Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: The Game's Afoot (flashbackrunish) - 01/30

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is quite a long thread, so please forgive me if I missed it...

How many tickets will it take to clear the 350k VP threshold, assuming we only do one full run for max VP on each ticket?

How many tickets will we get for free of we use them as soon as we get them?

Basically, I'm wanting to know if I'll need to buy extra tickets or grind harder to make threshold. Thanks in advance!

If my memory of how VP rewards work is correct, one ticket will net you the following:

-5 missions times 4 rare reward nodes times 250 VP = 5,000 VP plus 25 VP per completed mission = 5,125 VP from Normal difficulty
    -5*4*500+5*50=10,250 from Elite
    -5*4*1000+5*100=20,500 from Epic
    -5,125+10,250+20,500=35,875 per ticket

This does assume that you can clear every rare reward node on a single run-through, which is almost certain to not happen because of the way Expedition missions are organized. 36-37k is more likely. It also assumes there are four rare reward nodes per mission, which I am about 90% sure is true, and that you’re not desperate enough to grind missions at 100 VP each after the rare nodes are clear.

Assuming 3 free tickets per day, 12*36,000=432,000 VP. So I was wrong earlier when I thought there was no way to clear thresholds without buying tickets....still, I just can’t wrap my head around running those missions 1,500ish times to get that much VP.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

How many tickets will it take to clear the 350k VP threshold, assuming we only do one full run for max VP on each ticket?

Basically, I'm wanting to know if I'll need to buy extra tickets or grind harder to make threshold. Thanks in advance!

If my memory of how VP rewards work is correct, one ticket will net you the following:

-5 missions times 4 rare reward nodes times 250 VP = 5,000 VP plus 25 VP per completed mission = 5,125 VP from Normal difficulty
    -5*4*500+5*50=10,250 from Elite
    -5*4*1000+5*100=20,500 from Epic
    -5,125+10,250+20,500=35,875 per ticket

This does assume that you can clear every rare reward node on a single run-through, which is almost certain to not happen because of the way Expedition missions are organized. 36-37k is more likely. It also assumes there are four rare reward nodes per mission, which I am about 90% sure is true, and that you’re not desperate enough to grind missions at 100 VP each after the rare nodes are clear.

Assuming 3 free tickets per day, 12*36,000=432,000 VP. So I was wrong earlier when I thought there was no way to clear thresholds without buying tickets....still, I just can’t wrap my head around running those missions 1,500ish times to get that much VP.

Thank you. If your math is close, then we should be able to hit threshold on 10, maybe 11 tickets and we will get 12 for free. Works for me. :) I'll run that first ticket, see what I get, them adjust from there if necessary. Thanks again.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna ask about the 350K feasibility a while ago, but then figured that since nobody had mentioned it, I wasn't going to be a problem.

I did a bit of an estimate and came to a similar conclusion that others have. 350K can be hit without extra purchase
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could see how many VP points you have after completing one ticket then multiply it by however many we will get by the end of the event.

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much VP is needed for top 1500 on a skirmish? Generally I bet on around 600K for galaxy and faction and hybrid, and about 800K for skirmishes.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously the game is much different now - with far more extreme competition. But I've never got extra tickets and always finished expeditions around 500-700 range - often not fully using the tickets - for example only going through the normal difficulty once each run - leaving half the nodes.

Having the event crew matters a lot in these. Since I have them all complete I'm going to participate - haven't fully participated in a good 6 months.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this talk about reward cards and Shan's comment about needing to wait for Wednesday to see the full rewards makes me wonder if there isnt another 4* that's Picard related and they can't announce it until next week...
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    dext74 wrote: »
    All this talk about reward cards and Shan's comment about needing to wait for Wednesday to see the full rewards makes me wonder if there isnt another 4* that's Picard related and they can't announce it until next week...

I was wondering on the bus home, if maybe there is a reason we have to until the Event is posted Wednesday. {Or until someone sees something in the Cryovault Tuesday night........}

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

The rewards launch on Wednesday. The only episode of Picard that will have dropped is the first which dropped this past Thursday. If there is a mystery Picard character, there is no new Picard between now and then to need to keep it a secret.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »

The rewards launch on Wednesday. The only episode of Picard that will have dropped is the first which dropped this past Thursday. If there is a mystery Picard character, there is no new Picard between now and then to need to keep it a secret.

CBS granting a special license to DB for a new & embargoed Picard variant (card), based on an as-yet unseen episode of the show, is not out of the realm of possibility.

If you consider this game from the perspective of being an extended advertisement for the franchise, then a “sneak preview” of a card that relates to an upcoming situation with the character (Picard) could serve to drive further speculation and increase word-of-mouth, which is free. That is one of the things we do here in the Forums, after all.

Doubtful? Sure. Possible? Perhaps. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

CBS granting a special license to DB for a new & embargoed Picard variant (card), based on an as-yet unseen episode of the show, is not out of the realm of possibility.

If you consider this game from the perspective of being an extended advertisement for the franchise, then a “sneak preview” of a card that relates to an upcoming situation with the character (Picard) could serve to drive further speculation and increase word-of-mouth, which is free. That is one of the things we do here in the Forums, after all.

Of course. And I'm sure DB has plenty of inside knowledge to create characters in advance. My point was to refute the claim that DB hasn't revealed a new 4* because of Picard. Between Friday and Wednesday there is nothing happening with Picard that would change what DB could/couldn't reveal.

There is no second 4* because the original event only had 1 4*. DB is apparently opposed to including Victorian Pulaski in the rank rewards and Data at 400k threshold because it's a "flashback" and they don't do that by their own arbitrary rules.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Of course. And I'm sure DB has plenty of inside knowledge to create characters in advance. My point was to refute the claim that DB hasn't revealed a new 4* because of Picard. Between Friday and Wednesday there is nothing happening with Picard that would change what DB could/couldn't reveal.

There is no second 4* because the original event only had 1 4*. DB is apparently opposed to including Victorian Pulaski in the rank rewards and Data at 400k threshold because it's a "flashback" and they don't do that by their own arbitrary rules.

I did not intend to dispute your point about the interval between Friday and Wednesday. Rather, I used it to build on, in an attempt (which failed, apparently) to suggest that there could be a new 4* Picard variant (card) based on what has already been released in trailers or sneak previews.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    We know that there will be Picard crew in the following crew as by the message from DB. The question is how many and when.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    We know that there will be Picard crew in the following crew as by the message from DB. The question is how many and when.

Which message? I haven't seen any message saying Picard crew will be added. I obviously assume crew will show up at some point. My only point is there is no reason to think there is a mystery crew being added on Wednesday.
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the crew - maybe it's a spoiler-related crew member to the first episode and they're wanting to give out time from Thursday's release for people to view the episode.

Either way we'll find out in a couple of days!
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which message? I haven't seen any message saying Picard crew will be added. I obviously assume crew will show up at some point.

In the Convergence Day message:

"As such it is our great pleasure to announce that Star Trek: Picard will be part of STAR TREK TIMELINES! Just like for Star Trek: Discovery you can expect to encounter characters from this exciting new show in the game, in the following weeks."

• Options
    Which message? I haven't seen any message saying Picard crew will be added. I obviously assume crew will show up at some point.

In the Convergence Day message:

"As such it is our great pleasure to announce that Star Trek: Picard will be part of STAR TREK TIMELINES! Just like for Star Trek: Discovery you can expect to encounter characters from this exciting new show in the game, in the following weeks."

Yes that one. Thx. Hopefully that means a mega and not those awful Tuesday and best chance packs.

U know....come to think of it I haven't seen a best chance of pack since they released First Officer Burnham right after Disco's launch...

DB U DONT NEED TO REPEAT THAT MISTAKE!!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Arbitrary is very correct. They are changing some rules in this "flashback", but not adding Data to the end of the Threshold.

https://youtu.be/5Md_nDXAOZ8
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »
    After some thought it occured to me... There is only one purple (Dr. La Forge) so if he is the threshold reward who will be the ranked purple? Same if it is switched, if La Forge is ranked who will be the threshold purple? After considering this it isn't too unimaginable that they put La Forge as the ranked purple and Detective Data in the threshold...
    ...considering Data made a debut in Picard
    Here is to hoping that happens.

I share your hope, but Shan was fairly clear in her last statement:
    Shan wrote: »
    *snip*
    Detective Data will not be part of the rewards however.
    😢

And now I feel like a dunce cause I missed that.... Double whammy as I've also been chasing Detective Data... Oh well

Ditto on the chasing. 🖖

enbi4k998fwe.jpeg

Would it really be difficult for them to make it not a flashback...as far as I remember the past 3 or 4 events that were replays were flashbacks instead of reruns....and I finally have a handle on my resources to be able to actually get to 400k now!

It's not difficult, they've done it for years, the excuse is not making any new crew, which might be expensive, but that doesn't mean they can't put some crew at 400k if they want to.

They started doing flashbacks to save on art and design resources when they announced their next product. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

My conclusion was always that flashbacks are a way to stop giving people a free 5* in the rewards without having to just outright take it away.

That would be mine as well. Just to ensure some people dont get an easier second star, they sacrifice giving people who missed it or couldn't reach it before their first copy. I get it, they don't want to make it easier to get a copy fuse. But what I don't think they take into account is the fact that those characters have slipped as newer characters are created slightly better to make sure they are relevant. That second star on those older characters brings the bases up so they don't seem as bad.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see an expedition event returning to the game. While it's not my favorite type of event, having one or two per year is a good way to spice things up. A little variety is good.

BUT, I think they've picked the wrong one to re-run or "flashback" to. This was the trial run of this event type, and a lot of improvements were made subsequently. I know Shan has said they're trying to ret-con the improvements to this initial expedition event, but there are still significant challenges -- like not having a second featured super rare crew.

And how balanced are the missions/stars/tickets relative to threshold rewards designed to match other modern events with very different VP mechanisms.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see an expedition event returning to the game. While it's not my favorite type of event, having one or two per year is a good way to spice things up. A little variety is good.

Agreed. I've only played Auld Lang Syne, and after figuring out how to best utilize my resources I found the grind to be maddening. However, figuring things out was a lot of fun, so I'm happy to see this pop up again . . . just rarely.

Then again,I have a much better roster now. I used to find skirmishes maddening back when I had to carefully time my cloak every fight. Now I can blast through each round in a few seconds with minimal thought (and no cloaking). I hope this means grinding expeditions won't be so bad either.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thought about it all week and I have decided to bow out of this event, my dislike of Expeditions is stronger than my desire to hit threshold.

My one worry is that I've never missed an event before, I've never even considered it, and by giving myself permission to skip one event it might allow that decision to be made easier in the future for other non-Expedition events. It already has kind of happened, this weekend while I was thinking this over I found my drive to push hard in the Skirmish dwindle, and I posted my lowest Skirmish score in at least a year (still posted 1.3 million or something but I'm usually up around 2-3 million).
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Thought about it all week and I have decided to bow out of this event, my dislike of Expeditions is stronger than my desire to hit threshold.

My one worry is that I've never missed an event before, I've never even considered it, and by giving myself permission to skip one event it might allow that decision to be made easier in the future for other non-Expedition events. It already has kind of happened, this weekend while I was thinking this over I found my drive to push hard in the Skirmish dwindle, and I posted my lowest Skirmish score in at least a year (still posted 1.3 million or something but I'm usually up around 2-3 million).

I will tell you this. After tapping my life away this past weekend I thought about just getting the Shelby’s then calling it a weekend but to honor the honor piñata strategy, I completed the thresholds as it meant almost 2500 honor and a voyage token. My left arm is still so sore I have trouble sleeping and it has started to tingle from holding my phone and tapping away, but I toughed it our and cleared the thresholds. You can too my friend. Honor the honor piñata.

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »

I hear ya. I did not have much incentive either to get my Moriarty to two stars which raised his stats all of like 40 points. Expeditions be annoying so considering skipping it as well here but I am waiting till Wednesday till we see what the mega is.
    Let’s fly!