Home The Bridge

@DB - Just who IS the EMH Mark 1?

The game text reads:
The first version of the EMH program in wide distribution, Voyager's EMH is the only one still in medical use.

The use of a comma would grammatically indicate that we're talking about Voyager's EMH being part of the first version, though this begs the question why he's in the DS9/TNG movie uniform. There are two other EMH Mark 1's that were seen in that uniform:

The one in Star Trek: First Contact used by Dr. Crusher as a diversion.
The one that Dr. Zimmerman brought aboard DS9 when he came to study Bashir.

If this is intended to be the latter, then it's especially timely as that was the episode of DS9 that revealed that Bashir is an Augment.

Or perhaps it's none of these? It'd just be nice to know definitively!

Comments

• For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assumed because of his annoyed expression he was the First Contact one, since I don't remember the DS9 episode showing him like that, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were a period instead, would that change your opinion?

I think it's any generic EMH.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assumed because of his annoyed expression he was the First Contact one, since I don't remember the DS9 episode showing him like that, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

I don't recall the First Contact EMH holding anything like what this one is (a PADD, maybe?). If I recall correctly--and I readily concede I may not!--the only thing he picked up was a hypospray. Ordinarily, I wouldn't pay much attention to that kind of detail, except the card art has consistently been based on a single image. (The only exception I can think of offhand is Lt Commander La Forge in his 21st Century outfit from First Contact wearing his facial hair of the last two TNG movies.)
    Dralix wrote: »

Here's what it becomes with a period instead of a comma:
    The first version of the EMH program in wide distribution. Voyager's EMH is the only one still in medical use.

The first part becomes a sentence fragment, but it establishes that we're talking about any generic EMH. The second part becomes an addendum, making note that the generic EMH's didn't last and only The Doctor is still doing what the generic EMH's failed to do well enough to be kept in service for medical use.

So, yeah, a period does change how the text reads.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyager wasn't able to connect to the Starfleet Wi-Fi to be able to download it.

Starfleet doesn't have Wi-Fi. Data always interfaced with other systems via Ethernet.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was one that was relegated to manual labour.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first version of the EMH program in wide distribution. Voyager's EMH is the only one still in medical use.

The first part becomes a sentence fragment, but it establishes that we're talking about any generic EMH. The second part becomes an addendum, making note that the generic EMH's didn't last and only The Doctor is still doing what the generic EMH's failed to do well enough to be kept in service for medical use.

Hence why I think it's any generic EMH. I think it's a grammatical error or typo.
  • Dralix wrote: »

Also possible. The updated uniform was probably just a new skin pushed out when Starfleet changed its uniforms (for the billionth time), and Voyager wasn't able to connect to the Starfleet Wi-Fi to be able to download it.

Close, the new uniform skin was DLC and the Voyager crew didn't have enough player points to purchase it.

Member of Rise of the Phoenix.

Hence why I think it's any generic EMH. I think it's a grammatical error or typo.

I should emphasize that this is not genuinely important to me; I'm just kinda curious. I do agree that it's almost certainly not The Doctor, but that comma mangles the text. GRAMMAR MATTERS, PEOPLE. Otherwise, the terrorists win.

Within the realm of generic EMH's, though, we've identified three possible specific generic ones that this could be intended to represent: Beverly's on the Enterprise-E, the one that outed Bashir as an Augment, or the reassigned ones working garbage detail. It also could very well be a generic EMH other than any of the ones we ever saw, which is perfectly legitimate, too.

Again, I'm just kinda curious!

[Also, if Shan or anyone else at DB explicitly confirms it's the one from "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?", then I have to get him to maintain my 100% completion of 1*, 2*, and 3* DS9 crew.]
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyager wasn't able to connect to the Starfleet Wi-Fi to be able to download it.

Starfleet doesn't have Wi-Fi. Data always interfaced with other systems via Ethernet.

Pssh, no way, they definitely used point-to-point microwaves.

Also possible. The updated uniform was probably just a new skin pushed out when Starfleet changed its uniforms (for the billionth time), and Voyager wasn't able to connect to the Starfleet Wi-Fi to be able to download it.

Close, the new uniform skin was DLC and the Voyager crew didn't have enough player points to purchase it.

Everyone was jealous of the ship that got the EMH Armour.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Dralix wrote: »

I should emphasize that this is not genuinely important to me; I'm just kinda curious. I do agree that it's almost certainly not The Doctor, but that comma mangles the text. GRAMMAR MATTERS, PEOPLE. Otherwise, the terrorists win.

Within the realm of generic EMH's, though, we've identified three possible specific generic ones that this could be intended to represent: Beverly's on the Enterprise-E, the one that outed Bashir as an Augment, or the reassigned ones working garbage detail. It also could very well be a generic EMH other than any of the ones we ever saw, which is perfectly legitimate, too.

Again, I'm just kinda curious!

[Also, if Shan or anyone else at DB explicitly confirms it's the one from "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?", then I have to get him to maintain my 100% completion of 1*, 2*, and 3* DS9 crew.]

If DB cannot be troubled to master the use of the English language for things like pack descriptions (directly impacting monetary purchases), what makes you think that they're going to bother with inconsequential character descriptions?
  • middleheadmiddlehead ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ordinarily, I wouldn't pay much attention to that kind of detail, except the card art has consistently been based on a single image. (The only exception I can think of offhand is Lt Commander La Forge in his 21st Century outfit from First Contact wearing his facial hair of the last two TNG movies.)

Mirror T'Pol as well. When she came out, people found screenshots showing that her pose and uniform were both in the episode she's from, but not at the same time. She does wear the skirt uniform and she does stand in that pose, but she doesn't stand in that pose while wearing the skirt.
  • kobakoba ✭✭✭
    Leader of the Czechoslovak Fleet (Starbase level 134). We are recruiting!

My Cryostasis Vault
    koba wrote: »

Clearly? I beg to differ.

Star Trek: First Contact

jtb8njfjbmy2.jpg

DS9 "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?"

6h2qy5q9r88w.jpg

In neither of those two appearances was the EMH Mark 1 shown standing in the same kind of posture or holding [whatever that is that he's holding].

Also, when the EMH Mark 1's were reassigned to menial cleaning work, shown in VOY "Author, Author", they weren't even wearing a Starfleet uniform at all. Instead, they wore this:

43f1pf80qv63.jpg

If anyone is aware of any other instance of the EMH Mark 1 wearing the DS9/TNG Movie style uniform, feel free to point it out. I can't find anything further.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Travis, I believe this may possibly be from the VOY episode "Equinox: Part 1" — the EMH is holding something very similar to this as he speaks with the Doctor...

equinox_409.jpg
    equinox_410.jpg
    equinox_411.jpg

(above screencaps from Trekcore)

201px-Emergency_Medical_Holoprogram_Mk._1_Full.png

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grammar aside, my feeling is that it's the Mk1 from Ds9. TMK there has not been a generic character card ever introduced. Rather, a specific character, in a specific appearance.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Travis, I believe this may possibly be from the VOY episode "Equinox: Part 1" — the EMH is holding something very similar to this as he speaks with the Doctor...

equinox_409.jpg
    equinox_410.jpg
    equinox_411.jpg

Good find, but his uniform is wrong there.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »

equinox_409.jpg
    equinox_410.jpg
    equinox_411.jpg

Good find, but his uniform is wrong there.

Yah I may have agreed that this was the Equinox EMH (Which should be a future character with some new traits btw) if it wasn't for him wearing the war uniform... Still unclear where this honor hall one is from
    Think it's time for a #NameThatEMH campaign, y'all. It's the only way we're gonna get to the bottom of this!
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must have misread the initial announcement, because I was expecting the Mark II.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I must have misread the initial announcement, because I was expecting the Mark II.

I am fairly certain it said "Mark II", because I wrote that down in my notes! They probably just made a typo, but I WOULD pay 15K Honor for a Mark II

Then they have to introduce the USS Prometheus of course!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    Brunt, FCA wrote: »
    Poses aren't always the exactly the same as they were in the show. Like, 3* Brunt is his body from Family Business but his face/name/staff are from Profit and Lace, an episode where he had a totally different outfit. And Duchamps was taken from a scene where he was sitting down, but he's standing in-game (there are a few others like that too).

Benny Russell also has his glasses on in the art, but not in the scene. But then, the glasses are a distinctive part of his character.

I think you're right about this being the First Contact EMH from the art. But his location with The Doctor in the vault suggests that he might still count as a variant of The Doctor.
  • Ikrit wrote: »
    Brunt, FCA wrote: »
    Poses aren't always the exactly the same as they were in the show. Like, 3* Brunt is his body from Family Business but his face/name/staff are from Profit and Lace, an episode where he had a totally different outfit. And Duchamps was taken from a scene where he was sitting down, but he's standing in-game (there are a few others like that too).

Benny Russell also has his glasses on in the art, but not in the scene. But then, the glasses are a distinctive part of his character.

I think you're right about this being the First Contact EMH from the art. But his location with The Doctor in the vault suggests that he might still count as a variant of The Doctor.

Also how Boothby's body art is from a TNG episode, but his hat art is from a VOY episode.
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan