Home The Bridge
Options

The most amazing thing just happened.... Merry Glitchmas!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    A Blwyddyn Newydd Dda yn 2020 hefyd!!

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!!
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB, if this was unintended, please consider that the error (seemingly) affected all players equally.

I recommend saying that it was intentional and claiming credit, regardless. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou DB for this unexpected Christmas present.

Second star on Joan, and a nice bit of honor.

cxlc4q9mg5dt.jpg
  • Options
    If this was a genuine bug, then it is in the running for the most fortuitously timed mistake in history...

The other alternative explanations are (1) DB did it intentionally, or (2) Santa hacked DB's server on his way through Boston.

Since I don't think my belief in coincidences can stretch quite that far, and because I am one of the relatively few Americans who never believed in Santa,I will just say Thank You to DB.
  • Options
    TEACHER! You forgot to give us homework on the weekend!

😂😂😂
  • Options
    DB, if this was unintended, please consider that the error (seemingly) affected all players equally.

I recommend saying that it was intentional and claiming credit, regardless. :)

not really,some people could also claim the voyage rewards again (next to the cpt.level rewards),i could not. so maybe it affected all players,but in different ways-i need one final star for fierce guinan,so if this was intentional,i also want the voyage-rewards
    huy66cak82yd.jpg

beyond that, i really enjoyed this "present" since there was no present at all;)
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, it’s so obviously a bug it’s crazy. There is a huge level of self justification going on here.

Maybe DB will let us keep it, maybe they won’t. They could just hit every account with -100k honor, they’d be totally justified. Everyone will still get a free 10x premium pull.

I’m not even sure how I feel about it myself, 100k honor for free just seems like an awful lot, about 2 months of gameplay. I guess it doesn’t really matter.
  • Options
    It is dec 25th,
    It is during the 12 days advertisement,
    QOL updates being added now? soon? Both?,
    Upgrades to cpt lvl requested,
    Upgrades/additions to achievements requested,
    It would appear something was intentional (thank you DB), because updates or upgrades do not usually occur at this time of day, but did not roll out properly as some are reporting differing achievements being doubled or available for reclaim as if new.

Some ppl have spent it, some ppl have had varying rewards. It would be quite a task to sort out exactly who got what, and try to take it back. Or remove cites or crew gained by immediate spenders.
    It seems this is familiar to the “butter” Kirk debacle. Remember? Some ppl got 2/5 kirk, some ppl got 1/5, and some ppl got none. In the end they figured out who got none and gave 1/5 to those. Not perfect (because some had gotten 2/5), but effort acknowledged. They will likely take a week to decide what happened then Try to be fair. Sometimes DB can be reasonable.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is dec 25th,
    It is during the 12 days advertisement,
    QOL updates being added now? soon? Both?,
    Upgrades to cpt lvl requested,
    Upgrades/additions to achievements requested,
    It would appear something was intentional (thank you DB), because updates or upgrades do not usually occur at this time of day, but did not roll out properly as some are reporting differing achievements being doubled or available for reclaim as if new.

Some ppl have spent it, some ppl have had varying rewards. It would be quite a task to sort out exactly who got what, and try to take it back. Or remove cites or crew gained by immediate spenders.
    It seems this is familiar to the “butter” Kirk debacle. Remember? Some ppl got 2/5 kirk, some ppl got 1/5, and some ppl got none. In the end they figured out who got none and gave 1/5 to those. Not perfect (because some had gotten 2/5), but effort acknowledged. They will likely take a week to decide what happened then Try to be fair. Sometimes DB can be reasonable.

I think it would rank up there with the packs that gave out 1,000 dilithium and that fix was scary. They went in to try to take what people got from it after it was spent and some people were reporting they took more than what they got from it. That makes me hesitant to spend the honor on citations. I could end up losing half my crew for their mistake. Better to just hold on to the honor until some word is spoken from the powers that be.

• Options
    This was clearly a bug. What's equally clear is what will happen if DB tries to walk it back. The resulting number of rage quits would kill the game, swiftly & absolutely. The smartest thing DB can say about the bug is nothing at all. Given their history of producing bugs and mismanaging them once they do, that doesn't appear likely.
  • Options
    A bug like this on Christmas day, you people are yanking my chain.

Even if it is a bug, all players who benefited, have benefited equally, it has not given an unfair advantage to any player. DB would be a bit silly to waste man-hours rolling this bug back, when it has created a bit of goodwill to their customers.

DB has not lost money (unlike the dilithium bug) and have given us all a boost in honor, which is the most requested boost by the whingers here.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    It just wouldn't be the forums without a spirited debate even on Christmas haha well I for one think this was not a bug as.... Well... I haven't seen a Christmas message yet? DB always gave us a Christmas message so they had a big glitch (not expected) and didn't send out a Christmas message like always? Really? Seems to me a bit diffiult to rationalize this as a glitch and not a gift when ya put that into the equation, but that's just me.
  • Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Here's the thing, I've thought about this off-and-on today, and IMO everyone is kind of right, and to help explain it, I'll give a bit of a video game history lesson.

When Blizzard first rolled out WoW all those years ago, every player started with a 16 slot pack and then could find up to 4 additional bags ranging from 6 to 12 slots of additional space. As the game went on however players were required to collect and hold more and more stuff to the point where people were desperate to increase the size of the starting pack above 16. It was determined (or at least reported to players) that the 16 slot pack was so integral to the core coding of the game that it was not possible to increase the size of the pack without jeopardizing the entire game code, so instead they started allowing players to craft better and better bags using the tailoring skill with easier and easier recipes as a workaround.

Bringing this back to STT, I think the people who think this was a Christmas gift are correct, but I also think the people who think this is a bug are also correct.

My hypothesis is that as part of the QoL improvements we've been told about, an increase to captain level or maybe just an improvement in the achievement interface, but one of the coders realized that the only way to implement a change to that interface would have the unintended consequence of resetting the captain level achievements for everyone because that bit code was so integral to the structure of the game that it could not be avoided; realizing this a meeting was undoubtedly held and the decision was made to go ahead with the achievement interface upgrade with the knowledge that it would unleash a "bug" allowing players to collect a mountain of Honor from getting all the captain level achievement rewards, but to time it to occur on Christmas to make it a 2-for-1 (needed upgrade, player holiday gift).

TL;DR version: it is an unavoidable "bug" the company is aware of and they turned it into a gift, enjoy!

Hands down the best theory I've heard all day!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    @ByloBand this is what I was trying to say after @Ben Sisko ••••
    Pointed it out. Well done @ByloBand

That this was the first step in a fix. The new achievement that can be changed as DB needs is now there. Since this will probably lead to the removal of the old achievement too, DB turned it into a Christmas gift. By giving us all the the whole old achievement today. The new achievement gave us the ones below are level. The old one DB forced to level 99 giving everybody what was left of the old achievement.
  • Options
    WaldoMag wrote: »

That this was the first step in a fix. The new achievement that can be changed as DB needs is now there. Since this will probably lead to the removal of the old achievement too, DB turned it into a Christmas gift. By giving us all the the whole old achievement today. The new achievement gave us the ones below are level. The old one DB forced to level 99 giving everybody what was left of the old achievement.

I do wonder tho how this will play out for new accounts? Will they get the new achievement released the day they start playing? Will it not even show up? Regardless I'm glad I posted about this cause it was honest and after all the goodwill expressed by most people here I'm sure DB won't go and reverse this now. Plus it brings up good theories about what is coming for the QoL update in the future (credit to @ByloBand )
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭

I do wonder tho how this will play out for new accounts? Will they get the new achievement released the day they start playing? Will it not even show up? Regardless I'm glad I posted about this cause it was honest and after all the goodwill expressed by most people here I'm sure DB won't go and reverse this now. Plus it brings up good theories about what is coming for the QoL update in the future (credit to @ByloBand )

Hard to say, it will be wait and see if the old one is removed. If not, it may mean new players will start with the 100k honor and a x10 pull.
  • Options

Hard to say, it will be wait and see if the old one is removed. If not, it may mean new players will start with the 100k honor and a x10 pull.

That certainly would make it easier to start off and become competitive quicker for newer players so I hope they will leave it for them as I'm all for helping the noobs. It would probably get them to spend quicker.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Here's the thing, I've thought about this off-and-on today, and IMO everyone is kind of right, and to help explain it, I'll give a bit of a video game history lesson.

When Blizzard first rolled out WoW all those years ago, every player started with a 16 slot pack and then could find up to 4 additional bags ranging from 6 to 12 slots of additional space. As the game went on however players were required to collect and hold more and more stuff to the point where people were desperate to increase the size of the starting pack above 16. It was determined (or at least reported to players) that the 16 slot pack was so integral to the core coding of the game that it was not possible to increase the size of the pack without jeopardizing the entire game code, so instead they started allowing players to craft better and better bags using the tailoring skill with easier and easier recipes as a workaround.

Bringing this back to STT, I think the people who think this was a Christmas gift are correct, but I also think the people who think this is a bug are also correct.

My hypothesis is that as part of the QoL improvements we've been told about, an increase to captain level or maybe just an improvement in the achievement interface, but one of the coders realized that the only way to implement a change to that interface would have the unintended consequence of resetting the captain level achievements for everyone because that bit code was so integral to the structure of the game that it could not be avoided; realizing this a meeting was undoubtedly held and the decision was made to go ahead with the achievement interface upgrade with the knowledge that it would unleash a "bug" allowing players to collect a mountain of Honor from getting all the captain level achievement rewards, but to time it to occur on Christmas to make it a 2-for-1 (needed upgrade, player holiday gift).

TL;DR version: it is an unavoidable "bug" the company is aware of and they turned it into a gift, enjoy!

@ByloBand you are a genius my friend! I’m glad you use it for good and not evil.

It would be more fun if he used it for Evil.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

@ByloBand you are a genius my friend! I’m glad you use it for good and not evil.

It probably would be. Perhaps we should start campaigning for a Mirror ByloBand.
    Mirror Bylo would not be smart about what gold's he needs and airlocks ones he doesnt.....he just airlocks all crew

Or would it be he keeps all crew and refuses to get rid of any, since he would be the opposite of the prime universe, but not necesarily evil? And he would use Hollander Data as his av (from Boothyby Replicant).... Why you may ask?
    Straw hat replaced by cowboy hat
    Human replaced with Android
    Flower replaced with a gun
    Gardner replaced by gunslinger
    Wait then wouldnt he also really really really like Wesley?
    I'm having too much fun imagining this XD
  • Options

It probably would be. Perhaps we should start campaigning for a Mirror ByloBand.
    Mirror Bylo would not be smart about what gold's he needs and airlocks ones he doesnt.....he just airlocks all crew

Or would it be he keeps all crew and refuses to get rid of any, since he would be the opposite of the prime universe, but not necesarily evil? And he would use Hollander Data as his av (from Boothyby Replicant).... Why you may ask?

No, it would have to be a Ferengi for his avatar. I would say one of the more annoying ones, but they are all annoying.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Mirror Boothby would be Mr. Hand which would make Cadet Picard Jeff Spicoli

• Options

No, it would have to be a Ferengi for his avatar. I would say one of the more annoying ones, but they are all annoying.

In that case it would be Brunt I think....I know he was Combs but the guy was just all around annoying and also quite a PITA (something Bylo is not, did I just pay him a compliment by saying what he isn't?)
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

To a degree, I suppose. But I use Technician Rom as my avatar. He is honest and genuine and family-oriented. I like him. Additionally, I am a technician. Also, non-teanager Nog is good.
  • Options

To a degree, I suppose. But I use Technician Rom as my avatar. He is honest and genuine and family-oriented. I like him. Additionally, I am a technician. Also, non-teanager Nog is good.

Very true, the ferengi have a good honest side.....but brunt was definitely not part of it
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking as somewhat of an authority on the subject, I've put WAAAY too much thought into this (like, venn diagrams and everything) and without going into a huge essay on the subject, the STT character that IMO best incorporates the opposite of my three core traits/values is Brunt, FCA.
  • Options
    Speaking as somewhat of an authority on the subject, I've put WAAAY too much thought into this (like, venn diagrams and everything) and without going into a huge essay on the subject, the STT character that IMO best incorporates the opposite of my three core traits/values is Brunt, FCA.

How long an essay? 5000 words and all?