point? Where's the fun?

I have felt this for a while. It is just a consequence of new changes that mostly have been good. But when I started, we had a new story every other month that we only knew about as it happened. Then the story got all mixed up with early announcements. Then the announcements came even earlier. Now we have no suspense at all. There are a few game-play advantages and it is easier to plan and prepare, but it does crush the story.
  • Options
    Disappointing choice here, I'm not going to lie...
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have the recaps at the end for the 390 price. Then people can choose.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Have the recaps at the end for the 390 price. Then people can choose.

This would be an excellent idea. Have the “mega packs” start at 650 dilithium prior to event start, then decrease incrementally each week all the way to 390 when the mega ends.

That would be a lot better and actually an improvement to what existed previously.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I think that there is a lot of truth to the logic that wrg is watching sales numbers and will make decisions based off of that.

But, the fact that they are dedicating staff time to trying out these types of sales, while simultaneously delaying the much MUCH MUCH needed admiral controls on fbb, demonstrates to me that there is a serious disconnect between wrg’s assumptions on what is driving this games success.

One thing to remember is companies have different people with different jobs and they are not all interchangeable. The person who is creating the packs and deciding the price and launch date is very different than the person fixing bugs in the new client. They can't just take the person who decides packs and say help launch the new client and have the client get out faster.

We don't know what is causing the delay in the new client other than unanticipated bugs. But unless the person in charge of packs is the blocker for getting the new client fixed, having them tweak pack features is not going to impact the release date of the client.

You are right, i just have a hard time believing that there is more than a handful of people involved in the day to day of this game, so in my opinion every hour of staff time is pretty important. I just hate to see any of it squandered (in my opinion) on items like these. Someone spent some time on this. Who and how much i could only guess. But i would have much preferred to see that person spending time creating offers like what we saw with the disco collection than some weird attempt to re-tool recap packs. Again, my opinion.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is the content I hoped to find! I’ve spent some time trying to decide how I felt about this change, while being mindful that I’m often someone that dislikes change when it happens… and I still don’t like it. If I can pre-collect every event card that will be debuted for the next 4 weeks, why would I bother to play the events? I play events because I enjoy competing for the prizes. If/when I miss out on certain prizes, I appreciate the opportunity to get a second chance at them (i.e., the post mega recap packs).

Just my 2 cents. I’m not going to pull any of these pre-cap packs. The odds of getting cards I might want/need are just as poor as the recap packs (which I accept as part of the design), but now they’re more expensive and I’m not sure who I need to target? Nah.

I’ll still see ya’ll around in the rankings this month. 🖖
  • Options
    SonjaSonja ✭✭✭
    I bought few packs and I got lucky by getting 1 copy of Audrid Quark (5*). What is the influence of this on myself? Do I regret that I can get in advance some legendary crew & use them during event (level them to 100)? The answer is no. Now I am thinking how many legendary citation to use on Audrid Quark: 0 or 1? If I go for 0 (top 30), I can keep 1 citation for Tobias O'Brien, good voyager & probably exclusive faction event reward, hard to get 3 or 4 copies of him.

As a conclusion, 4 * crew from Mega Pack can be get easy, but legendary copies not so easy. The chance is extremly low to immortalized in advance all Mega Legendary crew & to loose interest of Mega events.

Lately almost all events are galaxy orientated, so events pack are not so interesting since we get 4 copies of event 4* crew (+ 4* citations from Objectives). Legendary crew is hard to get from event packs. Buying few packs in advance can offer other perspective over the entire Mega.
  • Options
    This thread is the content I hoped to find! I’ve spent some time trying to decide how I felt about this change, while being mindful that I’m often someone that dislikes change when it happens… and I still don’t like it. If I can pre-collect every event card that will be debuted for the next 4 weeks, why would I bother to play the events? I play events because I enjoy competing for the prizes. If/when I miss out on certain prizes, I appreciate the opportunity to get a second chance at them (i.e., the post mega recap packs).

Just my 2 cents. I’m not going to pull any of these pre-cap packs. The odds of getting cards I might want/need are just as poor as the recap packs (which I accept as part of the design), but now they’re more expensive and I’m not sure who I need to target? Nah.

I’ll still see ya’ll around in the rankings this month. 🖖

I can't see why someone just looking to collect crew would make much of an effort if they could snag the ones they wanted ahead of time, but competing is a different story. The only time all month you can get by as a competitor without having any new crew is Phase 1 this week. Cellist Adira already exists and even if you only have them at 1/4 level 1, they'll still earn you the full VP bonus as you'd get if you staffed your ship with immortalized Joran Sisko, Tobias Bashir, Verad Dax, and Cellist Adira. From the start of Phase 2 through the rest of the mega, though, the competitors who start with immortalized featured crew will have a considerable advantage. Passing on these packs now could easily make the difference between which rank rewards tier one ends up placing.
  • Options
    SonjaSonja ✭✭✭
    In this Mega formula with 1 Skirmish phase (decreased amount of time for farming Galaxy items)+ 3 Galaxies (1 exclusive) competing means getting top 750 perhaps -> 2 copies of legendary crew offered. Top 100 Galaxy (both phases) ~ 1.5mil VP points perhaps more-> a lot of chrons if items inventory is almost empty. Leveling up crew consume items as well + credits if we use replicator-> credits impact crew retrieval. We had a lot of Galaxies lately, no pure Skirmish for months.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we safely say all the crew for the mega are FTM? I would think so by now, but they do slip by sometimes.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    I decided to give the recap packs (precap?) a whirl and man, oh man, did I get lucky! I'd been saving dilithium for just this kind of thing and chanced ten packs:

Torias Bashir x2 (especially nice since I didn't bother competing for him at all last week)
    Lela Kira x1 (I can maintain 100% in my Kira collection)
    Tobin O'Brien x1
    Returning Ezri Dax x2 (she should be the 4* in the full Faction event so I needed at least 1 of her anyway, and maintains my 100% set of Ezris)
    Emony Leeta x1
    Verad Dax x1
    Arjin x1 (already immortalized)
    Yedrin Dax x1 (already immortalized)

I'd rather have paid 390 dilithium later, but I will admit this does change my mind about how much effort I'll put into these events. Now that Audrid Quark is the only new 5* I won't have, I'm inclined to compete for him this weekend. I'll have a chance to get Kira and O'Brien to at least 2/5. And if I'm right about Ezri being the new 4* in the Week 4 Faction event, having her at 2/4 already means I only have to score enough VP to get that last Joran Sisko. I'll still run shuttles all weekend, of course, but without dipping into my boosts or caring how I end up ranked.
  • Options
    DAEDAE ✭✭✭
    Trying new things, change is inevitable however, I also prefer stability. Knowing just when the new packs or info will be released, when to log in to read story lines and see upcoming new crew cards gives that stability and excitement at once as others have mentioned.
    Offering the pre-mega pack may actually reduce profits. As others said why play for them? Not only is it not fun, but why buy event crew or supply packs when you already have the card. Event supplies will likely take a reduction in the upcoming month. For those who buy immediately upon arrival for ftm purposes those packs are of no excitement or value now.
    The in game mail was “broken” and now fixed but we are still not always getting the event supplies within the mail either. Seems we got used to it and so we just don't get a few chrons or faction missions now.
    The indicator light badges are still broken, causing us to re-learn to ignore or not have indicators. Now the gauntlet indicator fails when crew is refreshed even. Feels like we are in training, to re-train to not expect things.
    Don’t expect updates, don't expect bug fixes, don't expect a decent msg system, don't expect in game mail news or event supplies, don't expect boss nodes to be fixed, don't expect bbs officer only start buttons, don't expect WRG will do anything they previously mentioned or said would be done……
    Reducing any expectations to a no excitement level has taken the fun away. It has become a chore without fun. Thats not the purpose of a game. Everyone who has been forced to discord for coms can still have friendly coms about trek and other games. Why play the stt for that? The game no longer bonds us, excites us, or makes us want to play together. So many things have devaluated friendly competition and fleet accomplishment.
    The lack of attention to long term glitches, the new era of expect nothing, lack of in game mail and communications, and the high end cash offers all rolled together are causing many players to quit.
    Most players love “a good deal” cash offers. The premium and ultimate campaign tracks are widely purchased. The value of an offer is combined with “a good deal” and the players opinion of value within. WRG has de-evaluated all of the cards in the pre-mega pack.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I see it is that I wasn't going to buy anyway. ...And not just because I stopped spending on a game that doesn't care about me. I tried out before and always got crew I didn't need or want and lost dilithium. But I completely understand why lots of people love them. There is a chance of useful crew at a low(ish) cost. It looks like they wanted to try something new and see the response.

There is clearly a potential benefit to getting crew early. This benefit can make a difference in how well one does in the event. As such, I see no reason why they should discount it. Again, I understand why people are upset about it. I just don't feel that way myself.

And I don't disparage those who are mad about this and consider it worth stopping their spending. I stopped because they don't care about an issue that matters to me that would cost them nothing but gain them nothing but good-will. People on these forums have insulted me for my view, but whatever. If it means something, vote with your wallet. That is the only thing that had any hope of making a difference.

So while I don't share the opinions of those who are upset, I will stand by you while you let them know what upsets you. For any good it might do.
  • Options
    WRG_JOE wrote: »
    As a fair amount has been discussed in the thread as the details have come out in the game, the intention for the "pre-cap" pack is to run through the mega-event. The dilithium price will not change by the end of the month and it should run until noon EST March 14th.

We recognize the feedback and understand the frustration with changes like these and changes in general. Ultimately, we are looking at all the things folks are bringing up in the thread. How does it impact event competition? How does the pack perform? Does it drive any other desirable or undesirable behaviors?

The recap packs as they were run before had outstanding value for folks who would skip out on the event engagement and essentially "wait" for the discount rather than earn and engage with the events. This wasn't our intention, and we wanted to try something different. We believe the "pre-cap" packs are addressing this behavior, but we're keeping an eye on things and look out for more adjustments in the future.

Thank you for your feedback, patience, and passion as always.
    LLAP
    -WRG Joe"

I have a compromise to consider: run the pre-caps all month at full price, but run each week's packs at a discount the following week. It seems to me the pre-caps would be more appealing to competitors looking to stock up on featured crew going into events, whereas collectors content to wait would get the lower price we prefer while forfeiting the advantage of having them going into their week's event.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    really don’t like how cagey WRG was about the price of these packs before they were released. If WRG had told us ahead of time they would have seen much less anger directed towards them. Or they could have made the packs cost 490. Or done beholds filled with golds and super rares for 1500 each. I thought/hoped they would be discounted. Bought one before I saw the price, was angry at the price, and got dumb Arjin who I already had immortalized long ago. I will not be buying anymore of these overpriced mega packs.

This was from the mega announcement:
    This time around we will be running a mega pack at the beginning of the month that contains all the new crew from throughout the whole mega. We're expecting this may change some strategies for pushing for Ranked 5* Crew as they will be available earlier in the pack, but usable throughout the whole month! We have no plans to put it on sale after the Mega-Event concludes as Mega-Event Packs have run in the past.

I'll admit it was poorly worded and confusing in that "on sale" can mean both available for purchase and available at a discount price, but I don't think that was being cagey. This was Ben writing an announcement for the first time without Shan, not realizing it was confusing, and then being too busy to check the forums and see the confusion.

WRG needs to replace Shan or find someone internal that can dedicate the time to doing what she did. But this wasn't an attempt to hide the price, it was just sloppy English and no one paying attention to notice the problem.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    really don’t like how cagey WRG was about the price of these packs before they were released. If WRG had told us ahead of time they would have seen much less anger directed towards them. Or they could have made the packs cost 490. Or done beholds filled with golds and super rares for 1500 each. I thought/hoped they would be discounted. Bought one before I saw the price, was angry at the price, and got dumb Arjin who I already had immortalized long ago. I will not be buying anymore of these overpriced mega packs.

This time around we will be running a mega pack at the beginning of the month that contains all the new crew from throughout the whole mega. We're expecting this may change some strategies for pushing for Ranked 5* Crew as they will be available earlier in the pack, but usable throughout the whole month! We have no plans to put it on sale after the Mega-Event concludes as Mega-Event Packs have run in the past.

I'll admit it was poorly worded and confusing in that "on sale" can mean both available for purchase and available at a discount price, but I don't think that was being cagey. This was Ben writing an announcement for the first time without Shan, not realizing it was confusing, and then being too busy to check the forums and see the confusion.

WRG needs to replace Shan or find someone internal that can dedicate the time to doing what she did. But this wasn't an attempt to hide the price, it was just sloppy English and no one paying attention to notice the problem.

I get Ben was busy but it was cagey that this has been a pack sold for 390 dilithium many times. It should have been said upfront what the cost was if it was going to be sold for a different price.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

I get Ben was busy but it was cagey that this has been a pack sold for 390 dilithium many times. It should have been said upfront what the cost was if it was going to be sold for a different price.

The silence for several days until the Pack went live, when specifically asked, is kind of concerning. Makes it feel like they knew what the reaction was going to be, so why face it before they absolutely had to.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭

The silence for several days until the Pack went live, when specifically asked, is kind of concerning. Makes it feel like they knew what the reaction was going to be, so why face it before they absolutely had to.

Especially after a debate had begun as to the price before the pack ever went up. It was an issue a couple days before then. We were discussing the ambiguous wording pretty actively when all we had was the announcement. No word then and none now.
    I understand they are short handed and are trying to do tasks that aren't familiar to them. I know exactly how that is. I've been covering the entire farm chores and a lot of household ones since before Christmas, when my mom messed up her foot. I'm still trying to figure out how to do things, developing habits, and I know I don't things the way she did. I'm doing what I do and what she does to. I'm stressed, rushed, and doing things in odd order.
    I don't expect things to be exactly like they were, but I do expect them to try to develop some semblance of normalcy. I expect a learning curve. I expect them to have their own style. I expect mistakes. I expect questions. I expect them to *try*. I'm not getting that impression and that's worrisome.
    I don't know if notes were left for them or what. They've covered before, so there's probably something. I'm mostly curious as to whether they are distributing the job, giving it to one person and rebalancing the time, or covering until someone is hired.
    There are a lot of questions, frustrations, and feedback swirling around here, but we're not even seeing a presence. There's no "I'll ask" or "we'll take it into consideration" or even "let me clarify". I'm a cat person. I don't trust silence.😝 Can we get some sign of life?
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    I decided to give the recap packs (precap?) a whirl and man, oh man, did I get lucky! I'd been saving dilithium for just this kind of thing and chanced ten packs:

Torias Bashir x2 (especially nice since I didn't bother competing for him at all last week)
    Lela Kira x1 (I can maintain 100% in my Kira collection)
    Tobin O'Brien x1
    Returning Ezri Dax x2 (she should be the 4* in the full Faction event so I needed at least 1 of her anyway, and maintains my 100% set of Ezris)
    Emony Leeta x1
    Verad Dax x1
    Arjin x1 (already immortalized)
    Yedrin Dax x1 (already immortalized)

I'd rather have paid 390 dilithium later, but I will admit this does change my mind about how much effort I'll put into these events. Now that Audrid Quark is the only new 5* I won't have, I'm inclined to compete for him this weekend. I'll have a chance to get Kira and O'Brien to at least 2/5. And if I'm right about Ezri being the new 4* in the Week 4 Faction event, having her at 2/4 already means I only have to score enough VP to get that last Joran Sisko. I'll still run shuttles all weekend, of course, but without dipping into my boosts or caring how I end up ranked.

My thoughts as well. I got all but Lela Kira. So, my playing time and resources expenditure will be different in many of those events.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...