Home The Bridge

CBS/Viacom pending merger: Will we see Kelvinverse characters in STT within the year?

Comments

• Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    After a Wrinkle in Time, I kinda hope Chris Pine gets exiled to the stage in the UK or some such.

It wasn't his fault the movie was bad. It's just not a strong plot for a movie and it didn't play out deeply enough that it could be any good. I just watched it yesterday, it was no one's acting which was the fault.

Thanks to a friend of mine who works in one of the theatres I've seen it more than once. I really tried the first two times to find the good in the film. but his acting particularly being rescued is wooden and then goes completely manic in other scenes making him not really believable except in a cartoon like fashion even with the sucky screenwriting and directing. The kids did well with what they were given, though I dunno if it was directing, or her acting, the actress playing Meg put it on way too thick in places. (Happy Medium Scene in particular).

I agree that even if Pine had delivered that the movie would have still blown, mostly due to the screenwriters not understanding the characters in the source material nor what they wanted to do with them except Meg, I think his performance actually drives it even lower.

At least it was better than the 2003 version, lol.

I don't agree simply because he only had like 10 minutes of screen time, that's barely anything to work with, so I don't think his presence in fact impacted the movie whatsoever really.

As I said, the acting isn't the issue, it's the plot resolution. The writers/director just didn't know how to handle the grandiose potential of the plot so they played it out as small-ly and untapped as possible. In fact, I try not to think of the movie as a plot movie at all, but just a visual movie. The visuals were the only thing worth the experience and even then, not worth $15-20 or so bucks to see.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    If this happens, it's within the realm of possibility that Disruptor Beam will be able to secure rights to use the versions of the characters from the Kelvin timeline within Star Trek Timelines.

I hope not. There is already huge STD infestation here. I don't need another one.
  • ... I do remember walking out of the first one mad though.
    I own it on dvd but have never seen it. I just can't seem to make myself watch it because I think that watching it will make me angry.
    Be honest, was there any star trek show or movie that you liked when it actually came out?
    I liked TNG from the start. I liked DS9 from the start. I liked every TOS and TNG movie the forst time I saw them, even the ones I later realized weren't very good.
    I liked Voyager at the start, and it took three years for the problems with that show to drive me away. And even then I came back a few years later.
    Several times during Voyager, Rick Berman or Brannon Braga (or both) would say in an interview something that boiled down to the idea that they felt the fans who had been with Star Trek since TOS, the ones who bought the Encyclopedia and who knew what year the Enterprise-D first met the Borg, were annoying and they wished we would go away.
    When in the pilot for Enterprise they gave a travel time to the Klingon homeworld that made it impossibly close (I don't mean improbably, I mean impossibly, as in there are no stars that close to Earth except the Sun), I saw that B&B had erected a giant middle finger aimed at the fans so I gave them what they wanted: I went away.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    What if they acquire the rights to the newer films, but they only use the "prime universe" characters from those films, rather than also releasing alternate versions of the Enterprise crew?

I would definitely like to have Old Spock or Nero.
  • Clone 7 wrote: »
    What if they acquire the rights to the newer films, but they only use the "prime universe" characters from those films, rather than also releasing alternate versions of the Enterprise crew?

What if they want to spend a buck of money on the rights for a bunch of things and then not use them?

DB is either going to buy the rights and milk every single penny out of those movies (which means, every single crew), or they are not going to buy the rights.
    "Dance with me. For science."
    Clone 7 wrote: »

What if they want to spend a buck of money on the rights for a bunch of things and then not use them?

DB is either going to buy the rights and milk every single penny out of those movies (which means, every single crew), or they are not going to buy the rights.

Very true. If they do obtain the rights, I expect we'll see like 4 versions of Pine Kirk: Barfight Kirk from the 1st movie, Ice Planet Kirk from the 1st movie, Alternate Timeline Captain Kirk from all 3 movies, and Away-Team Kirk from the 3rd movie.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't bother me to have the Kelvinverse versions of the crew, but I'm not bothered by their absence either; I like them all to varying degrees on screen, but I feel like they're aspects of the same characters, and those characters are served by the versions the game already has so they're not missing as such (although if you frame it as 'would I like seeing Steve Trevor's face in my crew every day', then I'm swayed more). I would love the original Kelvinverse characters - Jaylah, Krall, especially Commodore Paris (I'd turn the game's sound back on if she has voice clips). I really liked Beyond.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    A decent compromise might be to only include those elements from the Kelvin movies that existed in the Prime universe. So, the USS Kelvin and her captain and crew, as well as future Nimoy Spock and his fast ship.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    A decent compromise might be to only include those elements from the Kelvin movies that existed in the Prime universe. So, the USS Kelvin and her captain and crew, as well as future Nimoy Spock and his fast ship.

A compromise between what, exactly? Introducing characters representing the entire canon and introducing just the characters that the crankiest part of the forum will accept? Given how frequently we have to hear about it every time someone around here "airlocks on sight" all version of a given character or all characters from a given series, it's not like the ability to not keep someone is unknown around here.

The "Airlock on sight" people amuse me to no end, it's like are you that panty-wadded that you just can't silently do it? You have to announce it loud and proud like it'll earn you something???
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭

A compromise between what, exactly? Introducing characters representing the entire canon and introducing just the characters that the crankiest part of the forum will accept? Given how frequently we have to hear about it every time someone around here "airlocks on sight" all version of a given character or all characters from a given series, it's not like the ability to not keep someone is unknown around here.

The "Airlock on sight" people amuse me to no end, it's like are you that panty-wadded that you just can't silently do it? You have to announce it loud and proud like it'll earn you something???

Presumably they think it'll affect some change, and DB will cease to add the characters that they don't like in the future? I dunno. There are a lot of things in this game that people can, and should moan about; including characters from Star Trek shouldn't really be one of them.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I'm not an "airlock on sight" person, as you put it - I'm a "give us more crew slots so we can keep everyone" guy. I was thinking more from a writing and image consistency perspective. As an audience, you can choose to suspend your disbelief with the Kelvin Timeline films and accept Pine, Quinto and company as those characters. It's fine to even have young Quinto Spock and older Nimoy Spock side by side because of the age difference. It's a little harder to have both TOS-era Shatner Kirk right next to Pine Kirk and maintain that suspension.

With Discovery-era, it's a touch easier to reconcile James Frain's Sarek with Mark Leonard's, or the two Amandas, since there's at least a small age difference - granted, it's only a decade, so Sarek and Amanda shouldn't really look different at all, especially a Vulcan. (And is Vulcan even around, or does the Kelvin black hole also destroy Prime universe Vulcan as well?)

Granted, the game IS called Timelines, so it might actually open up more story possibilities. Resettling the Vulcan refugees on Prime Vulcan, Romulans trying to prevent the future death of their star, a mission to close all the dangerous plot holes of Into Darkness.... I just think for maintaining world consistency, it's better to keep the game Prime.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    The crux of the matter is, people are passionate about Star Trek. And exactly what "Star Trek" is, doesn't mean the same thing for everybody. We all bring something unique to the table, depending on our personalities, the age we were when we first were introduced to it, how we identify with the characters, etc.

If fans didn't have the love they have for Trek, there wouldn't be such emotional reactions — both positive and negative — to various entities within the franchise. Some of those fans feel that certain shows/movies/etc. are an insult to what they perceive as being the core of Star Trek; others will be upset that the same show/movie/etc. isn't equally loved by all fans, as they think it personifies what Trek is and thus nobody who loves Trek should dislike it. Thing is, neither side is wrong. Where there is a large group who is passionate about something, there will be disagreements. But disagreements do not have to be uncivil, and there's no need to resort to ad hominem attacks because we think the other side is being too rigid in their beliefs.

We'll never have a time when we can all be on the same page, nor will the average argument for one particular point of view have the effect of changing the mind of the average fan who shares the opposite point of view. What we can do, is try to realize that anything we love (or anything we despise) will have its proponents and its opponents — and do our best to hopefully reach a point of, if not necessarily understanding, at least some semblance of respectful acceptance. ;)

lol read this in Data's voice, but completely agree
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol read this in Data's voice, but completely agree

Too many conjunctions. (Well, I guess it could be post E-chip Data.)
  • [TFA] Celeres[TFA] Celeres ✭✭✭✭
    Probably been said already, but I hope it just means we can have Trek movies that are set in the real timeline again.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Probably been said already, but I hope it just means we can have Trek movies that are set in the real timeline again.

Since Beyond lost money in the end (due to large promo costs as well as the production itself), it will probably depend on how the JJ/Tarantino collaboration goes.

(Citation on the losing money in the end in the link)

http://deadline.com/2017/07/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-box-office-forecast-sumer-franchise-fatigue-1202123662/

I think the Tarantino move is trying to turn the ship around to be profitable again. If it is, you'll see more of whatever is in that film. If not you'll see more options on the table, which might be a return to prime, a break from the franchise, or simply trying something else.

Who knows, maybe the merged entity will sell Trek to Marvel/Disney.
  • RennJaxo wrote: »
    If people are really childish and petty enough to quit the game due to the inclusive of the Kelvin Universe characters, than I feel like that's more than enough reason to get 'em in there.

I wouldn’t say it was childish nor petty to quit a game that I would no longer find enjoyable. Nor would I have any ill-feelings towards DB or those who continue playing.

As I stated, I understand that some people enjoy the JJ movies and would want to see the characters from such within the game. Good for them! Please just respect that there are some of us who dislike those films too.
  • OH GOD, one can only take so many abominations in the game, new "klingons" are enough ... but i suppose one must stop playing a game at certain points ... more money for beer for me then :D
  • Pallidyne wrote: »

Since Beyond lost money in the end (due to large promo costs as well as the production itself), it will probably depend on how the JJ/Tarantino collaboration goes.

(Citation on the losing money in the end in the link)

http://deadline.com/2017/07/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-box-office-forecast-sumer-franchise-fatigue-1202123662/

I think the Tarantino move is trying to turn the ship around to be profitable again. If it is, you'll see more of whatever is in that film. If not you'll see more options on the table, which might be a return to prime, a break from the franchise, or simply trying something else.

Who knows, maybe the merged entity will sell Trek to Marvel/Disney.

Think they brought in Tarantino to remove some of the lense flares....
  • Better Jar-Jar Abrams Kelvin-verse than any more of that ****hole discovery and any other new Burnhead version
  • In some ways it might be cool. I did like the last one except for the song at the end. I do remember walking out of the first one mad though. But I love discovery so I guess it depends on my mood.

I would of walked out of the first one, but I was with someone, and it was the Minnesota Orchestra that was playing the soundtrack live, and walking out would of been insulting the orchestra.

Kelvin enters this game, I'm done.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    y2w5u2z76pnd.jpeg
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Empty threats like this amuse me to no end. Or if it's not empty, the fact you have to announce it to make it seem more than it is also amuses me to no end. If Kelvin enters, just leave, we don't need an announcement about it. Same goes for the people who go "airlock on sight".

His comment didn't strike me as a threat by any stretch. It's no different than "If they add X character, I'll buy a pack for it!". Voicing one's opinions is the point of forums.

Frankly, for every person I see saying they're put off by the new movies/disc, I see two or three people condescending to them. Negative opinions are just as valid as positive opinions, if phrased neutrally or politely. "X series is garbage" comments are as unnecessary as their condescending counterparts.

I see this in a lot of games; people state the things that would make them want to leave and then people on the other side of the issue gleefully say "don't let the door hit you on the way out." Except that not every player who quits is replaced by someone new who shares your views. More customers are good for product longevity. Unless someone is being vile, I can't understand why players often want their contemporaries to leave; it only hurts them in the long run.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether he leaves or not doesn't bother me, that's my whole message. He's making it this big deal that if certain characters are added to the game, then he will leave. He's announcing it as if fellow players should care. No one really does care. Maybe he's saying it for DB's sake then. But should DB care? Maybe. But will it matter to them? No, he's just one player and it won't affect their business model. Why would they honestly care if introducing Kelvin series characters makes this one little guy leave? In fact, they'd probably turn even more profit from including them simply because that will draw in fans all on its own.

As for me, I have no concerns if anyone shares my views. Any player can hold any view they want, I could care less if they like the Kelvin characters or not. I just think it's fruitless to go spouting how much you are threatening to leave (yes, it is a threat to announce your future plans to do some negative action to another, in this case leaving DB's service) or how hard you're gonna airlock a specific crew release on sight. A fruitful action would be sending that message to DB directly, not feather-fluffing and pointless posturing on a forum.

I don't think his writing 2 and 1/2 lines in a post are making a big deal. By comparison, you, who don't care, have posted in this thread 8 times with your thoughts.

I just don't see how "If they do X I will do positive thing" is more worthwhile of forum space than "If they do X I will do negative thing". Telling people to leave for posting an opinion is silly.
    Any player can hold any view they want, I could care less if they like the Kelvin characters or not.
    If Kelvin enters, just leave, we don't need an announcement about it.
    Whether he leaves or not doesn't bother me, that's my whole message. He's making it this big deal that if certain characters are added to the game, then he will leave. He's announcing it as if fellow players should care. No one really does care. Maybe he's saying it for DB's sake then. But should DB care? Maybe. But will it matter to them? No, he's just one player and it won't affect their business model. Why would they honestly care if introducing Kelvin series characters makes this one little guy leave? In fact, they'd probably turn even more profit from including them simply because that will draw in fans all on its own.

As for me, I have no concerns if anyone shares my views. Any player can hold any view they want, I could care less if they like the Kelvin characters or not. I just think it's fruitless to go spouting how much you are threatening to leave (yes, it is a threat to announce your future plans to do some negative action to another, in this case leaving DB's service) or how hard you're gonna airlock a specific crew release on sight. A fruitful action would be sending that message to DB directly, not feather-fluffing and pointless posturing on a forum.

I don't think his writing 2 and 1/2 lines in a post are making a big deal. By comparison, you, who don't care, have posted in this thread 8 times with your thoughts.

I just don't see how "If they do X I will do positive thing" is more worthwhile of forum space than "If they do X I will do negative thing". Telling people to leave for posting an opinion is silly.
    Any player can hold any view they want, I could care less if they like the Kelvin characters or not.
    If Kelvin enters, just leave, we don't need an announcement about it.

I don't see what all 8-9 comments of mine in this thread have to do with anything about what you and I are particularly discussing, which is people who announce how the inclusion of certain characters will cause them to leave and how that's a comment that seems more like someone going "I'm really gonna do it, I'm really gonna leave" but only saying that because they want the attention and want people to stop them from leaving.

5 of my comments have nothing to do with people leaving. 2 of those comments are just me generally discussing the inclusion of the Kelvin characters. 3 other comments of mine are about Chris Pine, the actor of James Kirk in the Kelvin series, and my opinions on his chops as an actor in another movie. Then 2 of my comments are about people doing the whole "I'm gonna leave" deal, and the other 2 comments are about me responding to you responding to me. Am I not supposed to respond???

Lastly, you act like I'm telling people to leave as if it is my original idea that they should do so. that's being incredibly obtuse and I don't know if you're being that way purposefully or not. My "telling people to leave" is just telling them to commit to whatever action is their original idea and that we don't need posturing and announcements of it. That is all.

• Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

Empty threats like this amuse me to no end. Or if it's not empty, the fact you have to announce it to make it seem more than it is also amuses me to no end. If Kelvin enters, just leave, we don't need an announcement about it. Same goes for the people who go "airlock on sight".

His comment didn't strike me as a threat by any stretch. It's no different than "If they add X character, I'll buy a pack for it!". Voicing one's opinions is the point of forums.

Frankly, for every person I see saying they're put off by the new movies/disc, I see two or three people condescending to them. Negative opinions are just as valid as positive opinions, if phrased neutrally or politely. "X series is garbage" comments are as unnecessary as their condescending counterparts.

I see this in a lot of games; people state the things that would make them want to leave and then people on the other side of the issue gleefully say "don't let the door hit you on the way out." Except that not every player who quits is replaced by someone new who shares your views. More customers are good for product longevity. Unless someone is being vile, I can't understand why players often want their contemporaries to leave; it only hurts them in the long run.

For me, the problem with the anti-Disco and anti-Kelvin business is that it's so absolute. The "I'll quit!" threats carry the implicit message that the only way to keep those players from quitting is for DB to exclude content those players don't like. That goes beyond "I'm not likely to stick with a game long term" stuff. It's a ridiculous form of attempted coercion. That's the problem.

I hated VOY, but it would be laughable for me to protest the inclusion of VOY. It's a foregone conclusion VOY would be included. It should be included. It exists, it's legitimate, and DB has the rights to content from it. Whether I like VOY is not remotely relevant.
    I’d like a Nero
    ctw6st00jfza.jpeg

I’m holding out for a Nero ‘til the end of the niiiigggggghhhhtttt

I was thinking a few months ago that "Weird" Al should do "Dammit, Stamets!" set to "Dammit, Janet" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. "Holding Out for a Nero" should be the B-side.