Home The Bridge
Options

Worthless 1/5 star characters.

Comments

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tossed 3 5*'s. Soong, Gladiator McCoy and Lissan. McCoy does have some potential but I didn't want to clutter up my crew at that time and I had intended to tank out of that event anyways. I haven't tossed a 5* I've gotten from a pack yet.

Most 2 skill crew who aren't recurring characters aren't going to be great. I've gotten use out of some like Winn but that was only temporary. She's actually the only two skill crew on my roster that's like that. Even WillTraderScarWorf who's pretty weak crew is still moderately useful since Michael Dorn has had more Trek appearance than anyone.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    RikerWasNumber1RikerWasNumber1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Tcal wrote: »
    Yeah. Rule #3 of Star Trek Timelines: NEVER. AIRLOCK. DISCOVERY. CREW

Rule #4: if you do, don't admit it on the forums

Yeah this forum has a lot of discovery fans....its sad.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    I've tossed 3 5*'s. Soong, Gladiator McCoy and Lissan. McCoy does have some potential but I didn't want to clutter up my crew at that time and I had intended to tank out of that event anyways.

That potential you were talking about... ;)

3y5kr7o4e9rv.jpg

I just cited him up for his final star yesterday, and he is now my #1 base SEC, #2 combined SEC.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've come to a couple of conclusions:
    1. Any post asking for input quickly becomes a target for anger.
    2. This would be a non-issue if crew slots were not a premium.

I think the moral here is that perhaps collector card games should not also charge for slots?

And some don't and others do.... One thing that kinda sold me on MSF was no limits like that.
  • Options
    TcalTcal ✭✭✭

At this point it is less about fandom and more about facing the reality of the situation: Star Trek Discovery characters, particularly the 5*, are by far, the best characters in the game stat wise. You have: Culber (highest base MED, and in the top 15 base SCI), Tilly (top 5 base ENG, Top 5 combined ENG), Lorca (top 5 base + combined CMD) First Officer Burnham (Top 5 base + combined CMD, Top 10 base + combined SCI), Desert Georgiou (top 5 base DIP), Mudd (Top 5 base DIP, Top 10 combined DIP), and Ripper (Top 5 base and combined SEC).

To discard these characters you pull simply out of spite is shortsighted, if not petty. So do not be surprised when the community ostracizes those who toss out these characters irrationally. For many, it is the equivalent of tossing out the likes of Admiral Kirk, Gangster Spock, Xindi Insectoid Counselor, Chancellor Gowron, etc. While the majority of the community crosses their fingers in the mere hope to pull one of the best characters in the game. It is almost incomprehensible. That's just my take anyway.
  • Options

At this point it is less about fandom and more about facing the reality of the situation: Star Trek Discovery characters, particularly the 5*, are by far, the best characters in the game stat wise. You have: Culber (highest base MED, and in the top 15 base SCI), Tilly (top 5 base ENG, Top 5 combined ENG), Lorca (top 5 base + combined CMD) First Officer Burnham (Top 5 base + combined CMD, Top 10 base + combined SCI), Desert Georgiou (top 5 base DIP), Mudd (Top 5 base DIP, Top 10 combined DIP), and Ripper (Top 5 base and combined SEC).

To discard these characters you pull simply out of spite is shortsighted, if not petty. So do not be surprised when the community ostracizes those who toss out these characters irrationally. For many, it is the equivalent of tossing out the likes of Admiral Kirk, Gangster Spock, Xindi Insectoid Counselor, Chancellor Gowron, etc. While the majority of the community crosses their fingers in the mere hope to pull one of the best characters in the game. It is almost incomprehensible. That's just my take anyway.

I have so many immortalized 5* cards that I use them on voyages and all four shuttles and still have a few dozen to go on missions if I didn't warp them all. I have zero use for 4* cards and cryo them immediately as they are worthless to me. When I airlock a card on the basis that it's discovery is as trivial to me as airlocking a 1* card for a new player.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭

If they introduced Farscape cards into the game in the morning I would airlock them all no matter how good they were. Most people play the game because it's a Star Trek game, and the franchise is old enough and large enough that there are many types of fans. It is entirely rational not to care about elements of the franchise that weren't your favourites. The fact that DB (presumably at CBS insistence) has made Discovery cards so good, is because they understand that to do otherwise was to risk large scale dismissals of the characters.

DIscovery is not everyones cup of tea and if they want to airlock their Discovery cards, then more power to them. The fact that the cards are good is DBs (oft successful) attempt to stick us with them.

(I haven't ditched any Discovery cards, but I am happy to freeze the SRs as they become obsolete. The Legendaries definitely would be on my list if I had a valid choice where discarding a Legendary was rational. I have discarded dupes of Legendaries, but so far no non-dupe 1/5s, though the OP is correct, they often are a complete waste of space.)
  • Options
    [SFW] Quick Claude[SFW] Quick Claude ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Should I keep them or not? Is it time to start trashing fully equipped legendary characters, since many newer 4* are stronger? First world problems, right?

Examples: Frank Hollander and Bashir, Julian Bashir

Grilka has been worthless and I have her at 2/5*. I track which crew get used on my shuttlles, voyages, and gauntlet missions and she has yet to be used in any. I've had her fully equipped for about a year.
  • Options
    [STJ] Wendell[STJ] Wendell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    p6dlyllho67n.png
    iorn62t9sm0d.png
    Mordack wrote: »
    I have poor Captain Scott hanging around at 1/5. I levelled him when he was event crew, but he didn't even get much use during those four days. I can't bring myself to airlock a legendary crew, especially one I went to the trouble of fully equipping. but I can't see him ever serving a useful purpose.

Dude I’m in the same boat. Honestly i didn’t realize he was a 1 skill 5*. I didn’t even know those existed! But he is a arena beast once FF. If that ever happens. I never give him citations because he’s a 1 skill!
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    If they introduced Farscape cards into the game in the morning I would airlock them all

Eh they've been there before, D'Argo's good for like fifteen minutes, Noranti an hour if she's had the right potion beforehand, even John if he's got a gun to use as a thruster...

On topic, I have this never-airlock policy for any legendary, ever since I ditched a Protoworfosis because I was really hurting for crew space but regretted it ever since, but even the 1/5s can earn their keep. Fully equipped anyone getting an event bonus will be pulling shuttle duty easily - Suus Mahna Sarek at 1/5 has been my Security top dog this whole month with the Vulcan bonus, not counting the specific event crew - and even with no bonus, looking through my spreadsheet I'm seeing 700s and 800s for 1/5 crew, that's not bad.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to airlock Discovery crew then that's fine. More for us.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should I keep them or not? Is it time to start trashing fully equipped legendary characters, since many newer 4* are stronger? First world problems, right?

Examples: Frank Hollander and Bashir, Julian Bashir

No, you should not keep them. Yes, it is time to start trashing fully equipped legendary characters. Make sure you're clear on what your criteria for defining "worthless" is, make sure the crew members you want to dismiss meet that criteria, and then enjoy opening the slot for someone you don't consider worthless.
  • Options
    dunnaghdunnagh ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Dude I’m in the same boat. Honestly i didn’t realize he was a 1 skill 5*. I didn’t even know those existed! But he is a arena beast once FF. If that ever happens. I never give him citations because he’s a 1 skill!
    Dont want to spoil your day, but the gauntlet values dont Change when you add stars. So the one you see here is everything you will ever get from him in the gauntlet.

I dont airlock 1/5 Crew so I am SO GLAD I never pulled this Scotty...
  • Options
    MordackMordack ✭✭✭
    dunnagh wrote: »

Dont want to spoil your day, but the gauntlet values dont Change when you add stars. So the one you see here is everything you will ever get from him in the gauntlet.

Even in an engineering gauntlet I'm seldom use him because he only has the one skill. I picked him when I hadn't been playing long as I like the character, and for that same reason I'll never get rid of him. I wish I'd had a better understanding of the game when that behold came up, but there we go.
  • Options
    Even in an engineering gauntlet I'm seldom use him because he only has the one skill. I picked him when I hadn't been playing long as I like the character, and for that same reason I'll never get rid of him. I wish I'd had a better understanding of the game when that behold came up, but there we go.

Same here. My first legendary was Shinzon. Have no clue what else what in that behold, but I guess the others were better choices.
  • Options

If you're SO GLAD that you don't get bad characters, that's a sure fire revelation that you should airlock characters you don't like. Are you afraid you'll regret airlocking them? Even if DB somehow rehabilitates old crap legendaries, you can be assured that the space will still be valuable, and that time will have passed in which you were correct to do what you did. This 'regret aversion' is very costly for people.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    My impressions is Purple - yeah discovery characters are a bit convoluted at the top but for gold there are plenty of non discovery characters that are worth their salt and more.

The problem is length of time to earn stars on gold and slots (that's why they are devalued) because you have them less than a fifth of their potential, just take the stats and the way they creep up with each star you add only the most effective ones are at the 3 to 4 or 4 to 5 end, not adding the second or 3rd star.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    MordackMordack ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I've just been vaulting the Discovery characters. Except Graduation Burnham and that medical Admiral who are just too useful to pass up. I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I'm not about to airlock characters who can count toward collections and my immortalised achievement just out of spite.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think that it's ok to value Legendaries however you want. And therefore it is entirely fine to airlock whatever you want. Like Discovery but don't like TOS at all, airlock that Pike. Love TNG, but not a fan of Discovery, entirely reasonable to airlock Mudd. There are some people here that love Star Trek more than gaming and some who love gaming more than Star Trek and that is going to affect how they view certain cards too. So if you want to airlock that First Officer burnham, you go ahead, and more power to you. Plenty of people airlocked the non-canon mirror stuff too, and that's ok as well.
  • Options

I don’t remember Bringing up his gauntlet ability, but I am well aware or how proficiency works and he has literally never made into one of my gauntlets. The arena is the only place he shines that I’m aware of. I can certainly appreciate the card though. Part because I like Scotty, partly because the art is decent.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

True, but his arena skills will improve with additional stars. And I did use him in the gauntlet with some frequency until Mirror Geordi completely obsoleted him. Even with a 65% critical chance it would now be hard to justify burning a gauntlet spot on Scotty, and I find that quite sad because he is one of my absolute favorite Trek characters.
  • Options
    As suggested earlier, the obvious solution, making everyone happy, would be the ability to freeze fully equipped cards. Please, DB?!
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. My first legendary was Shinzon. Have no clue what else what in that behold, but I guess the others were better choices.

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks Shinzon is not that bad. I use him a decent bit in my voyages, I just wish he had his Romulan trait back >.>
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Many 1/5* are worthless because they are sitting 1/5* collecting protons ... until the game is shutdown.

Being top 1k in event and winning legendary crew is a blessing and a curse

Star Trek Discovery reflects the current culture shift and prob older ppl not gonna like them because they are less likely to accept new things. But they are still good series if you are open minded :)

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a game meant for fun. Play it however you want that is fun to you. That's all that matters. If you havent watched Discovery yet it seems silly to me to airlock them but if that is what you want to do, go for it. And if you have watched Discovery and dont like it feel free to airlock. I know I airlock all the Star Trek V people. Play the game however you want and dont let others make you feel bad for the way you play.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a game meant for fun. Play it however you want that is fun to you. That's all that matters. If you havent watched Discovery yet it seems silly to me to airlock them but if that is what you want to do, go for it. And if you have watched Discovery and dont like it feel free to airlock. I know I airlock all the Star Trek V people. Play the game however you want and dont let others make you feel bad for the way you play.

If you haven’t read it yet, give the Autobiography of James T. Kirk a shot. David A. Goodman did one simple thing that made The Final Frontier not so bad:
    The events in the film are actually themselves from a (poorly made) film from the planet 892-IV (from Bread and Circuses) about the crew of the Enterprise rather than actual events.