Home Ready Room

CAB (STT) Power Ratings Tool

(A) Traveling Man(A) Traveling Man ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Ready Room
Things have evolved quite a bit since the last time I edited this intro, and it is well overdue for a rewrite. If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

STTPowerRatings.com
v5 Update 2020-12-18

STT Power Ratings is a stat-and-trait-based rating tool that grades each crew on a set formula that considers stats, traits, arena abilities, collections, fusibility, and utility in cadet challenges to determine an overall “power level.”

Any changes to the formula will affect all crew - and will only be done if absolutely necessary.

New crew additions will be posted in this thread - but they won't mean much to you out-of-context if you aren't already familiar with the system. Please check out the site (linked above) and the description in this thread - and feel free to ask if you still have questions.

A core feature of this system is that it will not need to be rebalanced as new crew are released to account for stat creep or changing skill combinations. More powerful crew released will have higher ratings than older crew. If we suddenly get a wash of MED/ENG cards, existing ones won’t have their scores reduced to compensate. The top rating just increases with stat creep.

The formula for determining a rating is structured to produce a higher value for more overall utility, and not just give a high score for a crew that is particularly powerful in one small aspect of a category.

Each crew is rated in 3 categories:
  • Voyages (Vo): This rating considers all possible voyage pairs, combining Base and Average Proficiency. Each pair is totaled, weighting the Gold skill at .35, the Silver at .25, and the Tertiary at .1 (as a result, ENG/MED - for example - will have a different score than MED/ENG). All possible combinations are averaged, with extra weight given to the top two skill combinations. This result is then scaled down to the Power Rating.
  • Faction (Fa): This rating takes an average of the three bases, giving triple weight to the highest base and double weight to the second highest base. A bonus is given for crew that have an exceptionally high base score - the only two crew that have this bonus as of right now are Dr. ‘Bones’ McCoy and Captain Tribble.
  • Gauntlet (Ga): The Gauntlet rating looks at the Max Proficiency across all skills, and weights the top two skills in the final number. Traits are considered here – but in a generic fashion, since the selection of triplets seems to be unpublished and can change at any time without warning. Crew with a greater probability of possibly getting a 65% crit will see an increase in score.

These three scores are combined to produce an Overall (Ov) rating, evaluating a crew’s general overall power in the game. Excluding bonuses (see below), Ov is weighted .45/.35/.20 (Fa/Vo/Ga).

In addition to the Vo, Fa, and Ga scores, crew receive small bonuses to their Ov based on Collection Count (Co), number of Cadet Challenges the crew can be used in, if the crew can be Fused with a different crew, and if it has a Ship Ability that is particularly essential in one of the Arena Divisions (for example, Captain Killy’s 400% damage bonus ability at 6 seconds).

As with all such systems, this is just one way of looking at crew efficacy and should not be the only measure you use when deciding who to choose from a behold, who to cite, or who to pull out of the freezer.
CABTools.app
Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)

Comments

• Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    > Gauntlet - Traits are also not considered here

I would highly suggest re-looking into this. it's what separates out single use Gauntlet Crew like Antaak and Mirror Geordi La Forge from being instant-freeze candidates.
  • (A) Traveling Man(A) Traveling Man ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    > Gauntlet - Traits are also not considered here

I would highly suggest re-looking into this. it's what separates out single use Gauntlet Crew like Antaak and Mirror Geordi La Forge from being instant-freeze candidates.

This formula will evolve. For now - that would dramatically increase the data involved in the calculation for minimal reward right now. Also - "single-use" vs overall - this list favors the latter. You can always find that kind of "this crew is special for specific uses" in other tools. Both crew you mentioned (IMO) are rated "close enough overall" without the Traits being considered - another reason I didn't include it. That, of course, is totally subjective on my part.

May be something I look at later, I need more data to really come up with a useful way to incorporate that and have it be worth the time....
    CABTools.app
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I think this resource is wonderful! Well done, sir. I wish I had something like this years ago.
    I posted a thread about this tool last week in The Bridge. Thanks to everyone there who provided feedback. Refinements were made, all the crew were added, and the end result can be found here. I hope you find it useful:

STTPowerRatings.com
    v2.0 Update 2020-07-19

About the System

Another Timelines tool? Do I need this?

I think you do. Here’s why.

Crew comparison tools tend to come in one of two general types. There are the subjective tiering systems that are quite good at spotting a few great crew that you should get if you are ever given the chance to snatch them. Then there are the stat comparison tools, that throw all of the information out there for you so you can look at your own crew’s numbers and decide what you need.

These are both great, and necessary – but this does something slightly different (but equally valuable).

The CAB Power Ratings take each crew’s stats and passes them through a variety of formulas to determine how useful that crew is overall. It breaks down potential effectiveness in three categories: Voyages, Faction Missions, and the Gauntlet, and then combines those measures to produce an overall score.

Another core feature of this system is that it will not need to be rebalanced as new crew are released to account for stat creep or changing skill combinations. As crew get stronger, the power level numbers will go up. And if we suddenly get a wash of MED/ENG cards, we won’t have to start devaluing the existing ones to compensate.

What this tool doesn’t do:
    • Replace all of those other tools. I like the tiering systems like the Big Book of Behold Advice. You should continue to use them as well; they give you good information. This list also gives good – but different – information.
    • Consider things like rare skill combinations. Just because a crew has a common skillset doesn’t mean it isn’t otherwise outstanding overall. And a crew with the flavor-of-the-month skill combination may be good and very useful in some capacity, but how helpful is it outside that bucket?
    • Tell you exactly what you need in your crew quarters. I don’t know which crew you already have – if you need a specific skill to shore up your crew, you should be looking at the stats themselves to decide! I recommend also referencing other tools like the Star Trek Timelines Wiki, the Do Not Airlock Checklist, or the Big Book of Beholds to help evaluate the crew you have, and decide which skills you might need to shore up on.
    What this tool does do:
    • Gives you a sense of a crew’s overall effectiveness in a variety of situations. A high power rating means simply – “this crew has high stats overall, and you will probably use them a lot.” It will help you inform your decisions when you get a behold, or give you an idea of which crew you should equip next.
    • Helps you decide who to unfreeze for an event. We all have limited crew space, who to unfreeze? Multiply the Power Rating in the appropriate category by 3 for “big bonus” crew and 2 for “small bonus” crew, and see who is higher.
    • Allows you to directly compare crews of different rarities. You will notice that all of the crew are presented on the same scale, instead of starting with a new top-tier for each rarity. Obviously, in most cases, the Legendary crew will be higher than the Super Rare, but see just how far down that list “One-skill Scotty” is!
    What’s the formula?
    As I am sure you have guessed, a very complicated spreadsheet is involved – so I am not just going to “post the formula.” I will, however, tell you what factors are considered:

Voyages
    The formula considers the frequency that various dilemmas appear on a Voyage, and weights the skill levels (Base and Average Proficiency) accordingly. So the primary skill in a given voyage pair will count for 35%, and the secondary will count as 25%. The remaining skills account cumulatively for 40%. The top two possible pairings for each crew are weighted in a final score that considers all possible pairings – producing high results both for crews that are extremely good with one pairing, and also crew that are solid in a lot of different pairings. Traits are not considered in this metric – primarily because the bonus given for matching a specific trait when it comes up is so low that it would not really change the final power rating, even if it came up almost all the time.

Shuttle Missions
    This metric breaks down how each crew’s stats compare on the various skill slots. One-skill slots use the base skill. OR slots use the higher of the two presented skills. AND slots uses the total of the higher base and ¼ of the lower base. These possible scores are compiled, giving weight to a crew’s best possible shuttle slot while considering the overall strength of the crew in any slot.

Gauntlet
    The Gauntlet is very straightforward. That figure looks at the Max Proficiency across all skills, and weights the top two skills in the final number. Traits are also not considered here – the bonuses are significant, but since the game interestingly seems to pick traits of those crew that already would perform well in the gauntlet without them, their inclusion doesn’t really change the final score.

Overall and Bonuses
    The overall score considers a couple of bonuses:
    • Collection count: Completing collections give you stat bonuses and make you stronger on the whole.
    • Cadet Challenges: Several Rare and Uncommon Crew can be used in several of the cadet challenges. Clearing those nodes is important long-term, so they get a small bonus for each qualification they meet.
    • Arena ability: A very few crew have an exceptional “game-changing” arena ability (Think Captain Killy). They get a small bonus for that.
    • Fusion: Crew that are used in a multi-crew fusion, like the Duras Sisters, get a small bonus. These cards are a part of a more powerful card, and are thus more desirable.

All three category scores are considered together with the bonuses to create an overall score.

Um ... all three (Voyage, Faction, Gauntlet) for the win. Love the math, too, as well as your directness. Rock on. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    I shall add this to the Tip & Guides thread soon.
    I shall add this to the Tip & Guides thread soon.

Fantastic. Thanks!
    CABTools.app
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    And we are looking at incorporating this into the DNA checklist.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • This is a nice bit of work and helps with deciding which crew have enough value to collect and cite. Well done 👍
    edited July 2020
    So the Power Ratings were originally developed as a tool for Squad Leaders in my fleet to help decide what crew to share for Faction Events. Later, it was also used for Captains to help decide which crew to take out of the freezer. It has grown quite a bit, but it is still useful for both of those things.

Here is the Power Ratings, adjusted for event bonuses, for the upcoming Faction Event: No Trouble at All:

No Trouble at All Power Ratings
    • Power Rating is adjusted for big and small event bonuses
    • Edward Larkin is not yet included - he will be added once I have his stats
    • The list is sorted by the fully-fused power rating
    • For Legendary crew, you can also see their power rating at various fusion levels. In future, this will be available for all crew.

I hope you find this useful!
    CABTools.app
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    So the Power Ratings were originally developed as a tool for Squad Leaders in my fleet to help decide what crew to share for Faction Events. Later, it was also used for Captains to help decide which crew to take out of the freezer. It has grown quite a bit, but it is still useful for both of those things.

Here is the Power Ratings, adjusted for event bonuses, for the upcoming Faction Event: No Trouble at All:

No Trouble at All Power Ratings
    • Power Rating is adjusted for big and small event bonuses
    • Edward Larkin is not yet included - he will be added once I have his stats
    • The list is sorted by the fully-fused power rating
    • For Legendary crew, you can also see their power rating at various fusion levels. In future, this will be available for all crew.

I hope you find this useful!

I definitely found it useful, as it highlighted a card I could FF for immediate impact next week. Not everyone will have a citation to spare, though, but your rankings helped me to distill down to what matters. This is wonderful, and I thank you again for all of your work, @(A) Traveling Man .

Live long and prosper.
    P.S.: @Prime Lorca [10FH] was right elsewhere about Forum “etiquette”: Your handle makes it difficult to give you a shout-out whence deserved. It’s the space that does it, but then, you want space, right? 😉

P.P.S: @Dirk Gunderson could give us all a refresher course on how this works, IFF he has the time & inclination.

P.P.P.S: Thanks, @Prime Lorca [10FH] . 👍
    Sorry, back to the power ratings!
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    edited August 2020
    I pushed out "Version 3" of the system today. No formula changes, but this update will allow for easier error correction and updates.

There are brand new filtering features as well. Namely:
    • Search Field: You can enter any crew name, character version, trait, or collection, and get a list of matching crew to compare.
    • Compare Crew: You can select a number of specific crew to directly compare (Beholds?).
    • Data on Mobile: On the previous version, Power Ratings for Voyages, Faction, and Gauntlet were hidden for better presentation. They are still hidden - but if you expand a specific crew on the list (click the plus), you can see those stats now.
    • Number of Rows to Display: Self-explanatory - you can now set this.
    • Min-Max Range: At the bottom of the table, you can see the range of ratings for the included crew, to get a better idea of scale.

I hope you find these changes to be an improvement! The upgrade will also allow easier implementation of some other way-off-in-the-weeds stat analysis features in the future.
    CABTools.app
    Capitoline Wolf Mega Power Ratings

So you can start unfreezing crew. Faction Ratings are weighted - small bonuses to all of the listed ENT crew from Shan's announcement. Non-bonus crew is also included for comparison.

Weighted Faction Ratings are available for non-FF crew as well. Expand each crew to see those ratings if viewing on mobile devices.

Overall Ratings are not weighted, since the Voyage and Gauntlet components of that score are irrelevant for events. They are included for comparison.
    CABTools.app
    Another edit to the functionality -
    • Images are back
    • Links to the wiki pages are added
    • Collection Count is back

Thanks for the feedback. The event page is not updated with these features yet. That will likely come at some point soon.
    CABTools.app
    Added a page for the upcoming Plateau of Tomorrow Event Ratings.

https://sttpowerratings.com/plateau-of-tomorrow-power-ratings/

Also - an error that was causing the tables to fail to load has been resolved. Sorry if that caused anyone any issues.
    CABTools.app
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was skimming through the ranks and was surprised to see RPC above Killy. Guessing the voyage totals bump him up.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was skimming through the ranks and was surprised to see RPC above Killy. Guessing the voyage totals bump him up.

I believe so. CAB power ratings factor voyage total, but not event counts or skill combo rarity. BBBA places Killy higher for Mirror and Discovery events.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Great to have another tool, Well done!
    Might I suggest you offer an option to toggle/enable "Dark Mode". Thanks
    Great to have another tool, Well done!
    Might I suggest you offer an option to toggle/enable "Dark Mode". Thanks

I'll look at it! That, or I'll apply some kind of background to make it darker. That's a fairly major functional change, so it will take some time.

@Prime Lorca [10FH] 's analysis was spot on. Skill combos and Event Count are occasionally interesting metrics, but I don't think they should always be included (and sometimes, they are weighted too heavily). This is more focused on overall, day-to-day use as opposed to "occasionally much, much better." Which is why you have different tools - different looks!

I think the best answer to Killy vs. RPC is either "Yes" or "Both."

CABTools.app
    edited September 2020
    The list is updated weekly - not sure if posting every time I add crew is a good idea (so I haven't. If I am wrong, please let me know!)

So the list is current, including Nona and Riker from this week.

New page with the crew ratings for the Faction Event this week:

Mistress of the Mirror (flashback) Faction Event Power Ratings

There will be a major update when (and if) they release that Mirror Collection - the table is ready for it, just need the crew to mark off. That will be up pretty quickly once the release happens. I expect some minor increases to the ratings of all of the Mirror crew, but it shouldn't be too extreme.
    CABTools.app
  • I do not want to make a habit of editing "the formula" for the Power Ratings, but there are a couple of major issues that needed to be addressed. I don't know if it will be this week or next, but there is going to be a little rebalancing to address the following issues:

1. Bones McCoy. The list won't arbitrarily give any crew a bonus just because, but his ridiculously high MED base exposes a weakness in the formula. An adjustment will be made to account for crew like him that have the potential to dominate a skill slot like that. His Fa should be much higher.
    2. Gauntlet. The formula will be adjusted to consider traits. This has resulted in a couple of crew moving up a bit.
    3. Some formula simplifications that shouldn't have any impact on final scoring.

I'll announce it when it happens, but I did want you to be aware that some requested improvements were coming soon.
    CABTools.app
    Etana Jol gets a 65% gauntlet after a server update but I doubt that would move her up.
    edited September 2020
    Maybe they added her trio to the list? No idea. I still am having a hard time definitively finding the list of used traits...

CABTools.app
    She's gotten 65% for a while now, there's a few other triplets that give 65% bonuses to crew you would not expect.
  • v4.0 Rollout:

I've made some updates, including some formula changes. Here are the things you may notice:
    1. Traits have been added as a factor in determining the Gauntlet Rating. Still not a lot of movement, but that was a popular request. This is still not perfect, but it is better than it was. I will update this part of the formula if I can get some evergreen data on trait selection that is more than just a "these crew get a bonus" in nature.
    2. Formulas were simplified all around, resulting in different "current" max scores. Current top scores in Fa, Vo, and Ga ratings are between 16 and 17. Current top Ov score sits at exactly 15. Since the formula simplification, you won't see an Ov score match the top category scores unless they hit top marks in all three categories.
    3. Faction scoring has been adapted to account for the utility of a crew like Bones, with a ridiculously high base in a single skill.
    4. Expanded column view on tablets. You still need to expand each row on the phone if you want the additional scoring information, but it should appear on a tablet the same way it does on a PC. Not as much screen-size issues.
    CABTools.app
  • New page with the Power Ratings for the upcoming event:

The Daystrom Award (rerun)
    CABTools.app
    It’s always interesting looking at the rankings, I want to cite Annika but she doesn’t count for Borg events.
  • It’s always interesting looking at the rankings, I want to cite Annika but she doesn’t count for Borg events.

I always put very little value in "event count" personally. Granted, Annika isn't exactly a power crew, but I wouldn't make the lack of a Borg trait the deciding factor in not citing her!
    CABTools.app
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s always interesting looking at the rankings, I want to cite Annika but she doesn’t count for Borg events.

I always put very little value in "event count" personally. Granted, Annika isn't exactly a power crew, but I wouldn't make the lack of a Borg trait the deciding factor in not citing her!

I agree that event count concerns can be overblown, for two reasons:

1) There are plenty of main cast crew that have been largely ignored in events. Scotty has, what, two? Maybe three? In nearly five years of events. Scared Scotty, Dress Uniform Scotty, and Claymore Scotty are the only three variants that were event crew.

2) Variants really only make a dent in Faction events. They can be useful in Galaxy events if you didn’t get the 5* from the previous week, don’t have the existing 4*, or have no immortal non-bonus crew to fill in for the threshold 4*, but not very. And they aren’t necessary at all in Skirmish events; if you didn’t get the 5* from the previous week and don’t have the existing 4*, you’re only in need of a small bonus crew until you can get the first threshold 4*...which doesn’t take long.

Event count matters a little more for captains, given both the number of variants and number of events they enjoy. It also matters if a character gets featured heavily in Faction events, like Kirk - if he hasn’t exclusively been featured in Faction events, Kirk variants have been featured almost exclusively in them...and let me tell you, having a ton of Kirk variants, only two of which aren’t immortal (and those two are probably his weakest 5*s in Admiral Kirk and Kal-if-fee Kirk), has been really nice when those events come up.
  • That's a good analysis @Dirk Gunderson . I'd add to it that I also don't like to add a lot of value to a particular crew who is slightly better only occasionally. I far prefer consistent use day-in and day-out.

As you pointed out - Faction events are really where you see the most impact from event crew variants. But even then - since there are so many possible crew combinations in those events, it is rare that a single crew will make a huge impact, particularly once you get to a certain point.

I'll also agree that it seems to matter a little more for captains - absolutely. But those captains also have so many variants that if you don't have one, you are bound to have another. And again it really only matters for Faction events.

I know a lot of players look hard at event count - which is fine, of course. No one is playing this game because of what I think is important!
    CABTools.app
  • Power Ratings for the Faction portion of The Nobles Half have been posted.

https://sttpowerratings.com/the-noblest-half-power-ratings/
    CABTools.app
    edited October 2020
    https://sttpowerratings.com/

I've pushed out a new update, which includes a couple of new features

1. Back-end This is stuff you shouldn't see, but might result in increased load time. Please let me know if the site has slowed down significantly for you.
    2. New Filters I've added filtering by three new categories:
    1. Top Base: This will only display crew whose top Base is among the ones you selected.
    2. Top Combined: You will type this one in - it will only display crew whose top combined skill is the 3 letter abbreviation you selected.
    3. Top Voyage Pair: You will type this one in - it will only display crew whose top voyage pair is what you have typed in. "DIP/SEC" for example. Note: order matters here, as the rankings aren't calculated by simply adding the skills together. The first skill listed is treated as the primary, the second the secondary, and any other skill as the tertiary.

Hopefully you will find this useful!
    CABTools.app