Home The Bridge
Options

The Thing Most Likely to End My STT Career is an Army of 1/5*s

Comments

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my list. I've subdivided things a little since not all 1/5's are the same. My Bashir Crew for example can fill collections, do work in the Gauntlet and fill unusual roles on top of being a popular main cast crew member.

58 1/5
    Useful Gauntlet - 13
    Collections - 5
    Main Cast - 46 (8 with unusual stat lines)
    Very Limited Use - 7
    20 2/5
    Useful Gauntlet - 4
    Collections - 4
    Main Cast - 19 (5 with unusual stat lines)
    Very Limited Use - 1
    10 3/5
    Useful Gauntlet - 1
    Collections - 5
    Main Cast - 9 (3 with unusual stat lines)
    Very Limited Use - 1

Main cast may also refer to recurring characters such as Mama Troi or Garak.
    Unusual stats may refer to crew who have abnormal stats like Survivalist Kirk (SCI/ENG) or Falcon O'Brien (very high SEC).

VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like jumping back in. :)

I'm mostly with @Paladin 27 . I don't want to see a drastic change. The Decrepit Legendaries would be a small change. A small increase in honor return for airlocked crew would be ok. Or a small decrease in cost of citations. Not both and no more than 10% change. Expanding the rank reward of multiple copies of legendaries is acceptable, as long as it doesn't go too far. After all, the stat bump from 1/5 to 2/5 is pretty small.

Freezing 1/5's would be entirely too drastic. Getting extra honor for airlocking a FE'd legendary would be better. Maybe an extra 100 honor? You got to use it for however long you had it, so it's not like it wasn't worth your effort to obtain it in the first place.

@(HGH)Apollo , you make a good point about "just because players had to deal with it doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed." (I'm paraphrasing.) But it's also an oversimplification. If something is changed drastically after players pay or spend a lot of effort to deal with something, then there is a risk of alienating them. To get the player base behind the change, it needs to be handled in a way that either recognizes or rewards their effort, or is small or gradual, or benefits players who dealt with it more than players who did not. It's not that the problem shouldn't be addressed, it's that it should be handled in a way that does not cause hard feelings. (You might read that as "does not cause players to stop spending.")
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I am KirokI am Kirok ✭✭✭
    You can't change a core mechanic of the game by letting people freeze 1/5's. That's ridiculous. Whales who are DB's bread and butter will be up in arms and many will leave. They would rightly feel cheated.

My solution is to take advantage of power creep. Already the player base ranks golds (big book of beholds). Many golds are pretty much useless.

What DB CAN do is get those golds to drop more, either through some sort of new game feature or give out citations based on the years of the cards (gold cite for 2016 crew only). That would allow medium spending players to free up crew space and the whales would still dominate by paying for the newest 5/5's.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if we need to start considering adjusting our mindsets. The majority of people have a mindset that a legend should NEVER be air locked, but that might not be a practical long-term solution. Historically we've been willing to airlock weaker SR's while we build up the stronger ones, then only keep the weaker/non-event SR's when we're mostly done with them all.

To some degree we should probably consider the same with legends, though it seems a shame since they only return 550 honor and are so rare to drop, but if they're so weak to be impractical for use we're attaching emotional value to them rather than practical. I'm sure I am not the only one who's collected some legends just because I want to use them in next week's event and have a better chance at ranking (especially galaxies where the few event crew are important to SR component drops).

One, Captain Laforge, Captain Silva Laforge, Frederick Laroque, would be some easy decisions from my own crew off the top of my head.

We know part of the drive to spend on this game is through crew slot limitations. Either spending Dil to get faction event crew and freeze them, or buying more slots, etc. Not every Legend is created equal, and I think this can be part of a (though not the only) solution.
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    1/5 - 91
    2/5 - 27
    3/5 - 16
    4/5 - 11
    5/5 - 16

Please give me a way to get older Legendaries DB. I have far too many sitting there. I will say that I am slowly starting to break through after like 3 years of playing.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL;DR summary - tweak the honor drops to improve our ability to cite more cards more often.

Chiming back into the thread. I have my own army of 1/5 cards (as documented earlier), and I have enough crew depth and event-related resources to win a new 1/5 in every event. But I don't agree that being able to freeze them is a good idea. Players of all spending levels have made strategic decisions about chasing, acquiring, keeping, DYC'ing, citing, and begold-selecting various 5* cards based on the current game mechanics. DB has made an effort to lessen the crew slot pressure by gifting free crew slots, offering sales, and enabling warping of cadet challenges to allow freezing 2*/3* crew. The honor system was introduced to enable us to FF cards that we are otherwise unable to win or spend to get to FF. This system has been great for low/non-spending players, since honor is available in so many ways. However, it is simply too slow for the current state of the game (despite the various ways it has been increased since its intro).

Some suggestions that could improve overall satisfaction without radically changing the overall game mechanics or substantially de-valuing the investment that larger-spenders make in the game:

- adding more honor to the event rewards (rank and threshold; and not just at the top end of either scale).
    - increasing the dismissal rate for legendaries (as has been discussed since day 1).
    - increasing the drop rate in voyages (which can be done via a tweak to the percentages at all durations as well as adding the "decrepit legendaries" to the 8+ hour loot table).
    - add small amounts of honor to the gauntlet loot boxes (e.g., 50/100/200 honor instead of blue/purple/gold trainers?).
    - 1000 credits AND 50 honor for winning an arena battle (scaling up for the top ranks just like the credits do).

I'm sure there are other good ideas. In fact, I'm sure I've read them on the forums already. If you are not willing to spend serious money in the game, you should not expect to FF every card. However, it's clear that players are getting further behind in being able to FF enough cards to feel like they are "winning" the card-collecting aspect of the game.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is only around 10-15% of my overall game strategy, but here is a potential solution I offer up in the spirit of goodwill:

Events are fun, and when you do well in an event, you get a 5* crew at 1/5 fusion. There is no rule that says you are obligated to keep that 1/5 legend you just won. If you want it for next week, if you want it because it is cool or fills some other niche for you, keep it, but otherwise just airlock it for 550 Honor and use that toward citing up a crew you want to immortalize. That is what I do.

Don't think of that 5* crew as a burden, think of it as a 550 Honor piñata.

The endless army of FF 1/5 crew is only a problem if you see it that way, if you see it as an opportunity it will be a positive boon.
  • Options
    I can see this becoming a problem for me too in the not too distant future.

I think your option on this probably depends on what you play the game for. If you play to compete in events and just want the strongest crew, airlocking 5*s you don't want is probably no issue. If you are a player that can/is prepared to spend a lot of money on the game then buying more and more slots is probably not issue.

I think this problem is mostly confined to players like myself who play the game to collect the cards and are not in a position to spend alot if any real money. My entire enjoyment of this game comes for trying to collect all the cards. I've been playing for nearly 11 months and I've immortalized all the 1* and 2* crew (aside from Stargazer Picard and the EMH mk1 who I'll get when I think I can spare the Honor and have space for them), and I've immortalized nearly all the 3*s.

Having to airlock 4*s because I had run out of crew slots has been a minor annoyance, because they're not all that easy to come by. Especially at the beginning. However I'm now at a point where I can usually get to 8 hours on a voyage and I'm clearing the thresholds almost every event, so they now come in at a steady stream.

5* crew however are a different story. They are hard enough to get hold of in the first place, let alone immortalize. They are also the strongest crew and the ones you need to keep around to use for events and voyages to get more crew. I've immortalized 2 5* crew so far but there is no chance of me freezing them as I use them all the time. This exacerbates the problem as (at least for now) once I get a 5* crew they are not leaving my crew as they are either 1/5 and pretty useless or they get cited/I get extra copies and they are among my most important crew.

Now I realize that as a player who doesn't spend money on this game all I contribute to it as far a the developers are concerned is ad revenue, and it may be that it therefore doesn't matter to them if players like myself continue to play the game or not. However if I get to the point where I'm having to airlock 5* that I've either put a lot of effort into an event to get, or that I've been excited to get out of a pack then I'm not going to want to play the game anymore.

As I say I play this game to collect the cards. Voyages, gauntlets and events are all means to an end to get more cards.

-

Personally I don't think that freezing unfused cards is viable it's just not how the game works and would be a bit weird.

I think the best solution would be to do away with crew slots entirely (or if there needs to be a practical limit have it be more than there are cards in the game).

I appreciate that a lot of players have spent money/Dil on unlocking slots and they wouldn't be happy to suddenly have that just not matter anymore, but there could be a compensation scheme that you get something for the slots you have unlocked.

Maybe a new crew could be added to the game who for some convoluted in game lore reason does away with crew slots and the more slots you've unlocked the more copies you get (with packs or Dil or something as intermediate rewards so you don't give people who've unlock say 10 tiers of slots 10 copies of the same card).

That way if you've unlocked extra slots in the past then as well as having had the use of those slots for all the time you have had them you also get something extra once they are no longer needed.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...maybe in time, having a crew of all 1/5s will become a status symbol like having a deck made up only of the old black border cards in "magic: the gathering" - totally cosmetic and probably hurts your overall gameplay, but cooooooool to look at? :)
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    There is no rule that says you are obligated to keep that 1/5 legend you just won. If you want it for next week, if you want it because it is cool or fills some other niche for you, keep it, but otherwise just airlock it for 550 Honor and use that toward citing up a crew you want to immortalize. That is what I do.

I used to do this but now it takes a little more work to get top 1500. Hell, it used to be easy to get top 1000 in a faction event if you had decent bonus crew.

Nowadays I only put forth the extra effort if I want the crew in question. I haven't really tried since I got Neelix a couple months ago. I think getting a 4/5 Saboteur Garak burned me out a little. I wouldn't have minded Owosekun but other commitments prevented me from spending extra game time in the game.

Having said that I'm looking forward to the new Vash. I assume that DB will at least give us something decent to fight for?
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options

The endless army of FF 1/5 crew is only a problem if you see it that way, if you see it as an opportunity it will be a positive boon.

To be clear, I don't think of it as a burden or a problem. I definitely see competing in an event to get 550 honor as not a lot of fun. And since events are the central part of the game, that equates to a large part of the game being not a lot of fun. (I'm not partial to tapping for tapping's sake.)
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear, I don't think of it as a burden or a problem. I definitely see competing in an event to get 550 honor as not a lot of fun. And since events are the central part of the game, that equates to the events being not a lot of fun. (I'm partial to tapping for tapping's sake.)

I like Tapping too, Amanda Tapping was great in Stargate.

4iwm6o37684e.jpg
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have airlocked a few legendary crew because of lack of crew space (before I hit VIP Level 12), poor stats, and little likelihood of featuring in an event. In one case, I slightly regret it -- Maid Marian Vash, since she has few variants and will be featured next week. In the other cases -- Dr. Noonian Soong, Merry Man Worf, Grilka, Bateson, and maybe one other, I've never looked back. I'm starting to get tight on crew slots again, for the reasons discussed in this thread, and I'm thinking about creating an airlock list of legendaries. Some top contenders:
    • Layna
    • Captain Silva La Forge
    • Temporal Agent Daniels
    • One
    • Frederick La Rouque
    • Senator Vreenak
    • Minuet (even though she's at 4/5 stars)
    • Satan's Robot
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    I have airlocked a few legendary crew because of lack of crew space (before I hit VIP Level 12), poor stats, and little likelihood of featuring in an event. In one case, I slightly regret it -- Maid Marian Vash, since she has few variants and will be featured next week. In the other cases -- Dr. Noonian Soong, Merry Man Worf, Grilka, Bateson, and maybe one other, I've never looked back. I'm starting to get tight on crew slots again, for the reasons discussed in this thread, and I'm thinking about creating an airlock list of legendaries. Some top contenders:
    • Layna
    • Captain Silva La Forge
    • Temporal Agent Daniels
    • One
    • Frederick La Rouque
    • Senator Vreenak
    • Minuet (even though she's at 4/5 stars)
    • Satan's Robot

Wait till we find out what trait gives bonus for the upcoming mega. Temporal Agent Davis was not in an event and has temporal agent trait which is rare. One is a Borg and gives bonus in Borg events. Senator Vreenak has a sound clip which is incredibly rare. Minuet has some uses and never airlock a 4/5. Satan's Robot is part of a cryo collection. In my opinion your best airlock choices would be Layna, then Silva La Forge, then Frederick La Roque.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear, I don't think of it as a burden or a problem. I definitely see competing in an event to get 550 honor as not a lot of fun. And since events are the central part of the game, that equates to the events being not a lot of fun. (I'm partial to tapping for tapping's sake.)

It's all a state of mind, enjoy the journey, not the final destination, you will be a lot happier.

All this requires is a shift in thinking. Pivot from your stated goal of collecting cards to the new goal of being as strong as possible, it requires a change in approach from thinking week-to-week to one of thinking year-to-year. It takes discipline, but the rewards are noticeable.

"I definitely see competing in an event to get 550 honor as not a lot of fun. And since events are the central part of the game, that equates to the events being not a lot of fun. "

You are not competing in an event to get 550 Honor, you are participating in an event to earn either a crew that you want or to make 1.1% progress toward citing up a crew you you have identified as one that will help you. And to get to that point you also would have had to earn a straight drop of 1,500 Honor (3% progress) and a 10x Premium Pack which on average gives 700 Honor (or thereabouts, which is 1.4% progress). So securing the 5* rank reward will at worst case grant a total of 5.5% progress toward your real goal, which is not bad at all for a couple days' worth of playing a game, especially since you are not required to devote 100% of your attention to it.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

It's all a state of mind, enjoy the journey, not the final destination, you will be a lot happier.

All this requires is a shift in thinking. Pivot from your stated goal of collecting cards to the new goal of being as strong as possible, it requires a change in approach from thinking week-to-week to one of thinking year-to-year. It takes discipline, but the rewards are noticeable.

"I definitely see competing in an event to get 550 honor as not a lot of fun. And since events are the central part of the game, that equates to the events being not a lot of fun. "

You are not competing in an event to get 550 Honor, you are participating in an event to earn either a crew that you want or to make 1.1% progress toward citing up a crew you you have identified as one that will help you. And to get to that point you also would have had to earn a straight drop of 1,500 Honor (3% progress) and a 10x Premium Pack which on average gives 700 Honor (or thereabouts, which is 1.4% progress). So securing the 5* rank reward will at worst case grant a total of 5.5% progress toward your real goal, which is not bad at all for a couple days' worth of playing a game, especially since you are not required to devote 100% of your attention to it.

That logic certainly works for a Skirmish event and maybe flies for a Faction event if you don’t use too many time reducers but it does not make sense in a Galaxy at all. 10,000 chrons, a bunch of other resources, and a couple thousand taps closer to thumb arthritis are completely not worth 550 honor. I mean, there are multiple people who don’t think 200 honor a day is worth clearing daily missions...never mind 550 a week for way more work.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

That logic certainly works for a Skirmish event and maybe flies for a Faction event if you don’t use too many time reducers but it does not make sense in a Galaxy at all. 10,000 chrons, a bunch of other resources, and a couple thousand taps closer to thumb arthritis are completely not worth 550 honor. I mean, there are multiple people who don’t think 200 honor a day is worth clearing daily missions...never mind 550 a week for way more work.

In that case, don't push hard in the Galaxy event, I rarely do.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    It's just so difficult to immortalize any legendary you get in an event unless you spend a ton of money. Even if you spend $14 a month for monthly card and campaign, save up your dilithium for two months and buy ten event packs to try to immortalize one of the eight event legendaries over those two months you still have a high chance of getting zero event legendaries. When this happens what have you gained from saving up your dilithium for two months? If you instead spend 6500 for the fancy event pack that guarantees one event legendary you are not much better off. If you get lucky and get two event legendaries from event packs you still need 100,000 honor to finish it.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    It's just so difficult to immortalize any legendary you get in an event unless you spend a ton of money. Even if you spend $14 a month for monthly card and campaign, save up your dilithium for two months and buy ten event packs to try to immortalize one of the eight event legendaries over those two months you still have a high chance of getting zero event legendaries. When this happens what have you gained from saving up your dilithium for two months? If you instead spend 6500 for the fancy event pack that guarantees one event legendary you are not much better off. If you get lucky and get two event legendaries from event packs you still need 100,000 honor to finish it.

Well, I immortalized Dr. Pollard after winning her in the previous event for use in this last one. Didn't spend $ or dilithium, just honor and a citation from the previous campaign. You can advance without spending tons of cash in this game, but you'll be spending something else instead: time. The choice is yours.
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Well, I immortalized Dr. Pollard after winning her in the previous event for use in this last one. Didn't spend $ or dilithium, just honor and a citation from the previous campaign. You can advance without spending tons of cash in this game, but you'll be spending something else instead: time. The choice is yours.

You got high enough in rank to get her 4/5 and you are saying you didn't spend lots of cash? You spent months saving up chrons and ignoring events? You didn't buy chrons? All that clicking on a galaxy, did your thumbs fall off?

7ejyg1ts7du1.jpg
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

You got high enough in rank to get her 4/5 and you are saying you didn't spend lots of cash? You spent months saving up chrons and ignoring events? You didn't buy chrons? All that clicking on a galaxy, did your thumbs fall off?

7ejyg1ts7du1.jpg

I ranked high enough to win one copy. Spent citation and honor enough to add four more stars. I'm able to do that about once every two months now with only spending $ on campaigns.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ranked high enough to win one copy. Spent citation and honor enough to add four more stars. I'm able to do that about once every two months now with only spending $ on campaigns.

Yups, one citation can be earned with honor in a month + one citation from the campaign. So in case we are very keen to immortalize a specific card it can be done without much cash in 2 months.

• Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine. In those same two months, I will get up to 8 new gold crew from events and with the pulls from the campaigns and possible other pulls and free gifts, I will likely get at least 1 more. It is not just that we are hard-pressed to keep up. It is impossible to keep up.

Yes, if a) you are a hardcore collector and b) you furthermore intend to immortalize every gold you get it surely is hard to keep up. Hence it comes down to making choices and liking. At least for me.

I don´t want and need every card DB releases (but I know many like to play STT Pokémon style). I have my favourite characters. And even if I have a favourite sometimes the artwork puts me off etc.

So I am choisy in which events I attack for 1500 at least. Which also makes it easier to have the needed resources in the backhand when an event/card really interests me.

Also art and name aside many cards are only a variation of another card we already have. And even FE/FF they would do nothing to improve my crew. In such cases I am perfectly content to have that card at 1 star "only". In case it is a variant of one of my favs it will still be helpful enough in Faction events where that character gives a bonus.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5/5 - 83
    4/5 - 0
    3/5 - 0
    2/5 - 0
    1/5 - 0