Home The Bridge

3rd Party Contributor Removal

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    One works in game, the others are off game resource tools. Seems a pretty clear delineation to me. Not sure how you taking away a tool other players use is going to hurt db. Iampicard app hasnt even been removed or banned by db.
    Let’s fly!
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    One works in game, the others are off game resource tools. Seems a pretty clear delineation to me. Not sure how you taking away a tool other players use is going to hurt db. Iampicard app hasnt even been removed or banned by db.

I agree. This is two completely different things. I have never seen wiki's or spreadsheet utilities for any game impacted by TOS issues. Game "helpers" are always grey areas and fall under different sets of rules. While I understand your reason for doing this, all it does is hurt people not DB. (and I am not a user of either of these items).

Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laudable action, fitting of the environment. You have my support as well.
  • I never used the spreadsheet (built my own a long time ago), but I used IAP extensively, and will continue using the desktop version I already had until it no longer works. I think this protest is good and proper.

Given recent developments, I'm really considering dropping STT altogether, and putting my gaming time into Fleet Command instead.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've removed all the details from my Voyage guide that gives the correct path choices for all the voyage exclusive crew on the stickied page in solidarity. They may return pending the outcome of iampicard. :)

Again, just punishing the players. Does nothing for real support of the tool being reviewed or the way the creator was treated.

• Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully, I read that enough times to have it memorized for the most part.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »

Same here.

If people want to support the tool, Flood CS, Flood DB's contact methods, etc. That's were the community needs to focus its support.

• Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    I've removed all the details from my Voyage guide that gives the correct path choices for all the voyage exclusive crew on the stickied page in solidarity. They may return pending the outcome of iampicard. :)

Again, just punishing the players. Does nothing for real support of the tool being reviewed or the way the creator was treated.

I kept a copy so it can easily be reinstated. Unfortunately causing pain for the players is probably one of the only ways to cause pain for DB because if enough players are inconvenienced by not having guides, wikis, etc. removed and the stop playing the game, it hit's DB's bottom line.

Of course DB could easily just quickly give an answer, instead of dragging it on for months, on their verdict for the tool. I can't see where they would have a legitimate problem with the tool because anyone who could modify the tool to cheat could easily just access those same public APIs to cheat without iampicard.

DB needs to stop dragging their feet and just make a ruling. Though, at this point, I wouldn't blame @TekmanRO if he didn't put the tool back up even if DB did rule that it was okay.
  • cmdrworf wrote: »

Same here.

If people want to support the tool, Flood CS, Flood DB's contact methods, etc. That's were the community needs to focus its support.

The problem is I don't think that helps much either, and only serves to clog CS with more unnecessary tickets that they probably can't even really address, much less solve. I don't think this is really DB's fault, except through inaction and lack of comment. This was a player-generated situation. Unless DB goes out of their way to steer the ship back, it will be up to the players to solve it.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here.

The problem is I don't think that helps much either, and only serves to clog CS with more unnecessary tickets that they probably can't even really address, much less solve. I don't think this is really DB's fault, except through inaction and lack of comment. This was a player-generated situation. Unless DB goes out of their way to steer the ship back, it will be up to the players to solve it.

DB simply has to approve the use of iampicard and the problem goes away. If they officially approve it, it wouldn't matter how much whining and complaining the vocal minority did. The tool could return and all the pressure would be gone for the developer of the tool.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here.

DB simply has to approve the use of iampicard and the problem goes away. If they officially approve it, it wouldn't matter how much whining and complaining the vocal minority did. The tool could return and all the pressure would be gone for the developer of the tool.

Very true.

• Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here.

I’m not sure that after all the abuse the IAP dev would want to come back. If he’s been doxxed and threatened then it could even be a police matter at this point (and I hope they get the *%#!).

• dogfeetdogfeet ✭✭✭
    leaving it to the players to solve is probably not the greatest solution. it's like having a single toy in a daycare and trusting the kids to play fairly with it. i totally understand the idea behind removing all 3rd party helpers in support of the iap tool, if it works, i'm all for it. but truly, if db came out and validated iap then this would be far more likely to just go away and die. this drama is toxic, and if all 3rd party resources disappear then it will take a serious toll on the player base.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Can I get clarification on one thing? When it was first mentioned that the developer of IAP was being harassed the other day, people was saying that it was on Reddit or somewhere? Now people are reacting like the harassment was done on these Forums? Considering some of the posts that get "blue inked", I find it hard to believe that harassment and bullying would not be addressed quickly by Mods, here..........
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    A missed opportunity where the developer could have worked with a member of the community bridging a gap and adding to the relationship between them and their fan base, instead we have this. I do not agree, necessarily, with coercement because it is forced, however it appears for a long time now this is the only avenue left. DB has to voluntarily show willingness otherwise it will just be threat after threat after threat - and that is never a good relationship to be built upon.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • I've removed all the details from my Voyage guide that gives the correct path choices for all the voyage exclusive crew on the stickied page in solidarity. They may return pending the outcome of iampicard. :)

I support both your choice and that of the original thread author. Disruptor Beam needs to wake up and actually engage with their community in meaningful ways.

I'm fairly certain that this is a case of someone high enough up to make a decision not bothering to make a decision. Management in any company often has that person who is midway or higher up the food chain who delights in leaving people twisting in the wind on important company issues while they focus on the number of swizzle sticks to order for the company Keurig.
  • AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    DB will react only if the players start quitting the game. Iampicard is needed because the game is incomplete, and the problem will not go away.
  • SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

You know what, the players need punished. The players give their money to DB and not to all the folk that provide help and resources to the community. Until the players force DB to change their ways, the community should stop helping the players.
  • I was quite shocked last night when the IAP tool went down, even moreso when I read why he did it. I fully support him doing it and I used his tool along with this spreadsheet and the DNA sheet, so much work helped in a game with a theme I loved. I always kept an up to date of your sheet along with the others just to compare and added some of my own little items to my own copy. I support your decision to take it down, will really miss it if it's gone forever. I'm always using spreadsheets in various games I play with my own little formulas, I just never had the skill you guys had with the data range so was thankful you could fill in the massive skill gap.

I never bought anything other than the monthly card however the changes over the last few days have made me question why I would keep that tiny tiny support up when DB have been so quiet. I may just play out my current monthly and stop it until something changes.
    ----
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
This discussion has been closed.