Home The Bridge

500th Crew, Happy with the Selection?

Comments

• PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    i kinda want to see him cleaning a fence now.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mordack wrote: »
    It would be a little churlish of me to be too negative about a 5* I will be getting for free, but with all the hype I rather thought it might have been someone more iconic, rather than someone from Discovery (even if it is Sarek).

DB loves to overhype and under-deliver. From the start this felt like, we're about to hit 500 crew, let's do something special with whoever that crew is going to be. So we get the 5* from the event that happened to include 500. At the end of the day I'll take the crew slots and a free 5* and realize that DB likes to tease and hype common things like they're special.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It would be a little churlish of me to be too negative about a 5* I will be getting for free, but with all the hype I rather thought it might have been someone more iconic, rather than someone from Discovery (even if it is Sarek).

DB loves to overhype and under-deliver. From the start this felt like, we're about to hit 500 crew, let's do something special with whoever that crew is going to be. So we get the 5* from the event that happened to include 500. At the end of the day I'll take the crew slots and a free 5* and realize that DB likes to tease and hype common things like they're special.

From the way Shan was talking, it sounded like it was meaningful internally. Its like they really drank some flavor-aid and forgot to pass it around.
  • I'm happy for a free 5*. Don't really care, unless the character is awful.

I can see how this happened. "Oh hey, look, we're coming up on our 500th crew. You know what would be cool, if we give him to everyone for free!" Which is a good idea, the problem is it sets the expectation that they planned a special 500th crew to give to everyone for free.

Like maybe the day he's released everyone just finds they all have him for free now, and they release a thing saying he was the 500th crew. But I'm sure people would be annoyed at that, too.
  • AviTrek wrote: »

oh, it's much worse than you think, in terms of under-delivering. The 500th crew was supposed to be announced tomorrow. Oops - he ended up in the dabo wheel early. guess the cat is out of the bag. might as well reveal early.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    James Frain must be the nicest guy in the world. He must be incredibly friendly, easy-going, and a good listener. He must always be around to help out if you need him, he must be an excellent friend to assist with any problems. He's cool, he's sweet, he's kind, he's good-natured. He has to be one of the best people in the entire world to know, and to be with, and to share one's time with.

At least, that's the only reason I can think of for him continuing to get acting work...
  • AviTrek wrote: »

oh, it's much worse than you think, in terms of under-delivering. The 500th crew was supposed to be announced tomorrow. Oops - he ended up in the dabo wheel early. guess the cat is out of the bag. might as well reveal early.

He also ended up in the cryostasis vault lol
  • MbannarMbannar ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Wow alot of neg in here,

Happy with a free *5star with decent stats no matter who its(especially snice i can buy event packs to finsh him) ,
    but i like the guy and art artworks not bad, could have left out the borderlands two light effects(i like real/rough look) but not bad

But you guys are forgetting something, we are suppose to have a new EPIC honor hall charchater soon, if they would have dropped two epic cards at one time it would have lessened them, plus only so many characters, got so save some for 1000, 3year annv. Etc.etc

Kinda feel bad for them tho, you could tell Shan was pumped to suprise everone. I bet they are annoyed that

A. Dablo wheel, vault and silhouette gave it away, hopeful that helps them plan later surprises better, but still generated a lot of post on who it was, keeping people interested

B. How negative everone is over getting something for free

Thats like complaining about free beer or free *cough wink* cough , lol
  • A free beer that your boss had been revving you up about for a couple of weeks, making you really excited about going out for dinner with champagne and fireworks ;)
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Oh, I'm not complaining. In fact, I like that it was revealed early. I just find it hysterical that DB found another way to bungle a release.

Thankfully, this was an innocuous bungling.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect 15,490 Dil as compensation. I wouldn't have bought the whole Dabo table today if I'd known we were getting a free one tomorrow.
    Yeah. o:)
  • Magisse wrote: »
    I expect 15,490 Dil as compensation. I wouldn't have bought the whole Dabo table today if I'd known we were getting a free one tomorrow.
    Yeah. o:)

@Magisse

We are sorry to inform you that at this time we can not provide Dil as a compensation

As this would cause inflation to the Dil currency, whereby lessing the value of the Dil on the open market, which could potentially cause a global market crash,

We can not in good conscious allow this to happen

So we have decide to send you a special edition limit time offer of a .....wait for it.....wait for it....

MIRROR PICARD!!!

• I tend to subscribe to the belief that when you hit an anniversary it's only natural to look back on the PAST. Discovery hasn't even had it's own 1yr anniversary. IMHO, it hasn't earned the high praise that STT is bestowing on it's characters. Sure, there are Disco fans. But they pail in comparison to an already established fandom around Treks numerous series and movies.

As for my feelings on the 500th crew??? I'm neither happy nor sad. DB has done exactly what I expected them to do.
  • RogueAngylRogueAngyl ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    UnkieB wrote: »
    huua333wm1hs.jpg

Actually... This please instead!

Truthfully, I would have preferred Tae Kwon T'Pol over Kung Fu Sarek as we've actually seen her fight rather than someone out of a concussion hallucination. But marketing of course.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • I've been a pretty consistently outspoken fan of Disco. I like that Kung Fu Sarek (let's be honest, that's what we're all gonna call him, like Christmas Tree Reed or Coffee Janeway) is entering the game. It would be going too far to say I'm disappointed that he's the 500th, but I will confess to being somewhat underwhelmed. Everyone has their own ideas of who a great choice would have been, and I'm no different (I'd have gone with Dress Uniform Mr. Spock; most prominent and instantly recognizable character of the franchise, all gussied up).

I've thought about it, and I think part of my personal issue with this Sarek being a milestone crew member is that out of everyone and everything on Disco, he's the one element I've had the hardest time reconciling with preexisting canon. I still just do not recognize "my" Sarek here. It took me a few appearances before I was able to take him for who he is, and I've even been able to get into the guy throughout this season, but whenever I see him, I still do not recognize Spock's crotchety old man that I've known for decades. It's almost like I'm watching Sarek's other brother Sarek or something.

And in fairness to this Sarek, I don't think there's any version of any Sarek that I think would have passed the sniff test for a milestone crew member, unless he had been the first Sarek to ever be introduced. (I still remember how thrilled I was when Ambassador Sarek debuted in "The Genesis Wave"!)

tl;dr I'm mostly indifferent, but more okay with it than angry if only because nothing about this game means so much to me as to actually make me angry.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Can I swap Sarek( who was predictable btw before the silhouette) for a captain Spock?

I like Discovery and Sarek just don't need another 1/5 taking up space I won't be buying packs nor playing phase 2 of the event so I'm giving him a Vulcan Goodbye
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just feels wrong to me that Sarek of all of them, the incarnation of diplomacy and reason, suddenly has a "Brutal" trait and huge SEC base and roll (guessing from the Level 1 numbers). However, since I need a high SEC base character (still don't have anything better than a 3/5 Proto Worf) for shuttles, I might go for 5/5 on him, but only if we get the 1/5 for free as promised. ^^
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It just feels wrong to me that Sarek of all of them, the incarnation of diplomacy and reason, suddenly has a "Brutal" trait and huge SEC base and roll (guessing from the Level 1 numbers). However, since I need a high SEC base character (still don't have anything better than a 3/5 Proto Worf) for shuttles, I might go for 5/5 on him, but only if we get the 1/5 for free as promised. ^^

Well he was prepared to destroy Qu'onos I think Brutal is a fitting trait. It took Burnham another way to find peace without genocide
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Q I don't watch Discovery, so I didn't know about that. Another reason not to watch it and stick with TNG. :D
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Q I don't watch Discovery, so I didn't know about that. Another reason not to watch it and stick with TNG. :D

It's a good show if you give it a chance @ErisTheVorta.
  • No.

And this whole 500 thing was too hyped in the end.
  • Meh.

He may be DB's 500th new character. But he's not MY 500th new character. Why does it even matter that we've reached this "milestone". It's like we're celebrating that we use a base-10 number system.

Sarek isn't a bad character. And in a few weeks time the memory that he was the 500th will be long forgotten. We all pretty much guessed who this char was when they released the silhouette last week, so any disappointment I felt dissipated long ago. And if we get this guy for free, I'm certainly not going to grumble.

If you think that DB should have given us some extra special super-duper Star Trek character for free just because it was their 500th creation? You don't have a good grasp of how business works. When DB does create a super-duper much loved MUST HAVE character with amazing art, fantastic stats..... it'll be available only in a special purchase pack and absolutely NOT given away for free.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Meh.

He may be DB's 500th new character. But he's not MY 500th new character. Why does it even matter that we've reached this "milestone". It's like we're celebrating that we use a base-10 number system.

Sarek isn't a bad character. And in a few weeks time the memory that he was the 500th will be long forgotten. We all pretty much guessed who this char was when they released the silhouette last week, so any disappointment I felt dissipated long ago. And if we get this guy for free, I'm certainly not going to grumble.

If you think that DB should have given us some extra special super-duper Star Trek character for free just because it was their 500th creation? You don't have a good grasp of how business works. When DB does create a super-duper much loved MUST HAVE character with amazing art, fantastic stats..... it'll be available only in a special purchase pack and absolutely NOT given away for free.

Not so sure about your business plan there, As it stands I'll buy no packs this week if I got a super duper Star Trek character I'd be buying packs in the hope of FF the character. I will NEVER buy a best chance pack DB has burned me for north of €250 on those with no character I'm looking at you Trelane and Lore.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    meh ...

I'm not a Star Trek buff by any stretch of the imagination but ... I'd expect 500 to be iconic ... someone who even a guy like me could/would instantly recognise.

Examples
    - We got CD Quark for free ... don't know anything about DS9 but his face was instantly recognisable (non-canon or not).
    - We got Will Scarlett for free, another instantly recognisable face (though I've never seen the episode).
    - We got Mariachi Q free ... again, even though I know nothing about TNG I knew he was an arch nemesis.

So ... getting someone from Discovery for free I would expect him/her to be iconic for the series ... and to me he isn't ... even though it is the one ST series that I've spent time watching!
    Sure, he connects the old and the new, but ... meh.
  • Put "don't care" as I'm grateful for a free legendary, but the hype was silly.

I don't get why people would be unhappy though, even if you dislike the series and you airlock the freebie it's Honour. What, outside of a sense of entitlement, is there to be unhappy about?
  • [BL] Q wrote: »
    Not so sure about your business plan there, As it stands I'll buy no packs this week if I got a super duper Star Trek character I'd be buying packs in the hope of FF the character. I will NEVER buy a best chance pack DB has burned me for north of €250 on those with no character I'm looking at you Trelane and Lore.

Fair point. Perhaps I've been playing the game so long that DB's business practices have started to feel normal!
  • As many have mentioned, I am also underwhelmed by their decision on #500. You would have thought it would have been a more highly iconic character encompassing the franchise somehow, not a variant in a different outfit. Just my 2¢

Now #600 should likely come around next year this time, when Disco is starting season2. I look forward to
    (Disco Universe) Ensign Spock or Young Captain Pike
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Young Captain Pike
    Pike wouldn't be younger. He'd actually be two years older than his appearance in the Cage. Unless you're referring to how he looked in The Menagerie?

• As many have mentioned, I am also underwhelmed by their decision on #500. You would have thought it would have been a more highly iconic character encompassing the franchise somehow, not a variant in a different outfit. Just my 2¢

Now #600 should likely come around next year this time, when Disco is starting season2. I look forward to
    (Disco Universe) Ensign Spock or Young Captain Pike

Actually we wont see it till 2019

"Season one launched on September 24, 2017, but don't expect to see season two in September 2018.

Co-creator Alex Kurtzman has explained that season two won't land until 2019 at the earliest. "