Home The Bridge
Options

Q&A with Admiral Prince April '18 Reflections

Comments

• Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they didn't mention the crew slot issue because there IS no crew slot issue. Crew slots in this game come down to space management and I suspect many (though not all) with perceived issues aren't managing their crew well. For instance, how many cadets do you have? You can do any mission with as few as 4 total greens and 4 total blues if you have the correct ones. Work through your FF cards and put them in the freezer or if they're better than someone you've got already, put that original dude in the freezer.
  • Options
    I for one am not satisfied with the Q&A. The answers were quite nebulous. Such as soon and we have plans. I saw nothing that was concrete or definitive from it. Except that they will continue to take our money and time and do nothing that we, the players of the game, have suggested to make it a better game playing experience for us. All that we will do by playing this game is line their coffers.

I propose that we, as the loyal Star Trek fans and players of this game can do 1 of 3 things.

1. Do nothing and maintain the status quo, if you're happy spending your money (or just your time if you're free to play) on a game that is not listening to its players.
    2. Do nothing for one month (or longer) as in stop playing. Show them that we are serious about wanting changes.
    3. Continue playing, but, stop spending real money on the game. This will go for free to play as well, don't buy anything in game. No Dabo spins, no crew packs, no boosts, no clicking on the ads to get extra chrons or single warps. Also, as hard as it may be to do, do not participate in ANY of the events! No matter how bad you want to! Show them that we are tired of them not seriously listening to us!

It's time for the DB Do Better movement to resurface!

I'm sure in days of yore I would have been made to walk to the plank for my talk of mutiny, but, so be it!

Let's do this!

MadMax

We're mad as hell and aren't going to take this any more!
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Business as usual. *sigh*

Chat is still hashtagged, no fleet leaderboards, no new event right now ---- we are still in the same situation as yesterday. Nothing changed.
  • Options
    [10F]MadMax[10F]MadMax ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Business as usual. *sigh*

Please, expound on your comment.

Thanks Trista, I thought the business as usual was directed at my displeasure. Those are things that would help the game. I'd love to see a fleet leaderboard, it would help with fleet participation toward an end goal!
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Event participation is at an all time time high, so the reward structure is great to be kept from when it was at an all time low. That makes absolutely zero sense. The events are my prime source of burnout. The tiers are too tight for the size of the player base as it is now, and have been for 6 months or more. I went several months F2P to heal the burnout, and I am not opposed to doing it again as needed. As it is, my spending is still severely lessened from a year ago and this announcement is not helping.
  • Options
    I play these events for many hours out of my day and I can barely crack the 3000 mark. There does need to be a change. I've never cracked the 1000 mark. Don't get me started on shuttle failures when the success rate is greater than 90%
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torias327 wrote: »
    Event participation is at an all time time high, so the reward structure is great to be kept from when it was at an all time low. That makes absolutely zero sense.

It makes no sense if you view events as a means to give stuff to the players.

If you view events as a way to encourage playing and spending, it makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read the Q & A, and I have come to the conclusion that it was a waste of time. What I mean is, is that nothing is changing for awhile - business as usual. So why did we need the Q & A?

I have to agree. Of course, the sad truth is that even if they did say a lot of exciting things were coming we either wouldn’t believe them or would try to guess how DB would screw it up. This is the reputation DB has earned over the years and it is well-earned.

I spend on this game in spite of DB’s general incompetence, arrogance, and myriad other failings, not because of it.

• Options
    Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I just read the Q & A, and I have come to the conclusion that it was a waste of time. What I mean is, is that nothing is changing for awhile - business as usual. So why did we need the Q & A?

Doing the Q/A gives the perception of open communication with the base without having to release any actual substance. They picked the Qs they gave the As...it’s kind of like lip syncing instead of performing...
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    Here's my thinking.

While I am frustrated there are no specific timelines, I would probably be more frustrated if there were specific timelines, which are not likely to be met. In other words, I prefer a Valve type situation than a GRRM situation.

What is very frustrating, and to me inexcusable, is the lack of visible places our money is going.
    Tons of money is being spent on this game every month by players, and other than new crew, the amount of development by DB crawls at a snail's pace.

• Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »
    This comment annoyed me:
    We won’t be making it so that the time and effort people spent getting these characters out of the gauntlet is trivialised.

It is complete rubbish that players who got the gauntlet characters did so from time or effort. It was friendly RNGods that got them the characters. In our fleet some of the characters who play the most have yet to get a gauntlet character where newer players have been luckier and got multiple copies.

That DB consider luck and time and effort to be the same thing says all you really need to know

As someone who lucked into two Locutii and three Guinans, I couldn't agree more and have been making that argument the whole time. There is no reason whatsoever these should be sacrosanct and withheld from the general population. It wouldn't devalue what I have in any way whatsoever. If anything, I find it a bit embarrassing that I've pulled them and would feel better about it if I knew more of the player base had access to them.

Regarding the rest of the Q&A, while I'm disappointed about the fate of Expeditions, at least there's some closure and I can quit asking for them. Let's pour one out for 'em.

ys78jgtyatp5.jpg
  • Options
    S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    Sounds like DB are delighted to increase the ferocity of the rat race of players who wanna get into the top 1000.... how can new players hope to succeed and acquire 5* event crew if more people are playing than ever and the reward structure is to be unchanged going forward? Seems like an awful plan. I may pick and choose my events with a lot more care henceforth
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind that there are no specific timelines. Odds are good the community would overreact to a "promise" that they made.

"Major" features from 2017 onward:

Gauntlet: February 2017
    Achievements: June 2017
    Starbases: August 2017
    Voyages: September 2017
    Collections: February 2018

Seems like we're getting close to due for a major content release soon. I would have expected them to tease at that a little more if there actually was something coming. Maybe the new event type will come sooner than what they are alluding to. Maybe June mega?
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who lucked into two Locutii and three Guinans, I couldn't agree more and have been making that argument the whole time. There is no reason whatsoever these should be sacrosanct and withheld from the general population. It wouldn't devalue what I have in any way whatsoever.

They aren't saying that though. More like they're going to find a balance. I agree that making them available to others won't devalue them to me, but I can bet there are people out there who would be upset if they were made easy to acquire.
  • Options
    Event participation is at an all time time high, so the reward structure is great to be kept from when it was at an all time low. That makes absolutely zero sense. The events are my prime source of burnout. The tiers are too tight for the size of the player base as it is now, and have been for 6 months or more. I went several months F2P to heal the burnout, and I am not opposed to doing it again as needed. As it is, my spending is still severely lessened from a year ago and this announcement is not helping.

I think DB is referring to the whales event participation where they burn crazy amount of resources at all time high.

The sardines... who cares about you?
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    Event participation is at an all time time high, so the reward structure is great to be kept from when it was at an all time low. That makes absolutely zero sense.

It makes no sense if you view events as a means to give stuff to the players.

If you view events as a way to encourage playing and spending, it makes perfect sense.

Well, that's an interesting point. The events used to be a way to give players crew - especially 4/4 crew. But you're right DB may not view it that way anymore now that we have citations.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's time for another hiatus after the Augment mega event in June. I've done one in 2017 for half a year (January to June), and it looks like it's gunna be an ELOA until around Christmas again, because most of the new stuff is supposed to arrive in early 2019 ... so, I adapt to this strategy then.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    V. wrote: »
    The events used to be a way to give players crew - especially 4/4 crew. But you're right DB may not view it that way anymore now that we have citations.

Don't fool yourself - events have always been a means to get players to spend. That's the whole point of any company.
  • Options
    [NDQ] Joker41NAM[NDQ] Joker41NAM ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also very disappointed by the Q&non-A. However, I'd like to try to be positive, and offer up a solution for DB.

I play two mobile games, this one and another (which will remain nameless, but is another major SF franchise, and anyone who plays it will know what I'm referring to). The other game also has had long-standing communication issues, including several goofs with new content releases and changes to rewards that didn't work out. However, they recently took steps to address them.

The product managers have done two live Q&As on the forums in the past month, and while they couldn't answer many of the questions, they did their best to explain why they couldn't answer. A few things they flat-out said weren't going to happen, and usually explained why. Several questions about "when is 'x' coming?" they could confirm were being worked on, but couldn't give a release date for beyond "this year" or "Soon (TM)." Even so, the community appreciated them braving the forum, and they did their best to answer all the questions they could in the order they came in, rather than picking and choosing what they wanted to answer.

The other thing they've started doing is giving a quarterly "Road Ahead" post, where they give a rough sketch of what's going to come out over the next quarter. It doesn't go into fine detail, or provide specific dates within the quarter, but it does show what major new content releases are coming, and what major bugs/QoL adjustments they're looking to make and roughly the order they would come in. There's an understanding that the schedule may slip a bit, but again the community has been very appreciative.

I think if DB were to do either of these things, especially the latter, it might well earn them back some good will. Gleaning from the Q&A, they have the beginnings of a Road Ahead report they could build on (the new ship event in the June Mega). I hope they will consider something like these suggestions; giving players a peek behind the curtain, without throwing it completely open, would really help.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    V. wrote: »
    The events used to be a way to give players crew - especially 4/4 crew. But you're right DB may not view it that way anymore now that we have citations.

Don't fool yourself - events have always been a means to get players to spend. That's the whole point of any company.

well, in the beginning there was a lot of talk about providing some access to crew for free and low cost players. before there were events there was no way at all to get crew except for spending. now there are many ways to get crew outside of the events. True this is mostly blue and green crew but there is some more purples and of course citations.

the first couple events were very exciting. i remember staying up every 3 hours to get proton and arachnia, which became my best crew at the time.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    the shining example of that Q&A just being awful was the fleet question.

They combined the fleet leaderboard, rewards and events into ONE question and then gave answers that no one could understand what pertained to what.

/bangheadonwall
    Is there any plan for a Fleet leaderboard, Fleet rewards, or an event where Fleets compete against each other?
    Is there a plan? Yes!
    Has it been implemented? Not yet!
    Will it need to be rolled out in stages and tested along the way? You bet it will!
    Is it coming soon? Probably not.

Plan for which? what needs to be done in stages? which of those is coming soon? all ? some? none?
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 23-0 ratio of crew and slot in the wordcount. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not disappointed. This met my expectations exactly. A waste of time with a bunch of soon maybe somedays just designed to placate people while saying even less than a slimey politician up for his 14th re-election in district he can't lose.

I would post the DB to English translation of the answers, but Shan would just snip it in minutes anyways. Suffice it to say it's mostly a bunch of no's, somedays, we've already given you peasants plenty, and CBS said do this.
  • Options
    All I know is I'm not spending one red cent this month or doing any events. Hit them in the wallet. That's the only way they will listen.
  • Options
    /bangheadonwall
    Is there any plan for a Fleet leaderboard, Fleet rewards, or an event where Fleets compete against each other?
    Is there a plan? Yes!
    Has it been implemented? Not yet!
    Will it need to be rolled out in stages and tested along the way? You bet it will!
    Is it coming soon? Probably not.

Plan for which? what needs to be done in stages? which of those is coming soon? all ? some? none?

Yeah, I like that QnA.... Give you hope about something but no promise they will fullfil it lol
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Word count check:
    "soon": 7
    "later": 5
    "future": 5
    "crew": 23
    "slot": 0

In fairness, one of those soon's was a very soon. o:)
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF you want the events restructured don’t spend on rankings buy the pack instead and let the leaderboards be topped by F2P for a month it’ll soon change then.

I’m Surprised Erin didn’t Address restructuring Vip levels/perks 2yrs it’s overdue a revamp.