Home The Bridge
Options

Crew Missing Traits

edited January 5 in The Bridge
Greetings Captains,

We want to know your opinion regarding the topic in the title. Do you feel that certain crew are missing any kind of Trait/s? Do you believe some crew shouldn't have X Trait? Let us know in this thread!

If you agree with the comment of any other Captain make sure to Like it so we have a better understanding of your preferences / Thoughts.

LLAP

Comments

• Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    https://forum.wickedrealmgames.com/stt/discussion/18700/trait-audit-thread

A thread for this has been painstakingly cultivated for a long time. Let’s just use this, shall we?

The thread Jenos linked has a lot of useful information. While I probably don’t endorse every suggestion in that thread, I’d start there.

Edited to add: it would be helpful to us if we knew what WRG’s/TPG’s definition of traits is, otherwise, we’re flying a bit blind.
  • Options
    https://forum.wickedrealmgames.com/stt/discussion/18700/trait-audit-thread

A thread for this has been painstakingly cultivated for a long time. Let’s just use this, shall we?

Going to also endorse looking through this thread that Auto has setup and spent a paintstaking amount of time working on. The fact that this has been the pinned thread in the "Make It So!" room for literally years and this is how you guys are approaching missing/wrong traits is quite insulting to the work done by Auto

This is a consice and throrough job done that should be referred to first before anything else.

Also COP Janeway is missing the hidden "ent" tag like COP Archer and Picard have.

Greetings Captain, we never have the intention to insult or make any of our users feel insulted. We're so focused in projects and road map for 2024, we probably skipped that thread. Thank you either way for your feedback. LLAP
  • Options
    Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    Prisoner Katrina Cornwell is not only a confirmed Physician within Season One of Disco, she literally uses her specialty WHILE a prisoner!!!!!

Never did get the Physician Trait.....

Shouldn't she also have veteran?
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prisoner Katrina Cornwell is not only a confirmed Physician within Season One of Disco, she literally uses her specialty WHILE a prisoner!!!!!

Never did get the Physician Trait.....

Shouldn't she also have veteran?

I'm not sure how they apply it. Was the Klingon War the first war she was a veteran of? It feels like they usually give that Trait to someone after the war they are a veteran of is over? So, that is a confuddler.

I noticed the Archer from the season finale of "Enterprise" where he destroyed the super-weapon did not have it. The war with the Xindi, IIRC, was his first war. Well, first war that Starfleet was actually involved with. He had "meddled" in wars between other races before that. Since him destroying the super-weapon was what ended the war, he would be a veteran from season four on, but not during the final battle of that war? And, the Temporal Cold War also would have ended later, if we count that.

My short answer got long-ish, but I THINK they consider a "veteran" a "veteran" after the war they serve in ends, or they retire, if the war is still going on?

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    General MortarsGeneral Mortars ✭✭✭✭
    What is a Veteran? Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.”

This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged. This meaning also answers the question, “who is a veteran?”

Source: https://va.org/what-is-a-veteran-the-legal-definition/

So a lot more crew require the veteran trait.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost all of the crew have been in a war at some point. But it is not a part of who most are. I think they look more at if the veteran trait is a key part of who they are at that point rather than at if they are actually a veteran. Or who they are acting like, in a few cases. It is still very inconsistent. Why do Union Q and Colonel Q have it when they are in the middle of fighting? Why doesn't RAF O'Brien not have it? For that matter, ALL copies of O'Brian should have veteran. Only a couple do. At the least, all copies of O'Brien from DS9 should have it since his veteran status is key to his character in that series. Inconsistent.

It is the trouble with many traits. Some should apply far more universally. Sisko gets cook on all versions. But O'Brien doesn't get veteran on all versions. We can see why brutal or the upcoming festive can apply to characters only on specific cards. But some traits just don't change.
  • Options
    What is a Veteran? Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.”

This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged. This meaning also answers the question, “who is a veteran?”

That is how the U.S. government defines it. We have ZERO idea how WRG defines it. Or what all their criteria are for assigning ANY Trait. It seems very likely that at least one criteria is "cannot have too many Traits". I think we have a few Crew with around nine or ten Traits. That seems to be the arbitrary "cap" they use.
    The fact that this has been the pinned thread in the "Make It So!" room for literally years and this is how you guys are approaching missing/wrong traits is quite insulting to the work done by Auto.

Trust me, I'm only insulted by my past self for spending time on something the company isn't even vaguely aware of.

Two pieces of advice for TP to save yourself a lot of dev time and hassle:

** Develop a bespoke Trait Bible of definitions and share it with the players/community you're asking for help from. Be consistent and consult this before releasing crew!

Does 'Resourceful' mean hilariously inept, foolish, and incompetent? Congratulations, you got Badge-Challenged Linus and Tawi'Yan Alexander correct. Does 'Resourceful' mean specifically cited in the episode as being resourceful? Then you need to add it to Acting Ensign Crusher and Mountaineer Spock. Does it mean 'nebulous trait that we slap on thinly sketched out characters to give them value'?

** Be clear about what trait restrictions you want to impose on crew, what you want to achieve with a trait audit, and share it with the players/community you're asking for help from.

Do you generally not want crew to exceed seven or eight traits? Fine, players won't need to spend time collating the other dozen missing traits from a crew who already has 'enough'. Do you want to add value to under-traited or statistically weak crew? Fine, we can look at crew like Captain Scott or cadets with only one or two traits.

If you don't do this, the same three people will argue here for pages and pages about the definition of a word and you'll have wasted everyone's time. Help the community help you.

TL;DR just let Auto do it and don't ask questions

This!

🤠👍🖖👍🤠
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Borg Queen. main villain of First Contact, missing the villain trait.
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this definition. But, how many crew are discharged or released and not dishonorable.
  • Options
    WaldoMag wrote: »

I like this definition. But, how many crew are discharged or released and not dishonorable.

Apparently you take a coffee break, beam over to a Klingon ship, kill a Klingon officer, and beam back, with no real repercussions.

Well, maybe a stern "Try not to do it again, please and thank you."

Was Burnham discharged as part of her sentence? You know, when she mutinied on a Federation starship a decade before Spock or someone said "There has never been a mutiny on a Federation starship."?

Nitpickers made a big deal about "What about Captain Garth's crew?" But, it was pretty clear what he called a "mutiny" was his officers following procedures to relieve him of duty, when he went off the rails.....

• Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8
    WaldoMag wrote: »

Apparently you take a coffee break, beam over to a Klingon ship, kill a Klingon officer, and beam back, with no real repercussions.

Well, maybe a stern "Try not to do it again, please and thank you."

Was Burnham discharged as part of her sentence? You know, when she mutinied on a Federation starship a decade before Spock or someone said "There has never been a mutiny on a Federation starship."?

Nitpickers made a big deal about "What about Captain Garth's crew?" But, it was pretty clear what he called a "mutiny" was his officers following procedures to relieve him of duty, when he went off the rails.....

Yes, Burnham was dishonorably discharged for her mutiny, then reinstated when she was pardoned. That was pretty clear from the show. It's also why most S1 versions of Burnham in the game lack the Starfleet trait.

And by the time the "no mutiny" line was said, Burnham and Discovery had been official secrets for about a decade. I'm sure any records of the mutiny wer hidden for the same reason, especially since she was pardoned for it anyway. Denying his sister's existence was presumably second nature to Spock by that point.
  • Options

You can be a veteran in any field

A person who has had long service/experience in any occupation can be listed as a veteran although the term mostly applies to the armed forces

You can be in the military for just a month & be a veteran

Cornwell is an admiral & I think that justifues the trait along with all other Admirals

Apart from Cartwright of course
  • Options
    edited January 19

You can be a veteran in any field

A person who has had long service/experience in any occupation can be listed as a veteran although the term mostly applies to the armed forces

You can be in the military for just a month & be a veteran

Cornwell is an admiral & I think that justifues the trait along with all other Admirals

Apart from Cartwright of course

Yeah.

Most people are used to "veteran" meaning someone who served in the armed forces. And that is how Timelines uses it.

But, a "Veteran" is also someone who has experience and gained knowledge from that experience, in any field.

I served with a lot of firefighters, EMS, and rescue personnel who were seasoned veterans and literal well-springs of knowledge, skills, and better than the "book" ways to do things.

For instance, unless you have the chance to learn from someone like our County's previous EMS Training Captain, you have NO idea how many ways you can use a pair of children's size dancing tights in EMS & First Aid.....

But, the clerk at the {formerly} Dollar Tree 💲🌲 sure looks at a man in his fifties funny when she asks if the ten packs of tights are for his daughter or his grandchild and he replies he has neither.....
  • Options
    nothing wrong with a guy wearing tights or meggings?
  • Options

I painted an incomplete picture.

As said, Child sized tights.

5' 11" 350 # {at the time} old man.....

• Options
    Well, it would seem that this thread has gone entirely off the rails (unsurprisingly). I don't think the developers are going to get any useful feedback out of this, so I'll chime in again that the original Trait Audit Thread cultivated painstakingly by Automaton_2000 and compatriots should be reviewed, and this thread should be euthanized.
  • Options
    Borg Queen. main villain of First Contact, missing the villain trait.

No one is the villain of their own story.

Nor is someone a "villain" just because their goals oppose the goals of others.

• Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it would seem that this thread has gone entirely off the rails (unsurprisingly). I don't think the developers are going to get any useful feedback out of this, so I'll chime in again that the original Trait Audit Thread cultivated painstakingly by Automaton_2000 and compatriots should be reviewed, and this thread should be euthanized.

There was little chance it would succeed. At least it didn’t devolve into pointless bickering. That’s a win.

We really can’t help with trait audits aside from pointing out the blatantly obvious unless we know what criteria they use for traits. Nancy et. al. have yet to provide this.
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    It did devolve into an anecdote about a portly man buying tights at a dollar store so… I’d prefer the pointless bickering to any more of that.
  • Options
    It did devolve into an anecdote about a portly man buying tights at a dollar store so… I’d prefer the pointless bickering to any more of that.

how do you know he was portly? Rather judgmental
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

Are their any Star Trek actors who also worked on the movie Robin Hood: Men in Tights? Let's have a fun Timelines original. They could also be in the Sherwood Forest collection.
  • Options

Are their any Star Trek actors who also worked on the movie Robin Hood: Men in Tights? Let's have a fun Timelines original. They could also be in the Sherwood Forest collection.

Well, King Richard had some serious gravitas in his real English accent.....