Home The Bridge

Support for IamPicard App

Comments

• It has been so long since they announced that they would be looking into it that I have honestly forgot that it would be a thing. Nothing seemed to happen for apparently 4 months and then suddenly the whole thread that they themselves had on top of the page got totally purged. I can't know for sure but it is not a good sign and a ban of the tool is probably imminent. I guess my view can be summed up to: hope for the best but expect the worse.
  • I also think with automation, there needs to be a bit of sensible separation between something that aids gameplay and something that replaces it.

To understand the distinction, it's like doing a job that uses math and turn up one morning to find either a calculator on your desk, or an android on your chair doing your job, along with a cardboard box of your items with a 'Sorry You're Leaving' card blu-tacked to its side next to it.

When it comes to gameplay, I don't see an issue with the former - it's just a productivity tool. The latter on the other hand is a replacement for the player.

From what I know of the Iampicard tool, the only part I see there as a replacement is the Gauntlet as that's the only PvPish part it automates. I see no issue with it selecting crew for the Gauntlet, but it shouldn't replace the user choosing who to attack and who with.
  • SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    Another important point:
    I don't use the tool to choose my gauntlet crew. My strategy is better imho. I'm not going to say what my strategy is because it is my competitive advantage.
  • SMM wrote: »
    Another important point:
    I don't use the tool to choose my gauntlet crew. My strategy is better imho. I'm not going to say what my strategy is because it is my competitive advantage.

I don’t either as I too have my own strategy. Whether it’s an advantage or not I can’t say. So I find iampcard very useful but don’t let it dictate my game play. It is a tool and players use it differently. I echo the point above that it allows us time for more engaged play and has previously been ruled as abiding by the TOS.
    “Holodeck 2 tomorrow, 1600 hours. Just you, me and a tuning fork”
  • HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    There are three things that dictate your success and progress in this game long term
    • Money spent
    • Time invested
    • Playing with correct strategy

Person A : Uses a Macro in a skirmish to complete the old thresholds without having to spend 90 minutes in game. The player would have received skrimish and threshold rewards that should have required 90 minutes of real life time to obtain without having to actually spend that time.

Person B : Uses IamPicard for a week in gauntlet. 7 days * 6 rounds a day or roughly 40 gauntlet rounds. Each round takes them 1minutes in IamPicard instead of 4 minutes in the application. That is 3 minute saved per round or 120 minutes over the course of the week. In that week that person likely gets around 80 reward boxes from gauntlet (maybe 1.5 per round plus some at the gauntlet ends). I think the total average rewards for this would be ~5000 merits, some credits, probably close to 1000 chrons, plus some components.

Both Person A and Person B have bypassed the time invested portion of long term success in this game to get additional rewards.

In my understaning any tool that "shorten" the time used for something in game is against the TOS. I know that calculations and math can be done in Excel or with pen'n'paper but that takes time and does not make any faster than someone who just uses his/her gut feeling to chooes gauntlet or voyage crew.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I have steadfast refused to use this tool because ethically it has always felt like cheating to me. I am not judging other people negatively for using it, just that my own personal ethics forbids me from using it. I want my accomplishments to be free of the taint that comes from using a third-party crutch.

Regarding the future of this app, here is what I would suggest DB do: ban the app, but reach out to the creator and have the components of the app that are upgrades to the core game incorporated to the game so we can all benefit. That to me is the win-win here.

Well put. I agree. I don't care in the slightest that others use it, but I don't. If there are benefits, DB should incorporate them for all.
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    There are three things that dictate your success and progress in this game long term
    • Money spent
    • Time invested

Person A : Uses a Macro in a skirmish to complete the old thresholds without having to spend 90 minutes in game. The player would have received skrimish and threshold rewards that should have required 90 minutes of real life time to obtain without having to actually spend that time.

Person B : Uses IamPicard for a week in gauntlet. 7 days * 6 rounds a day or roughly 40 gauntlet rounds. Each round takes them 1minutes in IamPicard instead of 4 minutes in the application (just from eliminated clicks and animations). That is 3 minute saved per round or 120 minutes over the course of the week. In that week that person likely gets around 80 reward boxes from gauntlet (maybe 1.5 per round plus some at the gauntlet ends). I think the total average rewards for this would be ~5000 merits, some credits, probably close to 1000 chrons, plus some components.

Both Person A and Person B have bypassed the time invested portion of long term success in this game to get additional rewards.

You neglect to note that Person A can leave his/her macro on autopilot and sail to the top 5 earning enormously more valuable (in real monetized terms) ranked rewards (at the direct, not indirect, expense of other players) than someone clearing thresholds. Clearing thresholds harms no one; displacing rank does. For the top 1000, that's one person directly harmed and 3-4 hours, not 90 minutes; for the top 25, that's 3-5 people directly harmed and an ungodly number of hours. Huge false equivalence here, I think.

For gauntlet, I might give you the chrons, although 1000/week is far in excess of anything I've ever achieved. I'm lucky if I can get 50 or so per day. As for merits, they are the 2nd least most valuable currency in the game after credits, so I don't get particularly worked up over them. Everything else that drops is effectively value-less to me at this point in my gameplay.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Regarding the future of this app, here is what I would suggest DB do: ban the app, but reach out to the creator and have the components of the app that are upgrades to the core game incorporated to the game so we can all benefit. That to me is the win-win here.

Not so sure of "win-win", given the implementation rates of improved chat, better fleet management, disposition of the AND bug, ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

You just proved my point.
  • Maybe we should add an [IAP] tag to our in-game user names so that everyone will know that we've tainted our gameplay by using tool. I'll start.
  • ByloBand wrote: »
    I have steadfast refused to use this tool because ethically it has always felt like cheating to me. I am not judging other people negatively for using it, just that my own personal ethics forbids me from using it. I want my accomplishments to be free of the taint that comes from using a third-party crutch.

ByloBand, I agree totally.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Money spent
    • Time invested

Person B : Uses IamPicard for a week in gauntlet. 7 days * 6 rounds a day or roughly 40 gauntlet rounds. Each round takes them 1minutes in IamPicard instead of 4 minutes in the application (just from eliminated clicks and animations). That is 3 minute saved per round or 120 minutes over the course of the week. In that week that person likely gets around 80 reward boxes from gauntlet (maybe 1.5 per round plus some at the gauntlet ends). I think the total average rewards for this would be ~5000 merits, some credits, probably close to 1000 chrons, plus some components.

You neglect to note that Person A can leave his/her macro on autopilot and sail to the top 5 earning enormously more valuable (in real monetized terms) ranked rewards (at the direct, not indirect, expense of other players) than someone clearing thresholds. Clearing thresholds harms no one; displacing rank does. For the top 1000, that's one person directly harmed and 3-4 hours, not 90 minutes; for the top 25, that's 3-5 people directly harmed and an ungodly number of hours. Huge false equivalence here, I think.

For gauntlet, I might give you the chrons, although 1000/week is far in excess of anything I've ever achieved. I'm lucky if I can get 50 or so per day. As for merits, they are the 2nd least most valuable currency in the game after credits, so I don't get particularly worked up over them. Everything else that drops is effectively value-less to me at this point in my gameplay.

Merite are useful a little bit. Now that 725 can potentially get you one {or more} 5* Crew you did not have.

Just saying and no offense meant.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."