Home The Bridge

Macro Use is Alive and Well

Comments

• Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm ranking in the top 50, I'm tracking my battles so I know I've played exactly 425 skirmish sets.

I have not seen one single pop up in the entire event.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    [GoT] Gabe wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    First place dude is still going strong. Still steady climbing. Wouldn’t it stop if you ran out of resources?

It would but chrons are easily attainable nowadays so anyone, macro user or not, making a run for the top spots would (should) be smart enough to stockpile enough for the 4 days.

That’s a holy helluva lot of chrons. And if he were getting chrons through the extra rewards that’s a holy helluva lot of dilithium

lol .... A while ago you and I battled for top spots in the Operation: Earth Event (Mirror Mega) and I had 90 00 chrons saved for that occasion so I'm assuming you had quite a bit yourself.

For a Skirmish you don't need nearly as much.

- assuming 3 minutes per round that is 20 skirmishes per hour
    - 20 skirmishes = 24 000 intel needed per hour
    - running ship missions that cost 24 chrons and provide 2400 intel you would only need to run 10 missions to get the amount required
    - 10 missions per hour = 240 chrons
    - 240 chrons x 96 hours = 23 040 chrons.

And that total doesn't include extra chrons that you get from the loot boxes or voyages that come in during the 4 days. Plus, and most importantly, it's assuming you're playing 96 hours straight. Since humans can't do that, a real person would need a lot less than 23 000 chrons.

I appreciate the effort to show the maths behind this, but I think you made a couple of mistakes;

- The ship missions drop intel at a rate of 40 per 3 chron invested (when using a supply kit). A Skirmish round costs 1200 intel, equating to 90 chron.

- You mentioned running 20 skirmishes an hour, which seems reasonable, but then in your calculations you only did 10 an hour.

If we stick with 20 skirmishes an hour, the true cost per hour is 1800 chron. This equates to 172,800 chron over the 96hr event. This would earn about 11,500,000 VP over the 96hrs, before any bonus VP drops.

This doesn’t take into account the chron returns or intel drops from the rewards. Or the small quantity of cheaper skirmishes at the start of each phase.

My feeling is starting with maybe half of the total required for the 4 days might be enough. Ie about 85,000. Once that’s all spent one would probably have earned back about 50,000, which then if reinvested would earn back another 30,000, then 18,000, etc etc. Adding that all up and we’re over our estimate of 172,800 for the whole weekend and only needed 3 quick (2/3 minute?) pit stops to convert the chrons into intel.

So 85,000 chron is quite a bit over my initial estimate of 20/30K earlier in the thread, but not an impossible amount either.

I really hate that this cheating appears to be ‘being allowed’ to continue. When DB first announced they were looking at ways to detect and prevent macro’s, I was absolutely shocked that there was nothing in place already. Announcing that there wasn’t, and introducing a ‘you’ve been playing a long time’ popup (which doesn’t seem to work) almost seems to have been an open invitation to give macros a go. In short - DB have made it worse, not better.
  • So, a couple of suggestions to limit the scope for cheating:

1. At the start of a skirmish event, give each player eight "open skirmish event" tickets which last 7 hours each and absolutely no options for getting any more. Skirmishes could only be carried out whilst an "open skirmish event" ticket was still open. You can still require intel for individual rounds but limiting play to 56 hours of the four days would make it more feasible for dedicated legitimate players to keep up with any that might be sharing accounts or using macros. And anyone who somehow managed to play for more than 56 hours would clearly be cheating.

2. Randomly choose which ships you battle. I think there are 120 different orders that you can have 5 ships in. Have the programme randomly choose from the 120 different combinations so everyone is fighting the same ships but in a random order. Add in a very short but random delay after each battle before the next one starts.

Neither of these would completely end the scope for cheating but it would at least limit the impact - especially if combined with other controls.
    Flay wrote: »
    What is it that makes you so sure that this one guy is running a bot and the others aren't?

I’m not sure who your question was aimed at. Personally I’m not pointing my finger at just the number 1 spot. There could be a very small quantity of players doing this, there could be a very large quantity. I don’t know and that’s not what is important.

What is important is that there’s plenty of evidence around to show that it is happening and so it needs to be addressed by DB.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright everybody back off. From 8:30 to now 8:42 the leaders score hasn’t changed. What more non-macro proof do you want?
  • This is the only other culprit besides macros IMO owtmira6vll7.jpg
  • C'mon DB, macroing is a game breaker. If you want to keep having customers, this needs to be combated. No customers, no job. Simple.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • So DB promised us that they were going to address this and actively combat it. I guess the toolbox had "Wish the problem goes away on it own" and not much else. Many people shared privately and publicly that this is what they expected would happen.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    So DB promised us that they were going to address this and actively combat it. I guess the toolbox had "Wish the problem goes away on it own" and not much else. Many people shared privately and publicly that this is what they expected would happen.

In fairness, it isn't exactly a trivial problem to solve. The best ways to combat macroing are all pretty time consuming to develop.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I skirmished non-stop for 6 straight hours last night and was never once received that pop up asking if I needed a break.
  • Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    AviTrek wrote: »
    So DB promised us that they were going to address this and actively combat it. I guess the toolbox had "Wish the problem goes away on it own" and not much else. Many people shared privately and publicly that this is what they expected would happen.

In fairness, it isn't exactly a trivial problem to solve. The best ways to combat macroing are all pretty time consuming to develop.

If instead of trying to stop macros they design events that can't be macro'd they get a 2 for 1 of stopping macros and making the events more enjoyable to play.

anything can be macro'd that is the problem it is just a matter of coding and even after they move more anti-macro i suspect it will be prevalent to a degree as it always is in any game that has a grind
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neos472 wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »

If instead of trying to stop macros they design events that can't be macro'd they get a 2 for 1 of stopping macros and making the events more enjoyable to play.

anything can be macro'd that is the problem it is just a matter of coding and even after they move more anti-macro i suspect it will be prevalent to a degree as it always is in any game that has a grind

Well sure, anything can be macro'd to the extent that you could write an AI to play the game. But by the time you got OCRing traits and then OCRing crew selection to find crew with the right trait, you've probably past the point of diminishing returns where it's not worth writing the macro.

That's why my desired change to Skirmish events would involve RNG selecting ships/traits so it's different every time, traits providing significant skill boosts, and battles getting much harder so you need to select crew matching those traits to keep winning. Once you turn skirmish events from a grind to a strategic selection of crew for each battle, you've killed the macro and built an event that is more enjoyable for humans to play.
  • I hate to judge anyone or anything without hard evidence but simple math says that event leader is consistently making approximately 1500 VP per minute in last 27 hours.
    Assuming that macro is not used (which is highly unlikely), I'm not sure should I admire him for such dedication or feel sorry for him for having no life (or sleep or food) at all.

Manually I was scoring 6k every 90s so 4k per minute.
  • [GoT] Gabe wrote: »
    First place dude is still going strong. Still steady climbing. Wouldn’t it stop if you ran out of resources?

It would but chrons are easily attainable nowadays so anyone, macro user or not, making a run for the top spots would (should) be smart enough to stockpile enough for the 4 days.

That’s a holy helluva lot of chrons. And if he were getting chrons through the extra rewards that’s a holy helluva lot of dilithium

lol .... A while ago you and I battled for top spots in the Operation: Earth Event (Mirror Mega) and I had 90 00 chrons saved for that occasion so I'm assuming you had quite a bit yourself.

- running ship missions that cost 24 chrons and provide 2400 intel you would only need to run 10 missions to get the amount required

And that total doesn't include extra chrons that you get from the loot boxes or voyages that come in during the 4 days. Plus, and most importantly, it's assuming you're playing 96 hours straight. Since humans can't do that, a real person would need a lot less than 23 000 chrons.

It took me between 8-12s per battle so 5 battles at 10s average = 50s so say 1minute.

Therefore 60 skirmishes per hour = 72k intel per hour
    100x24chroniton missions = 72k

96hrs x 2400 chonitons = 230k chronitons
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CB4_V'ger wrote: »

It took me between 8-12s per battle so 5 battles at 10s average = 50s so say 1minute.

Therefore 60 skirmishes per hour = 72k intel per hour
    100x24chroniton missions = 72k

96hrs x 2400 chonitons = 230k chronitons

Seriously, if you believe that why don’t you actually try fhat for an hour and post a timestamped screenshot of yourself on the leaderboard at the start and end (similar to the below)

If you are winning each battle in 6-7 seconds it still takes 2:10 to finish a skirmish because of all the animations at the start and end of the battle. That equates to 27 skirmishes per hour or 164k per hour with no loot boxes.

Here is an example of an hour with 169k (the extra few thousand from loot boxes as this included buying a some of the 10 dil boxes too)

irck8mq430qh.jpeg
    l31hds67t869.jpeg

• Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to judge anyone or anything without hard evidence but simple math says that event leader is consistently making approximately 1500 VP per minute in last 27 hours.
    Assuming that macro is not used (which is highly unlikely), I'm not sure should I admire him for such dedication or feel sorry for him for having no life (or sleep or food) at all.

I struggle to see how that is possible as 90s seemed to be less than the animation and load time in my case.

I was taking around 3 minutes with each ship dying in seconds. If someone could do it twice as fast they have a major advantage
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I share everyone's consternation with and opposition to the use of macros. Just thought I would report that the "you've been playing a long time, prove to us you're human" popup did appear for me for the first time during the course of this event. I'd stayed signed in overnight, apparently -- although I wasn't accruing any points during that time as I was asleep -- because it popped up as soon as I opened my device (can't remember now if it was the ipad or iphone as I alternate between the two) in the morning. Finished rank 857.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Some math around what sort of chrons we're talking about here:
    hsyix1kuaz9n.png

141k chrons is certainly a large number, but consider that even F2P players have been able to bring similar looking amounts into galaxy events. Someone paying extra for voyage extensions and MWF cadets can bank them even faster.

This also doesn't include re-investment of chrons. If memory serves, you see a return of about 62% of chrons while running a kit. Re-investing them will, also, return ~62%. The math (eventually) works out to 100 chrons being worth, on average, 263 chrons. that factor (2.63) means that you "only" need to bring in about 54k chronotons to the event (a more reasonable number).

Now, running constantly 24/7 is another matter entirely. I think the main problems here are:
    1) It takes too long to exhaust one's intel. If you bring in a sufficiently large number of chronotons, it is not humanly possible to actually exhaust all of the intel it is generates. For my own sanity this event, I actually skipped all of the 5th missions, since all I really care about are the "other" rewards and not the actual character.

This ends up being a combination of mission animations are too long, intel costs are too low (or chron exchange rate is too high), and/or chron return rates are too high. All of these are contributors to the above problem and I think all should be addressed in some manner for balance.

2) The missions themselves are too predictable. It is very easy to automate.

In a lot of ways, these missions are the same as a galaxy event that has a 3min cooldown to build a recipe. It's feasible to macro galaxies, but it takes more chrons to get to the point that it is literally taking all of your waking hours to achieve it. Due to the much lower chron threshold to "max out" a skirmish, it becomes a battle of who can either stay awake the longest or write the most efficient/accurate macro.

Excellent brainwaves again Peachtree! Thx for the math and breakdown. So it is a micro at work is it not? You concur?
    edited September 2018
    Hunter247 wrote: »
    I hate to judge anyone or anything without hard evidence but simple math says that event leader is consistently making approximately 1500 VP per minute in last 27 hours.

I struggle to see how that is possible as 90s seemed to be less than the animation and load time in my case.

I was taking around 3 minutes with each ship dying in seconds. If someone could do it twice as fast they have a major advantage

I managed to film a 2:12 start to completion. And that was with battle times of 8, 8, 8, 5, 6 (total of 35 seconds). And that included beginning from the last user confirmation screen. So even if you managed to finish each battle in 1 second (which seems rediculous), that would be 1:42.

So yeah, I agree with you.
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »

I managed to film a 2:12 start to completion. And that was with battle times of 8, 8, 8, 5, 6 (total of 35 seconds). And that included beginning from the last user confirmation screen. So even if you managed to finish each battle in 1 second (which seems rediculous), that would be 1:42.

So yeah, I agree with you.

I had a few runs where I did better (and a few where I did worse) so a 3 minute was a fair average in my case. 2:12 for a best is impressive! What did you use?
  • Speaking as someone who spent 4 days grinding away for this event, any unfair advantage should result in a ban for that person.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some math around what sort of chrons we're talking about here:
    hsyix1kuaz9n.png

141k chrons is certainly a large number, but consider that even F2P players have been able to bring similar looking amounts into galaxy events. Someone paying extra for voyage extensions and MWF cadets can bank them even faster.

This also doesn't include re-investment of chrons. If memory serves, you see a return of about 62% of chrons while running a kit. Re-investing them will, also, return ~62%. The math (eventually) works out to 100 chrons being worth, on average, 263 chrons. that factor (2.63) means that you "only" need to bring in about 54k chronotons to the event (a more reasonable number).

Now, running constantly 24/7 is another matter entirely. I think the main problems here are:
    1) It takes too long to exhaust one's intel. If you bring in a sufficiently large number of chronotons, it is not humanly possible to actually exhaust all of the intel it is generates. For my own sanity this event, I actually skipped all of the 5th missions, since all I really care about are the "other" rewards and not the actual character.

This ends up being a combination of mission animations are too long, intel costs are too low (or chron exchange rate is too high), and/or chron return rates are too high. All of these are contributors to the above problem and I think all should be addressed in some manner for balance.

2) The missions themselves are too predictable. It is very easy to automate.

In a lot of ways, these missions are the same as a galaxy event that has a 3min cooldown to build a recipe. It's feasible to macro galaxies, but it takes more chrons to get to the point that it is literally taking all of your waking hours to achieve it. Due to the much lower chron threshold to "max out" a skirmish, it becomes a battle of who can either stay awake the longest or write the most efficient/accurate macro.

Excellent brainwaves again Peachtree! Thx for the math and breakdown. So it is a micro at work is it not? You concur?

I didn't really present any evidence, just the chron numbers that you'd have to bring to bear to achieve such a result.

Barclay actually provided what I would call the best evidence so far. I don't think it's humanly possible to maintain that sort of performance over such a long period of time.
  • Shan wrote: »
    Letting you know that I brought this up to the team.

Yes, please keep us advised of their findings. And what course of action will be taken.
    Thx.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those who are saying your fleet would kick that person out if it was discovered someone was using a macro. Would you also turn them in to DB?

I haven’t seen anyone answer this

This discussion has been closed.