Home The Bridge
Options

New crew, Red Angel

Comments

• Options
    I didn't particularly like season 2 of Disco (I'm in the minority of those who liked season 1 much better) but the Red Angel makes a lot of sense as a gauntlet character.

They could have picked someone from DS9, ENT or TOS, but given that they chose DSC, the Red Angel is the most obvious and interesting option, if we consider past gauntlet exclusives.

And the card is very likely to look great and have primary or secondary ENG :)
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an important question: is she a Michael Burnham variant or not?
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    Here's an important question: is she a Michael Burnham variant or not?
    Depends which Burnham is driving I suppose.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't particularly like season 2 of Disco (I'm in the minority of those who liked season 1 much better) but the Red Angel makes a lot of sense as a gauntlet character.

They could have picked someone from DS9, ENT or TOS, but given that they chose DSC, the Red Angel is the most obvious and interesting option, if we consider past gauntlet exclusives.

I knew I liked you. S1, baby! There were good parts in S2, but I'll take Lorca over Pike every time. (Surprise!) As to the variant question... It may not be terribly relevant. There's so many Michael's in the game and Gauntlet crew have weak bases... There will be better Michael variants out there. If it's Mama G, then she won't get (m)any events, so it won't matter much. Just my speculation.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew I liked you. S1, baby! There were good parts in S2, but I'll take Lorca over Pike every time. (Surprise!) As to the variant question... It may not be terribly relevant. There's so many Michael's in the game and Gauntlet crew have weak bases... There will be better Michael variants out there. If it's Mama G, then she won't get (m)any events, so it won't matter much. Just my speculation.

Both seasons were very good. Red Angel mystery was interesting but the payoff did not work. But that is true I think of any mystery in any show or movie except maybe Sixth Sense.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    the Red Angel was at the core of the most needlessly convoluted storyline I think Trek has ever featured.

And Armus pointlessly killing Yar was a great storyline? :p

I actually really like that episode. It was one of the better Season 1 outings.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    the Red Angel was at the core of the most needlessly convoluted storyline I think Trek has ever featured.

I actually really like that episode. It was one of the better Season 1 outings.

Denise Crosby wanted out of the show, because she felt that Yar was stagnant and was getting no character development. Then, Yar gets more character development in the opening sting and first act of that episode than she had had all season......

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Both seasons were very good. Red Angel mystery was interesting but the payoff did not work. But that is true I think of any mystery in any show or movie except maybe Sixth Sense.

I don't think season 2 was bad, it was still good tv, but it fell low on my expectations.
    (This will probably become a wall of text, by the way.)

What I liked the most about season 1 was that it felt unexpected and refreshing. The writers took risks and seemed to aim at something that would have some relevance outside of the franchise and its fandom. They actually took a lot of risks, by making choices that could alienate both new viewers and hardcore fans and they definitely did alienate some of them. But that's what made it interesting, the fact that the season (apart from the last two episodes) still worked very well and was actually something "new" to watch.
    I love VOY because of personal reasons and I can relate to its plots and characters (or to those in DS9) better than to anything in TNG or TOS, but let's be honest, "refreshing" or "new" or "original" are not words that I would use to describe any of the Trek shows that were made after TNG. DSC briefly seemed to go in that direction in season 1.
    And from that point of view it took a U turn in season 2. Which leads to my main issue with the second season, which is the writing.

Under the new showrunners the writers always play it safe. There was too much fan service in season 2. And they used trite plot devices and way too much exposition for my taste (half the time the characters tell you exactly how they feel and how you should feel and what you should think). All of this makes their writing feel artificial to me, as if I could see them sit in the writers' room and decide to put this scene in here to get this response from the viewers.

I don't know if that's their style or because they (and some of the fans) were annoyed by the moral ambiguity in season 1, but the fact that people still loved Lorca even when he turned out to be a villain, was what made him a great character. The fact that some of the plot twists in season 1 could be predicted by paying attention and having a good knowledge of the Trek universe didn't make them bad twists. It must have felt satisfying for those that were able to predict them.
    In season 2 it's possible to predict what will happen next not because it makes sense, but because you've taken a couple of storytelling classes at some point in your life (or maybe that has to do with all the exposition and the fact that I wasn't immersed enough in it, I don't know).

But my main gripe with season 2 is what they did with the characters. I know that season 1 fell low on that too, because it was mainly focused on the plot, but season 2 took a lot of interesting and halfway developed characters from season 1 and turned them into one-dimensional tropes or wrote them out of the show or both.
    I liked what season 2 did with Burnham and Spock (even though it was sometimes stressful to watch) and if I remember well it gave Tilly and Stamets some depth, but I really didn't like what they did with most of the others.
    Even Pike was basically an anti-Lorca, the perfect captain, when in The Cage he is a much more interesting and complex character.

But I can see why people liked season 2. It was still good tv and it definitely had a stronger Trek vibe than season 1.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fitting... A new character is on the way in and I win Armus #10 today. Of course, I would much rather have earned a Red Angel, but all good things come to those who wait, right? lol. Do we as of yet have a definitive date on the Red Angel’s appearance in the Gauntlet?
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fitting... A new character is on the way in and I win Armus #10 today. Of course, I would much rather have earned a Red Angel, but all good things come to those who wait, right? lol. Do we as of yet have a definitive date on the Red Angel’s appearance in the Gauntlet?

July 7th. It's right there in the initial announcement on Starfleet Communications.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    ChaosChild wrote: »

July 7th. It's right there in the initial announcement on Starfleet Communications.

Thanks for that update! If only I read those announcements consistently. lol

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options

Armus killing Yar was one episode. They didn’t string you along an entire convoluted season with it. I’d pick watching Skin of Evil over Discovery any day
  • Options

Armus killing Yar was one episode. They didn’t string you along an entire convoluted season with it. I’d pick watching Skin of Evil over Discovery any day

More convoluted than some weird tar creature that is supposed to be the embodiment and sum of the evil and dark feelings of a whole species?
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

More convoluted than some weird tar creature that is supposed to be the embodiment and sum of the evil and dark feelings of a whole species?

Yes. DS9’s The Storyteller had a similar story with that village’s Dal’Rok entity being formed from the feelings of negativity and divisiveness generated by the villagers. That one was explained a little better, by using a fragment of an Orb as the catalyst for creating the creature, of course.
  • Options

Major
    In "New Frontiers" we will learn that Armus is a Ba'ul who was cast out after the Ba'ul and the Kelpians unified, because he was too evil.....

That is interesting. Has that been confirmed? It was said at the time by the Discovery higher ups that any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Yes. DS9’s The Storyteller had a similar story with that village’s Dal’Rok entity being formed from the feelings of negativity and divisiveness generated by the villagers. That one was explained a little better, by using a fragment of an Orb as the catalyst for creating the creature, of course.

It's a real shame Trek has never tried "hard" sci-fi with regards to post-physical life, they've been used as literal deus ex machina or comic relief.

With a new lease of life on TV, I hope that gets remedied, especially as Picard gave us a glimpse with Cyber Cthulu.
  • Options

Major
    In "New Frontiers" we will learn that Armus is a Ba'ul who was cast out after the Ba'ul and the Kelpians unified, because he was too evil.....

That is interesting. Has that been confirmed? It was said at the time by the Discovery higher ups that any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

It was a joke.

🖖🖖🏻🖖🏼🖖🏽🖖🏿
    😆😆😆😆😆
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »
    So her stats looked like crap at first glance (holy crap those bases), but she's actually pretty solid.

#13 Overall Voyager, #2 ENG Proficiency, #2 SCI Proficiency, #1 DIP/ENG Gauntlet Pair, #2 DIP/SCI Gauntlet Pair, #1 ENG/SCI Gauntlet Pair, #1 SCI/ENG/DIP Voyager

I'll be damned. They finally broke the Caretaker's ENG Gauntlet stranglehold.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and its already been immo'd..... :/
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her stats compared to the other gauntlet exclusive crew.
    y09egznq7xla.jpeg
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Yeah ... I actually quite like her ... she'll be great for voyages, and I personally like the stat spread there (heavy on skill #3).
    Not only that ... her traits are really good for voyages ... Undercover Op., Human, Fed., Desperate, Astrophys., Starfleet all come up a lot (Inspiring and Xenoanth. I'm not sure about).

For me, once immortalised, she'll phase out someone like my immortal Honey Bare Jadzia, who I still use on voyages (e.g. the current DIP/ENG voyage I've got going).

Also, her bases are pretty decent when you consider event bonuses for shuttles. (EDIT: I should note, the only Burnham 5* I own is a 1/5 Away Team ... also not a base monster.) :)
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually Michael. What a pleasant surprise. SCI first on the other hand. Meh.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »
    So her stats looked like crap at first glance (holy crap those bases), but she's actually pretty solid.

#13 Overall Voyager, #2 ENG Proficiency, #2 SCI Proficiency, #1 DIP/ENG Gauntlet Pair, #2 DIP/SCI Gauntlet Pair, #1 ENG/SCI Gauntlet Pair, #1 SCI/ENG/DIP Voyager

I'll be damned. They finally broke the Caretaker's ENG Gauntlet stranglehold.

Replaced him, actually. Be interesting to see how many Banjo Bob Walls we see from here on out, and how Scarlet Messenger Walls.

• Options

By definition 100%