Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: The Big Sting (rerun) - 07/04

Comments

• Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I'm about 150 right now with a constant stream of shuttles and a bunch of boosts. My plan is to slow down after I hit 400K. I always try to hit the start very hard to boost numbers and intimidate other players. I never try to hover around top 1500. You will regret it if you do. I hit hard and then allow myself to drop to hover around 1000. That top 1500 has about 500 on either side that fluctuates wildly.

Funny, but I do the EXACT opposite (although this is partially and in no small way due to my sleep/work schedule). I stay up until 0900 local time just long enough to share a crew, then I sleep for 6-7 hours. I wake up in the afternoon and "catch up" doing a normal routine as if I was starting when the event began. Once up to 4K shuttles I run a few rounds of shuttles using 3* time reducers to get the top 1.5K in sight (usually around 2.2K) and then I send boosted shuttles EVERY 3 hours (may as well take advantage of the fact I rarely get to sleep!) for two days straight, prefering quality over quantity (ie I try to maintain constant pressure by never missing a cycle, and failing as few as possible). Doing this I gain around 100ish ranks every cycle until I approach the top 1.5K, at which point I start to slowly increase my scoring by doing whatever needs doing (sending additional shuttles, sending a few waves of 3* time reducers, etc) to build momentum, I feel it takes on an aura of inevitibility this way, and let's me gauge how much "gas" I need, which helps me conserve for next time.

++++++++++++++++

Shifting gears, has anybody else noticed a higher than expected failure rate in phase 2? I've failed 12 of my last 30 shuttles, and I've not once sent a shuttle with a listed success chance less than 89% (most are mid 90s%).

-EDIT-

Make that 14 of my last 35. I am sending out 5 shuttles at a time and literally failing 2 of 5 each cycle, this is ridiculous!

How's that going? I'm struggling to get above about 1800.
  • Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was failing 1 out of 5 shuttles in phase 1, at 95% and higher.
    I thought it was rather odd.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ADVICE PLEASE!! I have been putting out shuttles every 3 hours just about non-stop during this entire event hoping to get to the threshold and get a 5* Gangster Kirk. I started with the "kickstart." I've had several "missions concluded" without success. A few hours ago I used some of my shuttle tokens to put out 6 shuttles rather than just 4. I then did the math and found that IF I had successful missions for the rest of the event, I would need 33 hours to finish with the 5* Gangster Kirk. :( There's only 18 more hours. Many in my fleet have already cleared the threshold - some yesterday!!! How are they doing this??? I have difficulty asking in game on my phone because it isn't conducive to holding a proper conversation without a ton of misspellings. I'd like some advice on what to do to be able to actually finish the threshold. I am a level 50. The kickstart never gets me all the way to 4000 - instead I get to 2750 (I think). What can I do to improve? Thanks guys!
  • Options
    That is about where the Kickstart gets me, but then I run reduced time shuttles when I can. Running at least 3 at 1 1/2 hours, sometime 4, otherwise the 4th is a 3 hours. Running 5 at night with 9 hours boosts.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention I do the 9 hour boosts at night but haven't run 5 at once so thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    GAH! I'm so excited for Khaaaaaaan Kirk! He might've been the last character I designed before I left DB.

I still can't believe after three years that STT didn't have one of the arguably most iconic moments for this character in the game yet.

Wait, so the character design team also double as message board moderators? Lol.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADVICE PLEASE!! I have been putting out shuttles every 3 hours just about non-stop during this entire event hoping to get to the threshold and get a 5* Gangster Kirk. I started with the "kickstart." I've had several "missions concluded" without success. A few hours ago I used some of my shuttle tokens to put out 6 shuttles rather than just 4. I then did the math and found that IF I had successful missions for the rest of the event, I would need 33 hours to finish with the 5* Gangster Kirk. :( There's only 18 more hours. Many in my fleet have already cleared the threshold - some yesterday!!! How are they doing this??? I have difficulty asking in game on my phone because it isn't conducive to holding a proper conversation without a ton of misspellings. I'd like some advice on what to do to be able to actually finish the threshold. I am a level 50. The kickstart never gets me all the way to 4000 - instead I get to 2750 (I think). What can I do to improve? Thanks guys!

How many time boosts and skill boosts do you have? I suggest never using a time reducer of skill boost on regular days until you have a sufficient stockpile. On Thursdays, do you time your cadet missions to always double rewards and get the extra every-four-hour mission? Do you also always run the middle row of cadet missions on Thursday? Are you part of a good squad either a leader who always shares a legendary event crew? All of these things make a difference.
  • Options

How many time boosts and skill boosts do you have? I suggest never using a time reducer of skill boost on regular days until you have a sufficient stockpile. On Thursdays, do you time your cadet missions to always double rewards and get the extra every-four-hour mission? Do you also always run the middle row of cadet missions on Thursday? Are you part of a good squad either a leader who always shares a legendary event crew? All of these things make a difference. [/quote]

I've got the following:
    Time Reducers:
    2 - 4 star
    47 - 3 star
    2- 2 star
    15 - 1 star
    27 - no star

Skill boosters:
    118 - 3 Star Command
    111 - 3 Star Diplomacy
    132 - 3 star Engineering
    95 - 3 star Security
    190 - 3 star Med
    147 - 3 star Sci

I use them with every shuttle but often times they only boost me a little and I might be sending out a shuttle that with boost, has only 37% chance.

My fleet and squad are excellent and give a lot of great advice but in the chat, I can't write all of this efficiently. Squad leader always shares a great crew member. I am not sure about the middle row of cadet missions on Thursdays - I'll have to check - if it is one that give chrons, I run the row that give 25 chrons. What are your thoughts??? I appreciate the help!
  • Options
    Ok, Yes, about Thursday's cadet missions. I do get the shuttle boosts on Thursdays.
  • Options
    Only use boosts for events. I made the mistake of using them for regular shuttles between events to start. They are much more help in Events.
  • Options
    It sounds like you're doing well on those issues. It sounds like you need more crew. That will come in time. In the meantime, you will do well to stockpile resources.
  • Options
    SovinoxSovinox ✭✭✭
    This is a tough event this weekend. I am running 5 to 6 missions non-stop, this might explain why some of your fleet members have cleared the thresholds long ago or why you struggling with rank.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s all about the amount of bonus crew. My alt is level 61 and was in the top 1000 at the start but had kept dropping. Shuttles are 70-80 instead of in the 90s.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeldoow wrote: »
    I'm about 150 right now with a constant stream of shuttles and a bunch of boosts. My plan is to slow down after I hit 400K. I always try to hit the start very hard to boost numbers and intimidate other players. I never try to hover around top 1500. You will regret it if you do. I hit hard and then allow myself to drop to hover around 1000. That top 1500 has about 500 on either side that fluctuates wildly.

Funny, but I do the EXACT opposite (although this is partially and in no small way due to my sleep/work schedule). I stay up until 0900 local time just long enough to share a crew, then I sleep for 6-7 hours. I wake up in the afternoon and "catch up" doing a normal routine as if I was starting when the event began. Once up to 4K shuttles I run a few rounds of shuttles using 3* time reducers to get the top 1.5K in sight (usually around 2.2K) and then I send boosted shuttles EVERY 3 hours (may as well take advantage of the fact I rarely get to sleep!) for two days straight, preferring quality over quantity (ie I try to maintain constant pressure by never missing a cycle, and failing as few as possible). Doing this I gain around 100ish ranks every cycle until I approach the top 1.5K, at which point I start to slowly increase my scoring by doing whatever needs doing (sending additional shuttles, sending a few waves of 3* time reducers, etc) to build momentum, I feel it takes on an aura of inevitability this way, and let's me gauge how much "gas" I need, which helps me conserve for next time.

++++++++++++++++

Shifting gears, has anybody else noticed a higher than expected failure rate in phase 2? I've failed 12 of my last 30 shuttles, and I've not once sent a shuttle with a listed success chance less than 89% (most are mid 90s%).

-EDIT-

Make that 14 of my last 35. I am sending out 5 shuttles at a time and literally failing 2 of 5 each cycle, this is ridiculous!

I do not understand your question, other than deliberately avoiding using the phrase "kickstart" (I used the phrase "catch up" as code) I was pretty specific as to my precise methods.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADVICE PLEASE!!
    I have been putting out shuttles every 3 hours just about non-stop during this entire event hoping to get to the threshold and get a 5* Gangster Kirk. I started with the "kickstart." I've had several "missions concluded" without success. A few hours ago I used some of my shuttle tokens to put out 6 shuttles rather than just 4. I then did the math and found that IF I had successful missions for the rest of the event, I would need 33 hours to finish with the 5* Gangster Kirk. :( There's only 18 more hours. Many in my fleet have already cleared the threshold - some yesterday!!! How are they doing this??? I have difficulty asking in game on my phone because it isn't conducive to holding a proper conversation without a ton of misspellings. I'd like some advice on what to do to be able to actually finish the threshold. I am a level 50. The kickstart never gets me all the way to 4000 - instead I get to 2750 (I think).
    What can I do to improve? Thanks guys!

(Also took into account some of your subsequent replies.)

It sounds like you may have a somewhat weaker crew that some of your fleet mates. That's fine, but it does make it harder for you to hit 400K. Your kickstart is fine - I land at 2750 as well. After that, mission vp is affected by your success and fail rates. The math is simple - you get 1 point for a successful mission, and lose 1.5 points for a fail. You need 40 or more points to be able to run 4K missions (2750 missions run at 32-35 points). To climb from 2750 to 4000 (and stay there), you must be able to succeed ~3/4 of the time. (With 4 shuttles, a 3:1 success:fail ratio gains 1.5 points, but 2:2 is -1 point.) Just to be clear - these "points" are not visible anywhere - it's tracked behind the scenes by the server (and you, if you choose to do so), and they are cumulative for the whole event.

Also, when you apply skill boost modifiers, two things can help get the max effect. One, pick the skill that appears most often on the shuttle. Ex: on a 3-seat shuttle, if all 3 seats include CMD, use a CMD boost. Two, if you have an event crew on the shuttle, pick one of that crew's skills, and preferably one that appears in another seat. Ex: for a shuttle with cmd-dip, cmd-sci, and sci-med, if you have an event crew in the cmd-dip seat, pick a CMD boost, not a DIP or SCI boost. These two scenarios aren't mutually exclusive - just experiment with the boosts until you get the best percentage.
  • Options
    ADVICE PLEASE!!
    I have been putting out shuttles every 3 hours just about non-stop during this entire event hoping to get to the threshold and get a 5* Gangster Kirk. I started with the "kickstart." I've had several "missions concluded" without success. A few hours ago I used some of my shuttle tokens to put out 6 shuttles rather than just 4. I then did the math and found that IF I had successful missions for the rest of the event, I would need 33 hours to finish with the 5* Gangster Kirk. :( There's only 18 more hours. Many in my fleet have already cleared the threshold - some yesterday!!! How are they doing this??? I have difficulty asking in game on my phone because it isn't conducive to holding a proper conversation without a ton of misspellings. I'd like some advice on what to do to be able to actually finish the threshold. I am a level 50. The kickstart never gets me all the way to 4000 - instead I get to 2750 (I think).
    What can I do to improve? Thanks guys!

(Also took into account some of your subsequent replies.)

It sounds like you may have a somewhat weaker crew that some of your fleet mates. That's fine, but it does make it harder for you to hit 400K. Your kickstart is fine - I land at 2750 as well. After that, mission vp is affected by your success and fail rates. The math is simple - you get 1 point for a successful mission, and lose 1.5 points for a fail. You need 40 or more points to be able to run 4K missions (2750 missions run at 32-35 points). To climb from 2750 to 4000 (and stay there), you must be able to succeed ~3/4 of the time. (With 4 shuttles, a 3:1 success:fail ratio gains 1.5 points, but 2:2 is -1 point.) Just to be clear - these "points" are not visible anywhere - it's tracked behind the scenes by the server (and you, if you choose to do so), and they are cumulative for the whole event.

Also, when you apply skill boost modifiers, two things can help get the max effect. One, pick the skill that appears most often on the shuttle. Ex: on a 3-seat shuttle, if all 3 seats include CMD, use a CMD boost. Two, if you have an event crew on the shuttle, pick one of that crew's skills, and preferably one that appears in another seat. Ex: for a shuttle with cmd-dip, cmd-sci, and sci-med, if you have an event crew in the cmd-dip seat, pick a CMD boost, not a DIP or SCI boost. These two scenarios aren't mutually exclusive - just experiment with the boosts until you get the best percentage.

Thanks so much for the advice! When trying to choose a boost, I go through each type and pick one that gives me the highest percent possibility of success. Sometimes there are two that are equal - your advice will help me choose the right one in that situation!!
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    I am not going to quote the whole passage, cause its getting quite large, but this is to the guy who needs help or asked for advice, and those helping...

My alt doesn't have as strong a crew as mine, and I was still able to hit the threshold about a couple hours ago.

They are right boosts are important, especially if you are still working on improving and maximizing your crew.

Your most important boost thou however is reducers and the 2x multipliers, as you can get twice the bang of points for your buck so to speak.

The rest is purely dedication and if you have the time to run the shuttles continuously, and if desperate enough set your alarm and wake up every three hours.

It is however doable, if you have the patience, stamina and boosts;)
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    To build on @Ishmael Marx 's first point on the hidden success/fail scores, transmissions have the point amount from the number of success at the point in which they are opened, not when they are run. A properly run quick/kick/jump/catch-up start utilizes this fact, but it's not the only way.

While I was working towards a crew that could reliably hit 4K shuttles, one technique I used was to open a few extra transmissions as "insurance", so that if I ever dropped a tier I had a chance to quickly bounce back. If you are struggling to stay at 2750, 3500 or even 4000 its an easy way to at least maintain progress. In a faction event getting high-point shuttles quickly is key and dropping tiers holds you back drasticly.

Use shuttle tokens/reward multiplier boosts only once you've reached your point tier ceiling.

Also keep in mind that rerun threshold 5*s are at a point level so high that some extra effort is required even for players that regularly hit 4K. A sacrifice is demanded of either tokens, boosts, dil or sleep. At the least.
  • Options

Funny, but I do the EXACT opposite (although this is partially and in no small way due to my sleep/work schedule). I stay up until 0900 local time just long enough to share a crew, then I sleep for 6-7 hours. I wake up in the afternoon and "catch up" doing a normal routine as if I was starting when the event began. Once up to 4K shuttles I run a few rounds of shuttles using 3* time reducers to get the top 1.5K in sight (usually around 2.2K) and then I send boosted shuttles EVERY 3 hours (may as well take advantage of the fact I rarely get to sleep!) for two days straight, preferring quality over quantity (ie I try to maintain constant pressure by never missing a cycle, and failing as few as possible). Doing this I gain around 100ish ranks every cycle until I approach the top 1.5K, at which point I start to slowly increase my scoring by doing whatever needs doing (sending additional shuttles, sending a few waves of 3* time reducers, etc) to build momentum, I feel it takes on an aura of inevitability this way, and let's me gauge how much "gas" I need, which helps me conserve for next time.

++++++++++++++++

-EDIT-

I do not understand your question, other than deliberately avoiding using the phrase "kickstart" (I used the phrase "catch up" as code) I was pretty specific as to my precise methods.

I was just meaning how are you getting on catching up (i.e. what rank have to made it too catching up).

I wasn't able to make a great start to this event and have been chucking a whole bunch of boosts and extra shuttles at it and haven't been able to crack the top 1,500.
  • Options

++++++++++++++++

-EDIT-

I was just meaning how are you getting on catching up (i.e. what rank have to made it too catching up).

I wasn't able to make a great start to this event and have been chucking a whole bunch of boosts and extra shuttles at it and haven't been able to crack the top 1,500.

It's all about 3* time boosts and rental tokens. All other things being equal, if you use skill boosts and tokens I will be scoring nearly twice as much as you if I am using 3* time boosts and rental tokens.
  • Options

++++++++++++++++

-EDIT-

It's all about 3* time boosts and rental tokens. All other things being equal, if you use skill boosts and tokens I will be scoring nearly twice as much as you if I am using 3* time boosts and rental tokens.

I'm having to split between using time boost and skill boost as I don't have enough strong enough crew (or enough time boosts) to run 6+ shuttles all on time boosts.

That is probably why I'm struggling.
  • Options

I do my own style of kickstart, which is open all missions, pick one and keep doing that one until a 5* timer brings it down to 30 minutes and then run through all the others I opened. That gets me to 3.5k, and then I think its the first set of 4 missions with 3* timer boosts hits the 4k.

I then fish for the 3 seaters and switch between 2x rewards and 3* timers depending if I have the time to run 90 minute missions.

Also, I use tokens for excess 4k missions, sometimes with a 9 hour boost, for the extra VP and also trim the time for fishing out the 3 seaters.

I'm, currently sat at 143, my highest position on the last day of an event, and I cleared threshold either Friday or Saturday (I was having a few beers both days, so memory is hazy!) so I'm pleased with the progress.

Now there is no way I could do this every week, but once a month? Probably. Especially as my technique is a work in progress as I try to improve my ranking, so will be getting tweaked from experience and reading posts from fellow players.

Hopefully some of that may be of help and use to you.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I'm having to split between using time boost and skill boost as I don't have enough strong enough crew (or enough time boosts) to run 6+ shuttles all on time boosts.

That is probably why I'm struggling.

Use time boosts on your highest %age shuttles, and on token shuttles just skill boosts or time triplers.

Don't be worried about launching some at low %ages, I used to be worried about wasting tokens, but just as long as you can regain them over time you're fine. They're free VP, sometimes 800, sometimes 4000, but still free VP.

Use 3* time triplers on them, and you're a guaranteed an extra 1600 VP per shuttle minimum. And realistically some will succeed and that's 8k VP.

Over the duration of an event, thats a pretty hefty bonus.
  • Options
    Haere LinteseregHaere Lintesereg ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Oh, hi @ByloBand!

2jv7i68kbk60.png
  • Options

Hi friend!

You can always chat in game to us using a keyboard by logging in via Steam or Facebook :smile:

I cleared thresholds early by running lots of doubler rentals and smashing through all of my time boosts till they ran out. I don't think you'll have a good enough crew yet for that to be a successful strategy for you. Clearing the top threshold in faction reruns is tough with limited crew. I don't think I managed it till I was almost L60.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh, burned through all my boosts and still 500 places out of Top 1500 coming into noon. (Stupid Fourth of July weekend...)
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    I'm curious. What is the VP level for 1500 now? I put in enough work that I am guaranteed top 1500, but I wonder how much I really needed.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious. What is the VP level for 1500 now? I put in enough work that I am guaranteed top 1500, but I wonder how much I really needed.

There's too much late movement to guess where you'll need to be.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on where I am now (750ish with about 620k VP) I would say somewhere in the 500-550k VP range should be sufficient for the top 1500. We’ll see how wrong I am based on shuttle completions over the next 45 minutes. :)
  • Options
    Closer to 6