Home The Bridge

Macro Use is Alive and Well

[GoT] Unsober Shimoda[GoT] Unsober Shimoda ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in The Bridge
This event easily proves true the statement that "Macro use is alive and well in STT."

Disclosure: My fleetmates currently sit in 2nd and 3rd place, so this issue is hitting a bit closer to home that it would if the top-10 were just a bunch of rando names. Both of them have been hoarding their chrons since the last Skirmish.

But before you think of dismissing this as the sour grapes of the 2nd/3rd place captains' fleetmate, give some consideration to the existing evidence of the current leader's manipulative use of Macros, as well as the tacit endorsement of such an action...

The Hard Evidence
  1. Event Leader earned exactly 100k VP an hour for 48 hours straight.
  2. Event Leader did not log off at any time during those 48 hours.
  3. 48 hours into the event, or the Halfway Point, Event Leader had 4,354,900 VP (changeover to Phase 2). 24 hours after that, Event Leader has 6,714,700. The rate/pace of accumulation of VP remains nearly the same over the entire time period.

Image removed. ˜Shan

Consistent rate/pace of accumulation of VP indicates a precise sequence of actions. Human action/manipulation will have variances, such as the ability to complete more VP in a given timeframe, followed by a stretch of no VP or little VP. Basically, a macro is programmed to provide that precision whereas a human user manipulating the screen can press buttons faster (e.g. the 'Choose' button, then the 'Okay' button).

Circumstantial Evidence
    Comment removed. ˜Shan
    [*] I have not seen the "You've been playing Timelines for a long time. Take a break" message in what seems like at least 4-5 weeks. And the nature of my day job allows me to leave the app active/running for 9-10 straight, if I so choose... But nothing from the game to tell me that I need to take a break... The absence of that feature sure makes using a Macro a helluva lot easier.

I love playing this game because I love Star Trek. It is beyond frustrating to see players try as hard as they can to finish 1st only to be stymied by the use of a computer program/command that is designed to do more than they can do.

I wish DB would take the use of Macros seriously and actively undertake actions designed to reign in and, ultimately, eliminate their use. If that doesn't happen, then "competitive balance" as it relates to Star Trek Timelines is non-existent.

Thank you for your time...

Please avoid naming other fleets/players when posting on our forums. Thanks ˜Shan
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer

Comments

• [7TW] Manawar[7TW] Manawar ✭✭
      edited September 2018
      LoL, great minds think alike! Fully support your thread! DB, level the playing field, stop the use of Macro's!!!
    • edited September 2018
      Agreed, and I've watched this guy climb steadily and pass you and your fleetmates. I too leave my game "running" so I can pick up where I left off at so I will also confirm that I haven't seen the anti-macro pop-up since last weeks event and then only once.
    • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
      I pretty much assume that half the top 50 is using macros, especially if you don’t want to be obvious, you can turn it on for 18 hours, stop it for 6 to sleep.
    • wnh7eodslbnk.gif

Either DB effectively ends the use of macros or its increasing use by players will end the game.
      The Guardians of Tomorrow
      Protecting the Galaxy's Future from Itself
      Fleet Admiral

For more info on us, check our wiki page:
      https://sttwiki.org/wiki/Fleet_Guardians_of_Tomorrow

GoT Bot server: https://discord.gg/R8QzpjW
      All are welcome to join and use the Bot.
    • I highly doubt DB will put any resources into fixing the problem, Best we can hope for is a redesign.
    • I have not seen the "You've been playing Timelines for a long time. Take a break" message in what seems like at least 4-5 weeks. And the nature of my day job allows me to leave the app active/running for 9-10 straight, if I so choose... But nothing from the game to tell me that I need to take a break... The absence of that feature sure makes using a Macro a helluva lot easier.

I actually received the "Please confirm you're not trapped on the Holodeck" message for the first time in forever yesterday. Maybe DB has taken note...?
      Lt. Dyer
      Squadron Birmingham
      Fleet U.S.S. Alabama
    • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
      Dyer wrote: »
      I have not seen the "You've been playing Timelines for a long time. Take a break" message in what seems like at least 4-5 weeks. And the nature of my day job allows me to leave the app active/running for 9-10 straight, if I so choose... But nothing from the game to tell me that I need to take a break... The absence of that feature sure makes using a Macro a helluva lot easier.

I actually received the "Please confirm you're not trapped on the Holodeck" message for the first time in forever yesterday. Maybe DB has taken note...?

Can you recall if you had left the game running in the background and in between skirmish rounds? That’s the only time I ever got one in a Skirmish on the last event.
    • I assume @Shan is aware of this, and I dont expect an immediate response, but we need something at this point.
      Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
      PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
    • Disclaimer: I don't use macro to keep my sanity...

This is easily done if you play on PC via facebook, steam, or any android simulator.

You can easily create available free program out there to create the macro - Even non programmer can do this easily these days once they setup the basic

Of course there are ways for company to prevent these but .... many software companies use this to automate their internal testing. And making this more difficult for players also mean making it difficult for themselves.

Maybe instead of fighting it... players should join them.
    • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
      If I went for a first place run and someone using a macro won I would be super P|$$ED! I’ve played for long stretches and have never once got the anti-macro message. Not when it started and not now
    • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited September 2018
      How do we know all the top players are not all using macros? You say that you know the people in 2nd and 3rd. How are they themselves getting so many points? What methods are they using to play that much and get so many points? If we knew how they were getting their points maybe we could then see better if the top person is cheating or not. How do all the people in the top 25 not have carpal tunnel by now? So much clicking is involved in skirmishes. It is possible the top person is using a macro if the points go up for them at the same amount every hour. What if a person has others helping and running the account too? Is that against the tos? I think it is a big stretch though to say that Captain Me (Orcas Recruiting) spells "macro."
      Let’s fly!
    • I hate to judge anyone or anything without hard evidence but simple math says that event leader is consistently making approximately 1500 VP per minute in last 27 hours.
      Assuming that macro is not used (which is highly unlikely), I'm not sure should I admire him for such dedication or feel sorry for him for having no life (or sleep or food) at all.
    • There are a number of fleets calling for their players to stand against and not use macros.

That is the case for Guardians of Tomorrow as well. Any member found to be using Macros would be immediately dismissed from the fleet.

Same goes for „Starship Trista“.
      •SSR Delta Flyers•
    • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
      My fleet has no thoughts or policies on macros, simply because while full capacity, we aren't a fleet which makes higher than 200 fleet rank or so. Some of our members (myself included) have made the top 1000, but I don't know if any of us have broken the top 400.
      Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
      Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
      Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
      Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
    • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
      It’s also possible this guy is sharing the account. Three people could take 8 hour shifts, four people could take 6 hour shifts...
    • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
      Banjo1012 wrote: »
      It’s also possible this guy is sharing the account. Three people could take 8 hour shifts, four people could take 6 hour shifts...

Which would also be against the TOS. And perhaps easy to spot if DB looked at the IP addresses and rough location of logins into that single account.
    • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
      I am not saying whether people are using or not using macros, cause honestly I don't know for a fact.
      However that being said, I disagree with some of the original post, I have seen the AFK message at least 6-8 times since the start of this event, whether or not that is enough to discourage macro use I couldnt say, but DB has taken actions to prevent it.
    • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
      edited September 2018
      Banjo1012 wrote: »

Which would also be against the TOS. And perhaps easy to spot if DB looked at the IP addresses and rough location of logins into that single account.

how would you be able to tell the difference, between multiple users and people using different mediums to access their accounts? aka work computers, tablets, phones, pcs, they may all have different ip addys. Also, unless we sign a waiver, that might be some violation of privacy law or something.
    • Banjo1012 wrote: »

Unlikely because of the exact number of vp points (100k) they were getting per hour over 48 hours. If the account was being shared, you would see different amounts of vp being earned per player shift. Different players would play at different speeds, need more or less breaks, etc.
      The Guardians of Tomorrow
      Protecting the Galaxy's Future from Itself
      Fleet Admiral

For more info on us, check our wiki page:
      https://sttwiki.org/wiki/Fleet_Guardians_of_Tomorrow

GoT Bot server: https://discord.gg/R8QzpjW
      All are welcome to join and use the Bot.
    • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited September 2018
      Regardless of whether or not anyone is using a macro in the current event, what bothers me is DB’s apparent lack of committment to their own declared course of action. It literally feels like a bad joke. We saw those “macro breaks” for what, a week at best, (unrest quieted down some), and then... nothing. It clearly isn’t a priority. I have purposely left my game open and running when not in use, and guess what, no “macro break” since that first few days. If what you initially did wasn’t effective, then you find a different way... People may not believe what you say, but they will believe what you do. What are you going to do DB? Or, will it be more of the same speech?
      “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
    • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
      Task Force April is also completely opposed to macros, sharing, or any form of cheating.
    • Warby wrote: »
      Nothing short of an outright permanent ban on the offender, a first position chievo, restitution on the event rewards for the true winner, an apology, a public explanation, and an effective countermeasure, will resolve this issue for me.

Shameful.

“Crucifixion’s too good for ‘em” I believe someone once said.

Agreed - but I suspect if someone digs into it, they will find that it's probably some 17-year-old Kid, that is doing it for just for fun, or perhaps a summer project . . . and he'll be a F2P player as well.
    This discussion has been closed.