Home Engineering Room
Options

1,000 item inventory, is it ever going to be readdressed?

Shan, 14 months ago you indicated that the change to the inventory system was a first pass and that you (DB) needed to work on it more "to revisit and improve how overflow is surfaced to you, and how to handle it" yet as far as I know nothing has been changed or addressed. It seems like this has all slipped by the wayside and I'm wondering if we can expect any changes to this soon (either an actual overhaul or a better way to manage what we have)?

Comments

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have brought it up recently, I have no update at this time.
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a fleetmate lose legendary citations last night due to this issue.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they'll get them back via CS and without the BS @eXo | SilverRose had to go through.
  • Options
    IAmPicard actually is a lifesaver for that. It flags items that you probably don't need anymore in order to chuck in the replicator.

Support can also remove items for you, but be specific about what you want removed. One time I sent in a ticket asking if it was possible, and they deleted a bunch of 0* items that were actually useful in order to bring me back under. Then I had to go through explaining why that was bad and send a list in of what I actually wanted removed.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    IAmPicard actually is a lifesaver for that. It flags items that you probably don't need anymore in order to chuck in the replicator.

Are you sure? I just spent more than an hour checking manually items in my inventory (specifically looking for equipment for crew I already have immortalized), then writing them down and double-checking through IAmPicard that I really don't need them. I haven't noticed that the app flagged any of these items though.

Then I replicated some stuff using these items, checking again in final screen of replicator that I've put in correct items as many of them share the same image with others as well. I got rid of about 40 items this way.

This was very painful process which DB can rather easily automate or even just make it easier and more user-friendly.

It seems that inventory management is DB's weak spot as their other game Game of Thrones Ascent also had it horribly implemented (non-existent, actually) and on the end that was one of the main reasons why I stopped playing it.
  • Options
    Thorozar Thorozar ✭✭✭✭

I cannot find this option in the app. I do like the items screen there way better than in game, but nowhere do i see where it points out unique items you no longer need.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thorozar wrote: »

I cannot find this option in the app. I do like the items screen there way better than in game, but nowhere do i see where it points out unique items you no longer need.

See this post for details on how to do that in the app.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    The need to do another purge soon brought this back to mind again. Still needs a solution.
  • Options
    The best two solutions would be either the ability to "tag" items in the inventory so they light up in when you go to replicate it the ability to convert items to rations from the inventory control panel.

Likely easier then expanding the 1000 limit
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sitting around 750 items. I sure hope a better solution comes along before I need it. It would be nice to have something in the inventory screen to turn stuff into replicator rations or something. I could start using that before I come close to 1,000 items.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Galdran wrote: »
    On the subject of inventory, a "orphan item" filter would be nice.

Or even, just an ability to flag items, so that after you find an item that no longer benefits any crew or future crew, you can find it again and toss it in the replicator.

I was going to post almost the same idea.... it's really hard to find the items you don't need to put them in the replicator. Particularly since on the replicator screen, it doesn't tell you what something is and many items use the same image so you can't tell from the picture what it is. I am not real, real close to 1000 but I know I have a lot of junk that I don't need esp, from Dabo. At least it needs to sort out the stuff that are one card specific which would help a lot.
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding me to toss the one event SR into the replicator before I forgot. I wonder if I have any others just sitting there...
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the best solution would be for DB to fix this, preceeded by design it right the first time. There's no reason for an arbitrary limit that deletes "excess" items based on $rand.
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding me to toss the one event SR into the replicator before I forgot. I wonder if I have any others just sitting there...
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    I sit around 850 items always because I go thru two or three times a week and replicate using the junk items. For instance I only keep four and five star boosts except the three star time ones and I always get rid of schematics that I have for ships that are maxxed. It isn’t that much of a pain and I get to level my crew faster. Now if I was one of those who has all crew FE then it would be a big issue. (Un)fortunately I am a long way from having that “problem”. For the others it’s a matter of doing routine housekeeping regularly and it will never be an issue. It is one good thing about having high VIP, one can replicate 8 times a day.
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Galdran wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Thorozar wrote: »

See this post for details on how to do that in the app.

Yeah, i'll pass on installing some 3rd party application which asks for my username and password.

Please don't go on about how the coder has shared his code and can be trusted etc etc.

In my lifetime I have seen 2 "safe programs" later get spyware added, 1 "safe program" where the author tried to make a quick buck and even a computer store that sold all their secure credit card information over seas when they went bankrupt.

No, I'd rather that the authors implement these types of features and I don't have to go use some 3rd party program, that makes my account less secure.

I'm guessing those weren't open source. This is.

Plus, there have been regular players using this tool for over 6 months.

I understand your concerns — I shared your basic apprehension when I first heard of the tool. But there are some very smart people who've looked at the code, and DB has given it their blessing, so eventually I softened my stance. If you still don't want to do it, nobody is forcing you, but you're missing out, honestly. You could always try the web-based version, if you don't want to install anything.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wish you could see an items description from the replicator screen. That way one could tell if the legendary AOS Datas Uniform is worth keeping (I don't have AOS data).

I usually try to do a weekly purge, but really there has to be a better way of keeping track of what is useful.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    I really wish you could see an items description from the replicator screen. That way one could tell if the legendary AOS Datas Uniform is worth keeping (I don't have AOS data).

I usually try to do a weekly purge, but really there has to be a better way of keeping track of what is useful.

Jim

You can if you click the "toss this crap in the replicator" button but before you click the "no I don't need this crap" confirmation button. LMK if that's unclear and I'll post a screenshot.
  • Options
    Today another long time player got hit by this bug right in the.......

Just in time for faction event...all of his 3* and 4* time boosts are gone/deleted. :|

Not me, and no one in my fleet. Won t mention his name, cause i don t know if he would be cool with it, but just saying.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    That was me. And I’m pretty much hobbled in this one.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Now that I’m fully aware that this is a problem I’m force to dupe crew that have dupes already just to get rid of stuff. But the trouble with that is eight replications using random gold and four star items that have accumulated over past events do bring the number down very little. Then anything you do, such as cadets, just piles the stuff back in. I was at 1076/1000 when I became aware that all my Thursday cadet efforts for two weeks were just randomly thrown away. I used eight replications on a dupe. Brought it down to 1005/1000. Did two cadet missions. Back up to 1011/1000. I don’t see an end to this.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, I’m hovering around 850 items. Coming up on 2 years and 11 months here and I only really did one inventory purge using the replicator a couple months back, which took me from the high 800s to the high 700s. I’ve gotten to the point where I have slowed down on leveling crew but I don’t just hoard chrons, I just clear dailies for away missions and spam ship battles to amass holoemitters.

I don’t know what I’m doing differently but whatever it is must be working.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s really not hard to do a good replication purge. And it’s not hard to see what you haven’t used in years of playing the game. But I still say an honor machine would be great. I barely ever have use for the replicator. Because of this I have WAY more useless things than I could ever throw in the replicator. Back on subject though, there’s no reason to be anywhere near 1000 itemsv4ljc76zbkzb.png
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    It’s really not hard to do a good replication purge. And it’s not hard to see what you haven’t used in years of playing the game. But I still say an honor machine would be great. I barely ever have use for the replicator. Because of this I have WAY more useless things than I could ever throw in the replicator. Back on subject though, there’s no reason to be anywhere near 1000 items

I find purging unneeded items both tedious and time consuming. Any chance you'd share your process?
    Fleet: The United Federation of Pragmatists

Our mission: Active game play, without taking things too seriously. The only requirements are 1) Be Nice, and 2) Play regularly. ZERO chatting/social requirements - we’re mainly in it for the Squad, Fleet and Starbase Rewards.

We have a few openings left for like-minded Captains!