Home The Bridge

The BIG One! (A Collection of Game Improvement Ideas) Please Read :)

Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in The Bridge
I've hinted at this project on these forums for over a month now, and today is the day I'm finally unleashing it! I took my time to make sure I did not forget anything I had mentally noted for inclusion, for a few last-minute ideas to make it on the list, and to make sure I hit a base level of quality in communicating my ideas.

Before I begin, I would like to acknowledge that strictly speaking this might be a Make It So! sub-forum post, but I chose to post it in The Bridge for several reasons, and I hope it stays here. Primarily, I chose The Bridge because The Bridge is my home, I check in on this sub-forum at all hours of the day most days, and this where I exist on the forums. I also feel that this belongs here because I've tried to take these beyond mere suggestions and expand on them to make them more tangible, more of a community building effort and as such, The Bridge is where we exist as a community, and I very much want to encourage people to take these ideas and run with them, comment on them, engage others with them, etc.

I have observed on these forums in the past a general expression that some have made that whenever players make suggestions for game improvements or share their idea to make changes that some feel like communicating that they feel these suggestions are complaints, and I would like to state at the outset that these are NOT complaints, and if you feel that way I encourage you to keep those feelings to yourself or express this belief to me privately. Speaking on behalf of those select few who have had the courage to share new ideas on the forums, we do so NOT out of negativity or to complain, but because we actually have hope that we can build off the positive momentum created by other game improvements. I cannot speak for everyone but working on these ideas takes a lot of time and mental energy, and that is simply not something a person does when complaining, we are emboldened to take our own free time and expend it in such a way as to try and make a better experience for everyone, and that is what I intend for this thread.

To that end I want to personally express to DB and everyone that works on this game that I have been very pleased with many of the new additions, features, and changes to the game. Your willingness to listen and constantly work to make improvements has been great, and if anything has served as the inspiration for me to work on this project because I have faith that you are always on the lookout for ways to improve the game. The recent additions of The Borg faction, Campaigns, new game chapters, crew selection, etc (I know I'm forgetting several!) have all enhanced the game experience, and I present this in part as a gift for you to try and help you carry the burden of coming up with new ideas.

And finally, I would like to thank several people who have helped me on this project. First and foremost, @Banjo1012 for listening to me and giving me someone to bounce ideas off of, it was very helpful :) Next to @Prime LorQa [10F] both for pushing me hard in recent weeks to up my game and for being open to collaboration and idea sharing - I decided to post this a day early to vacate Tuesday for you :) I would also like to thank @Flemming and @DavideBooks for your contributions ALL the way back in the Replicator thread, and for encouraging me to express my creativity. @Haere Lintesereg also deserves a thank you for encouraging my creative expressions :) There are too many others to thank as literally dozens of you have been very cool to me over the many months I've been on here, but I'd like to single out @Lady Gaghgagh for being the gold-standard for forum excellence; your example on how to be both professional and respectful on the forums has been my inspiration since my first day to try and match you.

It is my hope that these ideas inspire players both to dream of what might be but also to engage with you on them to see if we cannot make them better. As such I want to personally encourage EVERYONE who reads this to express your thoughts. There is admittedly a LOT here to unpack as quite a few of these idea could EASILY warrant their own threads, but I definitely want to hear from everyone here, so please comment. Also, if somebody wants to take a specific idea and run with it in a new thread that is great!

I have attached a copy of the finished work in Word format to allow people to download it and read it that way, but after I submit this thread here in a moment I will do my best to copy/paste it into the replies to make it more accessible to everyone. Here then is the Table of Contents:

I. Gauntlet
A. Preview Skill Pairing
B. Reward Tokens
C. Dilithium Refreshes
II. Cryostasis Vault
A. Merits
B. Cryo Cruise
III. “And” Shuttles
IV. Offers
V. Committee
VI. Inventory
A. Sorting
B. Purging
VII. Arena
A. Rival Crew
B. Defense
VIII. Packs
A. Consolidation
B. Save Feature
C. Calendar Year Packs
IX. Voyage Traits
A. Dilithium Skip
B. Logical Trait Pairings
X. Voyage Improvements
A. Boosts
B. Drafted Crew
C. Ship Levels
XI. Faction Rep
XII. Faction Shuttles
XIII. Ferengi
XIV. Timelines Originals/Small Factions
XV. Holograms
XVI. Siege (New Event)
XVII. Patrols (New Feature)
XVIII. Replimat (New Feature)
XIX. Fleets
XX. Minuet
XXI. Tuesdays
XXII. Story Replay
XXIII. Crew Sorting
XXIV. DYC
XXV. Faction Events

Comments

• Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing work. I completely agree with Voyage ships, I think the whole aspect of how some ships are treated in this game needs a rework. I don't want to rely on the same three ships all the time and would be nice to add some variety in my dispatched voyages.
  • Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭
    Your title scared me. For a sec i thought DB announces some new things in game and i was really happy. I need some sleep :) . But i like your proposals.
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    Well, Minuet has 4 sec +9 evasion, so she’s not absolutely useless, but in other aspects I agree.

And of course I support the idea of pre-programmed timings in arena. All other ideas are good too, so I just go on the one I really don’t like - breaking back the AND shuttles. In my logic AND in such cases means equality of parts, so if it’s DIP/SEC - DIP should have the same influence as SEC. On the other hand, a new mode can be made, like “more important skill + less important skill”
  • I applaud the effort it took to assemble this list. I haven't read through it all but I wanted to put down some initial thoughts so I don't forget later.

On inventory management: make the inventory sortable/searchable or at least make it display the same way as the replicator screen. Navigating from one to the other is too cumbersome right now.

And I didn't see any mention of Dabo, so let me know if I've missed it, but that needs some attention as well. I don't care if I never hit top row again, I'm just tired of getting items for crew that I've already immortalized or crew I never owned at all.
  • Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    I applaud the effort it took to assemble this list. I haven't read through it all but I wanted to put down some initial thoughts so I don't forget later.

On inventory management: make the inventory sortable/searchable or at least make it display the same way as the replicator screen. Navigating from one to the other is too cumbersome right now.

And I didn't see any mention of Dabo, so let me know if I've missed it, but that needs some attention as well. I don't care if I never hit top row again, I'm just tired of getting items for crew that I've already immortalized or crew I never owned at all.

Or crew that I've recently airlocked...
  • I am in awe of the effort involved in creating this post. Very impressive.
    I, for one, am completely for these ideas. I was doing my normal STT routine before the gym this morning, and realized how very unenthused I was. I had no specific crew to level, a voyage out, sent out random shuttles, not interested in a lackluster event (personally uninteresting) and then...blah. There wasn't much to look forward to besides getting Scimitar schematics. This post however, with its ideas, has me hoping DB definitely considers the QoL and new features you have suggested.
  • ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    That's an impressive collection of ideas, kudos for taking the time to compile it.

There are some very good ideas in there, not just because the concept is good, but also because they leverage existing mechanics in the game. This makes them easier to implement, in contrast to some of the good ideas that are all new mechanics.

I'm only going to pick 3 to talk about, my "top 3" as it were, not because there are only 3 good ideas.
    1. The Committee - EVE online did this, as have other games. Legal implications of things like NDAs etc can be time consuming, but having a recurring focus group to get feedback on and reduce the risk making decisions that can be time/resource consuming or not as profitable.
    2. Packs - Not a new discussion, but dealing with the ongoing dilution of the premium pool with more, and more and more cards, the risk/reward payoff gets worse over time. There's plenty of options for making money off this (10x "launch day" packs for 4.99 vs 10x "2017 packs" for 7.99 vs 10x "2019 packs" for 14.99).
    3. Preview & Skip/Next (Voyage/Gauntlet) - again, the skip function already exists in the gauntlet, but presenting the next pairs would be new. Maybe change the cost to an escalating one (Merits then Dil).
      For players with robust crews and hangers, not something they'd spend on, but for 25 dil, being able to skip the MED ENG Holographic Ship voyage for the DIP COM Federation Ship voyage? There'd be some takers. I'd go one step further and use it for beholds as well, but with perhaps a higher cost structure and/or without the preview.
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. It took me a long time to read that tome. Nice work. I generally agree with each idea, though some are more reasonable to expect and implement than others. Your weakest is 14. Your best is the siege (though it will never be done). A good half of the ideas are easy (should be) to fix quality of life issues and I hope they get implemented.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    <Reserved> comments pending - great work Bylo
    1) Gauntlet -
    (a)like the idea of preview next skill would help me decide who to use or whether to go for a merit refresh. But I guess it does depend whether it is completeley RNG after a face-off/merit refresh or whether it is more a predetermined cycle.
    (b&c) Perhaps Gauntlet should be part of a longer "competition" after all it is a "marathon" - we have trophies and tables why not a higher arenas with more chance of better rewards? Also in the loot tables why not introduce the chance of winning free revives or merit refreshes.

2 a&b) I'm not to fussed with the merit costing I like the careful planning it requires - obviously wouldn't complain if it was cheaper however. Cryo cruise is interesting I think what needs to be established is what happens when it returns can it be sent out again or pick new crew to go out does the cost remain the same, can it be recalled anytime or will there be a cooldown. Also given the nature of slots and inconsistency of immortalising numbers can the game engine even handle another method of storing crew (last question obviously a bit rhetorical).

3) AND shuttles - personally I've given up on this - but what I would prefer is some sort of assurance that faction events and the total number of mission successes across the board are functioning within normal parameters, and lets just read between the lines and take it as golden. No compensation necessary this ain't no PPI claim it affected everyone.

<more to follow as i go/have time>
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great ideas! One idea that I always wanted, and is similar to your replimat idea, is to have a random Ferengi trader on the map. They'd move from planet to planet each day and would have random things to trade. The catch is they would want certain things from the player in return. Some times the Ferengi would get the better of you in the trade and some times you'd get the better deal.

I also envision this as a way to get more HOLOEMITTERS!!! Sorry to yell that, but the scarcity of these is one of the most frustrating things in the game for me. Anything to make them more available for daily players would be most welcome.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Very well done, my friend! I will study this in depth more later, but at the onset, it looks fantastic!
    I think you just gave DB a whole month's worth of meeting notes to work on :smile:

I remember the Player Council as well @Travis S McClain – and I believe the disbandment was due both to the redundancy and some administrative changes on DB's side. It would be unlikely to ever get that back, as it would reveal proprietary information from DB to select few who sit on the Council, and if those few were put under NDA, it means the player base wouldn't get the info anyway.

I believe that all falls under Shan's job description (as well as at least one other) to peruse our concerns and ideas and bring them to DB's attention. I believe they are doing a great job on this, if understaffed.

There are yet more great ideas beyond what @ByloBand has presented and what DB is working on behind the scenes (I am guessing), so I look forward to all this game brings in the future, near and far.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the Player Council as well @Travis S McClain – and I believe the disbandment was due both to the redundancy and some administrative changes on DB's side. It would be unlikely to ever get that back, as it would reveal proprietary information from DB to select few who sit on the Council, and if those few were put under NDA, it means the player base wouldn't get the info anyway.

I believe that all falls under Shan's job description (as well as at least one other) to peruse our concerns and ideas and bring them to DB's attention. I believe they are doing a great job on this, if understaffed.

Becca said it was due to her having too many other things to deal with at the time. In any case, I think we've gotten by just fine without it, and concur that Shan has done a great job as our liaison.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...much to unpack here. I don’t have time to do it now but I wanted to say that I appreciate the time and effort that went into this. First impression is that there are a lot of great ideas here, I can’t wait to dig into them in more detail.