Home The Bridge

Daily Missions New Interface

Comments

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the update as well and it is what I expected: harder to see things, harder to scroll through, and wholly unnecessary. I don’t spend enough time in this screen to really impact my overall experience, other than the fact that the resources used to create this new design really should have been spent on other problems...perhaps this layout scales better than the old one and will help inform scaling improvements on other screens?
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Mardi Gras color scheme, and I am already used to scrolling horizontally for shuttles & ships. 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    UI fundamentals input now that I have live access: The boxes are not sorted so that things you can actually do appear first. The once per day monthly card, once per 6 hours free chrons etc hog the startup space and then scans with a long cool down is also early. So you have to scroll every time to get to anything you can actually interact with or accomplish, rather than looking at static content.

Cards should be sorted by availability to complete.

Already commented on the aesthetic UI issues earlier in thread, which are probably more subjective.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Bekka wrote: »
    Am I the only one ...

You are not.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It is not that big a deal for me.

However
    It is just not as easy for me as the old interface was to use.

When I entered before, all the buttons would be on the right proceeding down in same column.

Now the buttons are all over the place in two rows proceeding left to right with big separation. Depending on how far I have scrolled screen. I suppose though if all the claims are on the first screen before scrolling it would be okay. But, I find it also confusing to determine what I have left.

It gives me a headache to look at. Was much easier for me the old way.
    I will get use to this. And, really do not spend much time here anyhow.

The old way I read from left to right and down.
    Now I read one square then either proceed right or down or both.

Why did DB decide to scroll left to right instead of down?

I guess this goes to someone else's comment about pulling up the device menus. Something I have not done for ages now. I also guarantee that in the future the operating systems for devices will put things on the left and right too.

Final edit: already getting use to it. Main complaint I would prefer it scrolled up and down.
  • It's really hard to figure out what is still needed to complete this way.

I hope DB isn't going to be stubborn and force everyone to have to deal with this, instead of just changing it back.
  • BekkaBekka ✭✭✭
    T
    It's really hard to figure out what is still needed to complete this way.

I hope DB isn't going to be stubborn and force everyone to have to deal with this, instead of just changing it back.

That's my thing too, It just requires to much time and energy to look at it, adjust to all that BLAME! in your face gaudiness, to quickly go about clicking complete. My time is important to me, requiring me to spend even MORE time in this game is just additional time I don't want to. This should be a game where people come for enjoyment, and yes, this change takes enjoyment away, because now I have to spend more time, doing something lame, instead of spending my time doing things I need to do.

I have a great idea, auto complete all dailies as soon as they are completed (as in, as soon as I do my 10 training, automatically give me my reward without having me click complete)

3x a day just give us the chronitons, so we don't have to play and drive while we are working and can't get to it during YOUR hours.

just saying, those are changes I could live with, this I just don't know if I can.

I really really hope you decide to just roll it back, or not force it on android, because I don't have a big screen, I have a nice normal size screen and that will just be worse there, than on Facebook, if that is possible.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It is frustrating having to get use to a new format, when the old was simplistic to use.

I suppose it is time to change crew quarters so crew scroll left to right rather than up and down. Same with putting crew into a ship. But in that case it would probably be a benefit to scroll left to right. Because more crew would come into view a column at a time than a row at a time.

When the finally give us an equipment and component managing screen then I will be thankful.

I would love to be able to have items that are farmable from missions be displayed with the amount I have. Then be able to click for a mission to get that item.

Also I would love to have an item build screen . On this screen I select any crew whether I have them or not. The base items needed to build all items for that crew that I do not have would be displayed based on their building needs. (Probably not worth the investment to do)
    Or other option, I get a leveling screen that allows me to pick the level for crew and build his items just like the normal crew build. (This would probably be easier to implement requiring less investment)

But the point here is that I could know what I need in advance of getting a certain crew duplicate or not) Also have the items ready to build or equipped.

The problem with the new interface is the left to right scrolling. If it scrolled up and down it would make much more sense in reading what we need to do

This new interface is giving me headaches. It could be text size. Also, I am not reading it properly, I need to read row of boxes at a time not column as I am currently doing. This besides font size could be straining my eyes.

Again the correct reading I am suggesting for less eye strain, indeed implies that the up and down scrolling would be more appropriate.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

How many times has Facebook resigned their interface? How many times has Google redone gmail?

Companies change their design all the time. Their UX people think it's better. It's disruptive to users used to the old change, but eventually they get over it. DB is going to stick with this because that's what companies do. It's annoying now, but in 6 months you'll be over it and be so used to this interface that you'll complain when they change it again.
  • Again.... yes it it very difficult to navigate. Hard to figure out whats left. The color boxes vs. the writting is very difficult to make out, and the type is so small on smaller mobile devices most ppl cant read it.
    Ppl with Larger devices seem to be having no problem, no comment or it has been well Received because it doesnt affect them.
    It would be a reasonable fact that the ppl who log in multiple times a day, and are most active in the game on a regular daily basis are ppl with mobile devices that are smaller. It seems DB did not consider this at all for this format.
    There was nothing wrong with the old format. It was simple, useable, easy to navigate, easy to see, and not overwhelming with multiple bright color contrasts.
    This thread is 4 pages and will continue to grow. For every person who speaks out there are 3 or 4 who never post on the forums. Maybe this is one of those times where the player difficulty that has been added by this change should really be reconsidered and revert back to the original format.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    If this is trying to make Code device independent I can accept it.

But I would suggest only one achievement or daily mission displayed at a time.
    A next achievement button and a previous achievement button. Last achievement button and first achievement button. Actually look at the forum page movement as a suggested way to go through one achievement at a time.

You need to probably remove claim dil. or Chron and daily reward of month to their only column to be claimed.

At the left would be a column of buttons, pink the monthly card dil. Choices buy monthly card or 100 dil. (Dil. claimed or inactive button or just claimed)

Underneath it would be your Chron , i though light blue was associated with Chron, but green could do , 20 Chron or time to next claim right on button or the orange video available.

Underneath that would be daily reward or preview .

Next is the big view of current achievement as mentioned above.
    On top would be the choice of either daily missions or achievements.
    The window would show the current one. On bottom in each corner of window just go with previous at left and next at right. In middle bottom say how many. Could be zero. Also indicate which you are viewing. Ex. 1 of 7.
    Put button at same location to claim it.

Forget about first or last . A page of zero could say all claimed for daily missions.
  • I'm really glad to see that many others are not excited about this unnecessary change to the missions screen.

All I want to add is another voice to say "Please put it back to how it was!"
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't hate it....I like the colourfulness. But when I saw it, I definitely went "why was this necessary?"
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
    edited March 2019
    Ppl with Larger devices seem to be having no problem, no comment or it has been well Received because it doesnt affect them.

I play mostly on a large iPad Pro and firmly believe it’s awful. I think small screen size exacerbates the poor design, but the poor design affects all sizes. Actually, on a large screen it is worse because we went from being able to see many incomplete items at once to only seeing one or two before scrolling.

With Shan’s admonition in mind, my apologies to the designer ... please take this as constructive criticism rather than an ad hominem attack!
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand everyone has a (very strong) opinion on this - either you are firmly in the 'revert' camp, or the 'leave it' camp - either by apathy or you actually like it.

The important fact that is being brushed off is - this happened for a reason. People have basically said the UI guy got bored and fired off a crazy change. The reality is - something new is coming to the game.
    yf0ulw5u583s.png
    Something that needs that space. So, hate the change or not, but it will remain because there are new features being added to our 3+yr old game and I (speaking for myself) would rather have a UI change without universal appeal if it means new features vs. the old UI and no new features.
    I understand everyone has a (very strong) opinion on this - either you are firmly in the 'revert' camp, or the 'leave it' camp - either by apathy or you actually like it.

The important fact that is being brushed off is - this happened for a reason. People have basically said the UI guy got bored and fired off a crazy change. The reality is - something new is coming to the game.
    yf0ulw5u583s.png
    Something that needs that space. So, hate the change or not, but it will remain because there are new features being added to our 3+yr old game and I (speaking for myself) would rather have a UI change without universal appeal if it means new features vs. the old UI and no new features.

That’s a wonderfully “panel half full” view. :-)

Cough cough I would point to the black ocean of unused pixels in our new shuttle return screens, with two panels lined up paradoxically horizontally in the middle to force scrolling to see rewards, as a counter-inference, but I hope you have insider info to the contrary!
  • I understand everyone has a (very strong) opinion on this - either you are firmly in the 'revert' camp, or the 'leave it' camp - either by apathy or you actually like it.

yf0ulw5u583s.png

That's all well and good, but; DB might have saved themselves some grief if they had let us know that in advance. They don't even have to tell us what is coming if they want to keep it a secret - just an explanation for why they have done it.

• AviTrek wrote: »

How many times has Facebook resigned their interface? How many times has Google redone gmail?

Companies change their design all the time. Their UX people think it's better. It's disruptive to users used to the old change, but eventually they get over it. DB is going to stick with this because that's what companies do. It's annoying now, but in 6 months you'll be over it and be so used to this interface that you'll complain when they change it again.

Nice red herring, because what other companies do has no bearing on this. Or the reason for my complaint.

If Facebook changed its interface to something that I didn’t like, I would complain about that too. It’s my right as a consumer. It’s how we get products that we like. We are after all the customer.

Any business that does not listen to it’s customers, takes a big risk. It’s often why companies go out of business.

And I for one I’m getting really sick of the people on here who complain about people exercising their right to not like something DB does. Clearly there are a lot of people who did not like this change. It would be great for DB to listen to them. And not force us to “have to get used to it”.
    I don’t recall seeing anyone asking for this change. Especially when there are so many other things that do need changing and have been requested constantly. The previous design was much better. I would like to see them go back to it. If they hadn’t changed it, there would be no need for me to complain about it. And there wouldn’t be something I’d have to “get used to” that is worse than before.
  • AviTrek wrote: »

Nice red herring, because what other companies do has no bearing on this. Or the reason for my complaint.

If Facebook changed its interface to something that I didn’t like, I would complain about that too. It’s my right as a consumer. It’s how we get products that we like. We are after all the customer.

Any business that does not listen to it’s customers, takes a big risk. It’s often why companies go out of business.

And I for one I’m getting really sick of the people on here who complain about people exercising their right to not like something DB does. Clearly there are a lot of people who did not like this change. It would be great for DB to listen to them. And not force us to “have to get used to it”.
    I don’t recall seeing anyone asking for this change. Especially when there are so many other things that do need changing and have been requested constantly. The previous design was much better. I would like to see them go back to it. If they hadn’t changed it, there would be no need for me to complain about it. And there wouldn’t be something I’d have to “get used to” that is worse than before.

I'm not sure AviTrek said "don't tell us your opinion". It sounded a little more like "you'll get over it". :smile: Perhaps someone might have said something along those lines, but I'm sure most just wanted to share that SOME of us don't mind the change and want DB to know that it's not unanimously disliked.
  • I understand everyone has a (very strong) opinion on this - either you are firmly in the 'revert' camp, or the 'leave it' camp - either by apathy or you actually like it.

yf0ulw5u583s.png

The perfect space for a "claim all" button
    I (speaking for myself) would rather have a UI change without universal appeal if it means new features vs. the old UI and no new features.

“ universal appeal” is not the problem. Ppl are having a very strong opinion because this has changed the ability to play the game for people. Sure, some ppl just dont like it. But the stronger opinions are from ppl who cant see the print because it is sooo small or are visually overwhelmed by bright colors and the contrasting print read-ability issue. Everyone doesnt visualize the same. There are many occular differences that cause people to see things in a different manner. As far as empty space, the same thing happened when they changed the shuttle screen. Everything got smaller but there is alot of empty space.
    And if you are not concerned for universal play-ability then i guess you are not concerned that if ppl cant see they may stop playing. Less players = less revenue.
    As far as looking ahead to added features, the original format had “tabs” for dailies and achievements. Easily a third “tab” could be added.
    Overal it is not as simple as like or dislike. This is a visual interpretation issue for ppl who see differently and/or have smaller devices.
  • On my phone, an iPhone XS Max, I went from being able to i my see only 2 of the dailies to being able to see 4, so I am more than good with this change. When I open ot, I can actually see a claim button now.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my phone, an iPhone XS Max, I went from being able to i my see only 2 of the dailies to being able to see 4, so I am more than good with this change. When I open ot, I can actually see a claim button now.

Interesting. On my iPhone 8 I went from being able to see three full rows plus most of a fourth to seeing four boxes with illegible text. Instead of claiming four things I can read at a time, I just slowly tap away at yellow boxes until they are all gone.

The other problem with the text is with the counters in each box - the completion bars for the achievements are scaled to the width of the box rather than where the text starts, so it takes a magnifying glass to see how many gauntlet rounds I have completed.
  • Old @ 1280 x 800 on an older tablet

kxb52n24u1op.png

New @ 1920 x 1080 in an emulator

0an8bkphdr0b.png

Same data for me either way, with both showing 4 items. It different, but it does unify the daily missions with the flow of the rest of the app.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB get rid of the stupid light blue bar. We do not need it. It is now my main reason why this new UI is pitiful.

All we need are numbers like 7/11😉🖖
  • I actually quite like it. It wasn't necessary really but it's alright.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    milamber42 wrote: »
    Old @ 1280 x 800 on an older tablet

kxb52n24u1op.png

New @ 1920 x 1080 in an emulator

0an8bkphdr0b.png

Same data for me either way, with both showing 4 items. It different, but it does unify the daily missions with the flow of the rest of the app.

Besides the bar why do we need Reward above the pic of the reward.
    The old one did not have it. And again we do not need it.
  • In case anyone from DB is actually reading these, I’m with the “this didn’t need to be changed, it’s slightly broken now, I REALLY don’t like it, and there are a LOT of other things that should have been addressed before this (make 6 hour voyage rewards better!)” crowd.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    It is frustrating having to get use to a new format, when the old was simplistic to use.

I suppose it is time to change crew quarters so crew scroll left to right rather than up and down. Same with putting crew into a ship. But in that case it would probably be a benefit to scroll left to right. Because more crew would come into view a column at a time than a row at a time.

When the finally give us an equipment and component managing screen then I will be thankful.

I would love to be able to have items that are farmable from missions be displayed with the amount I have. Then be able to click for a mission to get that item.

Also I would love to have an item build screen . On this screen I select any crew whether I have them or not. The base items needed to build all items for that crew that I do not have would be displayed based on their building needs. (Probably not worth the investment to do)
    Or other option, I get a leveling screen that allows me to pick the level for crew and build his items just like the normal crew build. (This would probably be easier to implement requiring less investment)

But the point here is that I could know what I need in advance of getting a certain crew duplicate or not) Also have the items ready to build or equipped.

The problem with the new interface is the left to right scrolling. If it scrolled up and down it would make much more sense in reading what we need to do

This new interface is giving me headaches. It could be text size. Also, I am not reading it properly, I need to read row of boxes at a time not column as I am currently doing. This besides font size could be straining my eyes.

Again the correct reading I am suggesting for less eye strain, indeed implies that the up and down scrolling would be more appropriate.

You would think after all the complaints about the ship selection interface (left to right), and the complaints and I can only guess dozens of CS tix (or more) about the Factions stores "accidentally" hitting buttons whilst trying to scroll left to right, that the designers and especially head of design would be aware of this and NOT put in another left-to-right scroll "feature".

I agree with @WaldoMag – Up & down with this new interface would be ideal.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...