Home Engineering Room
Options

1,000 item inventory, is it ever going to be readdressed?

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible to do, but ever so cumbersome. It should not be that hard.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    It’s really not hard to do a good replication purge.
    I find purging unneeded items both tedious and time consuming. Any chance you'd share your process?

There's something I started doing, employing the method (courtesy of Amphistaff) outlined in my post just above. With that, I first go in to replicate something, and then starting with the highest-starred items first, I begin adding types of clothing/outfits to the replicator (obviously only ones that are single-amount items, not any with multiple amounts). My reasoning was that these are not only easy to spot but also very likely to be "specialty" items, meant for equipping one unique crew variant.

So, for example, right now I just went in and did that, and after filling it up to 100%, I then (using Amphistaff's method) noted the exact name of each item. The first item was "Michael Sullivan's Outfit" — since I don't own him yet, I don't want to use that as fuel, so I canceled out and removed that item, then added another one. After that there was "Tieran Possessed Kes's Outfit" — which I no longer need, so that can be dumped in there. The next item was "Saru's Uniform" — this I wouldn't use as fuel, since it could potentially be for any Saru variant in the future, so I might need it at some point. Cancel out again, remove that item, and add another, checking to see if it's needed, and then so on and so on, until I have filled up the replicator only with items that I'm certain are unneeded, then do the replication.

If you do this with larger-starred items, you of course don't need to use as many in a replication — so you don't end up having to do the "and so on, and so on" part too much — but you can still get rid of a half-dozen or more at a time. After I learned this trick, I was able to go from upper 900s to upper 800s in my total item count, with only a handful of replications.

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell, but I start with the 0 star items and work my way up. That way you can dump more items as it takes more of them to get to 100%. If I’ve been playing for over two years and only have one or a few of an item, chances are it’s useless. Not a fan of Ferengi, so anything Ferengi can go. That kind of approach. And Data is right with the clothing and outfits I don’t need any piece of clothing for someone I have no intention of getting or of someone I already have fully equipped. Any non-5* schematics can go. Once you get one 5* ship maxed there’s no use for any ship below that. These suggestions are good places to start. And really to comb through your equipment for a few replications only takes about 5 minutes

• Options
    I just wish that we could at least delete items without the need for the replicator. I get so many useless items, especially from event tresholds and dabo.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    I have brought it up recently, I have no update at this time.

It's been another month. Any update???
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find purging unneeded items both tedious and time consuming. Any chance you'd share your process?

There's something I started doing, employing the method (courtesy of Amphistaff) outlined in my post just above. With that, I first go in to replicate something, and then starting with the highest-starred items first, I begin adding types of clothing/outfits to the replicator (obviously only ones that are single-amount items, not any with multiple amounts). My reasoning was that these are not only easy to spot but also very likely to be "specialty" items, meant for equipping one unique crew variant.

So, for example, right now I just went in and did that, and after filling it up to 100%, I then (using Amphistaff's method) noted the exact name of each item. The first item was "Michael Sullivan's Outfit" — since I don't own him yet, I don't want to use that as fuel, so I canceled out and removed that item, then added another one. After that there was "Tieran Possessed Kes's Outfit" — which I no longer need, so that can be dumped in there. The next item was "Saru's Uniform" — this I wouldn't use as fuel, since it could potentially be for any Saru variant in the future, so I might need it at some point. Cancel out again, remove that item, and add another, checking to see if it's needed, and then so on and so on, until I have filled up the replicator only with items that I'm certain are unneeded, then do the replication.

If you do this with larger-starred items, you of course don't need to use as many in a replication — so you don't end up having to do the "and so on, and so on" part too much — but you can still get rid of a half-dozen or more at a time. After I learned this trick, I was able to go from upper 900s to upper 800s in my total item count, with only a handful of replications.

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell, but I start with the 0 star items and work my way up. That way you can dump more items as it takes more of them to get to 100%. If I’ve been playing for over two years and only have one or a few of an item, chances are it’s useless. Not a fan of Ferengi, so anything Ferengi can go. That kind of approach. And Data is right with the clothing and outfits I don’t need any piece of clothing for someone I have no intention of getting or of someone I already have fully equipped. Any non-5* schematics can go. Once you get one 5* ship maxed there’s no use for any ship below that. These suggestions are good places to start. And really to comb through your equipment for a few replications only takes about 5 minutes

Because those common items come back so quickly, it's a five-minute chore every day.

I've been spending about ten minutes a month on high-end item replicator cleansing (similar to Data1001's method above), and those extra items (say, for example, Apollo's Legendary Underwear from this week's event thresholds) are very unlikely to come back quickly, if ever.

I'm back up to 888 and haven't done any cleaning in over a month, but whenever it's convenient in the next couple of weeks I'll find ten minutes to knock out those items that stay gone.
  • Options

@Data1001 and @Banjo1012

Thanx for your input. My process has been more complex and may not need to be. I'm going to follow your process by starting with the replicator and see what I can easily find and where I end up. If this is enough to ease the pressure (I'm at 976 now) when needed then all will be good.

Cheers.
    Fleet: The United Federation of Pragmatists

Our mission: Active game play, without taking things too seriously. The only requirements are 1) Be Nice, and 2) Play regularly. ZERO chatting/social requirements - we’re mainly in it for the Squad, Fleet and Starbase Rewards.

We have a few openings left for like-minded Captains!
  • Options
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    I had a fleetmate lose legendary citations last night due to this issue.
    That’s unacceptable.
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    I have brought it up recently, I have no update at this time.

Bring it up again. I just spent 3 hours with the IAmPicard tool searching through my inventory for useless items to burn in the replicator. It brought me down to 930 items. I'll be back to 1000 by the end of the month.
  • Options
    Now passing 16 months since the "first pass" that was going to be worked on further.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is a moronic design issue. Completely lacking in any reason or foresight.

And DB has made it abundantly clear that they intend to keep it until the game shuts down.

Hopefully the the replicate function gets added to iampicard soon, but at least there's some mitigation with Amphi's demonstration.

Now if only you didn't have to play CS lottery when something went wrong and spend hours managing inventory to save yourself the risk of playing that lottery . . .
  • Options
    prety bad when we have to start ditching inventory just to make sure we don't loose needed items. i have all ready gone through my inventory 3 times since last month ditching items i dont need as replicator fuel. like the 1 or 2 left overs from galaxy events. etc...
    this issue isnt getting old, its making the STT galaxy look like a squalling child.
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • Options
    Would this be why I randomly lost 25 shuttle time boosters?
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    NS111111 wrote: »

If your inventory is around 1000, then yes, that is a distinct possibility.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    NS111111 wrote: »

Check the number in your inventory under settings, it could be.
    Something DB has been aware of for 3 years but hasn't addressed.

Well, they addressed it. Instead of not being able to get new items, now random item groups get deleted.
  • Options
    CS have confirmed that’ll be why. Say they’ll restore it at some point. Meanwhile I’m nearly 24 hours into the event and thanks to my time boosters being stolen and losing 6 hours to the server issue I’m sending out 2250 shuttles...
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on, its only been 14....errrr... 16 months, give them some time..... :wink::smirk: wow, some people have no patience at all..... :wink:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    NS111111NS111111 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Surely an easy way for DB to stop this being even worse is to make sure you can’t get pointless useless items you’ve already equipped on people in Dabo?
  • Options
    I really cannot see the problem. It takes me 10 minutes each month to bring me under 900 items by using the replicator.
    If you loose items because of the 1000 items limit, it is your own mistake and not a bad design.
  • Options
    What does it mean when it says 1031/1000 and how come I'm not losing items? o:)
  • Options
    Jassada wrote: »

Because it takes a while for you to lose items. But rest assured that you will lose items so don't be so happy.
  • Options
    Ice ManIce Man ✭✭✭
    I always wished there was a search function, so I could search for anything with "'s" (apostrophe-s) which is likely to be somebody's specialty item that I probably don't need.
  • Options
    Ice ManIce Man ✭✭✭
    It is bad design to have a limit on items lower than the total number of unique items that will ever be in the game. Say 100000.

It is particularly bad design to silently delete random items from a player's inventory, especially when one pays one way or another for a lot of them.
  • Options
    i think DB is using Original Windows 95
    big hole in the back of the program for things to fall out of.
    yeah, i made a habit of going through my inventory, and using for replicator fuel
    extra Galaxy Build left overs, beause they dont auto delete at the end of a galaxy event and
    also specific items of FF/FE crew i have, to clear them out.
    honestly, it shows either amateur or inept programmer ability.
    and i will admit, i am an amateur,
    even thoe my Excel and Access coding gives pros a head ache.
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • Options
    And once again today I run into someone who knew nothing about this until I explained it to him after he was wondering where his stuff went.

This has to be the longest “first pass” at fixing something in history.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think DB is using Original Windows 95
    big hole in the back of the program for things to fall out of.
    yeah, i made a habit of going through my inventory, and using for replicator fuel
    extra Galaxy Build left overs, beause they dont auto delete at the end of a galaxy event and
    also specific items of FF/FE crew i have, to clear them out.
    honestly, it shows either amateur or inept programmer ability.
    and i will admit, i am an amateur,
    even thoe my Excel and Access coding gives pros a head ache.

I thought they were using a Commodore 64.............
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice Man wrote: »
    It is bad design to have a limit on items lower than the total number of unique items that will ever be in the game. Say 100000.

It is particularly bad design to silently delete random items from a player's inventory, especially when one pays one way or another for a lot of them.

Fully agreed. If the game cannot store more than a certain amount of items, then it should stop letting players collect items after reaching a certain limit. It should also provide a decent way of selling or recycling gear. e.g.

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/6121/item-quench-from-the-inventory-screen

10,000 could be an underestimate.

There are currently 662 crew. Some of these have at least a dozen unique items to them. e.g. Platonian Kirk has a dozen items, his whip, wreath and tunic all at four different star levels. Some have many more items only used by a few crew, e.g. emotion chips. The wiki lists 1654 pieces of name equipment, and 22 components, at 6 different star levels, this alone could hit 10,000 items.

There are about 50 different shuttle boosts, at least 50 ships all needing their own schematics, these can account for 10% of the inventory limit.

On top of this the game has several ways to fill inventories with unneeded equipement. e.g. on the Dabo wheel I current have Lt Tyler's Lei. I immortalised and froze him a long time ago, and have no need for it.

Every event I play, I win named gear for 2* crew, I have them all immortalised, and so the gear just pollutes my inventory. It is difficult going through 900 items looking for named gear, just to get rid of the garbage.

This is not the players fault as some suggest, it is a problem created by DB.
  • Options
    JassadaJassada ✭✭✭
    Quit Game wrote: »
    Jassada wrote: »

Because it takes a while for you to lose items. But rest assured that you will lose items so don't be so happy.

Let me be happy! :)

You're right, however.
    I have since read up on this and "items in overflow" vansih after 7 days, it says. No way of checking which items are in overflow, no way of throwing away items, no way of searching for specific items though...
    Yup, this is broken.
  • Options
    And once again today I run into someone who knew nothing about this until I explained it to him after he was wondering where his stuff went.

This has to be the longest “first pass” at fixing something in history.

Happened again to someone I was talking to yesterday. They went to quickstart the event and were missing some recently acquired time boosts.
  • Options
    This is stil annoying, esp with the amount of junk from Dabo and event's