Home The Bridge

DB - your fix to reduce lag backfired

Comments

• Grant77 wrote: »
    It hasn't really "backfired" has it? If anything it has failed.

I think you're all just upset that your little cheat no longer works. As someone who only found out about this cheat when everyone started moaning about it this week, I'm happy that I'm actually being rewarded for my efforts in a shuttle event for a change.

A strategy is not a cheat. It was completely within the normal confines of gameplay. My fleet has been using it since the game started pretty much and it has gained a lot of popularity recently, hence the lag problems.

Cheat/strategy. Potato/tomato.

I have seen some gaming books labelled "strategy guide", some labelled "cheat guide".

Some vitriol over semantics. Even got people PMing me that they're not cheats 😂😂

My point stands. Nothing "backfired", but people are upset about their "cheat", (strategy) being nerfed.
  • edited February 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    I think you're completely missing my point, but congratulations to you for finding it. 👍

I don't wish to "kickstart". Am happy that it no longer lags because of players using it.

You actually had 2 points:

1) You've been playing for 2 years and had never heard of it and claim to use the forums 'occasionally'.

2) You don't like how this works, and in your mind it is cheating. Thus you are happy it is gone.

You used point #1 to add weight, or it would not have been mentioned at all. I called shenanigans on that additional weight you attempted to add by pointing out at least on one level the frequency the topic has been mention....

No.

That was my second post, which was in response to your question about my first post. So you are using information I provided at your request to change the meaning of my initial post
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    I think you're completely missing my point, but congratulations to you for finding it. 👍

I don't wish to "kickstart". Am happy that it no longer lags because of players using it.

You actually had 2 points:

1) You've been playing for 2 years and had never heard of it and claim to use the forums 'occasionally'.

2) You don't like how this works, and in your mind it is cheating. Thus you are happy it is gone.

You used point #1 to add weight, or it would not have been mentioned at all. I called shenanigans on that additional weight you attempted to add by pointing out at least on one level the frequency the topic has been mention....

No.

That was my second post, which was in response to your question about my first post.

Your first post:
    I think you're all just upset that your little cheat no longer works. As someone who only found out about this cheat when everyone started moaning about it this week, I'm happy that I'm actually being rewarded for my efforts in a shuttle event for a change.

You only found out about it this week. So, actually you were using that as weight on your point. Your words, not mine.

(Italics added for emphasis)

In your second post you talked about how you've been here for so long, but you have a life and thus can't read a lot of posts.

• <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    I've had much laggier starts.

I've also had cleaner starts.

This sample of one indicates that the fix is both an improvement and detriment to lag.

I very much agree with this. A sample of one is never conclusive evidence. :P There are always other factors.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, exploiting a weakness is not a cheat. Anyone can do it and anyone can choose to not do it. People do that in any game they play, from board games, to card games, to computer games, to sports, to playground games. Find the best possible opening and exploit it. It is even less a cheat when you willingly and openly share all your best methods of exploiting said weakness.

Now to the lag. I, personally, didn't notice anything more than usual. In fact, it was probably a bit better--though not significantly better.
  • No. You have "weighted" that by putting it into italics. You can make something read however you want by changing the way it reads. Iwas merely making the statment that I had only found out about it this week.
  • edited February 2018
    Agreed the lag was horrible and i do not normally lag and suffer at all. BUT this start was something else that said thanks for being proactive and curing it rapidly
    -𝕷𝖔𝖈𝖚𝖙𝖚𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝕭𝖔𝖗𝖌-

"𝕀𝕥 𝕚𝕤 𝕦𝕟𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖𝕝𝕪 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕡𝕣𝕖𝕡𝕒𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝕥𝕠 𝕕𝕚𝕤𝕔𝕦𝕤𝕤 𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕤. 𝕀𝕥 𝕚𝕤 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕖 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖𝕝𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕖𝕞𝕡𝕥 𝕒𝕥 𝕕𝕖𝕔𝕖𝕡𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟"

• Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Grant77 wrote: »
    It hasn't really "backfired" has it? If anything it has failed.

A strategy is not a cheat. It was completely within the normal confines of gameplay. My fleet has been using it since the game started pretty much and it has gained a lot of popularity recently, hence the lag problems.

I have seen some gaming books labelled "strategy guide", some labelled "cheat guide".

Some vitriol over semantics. Even got people PMing me that they're not cheats 😂😂

My point stands. Nothing "backfired", but people are upset about their "cheat", (strategy) being nerfed.

Of course I am upset about it. I came up with the strategy independently and have used it for almost 2 years. Using my ingenuity and intelligence to gain an advantage is the most appealing part of any game for me.
  • You are also missing my point.

The thread title says "DB - your fix to reduce lag backfired" How has it backfired? It may not have worked but backfired?

The last several faction events have not been laggy. DB added a fix to reduce the lag. Instead of reducing the lag, it substantially increased it.

Didn't work would be the correct categorization if there was little to no effect to the lag

Backfired is the textbook definition when the outcome is completely opposite of the intended result.
  • I totally noticed the lag. I was doing cadet missions before the event started with no performance issues. Then I continued with them after the event start and those were lagging hard. I feel that the trade off in missing 12 missions to chose from that best suit the crew I have was not worth what DB was trying to achieve. All it's done for me is increase frustration. I'm not talking about the kickstart either. That was easy to work around. I'm talking about the decrease in choices for abilities to fill seats.
  • As someone who did not experience any lag this time around (and from previous posts it would appear I'm not the only player who gained a smoother experience) it would be interesting to find out if all players experiencing lag this time were using the kickstart strategy.

Less vitriol, more scientific method. 😎
  • edited February 2018
    I am sad to see the old Kickstart go and the lag remain, but let's be honest here us as a community is to blame for this whole mess. We created a meta game where you had to Kickstart to place within the gold zone.

People like to compete and if the only way to do that is to play follow the leader to get a slice of pie that's what will happen. Sad thing is a new Kickstart will form and newer players and those in bad guilds will suffer from not being part of the "in" crowd.

So we'll done DB way to fix something that wasn't broken and force us to spend more time pushing buttons while hearing your ADHD bleeps, screeps, and meeps.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who did not experience any lag this time around (and from previous posts it would appear I'm not the only player who gained a smoother experience) it would be interesting to find out if all players experiencing lag this time were using the kickstart strategy.

I had no lag, but did the kickstart, so I don't believe there's a correlation there.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • As someone who did not experience any lag this time around (and from previous posts it would appear I'm not the only player who gained a smoother experience) it would be interesting to find out if all players experiencing lag this time were using the kickstart strategy.

I had a like 5 sec lag when i was claiming my shuttles, not sure what this would have to do with kick start or not. Opening missions went smooth and without any lag.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • I started my FAST START about 1.5 hrs from the event start time and it was the fastest ever when opening missions.

I had a like 5 sec lag when i was claiming my shuttles, not sure what this would have to do with kick start or not. Opening missions went smooth and without any lag.

For the last couple of weeks (maybe even months) thats where i've seen the lag. Not opening the missions but claiming completed shuttles. Especially when they are time boosted. This is where I saw the lag today as well so no real change for me. I don't see the server backend but my guess would be the issue is more to do with the animation when you claim the shuttles than with how many are open. Maybe DB should get rid of the animations (for this and all other event types).

As for if the kickstart, its as much of a cheat as using DIL to insta-finish shuttles is. Is spending DIL to speed up also considered a cheat? If so, you mega whales out there better watch out. DB will soon nerf your DIL spending :p
  • Shan wrote: »
    We are aware that the start of the event was quite laggy, we acted on it immediately.
    This and the impact (good or bad) of less unique missions will be analyzed as part of our efforts to improve performances as was said when we announced the change.

Does this mean sorrytons are coming?
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    The lag was worse than it had been for me in recent similar events.
    I actually like the reduced start. It feels less cheaty. I have no chance for top 1000 anymore due to work so I say just as an advocate for what feels right. I'd say 6 is about as far down as you can take it to still give some choice later on. I say let's go with this.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Hungry Dog wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »
    We are aware that the start of the event was quite laggy, we acted on it immediately.
    This and the impact (good or bad) of less unique missions will be analyzed as part of our efforts to improve performances as was said when we announced the change.

No they'll give us all a free Prisoner Katrina Cornwell. ;-) LOL

don't give them any ideas! =)
  • V. wrote: »
    The lag was worse than it had been for me in recent similar events.
    I actually like the reduced start. It feels less cheaty. I have no chance for top 1000 anymore due to work so I say just as an advocate for what feels right. I'd say 6 is about as far down as you can take it to still give some choice later on. I say let's go with this.

Honestly - this is the part that gets me. Start of event lag was not horrible. There have been other issues that are far more serious (e.g. *cough* end of galaxy events *ahem*). Also, they had already improved faction events drastically from 6 months ago. This did not seem like a performance problem (outside of the one incident a couple events ago that hasn't happened in subsequent events).

If this was an effort to curtail kickstarting, then DB should have just come out and said so - not hide behind phantom performance improvements.

That said, this event has been a lot less stressful than prior events. I like 6 missions per faction. I love the distribution of event missions! I hope this is the formula going forward. my merit wallet will thank you.

Playing the game on desk top via steam i only noticed lag at start of event within first 3-4 minutes
  • Hungry Dog wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »

No they'll give us all a free Prisoner Katrina Cornwell. ;-) LOL

Drat, I was really hoping for another mirror picard
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    You are also missing my point.

The thread title says "DB - your fix to reduce lag backfired" How has it backfired? It may not have worked but backfired?

The last several faction events have not been laggy. DB added a fix to reduce the lag. Instead of reducing the lag, it substantially increased it.

Didn't work would be the correct categorization if there was little to no effect to the lag

Backfired is the textbook definition when the outcome is completely opposite of the intended result.

It might not have been laggy for you but several people on our fleet have had issues and have reported that this time is much better
  • I encountered zero lag, but I began 45 mins after start.

The real question is: if you started one hour after begin, how many points did you really lose?

And in reality it is irrevelant because most of you (I don't) seem to suffer from boosted shuttle fails, so Murphy's law will wipe out any points gained by a perfect start.
  • If the kickstart is cheating, then wiki must be banned because it shows path to take for voyage only crew, That’s a massive cheat.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Magisse wrote: »
    Not to take sides in this oft-reborn debate, but I enjoyed the fact that since potatoes and tomatoes are actually different things, not just sounding different, your analogy actually supports the other guy's point. ;)

Interruption over, resume your scheduled bickering, already in progress.

I also enjoy the fact that both of these “European” staples are actually indigenous to the Americas and were brought back by the Spanish only like 400-500 years ago... just like horses are not native to the Americas yet we think they are part of the “old west” and traditional Native American lifestyle...

have no idea how this relates to anything... please resume your regularly scheduled bickering...

e6n0c792i5ym.jpeg