Home The Bridge

DB - your fix to reduce lag backfired

Comments

• It hasn't really "backfired" has it? If anything it has failed.

I think you're all just upset that your little cheat no longer works. As someone who only found out about this cheat when everyone started moaning about it this week, I'm happy that I'm actually being rewarded for my efforts in a shuttle event for a change.

This is a really dumb comment. DB can alter the parameters of the game as it sees fit, but the kickstart was not a cheat in any sense. It was literally just doing shuttle missions in the right order to get to the top VP tier as quickly as possible, and I’m sorry you missed out on it.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Kickstart is not a cheat. Hacking into DB's servers to modify your account or hacking into the program installed locally and modifying it so that it changes memory-location data is.

"Why bother studying? Just walk up to that cyclotron and wing-it... Studying would be considered cheating! Its just radiation... How much harm can it really do? >:) "

"People who use fighting techniques like martial arts or kung-fu must be cheaters... Put up your fists and fight like a man... Real men don't use this kung-fu bull-crap... :p "

<Wah? :'( ...>
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Oh, btw, here's some valuable resources for clearing up any confusion on this subject:
    What is cheating
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had less lag this event than usual. It is taking a long time to get to 4k but I guess it is taking long for everyone.
    Let’s fly!
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lag thing was an excuse. I was hopeful it would prevent the false fails but doesn't sound like it did and with terrible lag at the start, I know a lot of people are done with shuttle events. I don't like the other 2 so kinda in a pickle lol.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    Cheat/strategy. Potato/tomato.
    Not to take sides in this oft-reborn debate, but I enjoyed the fact that since potatoes and tomatoes are actually different things, not just sounding different, your analogy actually supports the other guy's point. ;)

Interruption over, resume your scheduled bickering, already in progress.

I also enjoy the fact that both of these “European” staples are actually indigenous to the Americas and were brought back by the Spanish only like 400-500 years ago... just like horses are not native to the Americas yet we think they are part of the “old west” and traditional Native American lifestyle...

have no idea how this relates to anything... please resume your regularly scheduled bickering...

e6n0c792i5ym.jpeg

Horses are part of the old west. They may have been brought here but they’ve are still part of the old west
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to take sides in this oft-reborn debate, but I enjoyed the fact that since potatoes and tomatoes are actually different things, not just sounding different, your analogy actually supports the other guy's point. ;)

I also enjoy the fact that both of these “European” staples are actually indigenous to the Americas and were brought back by the Spanish only like 400-500 years ago... just like horses are not native to the Americas yet we think they are part of the “old west” and traditional Native American lifestyle...

have no idea how this relates to anything... please resume your regularly scheduled bickering...

e6n0c792i5ym.jpeg

Horses are part of the old west. They may have been brought here but they’ve are still part of the old west

Yeah I guess I’ll give you that...
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

e6n0c792i5ym.jpeg

Fun fact: Camels are from North America
    Grant77 wrote: »

e6n0c792i5ym.jpeg

You sure about that... my understanding was the only large domesticated animal from the Americas was the llama/alpaca...
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this thread has taken an interesting tangent, haha. But this latest bit got me curious, so after a bit of Google-fu, I discovered this page — which presents a very compelling (and scientifically-backed) argument for claiming the horse as a "native" North American species. The gist of it is that a direct ancestor of the modern horse was indeed native to N. America, then at some point around 11,000 to 13,000 years ago, it disappeared. (Though it did not disappear globally, due to a partial migration and dispersal to Eurasia some time earlier.)

https://awionline.org/content/wild-horses-native-north-american-wildlife

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    edited February 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »

Well, this thread has taken an interesting tangent, haha. But this latest bit got me curious, so after a bit of Google-fu, I discovered this page — which presents a very compelling (and scientifically-backed) argument for claiming the horse as a "native" North American species. The gist of it is that a direct ancestor of the modern horse was indeed native to N. America, then at some point around 11,000 to 13,000 years ago, it disappeared. (Though it did not disappear globally, due to a partial migration and dispersal to Eurasia some time earlier.)

I think that there was a species horses in America that died out like 10,000 years ago is correct... that does not mean that that was the source of horses of globally (ie, that Eurasian horses descended from North America).

Edit: I looked at that information in more detail and it seems that may be true... learn something new everyday.
  • Cal.me.IshmalCal.me.Ishmal ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    E
  • Cal.me.IshmalCal.me.Ishmal ✭✭
    edited February 2018

I love when people back up thier point of view with why or how they know what they know, whether they're right or wrong, it still makes for a great debate of an argument, not just irrelevant “I’m right”. Good going, Just giving my props
  • Noticed a lot of lag for about first 30mins or so, after that it seemed to clear up

I love when people back up thier point of view with why or how they know what they know, whether thier right or wrong, it still makes for a great debate of an argument, not just irrelevant “I’m right”. Good going, Just giving my props

By the way, your second “their” should be they’re, as in they are. Just thought I would keep the thread going in weird directions

• Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

e6n0c792i5ym.jpeg

You sure about that... my understanding was the only large domesticated animal from the Americas was the llama/alpaca...

I'm certain. The original camel crossed into Eurasia via the Bering land bridge over 3 million years ago and has remained largely unchanged. It has long since been extirpated from the Americas, leaving the Llama as a close relative.
  • There’s nothing better than when a real and valid point that DB need to take notice of gets lost amongst people arguing about how to argue.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    So umm the lag is worse since the fix and I've been booted out of the game several times.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

I love when people back up thier point of view with why or how they know what they know, whether thier right or wrong, it still makes for a great debate of an argument, not just irrelevant “I’m right”. Good going, Just giving my props

By the way, your second “their” should be they’re, as in they are. Just thought I would keep the thread going in weird directions

Quick, alert @DScottHewitt to show the badge!...
    🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not having any problem with lag on this event which is nice.

However I have failed around 10 out of the last 12 missions all of which had chances of success in the high 90s.

Given the choice of the lag but a chance of actual success I would choose the crippling lag
    Hunter247 wrote: »

YES BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT HORSES

My mother had horses when I was a kid. I learned to ride them when I was 7 or 8. So much more fun than a motorcycle

• MbannarMbannar ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

However I have failed around 10 out of the last 12 missions all of which had chances of success in the high 90s.

Given the choice of the lag but a chance of actual success I would choose the crippling lag

A fraking men man ( i would soooo take the lag), failing 3/4 with a 95%-99% for like 80% of the event so far

After buying the $99 dollar with a 5/5 fe gold event, and both event 4/4 fe, plus a extra event shar 4/4 fe
    YA!!!!

but shhhh its nothing but bad luck for the db gods have spoken that

Comment moderated as per our Community guidelines, posting content of a private exchange with Support is not allowed.

So what that means in layman's terms is shut up and give us more money
  • edited February 2018

I knew that would come up.

But I could not think of how to express tomato/tomato with different dialects in writing. I guess I could study phonics just for this phorum, but decided it was easier to use the two solanaceae from the well known song to express my point....

"You say Strategy, I say Cheat"
    "You say Walkthrough, I say Life Hack"

All the same to me.

....I'm boring myself now. 😂😂
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Mbannar wrote: »
    Comment moderated as per our Community guidelines, posting content of a private exchange with Support is not allowed. 

If that is the DB answer I think they need to look at the statistics teams and ask them to get some pen and paper out.

The chance of running three 99% success rate shuttles and all of them failing is literally 1 in a million.

This has happened to me on this event twice (as well as having failures on shuttle missions with success chances in the 97+ range)

If I had the time I could calculate how statistically unlikely my failures on this event have been!

• IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horses for courses

Lag can happen to any number of reasons. Sometimes trial and error are the only ways of determining what is best for the gaming experience as a whole. At least there was no blow out where we couldn't get in to the game at all. I would rather the game is a bit laggy but everyone is able to play the game compared to some/all not being able to play the game.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The lag seems about the same to me here in the southeastern USA, as does the predicted vs. actual success percentages. I also like saving merits with fewer expiring 5-seat transmissions.

Re: horses, I’m just gonna borrow @Secret Journey ’s pony while I listen to The Police on my Walkman (cassette). “De doo doo do, de dah de dah, that’s all I want to say to you....”
    🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • I wasn't paying attention to the lag, but the talk here makes me wonder...

Maybe DB dropped the number of faction missions by 40%, but at the same time cut costs by dropping the server resources by 20-30%?

Just speculating...

e6n0c792i5ym.jpeg

I'm certain. The original camel crossed into Eurasia via the Bering land bridge over 3 million years ago and has remained largely unchanged. It has long since been extirpated from the Americas, leaving the Llama as a close relative.

So it’s a repeat of the horse story?
    Mbannar wrote: »

A fraking men man ( i would soooo take the lag), failing 3/4 with a 95%-99% for like 80% of of The event so far

According to Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau Jr., we like to use the term “peoplekind instead of mankind because it’s more inclusive”. So it should be “a fraking people people...” do we have a PC Police badge somewhere?