Home The Holodeck

PSA: Stay safe and be kind. Be a raccoon: wear a mask, wash your hands :) And: have a good air flow!

Comments

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Daughter is taking a nap. Now it’s our turn. Sleeping in the grass with Banjo is actually normal to me. We do that sometimes. Gotta keep that sense of normalcy right?

7cdazno8jr4n.jpeg

That is a lovely moment, thank you for sharing :)
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Daughter is taking a nap. Now it’s our turn. Sleeping in the grass with Banjo is actually normal to me. We do that sometimes. Gotta keep that sense of normalcy right?

7cdazno8jr4n.jpeg

That is a lovely moment, thank you for sharing :)

Thanks Shan. It felt good to forget about all this for a while. Their love is so pure and genuine. You can always turn to them for that

In China, things are starting to open up a little more again. In Shanghai, for the first time in two months, restaurants and stores have reopened on the streets at night! We still wear masks, practice social distancing, use hand sanitizer, and flash our green QR codes to enter malls and buildings, but it is slowly returning to normalcy. So, stay strong wherever you are, and we can all beat the virus!

Great info from a highly affected area. Thank you for this!

• In China, things are starting to open up a little more again. In Shanghai, for the first time in two months, restaurants and stores have reopened on the streets at night! We still wear masks, practice social distancing, use hand sanitizer, and flash our green QR codes to enter malls and buildings, but it is slowly returning to normalcy. So, stay strong wherever you are, and we can all beat the virus!

Thank you, I needed to hear that. In the UK we are a week behind Europe in handling this crisis and now I've just heard that Eurovision has been cancelled :'(
    Scary times but we've all got to stick together and support each other (at 3 ft distance and with plenty of soap and hand sanitiser!).
    Now on Star Trek Timelines as Kathryn Crow's Eye.
  • I live in Northern Italy, where we've had strong restrictions to public life and circulation for 10 days now. I don't know how this will evolve from a healthcare perspective, but when it comes to the changes to our lifestyle, it was confusing, annoying and/or scary in the beginning, but we got used to it in a short time.

This new way of life becomes routine quickly and I'm sure it will be the same in all places that are now going through it too. There will be new things to pay attention too, but others will become easier or less relevant. There's nothing missing in supermarkets and online purchases are still possible, although they take longer to deliver. Life is slower, with more precautions, but it's still proceeding normally.

That's the only reassuring thing that I can say so far, but I think that it's an important aspect in this crisis. And it's good to know that China is already getting back to normal, that gives us all a tangible perspective for a good outcome :)
    Here is how I used my “work from home” day

gymu15h9s2va.jpeg
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adorbs :)
    Adorbs :)

Thanks! Her first introduction to potty training

• Em CamEm Cam ✭✭✭
    My mom texted in to complain how old folks (she just turned 70 herself...) aren't taking social isolation seriously at all. Getting too close in queues, gathering in groups at malls and whatnot. :#
    Em Cam wrote: »
    My mom texted in to complain how old folks (she just turned 70 herself...) aren't taking social isolation seriously at all. Getting too close in queues, gathering in groups at malls and whatnot. :#

Some things like malls and such are closing because people aren’t respecting the 6 foot rule

• Em CamEm Cam ✭✭✭
    Em Cam wrote: »

Some things like malls and such are closing because people aren’t respecting the 6 foot rule

Here it's schools, museums, galleries, libraries. Risk group people are supposed to go full quarantee route, but loads of the old folks are going anarchists, it seems. (I'm in Finland.)
  • Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭
    Well here in Romania it's getting crazier by day. We had like 700000 people coming home from Italy, Spain, Uk.... and many were not tested in the beginning so the real number of cases is unknown.
    We are in state of emergency since monday for 1 month with most of things closed (schools, restaurants, many shops...)
    Government agencies are still working but many companies already closed with no hope of opening again.
    I am working in Automotive industry and can do it remotely but for production it's a total disaster since they need to be in plant but as many companies close for few weeks i think they will be sent home also.
  • PhantumPhantum ✭✭✭
    @Banjo1012 Is that a real Potty? Awesome!! We were boring parents with a standard potty. Reading on the potty also worked a treat for mine (now 3 and 5). We always get the lego and toy catalogues from the shops and the kids read them again and again on the toilet as their "Newspaper". Over a month we would get a good idea what toys they really wanted for birthdays etc. It also taught them patience to 'just look' untill their birthday.
  • Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭
    Phantum wrote: »
    I wonder how things would have gone in Europe as a whole if our first response had been to send help to Italy instead of stop flights.

We should have done both from first cases because in only few days the number exploded.

Phantum wrote: »
    @Banjo1012 Is that a real Potty? Awesome!! We were boring parents with a standard potty. Reading on the potty also worked a treat for mine (now 3 and 5). We always get the lego and toy catalogues from the shops and the kids read them again and again on the toilet as their "Newspaper". Over a month we would get a good idea what toys they really wanted for birthdays etc. It also taught them patience to 'just look' untill their birthday.

It’s just a small plastic potty you put together but I like your ideas! I’m going to use them!

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is everyone doing today? :)
    My cats are pretty much the same, they do sense something up though.
    My next door neighbors do not seem to grasp the concept of social distancing sigh.

The overall traffic noise is way down, which is nice. Less planes which is eerie.

Human nature is such a weird beast, isn't it?

I've seen people who should know better think that if they are young and healthy, there is nothing to worry about, right? On the other hand I've seen the same misconception in someone older but a willingness to educate themselves.

I wonder if the messaging that you can be infected while not showing symptoms is not being surfaced properly. So let's do our part when we can.

For those of you with kiddos, this might be something that helps keep them entertained? Doodles!
    https://youtu.be/MjaYnyCJDdU
    How is everyone doing today? :)
    My cats are pretty much the same, they do sense something up though.
    My next door neighbors do not seem to grasp the concept of social distancing sigh.

The overall traffic noise is way down, which is nice. Less planes which is eerie.

Human nature is such a weird beast, isn't it?

I've seen people who should know better think that if they are young and healthy, there is nothing to worry about, right? On the other hand I've seen the same misconception in someone older but a willingness to educate themselves.

I wonder if the messaging that you can be infected while not showing symptoms is not being surfaced properly. So let's do our part when we can.

For those of you with kiddos, this might be something that helps keep them entertained? Doodles!
    https://youtu.be/MjaYnyCJDdU

I need something!! I have watched Frozen II 633 times this week! The songs are stuck in my head now!

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

I need something!! I have watched Frozen II 633 times this week! The songs are stuck in my head now!

But who are you, from the Frozen crew? ^^ ;p

It would have to be Kristoff. I’m musically inclined and I talk to my dogs like they are people

• DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

I call being the rock giants. If you wake me from my nap, I'm likely to throw stones at you. 😀

I call being the rock giants. If you wake me from my nap, I'm likely to throw stones at you. 😀

Ha!!

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know who I would be, hmm ;p

OK more stuff for kiddos, recommended by one of our engineers: http://www.nickjr.com/team-umizoomi/

Seasons are available on Amazon Prime as well, at least in the US.
    edited March 2020

OK more stuff for kiddos, recommended by one of our engineers: http://www.nickjr.com/team-umizoomi/

We’ve been watching Spongebob. We both love it! She likes to help me with the laundry, especially cuz she gets rides up and down the stairs in the basket. Also her and the dogs have lots of stuff downstairs to play with so we’ve been doing that too.

• DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

For young kids, especially girls, I recommend the PBS Kids show "Wordgirl".

It is an 11 year old female superhero who goes around saving the day through superior vocabulary. I was amused by it, and my girls all loved it. All good stuff and good examples.
    edited March 2020

For young kids, especially girls, I recommend the PBS Kids show "Wordgirl".

It is an 11 year old female superhero who goes around saving the day through superior vocabulary. I was amused by it, and my girls all loved it. All good stuff and good examples.

And for those kids who can read, they can get that on the forum! (Sorry. I could t just let that opportunity pass me by)

• Haere LinteseregHaere Lintesereg ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Here in Spain we're in lockdown and in state of emergency since Saturday, and it's like said @Emperor Borg Drone about Italy.

You could see good things like the sanitary applause everyday at 8PM (we copied that from Italy), online concerts and other iniciatives from artists, and bad things (people selfish hogging food and other goods like toilet paper and people reckless), but as days goes by, fortunately the good sense and the generous acts prevails.

A video of the sanitary applause from Saturday.

https://youtu.be/Y3KBHu_yQ4g
  • ShadowPresenceShadowPresence ✭✭✭✭
    I found out today that the industry I work in is being called essential business, so we're likely to continue going unless we see more critical actions like a total lockdown. (I feel for you Italy and Spain)
    But it's weird seeing such a shift in lifestyles.
    My city announced today its first confirmed case. So yeah, just when I was thinking we'd start to see toilet paper again..

I heard some good advice from a doctor on the radio. He said: Keeping up with all the reports can cause fear and anxiety. And with social distancing on top of that, people can start to feel depressed and isolated. He said it would be good give yourself a break sometimes. Engage in a healthy hobby. Find a positive outlet. Set goals for yourself that you can accomplish. And find ways to smile and laugh. He said its important to maintain good mental health, because you don't want to lower your bodies natural defenses which anxiety can do.

Stay healthy and safe everyone! :)