Home Ready Room

The (New And Improved) Little Book Of Cadet Advice (v2.0)

Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Ready Room
Update: The Little Book has upgraded to Sheets! Those familiar with the new Big Book will see the similarities but yes I moved over to the Sheets format as it's easier to update and stats are tracked in real time! Link updated below.

Good day to you all. Welcome to the Little Book Of Cadet Advice, the younger version of the Big Book! Inside is a tiered list of 1-3* crew organised by usefulness, written with intention to give new players a good idea of who to keep in their rosters when the quarters get full.

Each rarity is evaluated based on different conditions listen in the guide. So if you are overwhelmed by the amount of crew you have and not sure who is best to keep and who best to show out of the nearest airlock then come take a look.

The Little Book Of Cadet Advice

Thanks to 10F and the guys on the Timelines discord for help evaluating the rankings. Also to Automaton_2000 for inspiration from the Big Book and to all those who keep all the spreadsheets and guides up to date.
When new crew are released I will keep this up to date, version log is at the bottom of the document.

Comments

• This is truely awsome!
    I wish I had a similar advice when I started this game. I got my crew slots full and did not really knew whom to threw out and whom to keep. It took me quite a while to e.g. finish my cadet missions because of same key crew not being in my roster (but I remember that I had them once).
    Thanks for all the effort Captain - truely a - Idol
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nicely done! It pleases me that "Riker's Angels" has stuck. My, how that team has grown! Here's my original thread, on the old forum:

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/63571

The header pic isn't showing anymore, so here it is, or at least an early version of it. I feel like I added a title to the version I used for that thread.

tzijuffmn6bo.jpg
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Captain Idol 👏 👏 🎉 I know how much work you've put into this. It will be very helpful for new cadets 🌟
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nicely done! It pleases me that "Riker's Angels" has stuck. My, how that team has grown! Here's my original thread, on the old forum:

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/63571

The header pic isn't showing anymore, so here it is, or at least an early version of it. I feel like I added a title to the version I used for that thread.

tzijuffmn6bo.jpg

Yes the roster grows ever larger! Now with Injured Torres being the latest addition!

Cadet Sito, Lt Pazlar, Ensign Seska, Injured Torres, Ensign Ro, Festive Dax, Lt Wildman and to a lesser extent Chief Engineer Torres.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    You bring great honor to our fleet, @[10F] Captain Idol .
    Farewell 🖖
    Which is funny as someone in the fleet told me I was without honor for airlocking certain crew earlier! :p
    Which is funny as someone in the fleet told me I was without honor for airlocking certain crew earlier! :p

It is a remarkable story of redemption! :D
    Farewell 🖖
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭

You airlocked Galen! What did you expect!
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
    @Travis S McClain Thanks, I've amended Yar now.

It's good as there's lots of flexibility for cadets in the greens, so until the cadets are finished it's worth keeping and immortalizing all of the aforementioned.

Maybe this mega will give us another 2* MED monster.
  • KadavarKadavar ✭✭✭
    Can I please ask what difference the order of skills makes on characters? Some characters have the first skill as their highest stat, but on others its the second or third one. Does this affect their ability in particular events ? Cheers.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I find it a bit harsh to compare a grey, green and blue altogether. Surely they should be considered on merit within their rarity only?
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
    Kadavar wrote: »
    Can I please ask what difference the order of skills makes on characters? Some characters have the first skill as their highest stat, but on others its the second or third one. Does this affect their ability in particular events ? Cheers.

So far as I know, no. Just the stats themselves matter. Also, in case you didn't know the formula for events:

FACTION
    Featured Crew 3x base
    Bonus Crew 2x base

GALAXY
    Featured Crew 5x base
    Bonus Crew 3x base
    Personally I find it a bit harsh to compare a grey, green and blue altogether. Surely they should be considered on merit within their rarity only?

I mostly agree, but I also think it makes sense to combine 1* and 2*, since they're used in the same challenges and players consulting this guide are likely to need it most for those.
    edited August 2019
    I did it partly for aesthetic reasons and also to show how bad some of the worst 2-3* card are. Yes they could go in their own column but you might miss Chief Engineer Torres's fantastic collection boosts because you are not actively looking in the common collection.
    Also it gives the good 2* cards that are tier 1 the recognition they deserve standing next to good 3* cards. Highlights the usefulness to a new player rather than strictly a numbers game.
    I did it partly for aesthetic reasons and also to show how bad some of the worst 2-3* card are. Yes they could go in their own column but you might miss Chief Engineer Torres's fantastic collection boosts because you are not actively looking in the common collection.
    Also it gives the good 2* cards that are tier 1 the recognition they deserve standing next to good 3* cards. Highlights the usefulness to a new player rather than strictly a numbers game.

As this is largely a resource for newer players, I stand by the decision. I will also add that when new players have to decide who to airlock, it makes sense to make them aware that it is not always best to keep the 3* over a 2*.
    Farewell 🖖
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

True enough but you currently have her at Tier 7 whereas in a grey category you would have her more likely Tier 1.

I don't know about most but if I was strapped for spaces I wouldn't really be looking at tier 7. Another option would be to keep them altogether but treat them on their own rarity and bump them up to the appropriate tier.

Also I think you underestimate the "choose one" captain(s) and their worth progressing on the campaign map early game. Also if I recall correctly Captain Kirk has the best chance of criting a CMD cadet node on epic.

And lastly events should also be considered Talos IV Spock for instance very good base and incredibly useful for weekend challenges, Similarly LT CMR Data strong base for a green.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Reading through this and it looks great! One small edit: Senator Cretak is shown as a green 2*, when she's actually a blue 3*.

EDIT: I actually noticed two other mistakes: Teenager Nog (Tier 8) is listed as a 2*, when he should be a 1*. Also, Commander Scot is listed twice, in Tiers 6 and 7.

Also, a suggestion: Maquis Chakotay always stood out for me for how horrible it was to FE him. I think he's the only Common card with a Super Rare item and he needs an insane amount of Maquis faction only items to do it. Might be worth noting in his description.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    Also, a suggestion: Maquis Chakotay always stood out for me for how horrible it was to FE him. I think he's the only Common card with a Super Rare item and he needs an insane amount of Maquis faction only items to do it. Might be worth noting in his description.

The same should go for Gaia Odo imo. He’s harder to equip than Constable version, and he’s placed in higher tier

Gaia Odo is mostly in a higher Tier due to his use in cadet missions, specifically his DIP stats. Whereas Constable Odo, although better in stats, doesn't have much use outside a few nodes and will easily be replaced. Nodes are needed for farming, but cadet missions are forever.

This is what differentiates my Tier system, not that the statistics of each crew are better but how useful they are to a new player. Again this is all subjective. Although I will admit I've not taken mission nodes as much to account as I could have, so the beginning captains probably have taken a hit there. I'm happy to re-evaluate but it moving tiers has to be due to significant changes. But like the Big Book, once your crew quarters fill out, a player will begin to understand where his priorities lie.

Maquis Chakotay is horrible to equip...you should never do so.

@EnderW Thanks I have corrected the errors.

True enough but you currently have her at Tier 7 whereas in a grey category you would have her more likely Tier 1.

I don't know about most but if I was strapped for spaces I wouldn't really be looking at tier 7. Another option would be to keep them altogether but treat them on their own rarity and bump them up to the appropriate tier.

Also I think you underestimate the "choose one" captain(s) and their worth progressing on the campaign map early game. Also if I recall correctly Captain Kirk has the best chance of criting a CMD cadet node on epic.

And lastly events should also be considered Talos IV Spock for instance very good base and incredibly useful for weekend challenges, Similarly LT CMR Data strong base for a green.

When it comes down to airlocking crew, Grey 1* crew can be easily chucked. That's the reason I put a cap on 1* crew going no higher than Tier 7 as it didn't feel right to have them alongside others. Whilst I have previously said that stats don't matter as much in this list, they do for Grey's as they are, for the most part, terrible and their main appeal in this list is for collection and very early missions.

Talos Spock can do one, he took too many of my replications and I wish I had found other Vulcans and equipped better crew. For events, lets just say there are far too many Spocks available and with a Portal update coming soon, more to come.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭

Maquis Chakotay is horrible to equip...you should never do so.

So let it be written; so let it be done! :D
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • KadavarKadavar ✭✭✭
    Kadavar wrote: »

So far as I know, no. Just the stats themselves matter. Also, in case you didn't know the formula for events:

FACTION
    Featured Crew 3x base
    Bonus Crew 2x base

GALAXY
    Featured Crew 5x base
    Bonus Crew 3x base

Many thanks for clearing that up - and preventing me having to re-do my crew spreadsheet.
  • So far as I know, no. Just the stats themselves matter. Also, in case you didn't know the formula for events:

FACTION
    Featured Crew 3x base
    Bonus Crew 2x base

GALAXY
    Featured Crew 5x base
    Bonus Crew 3x base

@Travis S McClain just for completion: do you have also the bonus stats for the other event types?
  • Personally I find it a bit harsh to compare a grey, green and blue altogether....

Well, maybe see it from the practical point:
    The known "Big Book" is about the Single Rare and Legendary Cards. This is now an attempt to compare and rank simply all the other cards that were left out.
    Not everyone will agree with each ranking, but it is also everyone's choice to follow an advice or not, mostly depending on available space and the current crew roster.
    Simply to have some advice, which type of crew is needed for the cadet missions and which ones can be left as "to do later/next time it comes around" will be of high value for all new players.
    Personally I find it a bit harsh to compare a grey, green and blue altogether....

Well, maybe see it from the practical point:
    The known "Big Book" is about the Single Rare and Legendary Cards. This is now an attempt to compare and rank simply all the other cards that were left out.
    Not everyone will agree with each ranking, but it is also everyone's choice to follow an advice or not, mostly depending on available space and the current crew roster.
    Simply to have some advice, which type of crew is needed for the cadet missions and which ones can be left as "to do later/next time it comes around" will be of high value for all new players.

Agreed not all truths are universal. My alt for instance is very early game and I'm using the Little Book as a reference. Not having Sito or any Tier 1-4 crews in my alt's roster gave me some perspective about how new players look at crew use.
    For instance the alt is currently working on Data, CMO Crusher and Spock. Those are my best options for cadet and mission usage at the moment based on where I currently am in the game and what my options will be for future cadet missions. He has a ton of blues but I'm not working on them right now due to the greens being more useful in my immediate future, so this is why I rank them together with rares.
    Had I stuck to blue-green-grey then as a new player I might think "oh best work on the blues, they are better" but get stuck in a chrono-deficiency with little to no missions/cadets unlocked. By prioritizing greens over blues the new player opens up more opportunities to work on the blue crews at a later date.
    I may have rambled, in my head I know what I mean, someone more eloquent can explain it better I'm sure.
    On a side note I added some humor into the version history.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes down to airlocking crew, Grey 1* crew can be easily chucked. That's the reason I put a cap on 1* crew going no higher than Tier 7 as it didn't feel right to have them alongside others. Whilst I have previously said that stats don't matter as much in this list, they do for Grey's as they are, for the most part, terrible and their main appeal in this list is for collection and very early missions.

Talos Spock can do one, he took too many of my replications and I wish I had found other Vulcans and equipped better crew. For events, lets just say there are far too many Spocks available and with a Portal update coming soon, more to come.

I distinctly recall Talos IV Spock being harder to equip than Mirror Spock...that’s not right.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wished you had done this half a year ago, I would have consulted it a lot.

Great work really.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.

FACTION
    Featured Crew 3x base
    Bonus Crew 2x base

GALAXY
    Featured Crew 5x base
    Bonus Crew 3x base

@Travis S McClain just for completion: do you have also the bonus stats for the other event types?

@Henning1105 Not for Skirmishes, no. In my beloved Expeditions, the rules kept changing and I've forgotten how VP worked. The fatigue rate was 5% per node for Featured/Bonus crew and 10% for everyone else.