Home The Holodeck
Options

PSA: Stay safe and be kind. Be a raccoon: wear a mask, wash your hands :) And: have a good air flow!

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I found out today that the industry I work in is being called essential business, so we're likely to continue going unless we see more critical actions like a total lockdown. (I feel for you Italy and Spain)
    But it's weird seeing such a shift in lifestyles.
    My city announced today its first confirmed case. So yeah, just when I was thinking we'd start to see toilet paper again..

I heard some good advice from a doctor on the radio. He said: Keeping up with all the reports can cause fear and anxiety. And with social distancing on top of that, people can start to feel depressed and isolated. He said it would be good give yourself a break sometimes. Engage in a healthy hobby. Find a positive outlet. Set goals for yourself that you can accomplish. And find ways to smile and laugh. He said its important to maintain good mental health, because you don't want to lower your bodies natural defenses which anxiety can do.

Stay healthy and safe everyone! :)

If you don’t mind me asking, what city are you in? I’m in Lockport, IL about 40 miles SW of Chicago. Some people we know in the National Guard are being told they will be mobilizing this weekend to prevent looting and such as a two week lockdown will be announced by Monday

• Options
    ShadowPresenceShadowPresence ✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I found out today that the industry I work in is being called essential business, so we're likely to continue going unless we see more critical actions like a total lockdown. (I feel for you Italy and Spain)
    My city announced today its first confirmed case. So yeah, just when I was thinking we'd start to see toilet paper again..

I heard some good advice from a doctor on the radio. He said: Keeping up with all the reports can cause fear and anxiety. And with social distancing on top of that, people can start to feel depressed and isolated. He said it would be good give yourself a break sometimes. Engage in a healthy hobby. Find a positive outlet. Set goals for yourself that you can accomplish. And find ways to smile and laugh. He said its important to maintain good mental health, because you don't want to lower your bodies natural defenses which anxiety can do.

If you don’t mind me asking, what city are you in? I’m in Lockport, IL about 40 miles SW of Chicago. Some people we know in the National Guard are being told they will be mobilizing this weekend to prevent looting and such as a two week lockdown will be announced by Monday

I'm in Roanoke, Va. If you drew a line down the middle of the state, for almost two weeks, every case was on the other side of the state. Today's announcement marks the first case on this side, my side. We'll see what happens next.

A two week lockdown in your city? Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. It becomes surreal when it finally reaches your front door. I hope you guys stay safe! I hope everyone everywhere stays safe!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phantum wrote: »
    It is really interesting to hear how things are going from people around the world.

Here in Finland we don't have so many cases yet and the government has acted fast. The inconveniences do not seem such a big deal, we are confident in our health system and government.

Most people here seem to be very respectful of the guidelines. We (and others) have kept our kids home from kindy since they had runny noses (not a corona symptom) to prioritise services for those in critical positions. My wife is teaching from home. For some weird reason there was also a run on toilet paper here in Finland (paper products is our largest export!)

Admittedly we have not seen any of the more serious effects of the virus first hand, but this pandemic is filling me with hope more than fear. It has shown how connected everyone really is, both in our communities and our nations. We can not stop coronavirus if we let the poorest and weakest vulnerable, the chain of contact crosses all social, economical, and national boundaries. I wonder how things would have gone in Europe as a whole if our first response had been to send help to Italy instead of stop flights.

You know, if you guys end

I heard about that from one of my customers down in Rockford...and I thought we were taking serious measures up here with the restrictions we’ve had on public assembly and such. On the bright side, you’ll have plenty of time to catch up on books or things you’ve been slacking on.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phantum wrote: »
    It is really interesting to hear how things are going from people around the world.

Here in Finland we don't have so many cases yet and the government has acted fast. The inconveniences do not seem such a big deal, we are confident in our health system and government.

Most people here seem to be very respectful of the guidelines. We (and others) have kept our kids home from kindy since they had runny noses (not a corona symptom) to prioritise services for those in critical positions. My wife is teaching from home. For some weird reason there was also a run on toilet paper here in Finland (paper products is our largest export!)

Admittedly we have not seen any of the more serious effects of the virus first hand, but this pandemic is filling me with hope more than fear. It has shown how connected everyone really is, both in our communities and our nations. We can not stop coronavirus if we let the poorest and weakest vulnerable, the chain of contact crosses all social, economical, and national boundaries. I wonder how things would have gone in Europe as a whole if our first response had been to send help to Italy instead of stop flights.

You know, if you guys end

I heard about that from one of my customers down in Rockford...and I thought we were taking serious measures up here with the restrictions we’ve had on public assembly and such. On the bright side, you’ll have plenty of time to catch up on books or things you’ve been slacking on.

In all honesty I’ve been very sick. My wife and kid had the flu really bad last week and I think I have it now too. Her sister was going to watch our daughter next week so we can go to work but now she won’t. Sounds crazy but I actually need a lockdown

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    As unpleasant as it is, we should all expect a shelter in place in our respective countries/areas etc
    There is just no way around it.

That being said, the advice relayed by ShadowPresence is really important so let's try to focus on that.

What kind of hobby have you always put off and might be able to start while in confinement? :)

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    As unpleasant as it is, we should all expect a shelter in place in our respective countries/areas etc
    There is just no way around it.

That being said, the advice relayed by ShadowPresence is really important so let's try to focus on that.

What kind of hobby have you always put off and might be able to start while in confinement? :)

It should happen by the end of the weekend. The problem is that people have already been cutting into the two weeks of supplies they were told to get

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang in there this weekend everyone :smile:
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already announced shelter in place here in IL. My wife’s warehouse is closed until April 7th. They sling apparel. We sling applesauce so we are actually considered essential. May just have to quit or get fired
  • Options

When I have a little down time, I like working on puzzles. I just got a 6000 piece one I got a month ago. So that'll be a challenge. I also play xbox. If you have a family of 3 to 6, there's a pretty fun/silly app game you can play together. It's called SpaceTeam. I know it's on the Playstore and I think on Apple's as well. It looks crude, but it's pretty fun. Each of you use your own phone/device and you're a crew aboard a spaceship.. and its falling apart! So you have to call out to each other (usually at the same time lol) what needs to be fixed. If you succeed you move onto the next level. Give it a try, it's crazy how fun it is. :)

Or if that doesn't float your boat you've got plenty of time to finish that spring cleaning! :p
  • Options

When I have a little down time, I like working on puzzles. I just got a 6000 piece one I got a month ago. So that'll be a challenge. I also play xbox. If you have a family of 3 to 6, there's a pretty fun/silly app game you can play together. It's called SpaceTeam. I know it's on the Playstore and I think on Apple's as well. It looks crude, but it's pretty fun. Each of you use your own phone/device and you're a crew aboard a spaceship.. and its falling apart! So you have to call out to each other (usually at the same time lol) what needs to be fixed. If you succeed you move onto the next level. Give it a try, it's crazy how fun it is. :)

Or if that doesn't float your boat you've got plenty of time to finish that spring cleaning! :p

We have both the board game and app versions of Spaceteam and they are a riot. The more people you have shouting, the better!
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

We have both the board game and app versions of Spaceteam and they are a riot. The more people you have shouting, the better!

I've played Space Team. Fun game. :) I can could recommend a whole long list for those who have some money and Amazon still delivers to your area. Most of these games are better for teens and older.

Ticket to Ride
    Forbidden Island
    Forbidden Desert
    Small World
    Pandemic (if you're feeling cheeky)
    Smash Up
    Concept

You know what? We all know Wil Wheaton here. Just look up "Table Top Wil Wheaton" on YouTube. He had a whole web series. You'll get a video of gameplay, then you can decide if the game looks fun. I especially recommend the video he did where Jeri Ryan was on the show.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options

I forgot, I do have the board game of that too! It is fun! I've also been recently playing Wingspan. I didn't think it was going to be fun before I played it. But it is very fun!! And pretty diverse. The same person won't win every single game.
  • Options

I've played Space Team. Fun game. :) I can could recommend a whole long list for those who have some money and Amazon still delivers to your area. Most of these games are better for teens and older.

Ticket to Ride
    Forbidden Island
    Forbidden Desert
    Small World
    Smash Up
    Concept

You know what? We all know Wil Wheaton here. Just look up "Table Top Wil Wheaton" on YouTube. He had a whole web series. You'll get a video of gameplay, then you can decide if the game looks fun. I especially recommend the video he did where Jeri Ryan was on the show.

Ice seen a few of those at Barnes&Noble. I've wanted to try them.
  • Options

Ticket to Ride
    Forbidden Island
    Forbidden Desert
    Small World
    Smash Up
    Concept

We played Pandemic last night (figuring it was appropriate) before we played Concept, which has turned into one of our favorites. While I would recommend almost anything from our board game closet, there are a few we play way more than the others:

Anomia (and the adult version, Anomia X)
    Superfight
    Magic Maze
    Codenames
    Suburbia

We also found a really fun one not too long ago...Bob Ross: The Art of Chill. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves Bob Ross.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Update, albeit a little late. Our Library closed last Monday at 1800 local time. Will not reopen before 16 April, at least. Checked out items can be returned in drop boxes, and Holds can be picked up at the door. We call inside when we arrive, and Staff checks out the Holds and brings them to the door. Returned items are being handled with gloves, and are cleaned on check in. They are also reportedly cleaning items that are in, along with all surfaces.

I mentioned Hoopla. There several options, if your local library has one or more:

Hoopla
    Libby
    Borrow Read Repeat

Most libraries have one or more digital resources today.

I also am glad that the game can be continued remotely. It is a wonderful way to pass time.

We don't say it nearly enough. Thanx to Shan and the entire staff for providing such a fun game!!!!!!!!

🖖👍😺👍🖖
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Thank you Shan for your infectious optimism!
    Pun intended :p

Seriously though, it's nice to hear small reassurances like this in difficult times.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    I play guitar. Trying to teach myself the theme songs for TNG, DS9, VOY...
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done puzzles with my family from time to time. Whoever made this one was sadistic. 500 pieces, all almost the same. A good quarter of them are all brown.
    iuqwrjg1n3yr.jpg
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone said infectious optimism?!
    I now feel obliged to share what I came up with this weekend, but I blame James Corden and Niall Horan with their Proclaimers sketch ;p
    And I will walk 6ft away
    And I will stand 6t away
    In the grocery stores and in the parks
    I will stand 6ft apart.

NOT SORRY!

6000 piece puzzle?! Wut
    With cats I can forget about puzzles ..

Space Team sounds fun, I need to check it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, let's make the best of this week <3

Btw did anyone feel the urge to watch pandemic related movies, like many are doing??
    I did not lol

I see the temptation, but I have started to think this is like a movie. Now I have a story of what this is coming to. I am at work today. Come to find out we had the wife of an employee test positive for corona. My company knew this THURSDAY and still has not told the employees. I told my crew as soon as I found out because I will not be part of deceiving my people, especially regarding something so serious. These greedy businesses, at least the one I work for, are making it perfectly clear they are putting our health second to their machine turning. They are so afraid of telling their clients they need to do what’s best for their people that they are risking lives rather than growing a pair and telling these people look, we HAVE to stop this!

• Options
    Someone said infectious optimism?!
    I now feel obliged to share what I came up with this weekend, but I blame James Corden and Niall Horan with their Proclaimers sketch ;p
    And I will walk 6ft away
    And I will stand 6t away
    In the grocery stores and in the parks
    I will stand 6ft apart.

NOT SORRY!

6000 piece puzzle?! Wut
    With cats I can forget about puzzles ..

Space Team sounds fun, I need to check it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, let's make the best of this week <3

Btw did anyone feel the urge to watch pandemic related movies, like many are doing??
    I did not lol

We haven’t yet pulled the trigger on watching pandemic movies...the closest I’ve come is finally watching Mad Max: Fury Road. If nothing else, it’s given me ideas for my post-apocalyptic style. :)
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the temptation, but I have started to think this is like a movie. Now I have a story of what this is coming to. I am at work today. Come to find out we had the wife of an employee test positive for corona. My company knew this THURSDAY and still has not told the employees. I told my crew as soon as I found out because I will not be part of deceiving my people, especially regarding something so serious. These greedy businesses, at least the one I work for, are making it perfectly clear they are putting our health second to their machine turning. They are so afraid of telling their clients they need to do what’s best for their people that they are risking lives rather than growing a pair and telling these people look, we HAVE to stop this!

I am sorry, Banjo - that's super lame :(
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry, Banjo - that's super lame :(

Thanks Shan. I knew the guy I work for is not a straight shooter from the start. He’s always done shady things and I’ve always fought him on it but you never think it would come to things that are so serious. You really get to know who people are in a crisis

• Options
    Haere LinteseregHaere Lintesereg ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I'm sorry too Banjo. Unfortunately in this crisis we'd see horrible things everywhere. Sorry in advance for my English. Here, last week came the news about a really crazy woman. I don't remember where it happens, but I guess it was in a little town. Well, the Guardia Civil go to a home because the husband reported that his wife was attacking him, and it was so. Then, the Guardia Civil officers took in custody the woman, and she throw spitballs to the officers saying that she has infected. Well, they did the test, and yes, she was infected. Last week too, a couple of Madrid goes to the mountain without food, water or even warm clothes, and stayed in a cave to flee the virus. In the end, they have to call emergencies, and a team of 15 people have to rescue them. Even with the lockdown, the police had to abort a party in a nightclub from an hotel in a little town near Madrid. There are many retirement homes with a high number of infections by the lack of resources.

In the other hand, the state of alarm will be prolonged another 15 days, so the lockdown will long until April 11, at least. The army has build a field hospital with 5,500 beds in a fairground in the outskirts of Madrid to prevent the collapse of the hospitals (and specially the ICUs)

But there are good news. In Madrid the number of infections is growing moderately the last 3 days, and Madrid is the worst infection zone here. So maybe, just maybe, we could reach the peak of the curve of infections soon.

Meanwhile I pass the time working from home (well, more than work is a hobbie actually), reading and watching movies, series and anime. I just finished Le Bureau des Légendes (I think its title in English is The Bureau) and Westworld. I also made some miniature and paint some figures.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry too Banjo. Unfortunately in this crisis we'd see horrible things everywhere. Sorry in advance for my English. Here, last week came the news about a really crazy woman. I don't remember when it happens, but I guess it was in a little town. Well, the Guardia Civil go to a home because the husband reported that his wife was attacking him, and it was so. Then, the Guardia Civil officers took in custody the woman, and she throw spitballs to the officers saying that she has infected. Well, they did the test, and yes, she was infected. Last week too, a couple of Madrid goes to the mountain without food, water or even warm clothes, and stayed in a cave to flee the virus. In the end, they have to call emergencies, and a team of 15 people have to rescue them. Even with the lockdown, the police had to abort a party in a nightclub from an hotel in a little town near Madrid. There are many retirement homes with a high number of infections by the lack of resources.

In the other hand, the state of alarm will be prolonged another 15 days, so the lockdown will long until April 11, at least. The army has build a field hospital with 5,500 beds in a fairground in the outskirts of Madrid to prevent the collapse of the hospitals (and specially the ICUs)

But there are good news. In Madrid the number of infections is growing moderately the last 3 days, and Madrid is the worst infection zone here. So maybe, just maybe, we could reach the peak of the curve of infections soon.

Meanwhile I pass the time working from home (well, more than work is a hobbie actually), reading and watching movies, series and anime. I just finished Le Bureau des Légendes (I think its title in English is The Bureau) and Westworld. I also made some miniature and paint some figures.

It’s cool you are using this time to do some creative things and stay away from the craziness you are talking about. And I do thank you for your support and sympathy. Evil is everywhere I suppose. We just gotta hope that good will always prevail

• Options
    Haere LinteseregHaere Lintesereg ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, we have things like this. I just found the video.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Haere Lintesereg that is super cool!!! I’ve been trying to find something positive among this and that hits the nail right on the head. Thank you for sharing that!!
  • Options
    @Haere Lintesereg Those are the coolest police! I want them in my city! Thank you for sharing that! :) Stay safe, friend!

@Banjo1012 I'm sorry you're going through that stuff at work. You're right, bad people are everywhere. I got super irritated with a report out of my state yesterday. But its important to look for the positive and to hold onto it. I hope your situation improves soon.

@Shan I've been looking for Netflix to add Contagion. I'm really surprised they haven't. That would be about the only one I would consider watching. But I have been catching up on some other shows.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFinity is doing a thing:

https://corporate.comcast.com/covid-19
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?