Home The Bridge

Support for IamPicard App

Comments

• What I'm concerned about is whether or not users will be banned for using this tool. :# To me it isn't a macro, just a tool that helps players with what crew to keep/airlock, when to recall voyage, etc.
  • Discussion is moot, app taken down. I'm sorry to see it go but get why IAmPicard chose to do so.
  • piruna wrote: »
    S31 wrote: »
    If they ban this App I will use MACRO on purpose in skirmishes and I won't even care about being banned.

So, if they ban the IAmPicard app, you'll punish other players for it? :confused:

Other players caused the ban of IAmPicard. Yes, it's a good move.

So you think that all players, the majority of who didn't abuse or cause anything to happen to IAmPicard, should be punished for the some who did?

It's like saying some humans broke the speed limit. Therefore, all humans should get speeding tickets.
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    piruna wrote: »
    If they ban this App I will use MACRO on purpose in skirmishes and I won't even care about being banned.

So, if they ban the IAmPicard app, you'll punish other players for it? :confused:

So you think that all players, the majority of who didn't abuse or cause anything to happen to IAmPicard, should be punished for the some who did?

It's like saying some humans broke the speed limit. Therefore, all humans should get speeding tickets.

No, it's like the bus driver who sped got a ticket, so now your bus has to go the speed limit.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    pbert wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »
    To DB, for kowtowing to a few players' pressure and basically forcing this tool to be taken down, I say.

I will be critical of DB when they deserve it, but according to the app creator it was personal attacks & app exploits by players & not DB that caused it to be removed. I think there's enough misinformation in this thread, so let's try to keep things factual.

This. A lot of people are going after DB because the creator of the tool was attacked by third parties and harrassed until the App was pulled. That is kind of like getting mad at the guy who built your house, because some neighbors harrassed your plumber until he quit plumbing.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Now playing: American Pie - Don McLean
  • FlayFlay ✭✭✭
    To DB, for kowtowing to a few players' pressure and basically forcing this tool to be taken down, I say.

I will be critical of DB when they deserve it, but according to the app creator it was personal attacks & app exploits by players & not DB that caused it to be removed. I think there's enough misinformation in this thread, so let's try to keep things factual.

I hope DB will come forward soon when their review is done - it's already a few months since they announced it. If they simply said that either the tool breaks their rules, or that it doesn't with the current functionality, there wouldn't be this kind of drama. One side would be officially wrong, the other side right, case solved.

Thus far, the tool was always allowed, then they removed the thread about it - still saying the review is ongoing - which apparently gave the critics enough moral backing to lash out at the creator with their personal attacks.
    [GER - SF] Star Fleet - recruiting active captains with event participation. Our Starbase is level 134 and we use the Line App (optional) for spam, bragging, jokes, motivation and sharing tactics. German language.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

This. A lot of people are going after DB because the creator of the tool was attacked by third parties and harrassed until the App was pulled. That is kind of like getting mad at the guy who built your house, because some neighbors harrassed your plumber until he quit plumbing.

It's actually more like getting mad at the guy who built your house because you've bought a new fancy TV to hang on the wall but your house has **tsk tsk** made walls and you don't know how to hang it yourself so you call a handyman to come help you do it.
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    Phantum wrote: »
    piruna wrote: »

No, it's like the bus driver who sped got a ticket, so now your bus has to go the speed limit.

The driver never got a ticket, he had instead enjoyed a front page spot in the council newspaper promoting his good community service. When this was up for annual renewal a few members of the public who had missed the bus started burning and looting so the bus driver retired, leaving a sincere apology to the community he served.

I'm going to assume you just dont know what was going on, and aren't spinning things as others are.

Dude, for the bus speeding analogy.... I'm out of steam, but I love bad analogies so I'll keep going.

If the driver was 100% innocent, then it was hotwired and stolen because that **tsk tsk** was doing 90 in a school zone, and when someone asked if it was him driving he burned the bus to the ground.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear some of the things that a select group were doing with this app that I’m sure most of us had no idea was going on.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I think that is positive here is that I am seeing a lot of names in this thread and others that I don’t recognize. More people contributing here is a good thing.
    Now playing: American Pie - Don McLean

Understandable, though I personally prefer Avatar’s Hail The Apocalypse.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think that DB's latest "we are looking into it" stance (along with killing the thread) was what indirectly led to the removal of the tool. But yes of course I blame anyone who feels the need to harass someone else for trying to do something to help the entire player base have a better gaming experience. That's just awful that that happened.

We still don't have any official word from DB on whether or not it is allowed. If they determine that there is no issue, the tool can come back. @TekmanRO took it down to be proactive but he could very easily bring it back once a ruling is made.

• Very sad to hear some of the things that a select group were doing with this app that I’m sure most of us had no idea was going on.

And, according to a few in this thread, we should now all be cheated for something that select group were doing. Because that's totally helpful.
    dogfeet wrote: »
    i support TekmanRo and his iap tool.
    a great big thank you to him. if you're one of the ones who was hating on him because you chose not to use the tool, then shame on you. it was an organizational tool which is hardly any different from the wiki or the forums or spreadsheets or discord bots. it did NOT automate the game.
    a great big thank you to him. if you're one of the ones who was hating on him because you chose not to use the tool, then shame on you. it was an organizational tool which is hardly any different from the wiki or the forums or spreadsheets or discord bots. it did NOT automate the game.

Shame on anyone who has to resort to bullying and harassment because they cannot interact in an adult manner.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • dogfeetdogfeet ✭✭✭
    Shame on anyone who has to resort to bullying and harassment because they cannot interact in an adult manner.

sorry, was that intended for me or just in a general sense? if in general, i totally agree, *hi5* to you. if you meant it for me, then i don't believe it's applicable. people who openly attack others should feel ashamed of that. i understand there's a cyclical nature in pointing that out, but i don't believe it's exactly comparing apples to apples if you know what i mean. in any case, i will edit my original post, perhaps it will be less likely to be found offensive.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭

First, I have no issue with people using it, but to be fair it does automate some things. Crew selection, etc. That is still a FORM of automation. Does it give an advantage? Maybe. Is that enough to matter? Probably not. I can see both sides on this one, and could understand/support the decision whichever way it goes. Must be the developer in me coming out.

Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!

sorry, was that intended for me or just in a general sense? if in general, i totally agree, *hi5* to you. if you meant it for me, then i don't believe it's applicable. people who openly attack others should feel ashamed of that. i understand there's a cyclical nature in pointing that out, but i don't believe it's exactly comparing apples to apples if you know what i mean. in any case, i will edit my original post, perhaps it will be less likely to be found offensive.

I was agreeing with you. Not attacking you.

{The double quote is that lag issue the Forums has. Takes longer to undo the extra quote on my tablet than it takes to run a Gauntlet until all five Crew are out for four hours.}
    cmdrworf wrote: »

First, I have no issue with people using it, but to be fair it does automate some things. Crew selection, etc. That is still a FORM of automation. Does it give an advantage? Maybe. Is that enough to matter? Probably not. I can see both sides on this one, and could understand/support the decision whichever way it goes. Must be the developer in me coming out.

Very well said. It simplified things. Several people have spoken up to point out that the IAP Gauntlet choices aren't always better. I don't think my outcome in Events, Voyages, or Gauntlet was adversely affected in a noticable way by others using it.