Home The Bridge

CBS/Viacom pending merger: Will we see Kelvinverse characters in STT within the year?

Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in The Bridge
Yesterday, April 3, CBS officially submitted an initial offering to acquire Viacom, and if it goes through, it would mean that the so-called "Kelvin timeline" Trek movies and the Trek television series will finally be under one roof.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/04/new-details-heat-up-rumors-of-cbs-viacom-merger/

If this happens, it's within the realm of possibility that Disruptor Beam will be able to secure rights to use the versions of the characters from the Kelvin timeline within Star Trek Timelines. Of course, it may not be that simple — there could be additional agreements that would have to be approved by all parties, including, potentially, all the actors in the new films, who probably have a lot more control over their likenesses than stars of the various TV series did. But at least now there is that possibility. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be curious to see what transpires.

EDIT: April 4 Update — Viacom Rejects CBS Merger Offer, Prepares Counter:
http://deadline.com/2018/04/viacom-rejects-cbs-merger-offer-1202358206/

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"

Comments

• YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Strange Khan FTW
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is promising. However the deal works out, reunifying the Trek IP would be in everyone’s best interest.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    The minute that happens will see my departure from this game. One of the reasons I enjoy this game is the lack of Kelvin Universe characters. For me, the Kelvin Universe is "Star Trek" in name only.

I know this is just my opinion, and there are many who would welcome the addition of Kelvin universe characters. But I thought I'd provide my two pence.
    The minute that happens will see my departure from this game. One of the reasons I enjoy this game is the lack of Kelvin Universe characters. For me, the Kelvin Universe is "Star Trek" in name only.

I know this is just my opinion, and there are many who would welcome the addition of Kelvin universe characters. But I thought I'd provide my two pence.

I understand your feelings towards the Kelvin universe but you have to admit: from a canon standpoint, they did this the right way rather than Discovery simply throwing whatever they didn’t like in a dumpster. A completely alternate timeline with enough changes to make the differences between the new films and the TOS we love more or less reasonable.

Besides, when I see people in STO rolling in the Kelvin-verse version of the Enterprise, I get super jealous. What a gorgeous ship.
  • bowdybowdy ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I completely agree with Aki about Kelvin trek, the minute they combine them, that's it for me with trek.

It is a cheap, lazy franchise. Star trek in name only.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand your feelings towards the Kelvin universe but you have to admit: from a canon standpoint, they did this the right way rather than Discovery simply throwing whatever they didn’t like in a dumpster. A completely alternate timeline with enough changes to make the differences between the new films and the TOS we love more or less reasonable.

Besides, when I see people in STO rolling in the Kelvin-verse version of the Enterprise, I get super jealous. What a gorgeous ship.

I agree with you there, although personally my main problem with films (aside from their aesthetic, but that's another story), is the casting and acting. I simply don't buy Chris Pine as Kirk. He looks too much like a frat bro and less like a rogue-ish Captain. And his acting is questionable. Zachary Quinto was cast fine as Spock, but I find his acting pretty meh (but then, it's hard to compare to Leonard Nimoy), and I found Scotty's reinterpretation to be lackluster as well. Zoe Saldana made a great Uhura, and Karl Urban's Bones was decent at times. Don't even get me started on Harold..oh, sorry I meant Sulu.

So yeah, I think the cast had big shoes to fill, and some did better jobs than others. Also they blew up Vulcan, and I just can't stand by that. That's just not cool.

I won't quit or anything so dramatic if we get Kelvin characters in the game, but because of my aforementioned issues with their overall aesthetic, I'll be hesitant to keep the crew around.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be averse to it, though I'm not a fan of the Kelvin universe the characters are pretty cool. I don't think we'd be swamped with them anyway, there's not really a lot of Discovery characters yet and we've already had two mega events covering them, and maybe not too meany til the next season. It can only be a good thing for Star Trek imo
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    What truly is the profit, if you gain the whole world, but lose your soul?
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Kelvinverse is three films.

Non-Kelvinverse is ten films and over 700 episodes, including 72 from TOS.

Even if Kelvinverse makes it in, there would be few characters used. I would welcome the additions rather than throw my toys out of the pram. We might get Jaylah.

5bfd59ea-e14f-4270-a77e-5ea1532d6a5b.jpg

3* female alien SEC/ENG/CMD, please & thank you very much. 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deals like this take time, and then from there more time.

After that, the current licensing agreement would have to be amended or a new one brought forth for the new IP.

Then you have to develop the art, the cards, the ships, those assets in the game....

What you described in your first paragraph and what I just typed - that's 2-3 years from being tangible and pixels on your phone. I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • I’d like a Nero
    ctw6st00jfza.jpeg
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the first movie quite alot. Its certainly better than some of the original ST movies.

And I really would like to have a bloody faced Chris Pine in my roster.

The other two movies are more regrettable. "Khan" had some solid (or even great) moments but that was mixed with a lot of crap. Three was a straight sci-fi action movie with a thin ST veneer. Enjoyable in the moment but not memorable.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a whitewashed Khan in this game like I needed a whitewashed Khan in the movie....
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • TcalTcal ✭✭✭
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleh. Abrams has yet to produce something better than mediocre.
  • sorinevsorinev ✭✭✭
    The new movies are excellent standalone SciFi movies, but garbage as Star Trek (and that image above with the douche and Jon Stewart explains it all). There is no end to the "no no no, that's totally, completely, all wrong!" to it. I'd prefer not to see this stuff in game, but as Frank said, that's years away anyway and STT may not be around at the "we do what we want and ignore player feedback when it comes to serious matters" pace that DB is fond of.
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ricardo Montalban was straight up amazing (plus pecks)

Which were real, at 62 years old.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    Ricardo Montalban was straight up amazing (plus pecks)

Which were real, at 62 years old.

That man was a seriously attractive 62 year old. Hot damn.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of whitey "Khan" but if the art shows him crushing Robocop's head I'd take it.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Having to deal with Discovery is bad enough, I don't need even more Star-Trek-in-name-only stuff in this game.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    First movie was mixed bag, second bad, never saw the third. One of the things I did like was using the Trek staples of time travel and alternate universes to justify the reboot. Including it does fit with the STT theme of everyone from different timelines and realities thrown together. I'm alright with them being in the game, but I won't go out of my way to collect any...except maybe Simon Pegg.
  • Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be down for this. I accept the Kelvin characters if they would get rid of the non-canon characters. I mean, would Quinto Spock really be worse than 23rd century Martok?
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
    Hungry Dog wrote: »
    I'd be down for this. I accept the Kelvin characters if they would get rid of the non-canon characters. I mean, would Quinto Spock really be worse than 23rd century Martok?

Yes, Syler Spock is worse.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either way is fine. I don't mind the movies, but I agree that they're not very Trek-like. If it's an interesting character, then maybe I'll keep them. If I don't like them, they can go. No big.
  • The minute that happens will see my departure from this game. One of the reasons I enjoy this game is the lack of Kelvin Universe characters. For me, the Kelvin Universe is "Star Trek" in name only.

Just simply space every Kelvin character you get. You can keep your vault and fleet Kelvin free!
    Pepex82 wrote: »

Just simply space every Kelvin character you get. You can keep your vault and fleet Kelvin free!

And skip Kelvin timeline based events, and eventually not login at all.