Home The Bridge
Options

The Thing Most Likely to End My STT Career is an Army of 1/5*s

[GoT] LuckyNumberHat[GoT] LuckyNumberHat ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in The Bridge
The arrival of Survivalist Kirk today brought an interesting fact to my attention. I was quite happy to receive this slick fellow (props to both DB and the forum for how things were dealt with), level him up, and slot him in with all my other unfused Legendaries. And then the same thing happened that happens every time I finish a new Legendary.

"What am I ever going to do with all of these?"

As a fairly seasoned player at this point, I don't have much trouble competing in events (I can feel your disgust already), failing to get the ranked reward card only once (Smilin' Annorax) since back in October of last year. Add in a healthy number that I've accumulated before that through packs or specific events and I've built quite a squad of Level 100, unfused Legendaries. So many so, that my crew slots are now mostly gold-plated. I did a quick count and came up with:

1/5* - 100
2/5* - 27
3/5* - 12
4/5* - 4
Total unfused 5* - 143

Sure, a few of those are the likes of Captain Braxton and da Vinci, who will get their citations before long, but the vast majority will stay just as they are.

So what am I to do as I continue? I'm certainly not going to pay to expand my crew quarters 5 slots at a time. For what? Another 5 unfused cards, unlikley to ever be used again? And then 5 weeks down the road, same thing?

Ok, so instead I can... start airlocking cards after they are used for the event? Man, that seems mighty unfulfilling for a card collecting game. And what if a new collection is introduced? Or a whole new game mechanic? That could drastically change the value of a card I have long since left behind. Guess I'm just out of luck then.

Well, if I don't want to waste my time and resources on a card that will stick around for one event and then get ditched, I guess I can... not compete in those events? Wow. So every month I'm sitting out one or two events? Just spend half an hour to blitz up the threshold rewards in each Galaxy or grind a bit in a Skirmish? Throw shuttles out for a Faction half-heartedly? It's like a whole week of Tuesdays.

Events are what keep me engaged, personally. I check for the event details on Friday. I look forward to competing. But if that now also includes hunting through my roster for which card I want to airlock, that just seems like a real downer.

For me, what I need is some way to stash unfused cards. And I have an idea:
1. Expand the Vault to allow for freezing Level 100 cards that aren't fully fused.
2. Allow for adding stars to them through extra copies or citation as you can if they are in crew quarters.
3. Do not allow for thawing of unfused frozen cards. To get them out, they first have to be fused.

And maybe this is all pointless. Maybe DB makes more money from those of us willing to pay for crew slots than they do from those they may lose along the way. But I know a lot of us reaching and already in the late-game are starting to wonder what comes next and say to ourselves:

"What am I every going to do with all of these?"

Comments

• Options
    More than anything, a vent. But maybe other options for DB to hear. Or other options from other players for me to hear. I'm sure I'm not the first to feel this way. :)
  • Options
    Suffering from the same dilemna, have nearly all the 4 stars, 90% of those are on ice. The bulk of the rest of my active crew are 1/5 and 2/5s that will likely never max. I'm not sure how some folks just cite up thier crew so fast, takes me forever to get enough honor to do one 5 star cite.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel obligated to share a discussion with another idea to allow you to freeze some golds.
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/14243/idea-for-tuesdays-decrepit-legendaries#latest
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'all got me curious. For completion sake, I'm including the golds I haven't leveled yet since they're taking up space regardless:

1/5: 78
    2/5: 46
    3/5: 18
    4/5: 12
    5/5: 33

I don't currently have an issue with the size of my crew quarters, but I may need to level and freeze a few more purples with the new mega coming up.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, everyone has me beat.

1/5: 69

I didn't check the rest. No worry about space at the moment.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    Y'all got me curious. For completion sake, I'm including the golds I haven't leveled yet since they're taking up space regardless:

1/5: 78
    2/5: 46
    4/5: 12
    5/5: 33

I don't currently have an issue with the size of my crew quarters, but I may need to level and freeze a few more purples with the new mega coming up.

We are actually really close in numbers. You have me beat by 10 for 5/5s though.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    As my active 4* crew keeps declining (only 12 4* crew are not yet immortalized), I've been thinking this situation will eventually become my reality too, since new crew are added much faster than crew slots. I also think crew slots are insanely overpriced, even when there is a sale, so I refuse to buy them on principle.

1/5: 65
    2/5: 33
    3/5: 13
    4/5: 14

Total non-FF 5*: 125
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[GoT] LuckyNumberHat I feel I can help you, but be warned, what I have to tell you is not an easy or quick fix. If you are interested, I would ask you send me a PM.
  • Options
    ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭
    This piqued my curiosity as well.
    1/5: 51
    2/5: 13
    3/5: 2
    4/5: 3
    5/5: 8
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I have had the same thoughts, I also haven't much cared, as I freeze purples in lieu of better gold replacements when they come in, fuzed or not.

My current roster of 260 available crew slots:

1/5* – 98
    2/5* – 40
    3/5* – 14
    4/5* – 13
    5/5* – 20

1/4* – 6
    2/4* – 0
    3/4* – 1
    4/4* – 68

I think it is important to include the purples in this equation simply for the sake of saying, "they are taking up valuable space." All the active purples are also 3 skill, all 2 skill went to the freezer a long time ago.
    Most active purple never get used, and I call them 'placeholders', so when the next gold comes along (I'm looking at you Loken) I just grab the purple with the lowest skill that I know never gets use, and freeze them.

Also important to note, I have 2 duplicate golds, because I just couldn't airlock them, (which I have in the past) and the 5/5 versions are too useful to freeze.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you got me curious enough to go count them:

1/5: 77
    2/5: 25
    3/5: 14
    4/5: 8
    5/5: Cmdr Kira, de Neuf, Evil Picard, Durango

But I've also got 82 free crew slots, and a bunch of 4/4 and 3/4 (easy to cite to 4/4) purples waiting to be levelled and frozen, so I'll be good for a while. Mainly I've snapped up a bunch of extra slots when they've been on sale and I've had the dilithium lying around and there's been nobody in the event that week I wanted to get packs for, and I'm ruthless in freezing folks - anyone outside the top nine of their stat, right into the freezer. I've probably frozen a bunch of crew who'd be useful in voyages or something because I can't be bothered looking into the finer points of their combinations of stats or whatever, but I'm trying to keep this casual.

So yeah, okay for now, but if I was playing more competitively and not just freezing everyone in sight it'd start to become an issue. I don't feel like it's something DB's going to change though, it seems kind of like it's intentional - either discard crew (don't wanna) or get more slots (wallets open, boys). Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at them - I've seen plenty of worse examples of games designed to force players into spending - but still, it's a 'free' to play game, it's built in that there are going to be obstacles where the easy solution has a price tag.
  • Options
    Kaitee wrote: »
    I don't feel like it's something DB's going to change though, it seems kind of like it's intentional - either discard crew (don't wanna) or get more slots (wallets open, boys).

Completely agree, except there's a third option: lose interest. And it might just be that for them, the money of the first two options outweighs the money lost by the third option. But that's life, I guess.
  • Options
    I think it is important to include the purples in this equation simply for the sake of saying, "they are taking up valuable space."

Tallying up everything that is easily frozen at this moment, I've got room for another ~60 crew. So, looks like I've got about a year for them to find me a way out.

• Options
    MirrorVerse JcMirrorVerse Jc ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Curious as well,
    1/5 8
    2/5 50
    3/5 51
    4/5 51
    Not including immortal 5* not the discussion point.
    3/4 4
    2/4 3
    I make room by freezing most of my 4* or below. Unless they are needed for voyages or have spectacular 5* skill lvl on a 4* crew, (there are a few), they are froze.

The most simple option much requested in many threads lately, but not likely, is to increase the 5* droprate. The 5* crew aren't are not as valuable as they used to be in a general sense there are so many now. There are alot of suggestions above but most simply increase the droprate and then we can freeze those that dont stack up or are decrepit legendaries.

Edit/add: upon further thought we didnt used to have a vault, and we didnt used to have warp on cadets or any complete missions so freezing crew was not possible for both reasons. In fairness DB did, at one time, address the issue. But that is long passed and now overdue for some sort of solution.
    As others have pointed out it is a card collecting game. We cant continue to collect if we cant fully fuse and freeze.
    As @Data1001 points out, When i get lucky enough to get a behold, i usually choose the character crew that i dont have just to COLLECT them. Isnt that the point?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been at least one of the people calling for the ability to freeze fully equipped legendaries of any fusion level. If that opens things up too much, then at least let 3/5* and 4/5* crew be frozen.

Here’s my list. With some 4* crew thawed out for the event, I’m sitting at 206/225 slots.

5/5* - 31
    4/5* - 13
    3/5* - 12
    2/5* - 27 FE, 5 unleveled
    1/5* - 44 FE, 29 unleveled
    4/4* - 24 FE, 1 unleveled
    3/4* - 3 unleveled
    2/4* - 2 FE, 1 unleveled
    1/4* - 5 unleveled
    3/3* - 2 FE, 1 unleveled
    1/3* - 1
  • Options
    PinkyfirstPinkyfirst ✭✭✭
    Well, like many others it had me curious as well and I was genuinely surprised:
    1/5: 43
    2/5: 24
    4/5: 17
    5/5: 63
    As I was looking at all the unfinished legendaries, so many of them don't really add anything to my crew and a lot of my finished ones I could freeze and wouldn't effect my gameplay.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    My Legendaries include...

5/5 — 40
    4/5 — 9
    3/5 — 14
    2/5 — 27
    1/5 — 83

So there are a sizable number that will probably never be fully fused, unless I'm still playing this game 3 or 4 years down the road. :p However, partly due to the fact that I feel like I've got a good solid crew contingent, in the past year I've been less concerned about immortalizing the Legendaries I've already got, and more focused on acquiring new ones that I still really want to add to my roster. (And most of those aren't because of stats, but just because I really love the character and/or dig the artwork.) So I've passed up opportunities in Beholds that others might perhaps think foolish. Case in point: recently passed on a 5th star for Benny Russell in order to get a first copy of Gunslinger Uhura. ;)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/5 I have 74. Other gold I have 42, but about half are 2 star and only a few are 4 or 5.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/5 64
    2/5 25
    3/5 17
    4/5 14
    5/5 25
  • Options
    mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Totally agree with the original point. Its getting quite meaningless to continue collecting 1/5*. They really do need to allow them to get frozen or have a more meaningful recycle conversation rate (at 550 honor, you would need 91 1/5 cards to get 1 gold cite.... maybe a 10:1 conversation rate would be actually realistic...)

Here are my stats
    1/5 - 66
    2/5 - 31
    3/5 - 12
    4/5 - 11

And to reiterate the point of the original post, this is a card collecting game... it seems counter intuitive to have one of the monetisation mechanisms to be a limit of how many cards you can collect... They could simply allow FE 1/5s to be frozen and just apply a steep penalty to unfreeze them 1000 merits?
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Current roster, filling 232/245 crew slots:

1/5* – 56 (2 non-FE)
    2/5* – 28
    3/5* – 17
    4/5* – 05
    5/5* – 19

1/4* – 04 (all non-FE, including one Bynar)
    2/4* – 05 (all non-FE, including the other Bynar and one Coffee Janeway)
    3/4* – 07 (5 non-FE)
    4/4* – 89 (1 non-FE Coffee Janeway)

3/3* – 02

As I finish equipping each 1/5*, I usually freeze a 4/4* with a comparable skillset, unless the purple’s stats/traits are just too good (e.g. Robin Hood, Tierran Kes, &c.) 🖖🏻

EDIT: I do not have any duplicate cards.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    I just passed my 3-year anniversary and here are my numbers:

5/5 - 24
    4/5 - 6
    3/5 - 3
    2/5 - 20
    1/5 - 34
    This list includes 2 duplicates (Guinan @ 5/5 & 1/5 and Mirror Picard @ 5/5 and 4/5.)

I rarely compete for the event 5* so my numbers are a lot lower than most.
  • Options
    KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Wall of text, but yes. DB needs to do more about this. I know they rely on whales, but us $20 a month guys need love, too.
    Campaign is a good start, but after a few years we need a way to at least have hope to build these legandaries in our crew.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone in this thread is bragging, but when you look at the totality of it (and consider all the newer players that might be reading this), it kind of seems that way. Chin up, newer folks! Just remember that ~50% of all these legendary cards we're toting around are nearly useless due to power creep. Just snag the new ones when you can and you won't be very far behind! OK, that's the best morale booster I've got for tonight. Here's my summary, in keeping with the theme:

1/5 - 77
    2/5 - 39
    3/5 - 15
    4/5 - 18
    5/5 - 23
    275 total slots, about 10-15 open during non-mega weeks.

I confess that I still have not frozen all my 3* crew. Waiting for a time when I am absolutely jammed to the gills with no other options. Have 9 of them active, but only 7 are freezable (Kang and Mendon needed for arena).
  • Options
    KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Katla wrote: »
    Wall of text, but yes. DB needs to do more about this. I know they rely on whales, but us $20 a month guys need love, too.
    Campaign is a good start, but after a few years we need a way to at least have hope to build these legandaries in our crew.

To add - I'm no longer buying 10x10 offers. I have my purples nearly complete. I need gold stars. At present, I have nearly 200000 honor saved. Which is great for one or two of the 80 I need immortalized or at least added to.
    Give me and most of us an excuse to keep spending our money.
  • Options
    Oops, 114 1/5*. Guess that's what I get for picking the "Not owned" option every time.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped buying the 10 pulls, too. I have 40 ten pulls and 128 single premium pulls just from events and campaigns the past two months or so waiting for the update. But there is really no point to buying them. My hope is that the update will get me most of the last 4* I need. The rest I hope will give me enough honor to cite a 5*.
  • Options
    VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Oops, 114 1/5*. Guess that's what I get for picking the "Not owned" option every time.

The same here

1/5 - 88
    5/5 - 5

What am I ever gonna do with these?

(2/5 - 18, 3/5 - 12, 4/5 - 4)