Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: The Game's Afoot (flashbackrunish) - 01/30

Comments

• Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad to see a return of the expedition format, and The Games Afoot was one of the best. I was not around for the first run but I was for the second and had already loved expeditions because a new player could rank if they were willing to devote the time (and a small amount of dilithium - well withen a monthly card budget. Nowadays, the free campaign track dil may be enough to suffice). In the era before gauranteed crits on star nodes and higher difficulty, there was even some strategy involved (do I risk wearing out this crew member to sweep up a missed node?).

I would also highly discourage grinding down each crew member to exhaustion before starting a new ticket. Running more tickets, scattered in ten to fifteen minute intervals, is far more efficent.

There are also a few lingering interface issues that I hope DB will address. The crew list needs to have event crew at the top like all the other event types. Also, it is not adequately explained by the in-game event information that the "cancel ticket" button will, since there is no ticket timelimit anymore, need to be pressed when the player wishes to recharge crew members and reset the star nodes.

I am glad that the first skirmish that I bothered to try to rank top 1500 in is the one that let me immortalize the Professor, who I got the first star on back after the first run of the event. Now I am taking him back to the holodeck for anouther go, this time with Dr. LaForge and a 2/5 Data in tow. It would be nice if we had a second 4* crew included to fit the current threshold/rank model though...even just throwing Victorian Pulaski in beacuse she fits the theme would be great.
  • Options
    Just been thawing event crew and I was very surprised to see that all Data's, save "Datalore Data", are 5*. He must be the most unvaried main cast member in terms of stars. Unless I am missing something and there is something wrong with my search?
  • Options
    There are 3 purple Datas; Friar Tuck, Prospero and Data Q. But yes, most of his cards are gold
  • Options
    There are 3 purple Datas; Friar Tuck, Prospero and Data Q. But yes, most of his cards are gold

Thank you. I have all of those and have now thawed them.

They really need to sort that search function.
  • Options
    ApaggApagg ✭✭✭

Hmm, all three appeared for me when I searched Data
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just been thawing event crew and I was very surprised to see that all Data's, save "Datalore Data", are 5*. He must be the most unvaried main cast member in terms of stars. Unless I am missing something and there is something wrong with my search?

No, you're right, according to the wiki, 71% of "Data" cards are legendary, and that's taking into account the 2* one. If we're ignoring it, 76% of Datas are not super rares.

He's not alone in that situation, 75% of all event-worthy Spocks are legendary. We could definitely use more super rare Spocks and Datas.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Apagg wrote: »

Hmm, all three appeared for me when I searched Data

I had manually scrolled down to "Data" and they weren't listed alongside the others. I usually find the scroll function better for finding similar cards.

(Default sort and scroll)

*Edited for clarity
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »

No, you're right, according to the wiki, 71% of "Data" cards are legendary, and that's taking into account the 2* one. If we're ignoring it, 76% of Datas are not super rares.

He's not alone in that situation, 75% of all event-worthy Spocks are legendary. We could definitely use more super rare Spocks and Datas.

Bit of trivia. There is a Spock for every rarity. To date there has never been a 3* Data. We just got Worf holding up his underwear. But some how no Blue Data... Kinda weird, no?
  • Options
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Thought about it all week and I have decided to bow out of this event, my dislike of Expeditions is stronger than my desire to hit threshold.

My one worry is that I've never missed an event before, I've never even considered it, and by giving myself permission to skip one event it might allow that decision to be made easier in the future for other non-Expedition events. It already has kind of happened, this weekend while I was thinking this over I found my drive to push hard in the Skirmish dwindle, and I posted my lowest Skirmish score in at least a year (still posted 1.3 million or something but I'm usually up around 2-3 million).

I hear ya. I did not have much incentive either to get my Moriarty to two stars which raised his stats all of like 40 points. Expeditions be annoying so considering skipping it as well here but I am waiting till Wednesday till we see what the mega is.

My decision is two-fold.

1. I really, REALLY have strong negative memories of the last Expeditions I did, like conditioned anxiety. You mention an Expedition and my stomach hurts, and the thought of not doing an Expedition removes that pain and replaces it with happiness.

2. Expeditions are much more of a time investment than I am comfortable making. Over the course of 4 days I can invest as many hours as I choose in a Galaxy or a Skirmish..."oh, I have 10 minutes free before I need to do a thing, let me Galaxy/Skirmish for 10 minutes." And on Factions to do well yes you must check in regularly, but each check in is only a minute or two once you have your kickstart done. but an Expedition is a serious time investment, and it all has to be done right now. You cash in a ticket and it takes a long time to complete it, and then you have five more that need to be done today, plus they give you more which ALSO need to be done today, because any unspent tickets are wasted when they refill back to 6. And yes a ticket can be completed faster at the cost of not maximizing points which just means you will need to buy more tickets to hit threshold now that threshold is 350,000 and not 130,000, which also will not shorten the amount of time you'll need to invest every day just to hit threshold.

I agree with Bylo, Expeditions are a huge time investment, unlike other events. Also there are some sort of extra rewards for all other events, but for an Expedition, you only get event rewards. What a waste of time.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps they aren't your favourite pay style. Perhaps event with a this investment structure aren't something you will do. What I don't get are these statements. Expeditions are few and far between. Other people like them.

God forbid every event isn't your favourite. Seriously, PTSD from an event? Opinions are one thing, but i think that's a bit too much drama.

It may not literally be PTSD, but if you were around for the Christmas screw up you'd understand why some people have extremely negative memories of expedition events.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Perhaps they aren't your favourite pay style. Perhaps event with a this investment structure aren't something you will do. What I don't get are these statements. Expeditions are few and far between. Other people like them.

God forbid every event isn't your favourite. Seriously, PTSD from an event? Opinions are one thing, but i think that's a bit too much drama.

It may not literally be PTSD, but if you were around for the Christmas screw up you'd understand why some people have extremely negative memories of expedition events.

Mirror Bev

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »

Mirror Bev

edlk4p9u2dhx.jpg

I remember that I got 1 copy from my end rank then spent 6500 crystals to get the last 4 copies... She was my best combined med crew till this convergence day.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Is this on?!
    OK so this event has created a lot of discussions among us based on your feedback, which is good.

We realize that this really was not a good choice for a flashback, and we will review our process going forwards.

So this week's event will be its own special and unique thing. And we are adding one additional threshold reward, Detective Data, at 475,000 points.

AWESOME! I love a good "this is the only one we're ever going to do" type of event.

Thanks, Shan and DB!
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but to be fair ... that was a hybrid event ... I just hit thresholds with the Skirmish portion and never touched a single node in pt 2 ... still managed to get in the mid-3000s by the end of the event ... ah yes, skirmishes.

The Xmas previous part 1 was Faction ... spent 2 tickets to hit full thresholds in pt 2 and also ended mid-3000s.

A full expedition is the same ... within 24 hrs of the event start, you can hit full thresholds (450k VP!!) without any issue ... and then just pass on the rest of the weekend ... exactly what I plan to do this time, as I've got a weekend of work ahead of me, otherwise I would have made a run for the top 100 placing achievement (2000 Merits) ... those 6 extra tickets will remain in my mailbox for the foreseeable future.

I don't get it ... we have one Expedition in 1+ years and there are complaints everywhere, just sit an event out, I do it all the time (looking at you Galaxy events). It is not a big deal really to just let things go sometimes, it can be liberating.

But, to be honest, I'm a bit bummed of real life getting in the way this weekend, as I really wanted to give it a go for the achievement (Expeditions and Skirmishes are the only real shot I have at that). Ah well.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this on?!
    OK so this event has created a lot of discussions among us based on your feedback, which is good.

We realize that this really was not a good choice for a flashback, and we will review our process going forwards.

So this week's event will be its own special and unique thing. And we are adding one additional threshold reward, Detective Data, at 475,000 points.

Bless you, DB, and all you hold dear!!!!!

🖖👍🖖👍🖖
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Annnnnnnnd now I'm going to be grinding the max amount of points out of every, single, ticket now! Thank u DB!!
    Edit: don't want this to sound sarcastic, I really am happy they added Data and can get him now even though I gotta grind more now.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this on?!

Yipee!!! Thanks!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Yeah, but to be fair ... that was a hybrid event ... I just hit thresholds with the Skirmish portion and never touched a single node in pt 2 ... still managed to get in the mid-3000s by the end of the event ... ah yes, skirmishes.

The Xmas previous part 1 was Faction ... spent 2 tickets to hit full thresholds in pt 2 and also ended mid-3000s.

A full expedition is the same ... within 24 hrs of the event start, you can hit full thresholds (450k VP!!) without any issue ... and then just pass on the rest of the weekend ... exactly what I plan to do this time, as I've got a weekend of work ahead of me, otherwise I would have made a run for the top 100 placing achievement (2000 Merits) ... those 6 extra tickets will remain in my mailbox for the foreseeable future.

I don't get it ... we have one Expedition in 1+ years and there are complaints everywhere, just sit an event out, I do it all the time (looking at you Galaxy events). It is not a big deal really to just let things go sometimes, it can be liberating.

But, to be honest, I'm a bit bummed of real life getting in the way this weekend, as I really wanted to give it a go for the achievement (Expeditions and Skirmishes are the only real shot I have at that). Ah well.

When I “sit out” a Galaxy event, that means I at least get to the old threshold of 130k or even maybe push for the merits at 160k, depending on how many super rare items drop for me (maybe less if it’s a rerun or flashback). Until Shan mentioned a (curiously high) threshold for Detective Data, I was prepared to do absolutely nothing at all this weekend - really for the first time ever since events were released.

Now....I’m conflicted and only have two days to thaw out all of the variant crew I’ll need to really make a go of the event. And that threshold for Data being 75k VP higher than in any other event makes me wonder if that was chosen to either force us to use all of the provided tickets or perhaps have to buy at least one in order to make it all the way. That’s not a good feeling.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    It's fair to say Expeditions aren't worth the same time as Skirmishes because they don't drop the loot that Skirmishes drop, but
    Thought about it all week and I have decided to bow out of this event, my dislike of Expeditions is stronger than my desire to hit threshold.

My one worry is that I've never missed an event before, I've never even considered it, and by giving myself permission to skip one event it might allow that decision to be made easier in the future for other non-Expedition events. It already has kind of happened, this weekend while I was thinking this over I found my drive to push hard in the Skirmish dwindle, and I posted my lowest Skirmish score in at least a year (still posted 1.3 million or something but I'm usually up around 2-3 million).

I hear ya. I did not have much incentive either to get my Moriarty to two stars which raised his stats all of like 40 points. Expeditions be annoying so considering skipping it as well here but I am waiting till Wednesday till we see what the mega is.

My decision is two-fold.

1. I really, REALLY have strong negative memories of the last Expeditions I did, like conditioned anxiety. You mention an Expedition and my stomach hurts, and the thought of not doing an Expedition removes that pain and replaces it with happiness.

2. Expeditions are much more of a time investment than I am comfortable making. Over the course of 4 days I can invest as many hours as I choose in a Galaxy or a Skirmish..."oh, I have 10 minutes free before I need to do a thing, let me Galaxy/Skirmish for 10 minutes." And on Factions to do well yes you must check in regularly, but each check in is only a minute or two once you have your kickstart done. but an Expedition is a serious time investment, and it all has to be done right now. You cash in a ticket and it takes a long time to complete it, and then you have five more that need to be done today, plus they give you more which ALSO need to be done today, because any unspent tickets are wasted when they refill back to 6. And yes a ticket can be completed faster at the cost of not maximizing points which just means you will need to buy more tickets to hit threshold now that threshold is 350,000 and not 130,000, which also will not shorten the amount of time you'll need to invest every day just to hit threshold.

I agree with Bylo, Expeditions are a huge time investment, unlike other events. Also there are some sort of extra rewards for all other events, but for an Expedition, you only get event rewards. What a waste of time.

Expeditions don't offer the kind of loot that Skirmishes drop and don't have Community Rewards a la Galaxy Events, true enough. But they're no more of a time investment than Skirmishes or Galaxies. If anything, they're easier to manage because once you've claimed the max VP from each node, there's no pressing need to keep going unless you're hellbent on grinding out every last point you can. That gives Expeditions a built-in mechanism for stopping that Skirmishes and Galaxies lack.

Faction events are much worse, they take your boosts away and give nothing in return. At least these expeditions aren't taking chronitons or boosts. Maybe a bit of dilithium but with the monthly card it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, they're adding a legendary to flashback thresholds, which is great.
  • Options
    Personally I totally hate expeditions and the last event of this type was so annoying that it made me consider quitting the game. But, even if I loved expeditions, they would still be unplayable in the current format. For me the events start at 7pm and this gives little space to play the three tickets in the first day.
    I can grind skirmishes or galaxies indefinitely, but expeditions give me anxiety and loathing. Looking forward to a weekend off the game.