Home The Bridge
Options

June Mega reoccuring.

Comments

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't about the reoccurring character, but I think it would be cool if the four weeks went backward. Where the first week would be the end of the story, and each week would reveal more of what happened in the beginning. Just like how the episode started at the chronological end and made its way backwards.

+1. That would be very cool indeed! 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    SkettiSketti ✭✭✭
    Just re-watched the episode. If there is any correlation between the show and the game "Grandma Kes" would be a bad choice for the recurring. She knew nothing and no-one, " Only had 5% of her memory engrams remaining". Her Stats would be terrible.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't about the reoccurring character, but I think it would be cool if the four weeks went backward. Where the first week would be the end of the story, and each week would reveal more of what happened in the beginning. Just like how the episode started at the chronological end and made its way backwards.

+1. That would be very cool indeed! 🖖

The more I thought about this, the more I liked it. Combine it with old Expedition code & update the mapp with Episode(s) 11+.
    🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Think ill skip this mega how voyager keeps getting picked seems dubious considering its widley regarded as some of the worst of trek
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think ill skip this mega how voyager keeps getting picked seems dubious considering its widley regarded as some of the worst of trek

Well, I'll miss seeing you on the event leaderboards.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    KPan [ISA] wrote: »

I think the fact that it keeps getting voted as the theme shows that it's not widely regarded one of the worst trek, but just vocally regarded one of the worst. It has a strong fanbase that dont feel the need to debate its quality.

I voted for the tribbles event, man that would have been awesome...

Whenever series are polled, there is a distinct split. There is a large fanbase that continues to rank Voyager as their favorite show. It may not get the critical acclaim that others get, but there is certainly a loyal fanbase that continues to vote for it. See this startrek.com poll for example. https://www.startrek.com/article/poll-fans-most-watched-star-trek-series-is
  • Options

It certainly suffered from poor writing at times and misused some of its more interesting characters, but there were a lot of good things as well. Individual episodes rank among the best of all time (any time Q gets involved, The Killing Game, Living Witness, and Course: Oblivion) and a handful fo characters went through a great deal of personal growth throughout their journey.

Besides, you couldn’t swing a dead cat on this forum without hitting multiple people who would make the claim that Picard, Enterprise, or Discovery represent the “worst of Trek” and I bet you could find one or two who don’t care for DS9, TOS/TAS, or TNG.

At the very least, consider clearing 25,000 VP in each week so you can get a 4/5* crew? Not everyone believes that you don’t have to like a crew to keep them, but a 4/5* is usually a pretty solid contributor in most situations and it would require a minimum of effort each week.

When i say skip i mean at least threshold if not under 1,500 just probably wont be going crazy
  • Options
    It certainly suffered from poor writing at times and misused some of its more interesting characters, but there were a lot of good things as well. Individual episodes rank among the best of all time (any time Q gets involved, The Killing Game, Living Witness, and Course: Oblivion) and a handful fo characters went through a great deal of personal growth throughout their journey.

Wow. Living Witness is the only good episode listed there. I’d say it’s the only episode in all of Voyager that I would say is truly great. Every other episode ranks between mediocre and terrible. All the Q episodes are awful except for Deathwish. Every other Voyager Q episode is garbage. The Killing Game and Course: Oblivion are some of the worst Voyager episodes.
    Besides, you couldn’t swing a dead cat on this forum without hitting multiple people who would make the claim that Picard, Enterprise, or Discovery represent the “worst of Trek” and I bet you could find one or two who don’t care for DS9, TOS/TAS, or TNG.

Before Kurtzman Trek, Voyager and Enterprise were considered the worst. In terms of classic Trek, they still are. Voyager and Enterprise are just chronically mediocre. Berman and Braga had no desires to elevate either show. They famously shot down ideas from writers to do so with either show. When DS9 ended, Ron Moore went to go work on Voyager, because he wasn’t ready to let Star Trek go. He quit after a month. The work environment was so toxic there. All of his ideas to elevate the series were shot down. They didn’t want that. They just wanted a light, mediocre, TNG clone that never pushed the audience.

Voyager never went all out with its “lost in space” premise like it should have. And Enterprise was another TNG clone that never fully took advantage of its premise. So yeah, for classic Trek, they are definitely the lesser of the series. Kurtzman Trek is on a whole other level of awful though.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Living Witness is the only good episode listed there. I’d say it’s the only episode in all of Voyager that I would say is truly great. Every other episode ranks between mediocre and terrible. All the Q episodes are awful except for Deathwish. Every other Voyager Q episode is garbage. The Killing Game and Course: Oblivion are some of the worst Voyager episodes.

Wait, you didn’t even like Qunior tormenting Icheb and Aunt Kathy? Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy? The incident with the Equinox? Admittedly, Voyager was the first series I chose when I started my binge-watch marathon several year ago so it’s not as fresh as the other series. Also admittedly, there were some very rough episodes in the first few years but it really got better once Seven was introduced - her journey from Borg drone to functional person was a fascinating one. I at least made it through all those early season episodes without skipping any of them, like I had to do with the kind of a lot of the first two seasons of DS9.
    Voyager never went all out with its “lost in space” premise like it should have.

On this we agree. The third season of Enterprise did a far more believable job depicting an extended journey through hostile, unknown space with ever-dwindling resources and ever-increasing damage. The very things that could have made Voyager great are the things the writers abandoned almost immediately...still, there were plenty of individual elements to the show that rise far above “awful.”
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyager was mostly episodic. They did have episodes though like Year of Hell, when they are taken over by the Hirogen, and Equinox episodes where they showed the difficulties of being so far from home and dwindling resources. Janeway and the crew were very good about finding workarounds and repair which speaks highly of them. As far as Lost in Space goes, the original show had lots of issues and they did the same thing every week with no consequence extending to the next week. The Netflix remake had so many issues it just got cancelled.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    ok ok everyone we get it you love voyager you hate voyager you don’t mind voyager... everyone has their preferences 🖖🖖

back to the mega speculation, i’ll have to rewatch before and after myself but i think it’s safe to guess a variant of Kes will be the reoccurring :wink:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Depends who you ask. I really enjoyed Voyager, especially from Season 3 and upwards. 🤗

Topic wise:

I still think Old Kes will be the recurring crew. :)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

I just the VOY voters could at least get to vote for something with an interesting pool of potential new crew. There are numerous episodes I love that I would never vote for as the theme of a mega-event because I just don't see enough new game content that could come from them that would interest me. "The Doomsday Machine" (TOS) comes to mind. The only guest character is Matt Decker, who already has a card now. It'd just be different artwork of crew we already have, with new adjectives. Demoted Spock, maybe? Nah. Easy pass.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I just the VOY voters could at least get to vote for something with an interesting pool of potential new crew. There are numerous episodes I love that I would never vote for as the theme of a mega-event because I just don't see enough new game content that could come from them that would interest me. "The Doomsday Machine" (TOS) comes to mind. The only guest character is Matt Decker, who already has a card now. It'd just be different artwork of crew we already have, with new adjectives. Demoted Spock, maybe? Nah. Easy pass.

I blame DB for that, not the Voyager fans who voted. DB should have come up with a better theme for Voyager. If this is what was presented, I don't blame Voyager fans for wanting versions of their favorite characters instead of versions of characters they may not like in a different series.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

I blame DB for that, not the Voyager fans who voted. DB should have come up with a better theme for Voyager. If this is what was presented, I don't blame Voyager fans for wanting versions of their favorite characters instead of versions of characters they may not like in a different series.

That's why I made sure to phrase it "I wish [they] could... get to vote", because the poll choice is definitely on DB/TP now. It's also on DB/TP for not bothering to elaborate on a theme beyond a title. There may have been VOY fans who misremembered which one was "Before and After", for instance. No one should have to conduct research in the middle of voting, and it's egregious to expect everyone to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Star Trek--especially now that Discovery and Picard are hopefully bringing us newcomers. I'm not asking for itemized rosters of which crew would be included with each mega-event theme; that's surely not even possible at the time of voting. But surely a blurb reminding us what the hell each episode was, or explaining what a general theme like "Summer Vacation" would encompass is reasonable.

That said, to a certain extent it's also on the VOY players who voted for the episode if they did know which episode that was and how little content there is for an entire month but voted anyway. Surely there aren't that many players whose definition of what a "mega" June would be is predicated on finally getting Kes's parents.
  • Options
    Before and After wasn't the greatest episode, but it had some nice ideas in it, if I remember well. It started to build up Kes' character a little bit and made her more interesting (which is weird, since they were probably already planning to get rid of her). It created some anticipation for Year of Hell and it was one of those episodes where it was clear that they were actually in the middle of a dangerous journey and that they wouldn't necessarily be able to return to Earth. And there was the whole family-building thing, linked to the possibility that they might be stranded in the Delta quadrant forever or for a very long time.

But apart from that, I actually thought that it would make for a good mega theme, at least if compared to some of the other options that were very vague.
    It makes it possible to insert all sorts of alternate future/alternate timeline crew from other shows too. It actually has possible variants of main cast that are not just the character in a costume on the holodeck, like Captain Chakotay. And it has a couple of options for characters who are not main cast, like Linnis.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Before and After wasn't the greatest episode, but it had some nice ideas in it, if I remember well. It started to build up Kes' character a little bit and made her more interesting (which is weird, since they were probably already planning to get rid of her). It created some anticipation for Year of Hell and it was one of those episodes where it was clear that they were actually in the middle of a dangerous journey and that they wouldn't necessarily be able to return to Earth. And there was the whole family-building thing, linked to the possibility that they might be stranded in the Delta quadrant forever or for a very long time.

But apart from that, I actually thought that it would make for a good mega theme, at least if compared to some of the other options that were very vague.
    It makes it possible to insert all sorts of alternate future/alternate timeline crew from other shows too. It actually has possible variants of main cast that are not just the character in a costume on the holodeck, like Captain Chakotay. And it has a couple of options for characters who are not main cast, like Linnis.

But we could have had tribbles. Tribbles.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Before and After episode goes well with the theme of Timelines. I think it was a logical choice for WRG.

I wonder if we will get an announcement today or tomorrow, that way Shan doesn't have to pile it onto announcing the next event on Friday. I think the legendary announced on Friday will be the first legendary for the mega event, which starts on 6/11. Am I getting that correct?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I think the Before and After episode goes well with the theme of Timelines. I think it was a logical choice for WRG.

I wonder if we will get an announcement today or tomorrow, that way Shan doesn't have to pile it onto announcing the next event on Friday. I think the legendary announced on Friday will be the first legendary for the mega event, which starts on 6/11. Am I getting that correct?

Yes you are correct. Though sometimes we do not find out much until the next Wednesday. I am hoping for more info on Friday since the mega will be so late in June.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

Yes you are correct. Though sometimes we do not find out much until the next Wednesday. I am hoping for more info on Friday since the mega will be so late in June.

If we don't get more info before Friday, then we'll spend all weekend speculating. :D
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options

If we don't get more info before Friday, then we'll spend all weekend speculating. :D

Yes, and we will clog up the event thread with non stop speculation.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

Yes, and we will clog up the event thread with non stop speculation.

We can hope that folks find this thread instead. That was part of my reason for bumping it.
    Farewell 🖖