Home The Bridge
Options

DB/TP and Data Protection

Comments

• Options
    Sadly in the United States there is very weak internet privacy laws. I assume everything done on the internet is being collected and sold by multiple internet companies. The best way to make changes is to vote for politicians that promise to do something about strengthening privacy laws and then hold those politicians to their promises. That is the only way things will change.

Yep. "Mobile" Gaming Industry needs some serious regulations.
    What TP had just done here would be outright illegal even in the US under the COPPA act if kids were playing this game

They are. Great Post BTW.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's taking way to long to get the answers to key questions. Questions that the answers should have been onhand BEFORE the Offer Wall was added. Are people's identities at risk of being stolen? Are people at risk of being financially exploited?

If you don't do a survey, no. TP doesn't even have the data to steal your identity unless you're using your STT password on banking sites.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It's taking way to long to get the answers to key questions. Questions that the answers should have been onhand BEFORE the Offer Wall was added. Are people's identities at risk of being stolen? Are people at risk of being financially exploited?

If you don't do a survey, no. TP doesn't even have the data to steal your identity unless you're using your STT password on banking sites.

My ingame purchases go through the Google Play/Google Pay thingie. I hope that means that STT/DB/WRG/TP/WTWBCNW doesn't even know the last four of my card number. I hope.....

The problem is that the Offer Wall company brags about data mining people. Even if they do not open the Offer Wall. That is what concerns people.........
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

My ingame purchases go through the Google Play/Google Pay thingie. I hope that means that STT/DB/WRG/TP/WTWBCNW doesn't even know the last four of my card number. I hope.....

The problem is that the Offer Wall company brags about data mining people. Even if they do not open the Offer Wall. That is what concerns people.........

Of course, but that's my point. What are they data mining? They can find out about your device. They have an advertising ID to correlate against other networks, TP could be giving them a history of your previous purchases. But no one has your SSN, your credit card, your physical address, or similar information. Data mining is about correlating information to make predictions about you to generate more compelling offers. It doesn't generate your SSN out of thin air.
  • Options
    Daev wrote: »
    I did this last week (25th). The first response was demonstrably incorrect and when I pointed this out, I was replied to by ' Player Support Leads' who is looking into it. I'm still waiting - I'm sure they know there's a pretty strict timeline set out in the legislation. Been updating (and will continue to do so) in the other thread.

I Have no intention of hijacking the thread, apologies if it seemed that way - was only trying keep it on track, add my thoughts and add more information

BTW - I clicked on the wall, closed it and clicked on the more information button in the DIL store, my broadband provider blocked the page as it known to be malware host and phishing site.......
  • Options
    DaevDaev ✭✭✭
    I Have no intention of hijacking the thread, apologies if it seemed that way - was only trying keep it on track, add my thoughts and add more information

Not at all! Just a heads up :)

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW - I clicked on the wall, closed it and clicked on the more information button in the DIL store, my broadband provider blocked the page as it known to be malware host and phishing site.......

Chiming in on this part.

The url associated with the More Info button is: http://bit.do/sttofferwallhelp
    It is a shortened url leading to: https://startrektimelines.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050444413-Offer-Wall-FAQ

• Options
    Shan wrote: »

Chiming in on this part.

The url associated with the More Info button is: http://bit.do/sttofferwallhelp
    It is a shortened url leading to: https://startrektimelines.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050444413-Offer-Wall-FAQ

Thank you!
  • Options
    That's actually quite reassuring; thanks, @ChaosChild !
  • Options
    DaevDaev ✭✭✭
    I am getting more and more worried that the argument is going to be that by manually updating to 7.5.3 I had somehow given such consent, even though at no point in the update process was any variation to the terms made clear

Installation, use and update of the game on iOS are still governed by agreements with Distributor Beam including both the license agreement and privacy policy. So there's clearly been no formal transfer that any of us players (again on iOS) have agreed to. All our agreements are with another company. This is something that I am VERY much looking forward to finding out more about through my outstanding GDPR request.

• Options
    where it says the game is for "all ages".

Hilarious. Star Trek isn't for Kids anymore. Not since Discovery Season 1. I wouldn't let my kids play this game. It needs to have a rating of M. Also Kids shouldn't be gambling IMO.

• Options
    sad to say i hope they are sued.....might make them see that the offer wall was a mistake.....assuming a lawsuit doesn't break em....in which case Arc Games had best get on undeleting my STO characters so i can ditch Timelines if need be
  • Options
    I have started receiving alot of push notifications on my mobile where I use to have none. I have never clicked further than the first page of this Offerwall to see what was on offer. My spending had already stopped along with others. I am afraid that unless I get some kind of confirmation from the developers that our data is safe, I will be uninstalling
  • Options
    I have started receiving alot of push notifications on my mobile where I use to have none. I have never clicked further than the first page of this Offerwall to see what was on offer. My spending had already stopped along with others. I am afraid that unless I get some kind of confirmation from the developers that our data is safe, I will be uninstalling

i'll be sad to see you go but i understand your reasons atleast
  • Options

Just to clarify. I meant Push Advertisements not Notifications. Notifications would be useful, unfortunately I never seem to receive notification that my shuttles are back etc.
    I am getting advertisements for things I already own or services I already use. 😳
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Here is the update I can make at this time.

We understand your concerns and we are continuing to work closely with our Privacy Team to provide you with an overview that will address those concerns.

What I can tell you so far is that, regarding consent for ads/Offer Wall, we’ve always erred on the side of caution. This means that our game considers that consent is not given, and that no personal information is being shared.

There will be more details added in the overview that we will provide next week.

I will be x-posting this in the other thread as well.
    Again, thank you for your patience.

Hi Shan.

Could I please ask you to now expand or clarify this post of yours?

The update you have posted here today states that personal information (e.g. my DBID and my advertising ID which are emphatically personal information under EU law) is being collected and shared, despite your statement that the game considers consent is not given.

For me it really exacerbates some of my concerns. Right now, I really do not believe that TP/WRG actually understand what personal data is or what consent actually means.

Thanks.

(Sorry, I know it probably feels like I'm having a go at you and I'm really not trying to do that but I am extremely concerned that such seemingly inaccurate information was put out in a post flagged as an admin post at a time when the community was really looking for further information and reassurance.)

So, basically, when the new " Agree" Pop Up happens, we have to accept whatever TP & IronSource want to take as far as our data and whatnot, and whatever they choose 5o do with it? Or we just won't be allowed to play? When many people have invested not only our trust, but also thousands of dollars into game?!?!?

Also, why does the company need to know our battery status?!?!? Just out of curiosity.....

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Here is the update I can make at this time.

We understand your concerns and we are continuing to work closely with our Privacy Team to provide you with an overview that will address those concerns.

What I can tell you so far is that, regarding consent for ads/Offer Wall, we’ve always erred on the side of caution. This means that our game considers that consent is not given, and that no personal information is being shared.

There will be more details added in the overview that we will provide next week.

I will be x-posting this in the other thread as well.
    Again, thank you for your patience.

Hi Shan.

Could I please ask you to now expand or clarify this post of yours?

The update you have posted here today states that personal information (e.g. my DBID and my advertising ID which are emphatically personal information under EU law) is being collected and shared, despite your statement that the game considers consent is not given.

For me it really exacerbates some of my concerns. Right now, I really do not believe that TP/WRG actually understand what personal data is or what consent actually means.

Thanks.

(Sorry, I know it probably feels like I'm having a go at you and I'm really not trying to do that but I am extremely concerned that such seemingly inaccurate information was put out in a post flagged as an admin post at a time when the community was really looking for further information and reassurance.)

So, basically, when the new " Agree" Pop Up happens, we have to accept whatever TP & IronSource want to take as far as our data and whatnot, and whatever they choose 5o do with it? Or we just won't be allowed to play? When many people have invested not only our trust, but also thousands of dollars into game?!?!?

Also, why does the company need to know our battery status?!?!? Just out of curiosity.....

I've been curious about the battery status since I read it on ironSource's website. The only thing I can figure is the ad system is designed to scale down with your battery. If a 30 second ad would be too much, then you get a 20 second ad instead, that kind of thing. I don't understand why none of the text in either ironSource's site or TP's new TOS just says so if that is the reason.