Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Fast as Light (flashback) - 10/31

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are guessing based on what they know about DB and its operations and what they know of the character on the show. Plus the predictors usually toss in a bit of hope. Archer was written to be amazing at command and diplomacy (though arguably that is not always how it ended up in the show). Thus command and diplomacy are obvious guesses. (Particularly since the diplomacy skill is handed out like candy to anyone who is charismatic, outgoing, promiscuous, talks to aliens, speaks for aliens, or who simply needs another skill; very very few crew can truly be called diplomatic.) Some specific episodes and specific scenes would be higher in other traits. For instance, Xindi Caregiver Archer gets med (which is fitting for that episode, though the med skill also gets tossed around like candy).

I think this Archer gets engineering or med as a third skill depending on which desert episode he is from.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    TotMom wrote: »

Off topic, to DB: are re-run events now simply known as Flashbacks? I support the re-branding if this is so, it has a catchy name!

No, at this time Reruns and Flashbacks are slightly different.
    In reruns you will see a new crew as featured event crew, and the old 5* is available in threshold rewards.
    In flashbacks, there is no new crew, and no 5* in threshold rewards.

• Options
    He is staff in the official Timelines Discord channel and is a great source of information about the game and mechanics, crew and interactions with CS for issues.
    Thank you Mr. Barkley for your contributions!
    (PS I wish this Archer had some Med skills, drat!)

Off topic, to DB: are re-run events now simply known as Flashbacks? I support the re-branding if this is so, it has a catchy name!

Sigh, been explained lots of times including in-game announcements and the communications forum on this board.

Reruns are not the same as flashbacks (not rebranded), there have been lots of posts explaining the difference.

Reruns have an old event run again with the same type of event (galaxy, faction) but one new 4* and a new 5* crew and the original event legend reward given out at 400k VP. Also, the missions/shuttles are updated for the evolution of crew.

Flashback events have no new 4*, the original 5* reward from the event is given the prior week (Honey Bare), and a new 5* is given out because of the new event structure requiring this. With a flashback I believe we can expect exactly the same missions, builds, etc as last time this event was run.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is staff in the official Timelines Discord channel and is a great source of information about the game and mechanics, crew and interactions with CS for issues.

Sigh, been explained lots of times including in-game announcements and the communications forum on this board.

Reruns are not the same as flashbacks (not rebranded), there have been lots of posts explaining the difference.

Reruns have an old event run again with the same type of event (galaxy, faction) but one new 4* and a new 5* crew and the original event legend reward given out at 400k VP. Also, the missions/shuttles are updated for the evolution of crew.

Flashback events have no new 4*, the original 5* reward from the event is given the prior week (Honey Bare), and a new 5* is given out because of the new event structure requiring this. With a flashback I believe we can expect exactly the same missions, builds, etc as last time this event was run.

I hate flashbacks, they're so confusing. Why they need another system alongside reruns escapes me. Do they really need to cheap out and not give the older gold crew at 400k? Is the game doing that bad that it's a financial imperative to do less reruns?
  • Options

cs told me there will be re-runs beside the flashback events. i ask them right after they annoucent the first flashback event. and there was no "dont tell anyone" like they do sometimes for some questions (which i still dont understand...),so dont blame me i post this...
    i personally prefer the re-runs just because of the 400k treshhold
  • Options
    ApaggApagg ✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »

I hate flashbacks, they're so confusing. Why they need another system alongside reruns escapes me. Do they really need to cheap out and not give the older gold crew at 400k? Is the game doing that bad that it's a financial imperative to do less reruns?

The reason given is that this is easier and so allows more resources to be dedicated to development. Re-runs presumably took more time/coding effort.
  • Options
    ANNND the players do need a break from time to time from the weekly Event scramble!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »

In reruns you will see a new crew as featured event crew, and the old 5* is available in threshold rewards.

Flashbacks are clearly some form of marketing B* though ... breaks are great etc. ... but ...

Temporal Misalignment was specifically chosen as a Flashback event because the developers did not have to do anything to change the event ... they didn't even have to add the old 5* (Mirror Landry) to the end of the Threshold Reward table .... developers could therefore focus on creating and improving content in other areas of the game.

Fast as Light on the other hand is an old event with an old event structure ... this means that if the same stance is taken as for Temporal Misalignment that the Threshold Reward table will end with the 130.000 VP prize of Buster Kincaid Kim ...
    --> Hence in this FB event, if nothing is done, then players don't even have the chance to get voyage tokens, 1.500 Honor etc., let along there not being an old 5* in the reward structure.

IF game developers ADD extra tiers to this event's reward structure (to meet present reward tables) then why can't they just add an extra tier with the old 5* and make the playerbase happy who can then earn 2/5 of an old character over 2 weekends?

I can go on and on here highlighting the discrepancies ... I understand that changing shuttle seats/recipes to be able to incorporate new crew into an event (as is the case with reruns), but the whole communication around Flashbacks is really poor ... this could have been a perfect vehicle to meet some of the issues the plkayerbase brought up around being able to add extra stras to older crew.

Shan has stated several times that the rewards for this flashback will be the same structure as the last flashback (top 1500 get the gold and 350k max threshold) and not a copy of the initial event.

As someone who collects a lot of the cards, I’m perfectly fine with flashback as they are. The flashbacks let you get an existing star on an old gold by getting top 1500 the prior week instead of having the threshold 400k (not exactly a perfect tradeoff but still doable). What I really prefer is that there are no packs with 1/16 to 1/20 odds of getting the new gold as with a rerun.

• Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Flashbacks are clearly some form of marketing B* though ... breaks are great etc. ... but ...

Temporal Misalignment was specifically chosen as a Flashback event because the developers did not have to do anything to change the event ... they didn't even have to add the old 5* (Mirror Landry) to the end of the Threshold Reward table .... developers could therefore focus on creating and improving content in other areas of the game.

Fast as Light on the other hand is an old event with an old event structure ... this means that if the same stance is taken as for Temporal Misalignment that the Threshold Reward table will end with the 130.000 VP prize of Buster Kincaid Kim ...
    --> Hence in this FB event, if nothing is done, then players don't even have the chance to get voyage tokens, 1.500 Honor etc., let along there not being an old 5* in the reward structure.

IF game developers ADD extra tiers to this event's reward structure (to meet present reward tables) then why can't they just add an extra tier with the old 5* and make the playerbase happy who can then earn 2/5 of an old character over 2 weekends?

I can go on and on here highlighting the discrepancies ... I understand that changing shuttle seats/recipes to be able to incorporate new crew into an event (as is the case with reruns), but the whole communication around Flashbacks is really poor ... this could have been a perfect vehicle to meet some of the issues the plkayerbase brought up around being able to add extra stras to older crew.

Shan clarified that Fast as Light will have the same (updated) reward structure that Temporal Misalignment had. Still your criticism stands valid. I neither understand how this saves any developer effort vs. a rerun apart from creating a pic for the event pack with 4 crew instead of 3. If this is the core point of it all then... I do not know what to say.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options

Shan clarified that Fast as Light will have the same (updated) reward structure that Temporal Misalignment had. Still your criticism stands valid. I neither understand how this saves any developer effort vs. a rerun apart from creating a pic for the event pack with 4 crew instead of 3. If this is the core point of it all then... I do not know what to say.

It saves developing a whole new crew (and a 4 card event pack) over a “rerun”
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

I think it's just a ploy not to give us another star on older crew, why bother with such an intricate mess requiring as much work and confusing everyone if that's not the case?
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

It saves developing a whole new crew (and a 4 card event pack) over a “rerun”
    Hmmmm they saved the new crew last week. So this week could just as well be a rerun. I would prefer to only have reruns with the old 5* crew in the week before which would bring old cards to 2/5 at least if one had zero before. If they did it like that flashbacks were unnecessary and players would probably like to add stars to older crew or at least get 2 stars within 2 weeks instead of getting a new crew before and during a rerun.

Oh... this question would make a nice poll! :)
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Making a new crew takes a significant amount of time.
    Some of the time saved by running "flashbacks" as opposed to "reruns" allows us also to improve on our tools. This in turn made it so that Fast as Light could be adapted to the correct rewards structure without requiring too much time.

I would like also to remind everyone that in a game things are subject to changes.

I am sure none of what I said above will deter anyone from thinking there is something more nefarious at play, oh well :)

Thanks for the insight! I believe you 😉
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

So, the 2* and one of the old 4* Crew will be in the Threshold?

{Doesn't matter for me, I have both 4* FF. Just want it totally clear for those who might misread this that the Legendary is the only Crew not in the Threshold Reward Table.}
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    The naming convention is confusing too.

Flashbacks are more like re-runs than the re-runs are since its the same event crew providing bonuses.

Re-runs should be something else (maybe sequels?) since it adds a new event crew
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I guess we have to wait two hours to find out which Desert Archer it is?

A new Desert Trip and Zobral would be nice if the Event next week does feature Desert Crossing Archer.......

Perhaps one a new 3* and the other the new 4* Threshold. New 2* could be one of Zobral's Freedom Fighters.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Some of the time saved by running "flashbacks" as opposed to "reruns" allows us also to improve on our tools. This in turn made it so that Fast as Light could be adapted to the correct rewards structure without requiring too much time.

I would like also to remind everyone that in a game things are subject to changes.

I am sure none of what I said above will deter anyone from thinking there is something more nefarious at play, oh well :)

I'm sorry but "change is inevitable" is con artist speak. Change happens sure, it can be good or bad and I'm sure most people here will agree that here you're serving us the bad version. You don't have to create new crew for the leaderboards in reruns and you can also an older card to the 400k threshold. You chose not to. You're making bad changes and if you want to call it nefarious that's up to you.

You could also use that opportunity to make improvements and come up with something that doesn't require us to be on our toes to know exactly what's going to happen in the coming week with half a dozen rewards structures that get changed on a whim.

Sorry to be harsh, you're just the PR person and that's your job, but that kind of PR speak is rather upsetting.
  • Options

I can understand the logic (and am glad to know you understand how many forum-residents' minds work).

However, if you're going to be altering the threshold rewards for Flashbacks going forward, please consider adding the existing 5* as the final threshold reward as well. At worst, it's a free honor hit for people who already have her FF. For the rest of the playerbase, it gives us a chance to get the 5* if we were unable to rank high enough to get it in the previous event (straight Faction events are the only event type left that I can't rank top-1500, so I'm feeling this one).
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to state clearly that I'm actually ALL FOR Flashback events ... but I feel that they should have the 5* ADDED to the Threshold reward table at 400k VP ... just like they do for reruns ... and that the reason of "developers being busy" was a poor one.

I also stated "I understand that changing shuttle seats/recipes to be able to incorporate new crew into an event (as is the case with reruns), but the whole communication around Flashbacks is really poor" ... so I am well aware of the extra work that going into a rerun.

What I was highlighting is that with a tiny tweak to the reward structure (adding in 400k reward) I'm sure the large majority of the playerbase would be pleased ... (for clarification ... I have Honey Bare immortalised already so to me she's 550 Honor at 400K, would she be there).

Furthermore ... I've also highlighted the fact previously that DB will have issues around doing re-runs of some of the old events that have more than 1 5* in their reward table (e.g. Endgame) ... what better way to deal with this than through the use of Flashback events, where the previous event can reward 1 of the 5*s (The Traveller) and the event itself can reward the other at 400k (Lieutenant Wesley Crusher) ...

So again, DB could have benefitted greatly from player insights here to deal with a number of issues (too many new crew, adding stars to old crew, no adequate time to take a breather, appeasing to the newer playerbase etc. etc. etc.).
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭

I can understand the logic (and am glad to know you understand how many forum-residents' minds work).

However, if you're going to be altering the threshold rewards for Flashbacks going forward, please consider adding the existing 5* as the final threshold reward as well. At worst, it's a free honor hit for people who already have her FF. For the rest of the playerbase, it gives us a chance to get the 5* if we were unable to rank high enough to get it in the previous event (straight Faction events are the only event type left that I can't rank top-1500, so I'm feeling this one).

Or put it back at 100,000 because that was a really cool thing DB did that everybody loved.
  • Options

I'm sorry but "change is inevitable" is con artist speak. Change happens sure, it can be good or bad and I'm sure most people here will agree that here you're serving us the bad version. You don't have to create new crew for the leaderboards in reruns and you can also an older card to the 400k threshold. You chose not to. You're making bad changes and if you want to call it nefarious that's up to you.

You could also use that opportunity to make improvements and come up with something that doesn't require us to be on our toes to know exactly what's going to happen in the coming week with half a dozen rewards structures that get changed on a whim.

Sorry to be harsh, you're just the PR person and that's your job, but that kind of PR speak is rather upsetting.

The only thing I find upsetting is the tone of your response and inference that Shan is con artist......poor form.

I think that last sentence made it clear Shan is not the one being called out, but rather the people telling her what to say. I remember an employee of a company that was tasked to Tweet info on a game that caught all kinds of heat because he was Tweeting what he was told to Tweet {and likely had no idea when he was told to Tweet that their game would be around "for years", that it was ending in a month, until it was announced.}
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    If new crew cost so much time/money to create, take a week off and instead of crew, give out legendary and super rare citations. People would be happy as clams.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just have like 10 flashbacks events in a row...that way you have more than 2 months of time to "improve on our tools"....then maybe alot of issues would be fixed and we could move on. Not sure how much "time" is being saved by running 2 flashback events in 2 months...... :)

I would be soooo onboard with this
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what entitlement culture looks like

The culture of seeing when good things are taken away from us? Sign me up!
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I understand why people are skeptical of the rationale being shared, since neither the re-run or flashback events are true repeats of the event 100% as it was.

Re-runs introduce a new 5* for the ranked reward and add the repeat 5* as a new threshold reward, while changing the ranked reward structure if needed (so top-1500 get the 5* reward).

Flashbacks introduce a new 5* for the ranked reward, while changing the ranked reward structure if needed (so top-1500 get the 5* reward).

Both repeat options still require changes to be made, so they aren't simple repeats that require no work. Sure, they require less work, but explaining why some changes are made and other changes aren't with a general "to free up developer time" statement seems a little arbitrary.

---

I have a better idea, to truly free-up developer time. The scenario is exactly like what we're facing right now - mega event ended last week, developers want a repeat event this week, with a new event looming next week.

Last week: instead of offering repeat 5* (Honey Bare) as ranked reward, offer the new 5* crew (Desert Archer) that will be featured in next week's event

This week: re-run the old event exactly as it was the first time, with repeat 5* (Honey Bare) for that event as the ranked reward in that event

That way the repeat event gets dropped in and has absolutely no bearing or influence on either the previous event or the following event, requiring absolutely no developer time. Last week and next week are linked as all new events are, as though the current week doesn't exist (it's a true repeat).