Home The Bridge
Options

Offer Wall and Privacy Concerns Statement

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in The Bridge
Please see our statement in Starfleet Communications
https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/16444/offer-wall-and-privacy-concerns

And use this thread for comments, it will be easier for me, thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Fi®3wallFi®3wall ✭✭✭
    <3
  • Options
    [RotP]Ran Airen[RotP]Ran Airen ✭✭✭✭
    None of this explains why, after android/amazon app store force an update, my antivirus is suddenly flagging Timelines as a problem and risk. Something has changed that AVG deems a danger.

I am NOT an expert but would just linking to another server (ironsource) set that off? And if not just any link then to a server with a questionable reputation?
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options
    None of this explains why, after android/amazon app store force an update, my antivirus is suddenly flagging Timelines as a problem and risk. Something has changed that AVG deems a danger.

I am NOT an expert but would just linking to another server (ironsource) set that off? And if not just any link then to a server with a questionable reputation?

Unfortunately I'm not an expert either and I just don't know. I'm hoping they can answer it.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that the link shortener TP uses for the Help Desk got red flagged....

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    I am satisfied with the time required to post a response. I much prefer someone taking time to check before addressing customers. It does seem that the desire to bring added features to the game may have been hasty. To me someone was trying to do something that in their view brought benefit to the players and more income to the company at the same time, I have no issue with this, without new streams continually added the game dies and then we won’t have the problems but we also don’t have the game we all enjoy. I have no idea what companies were in the pool to choose from, they picked one, perhaps better vetting was needed but as the romans said “shittus happenus “. It was an unfortunate error or maybe the partner picked was the best of the lot.
    The in game email was a good start and I believe the devs when they say more communication will come as they unravel the mess.
    I’m not that concerned to be honest, I have a single LinkedIn account for job searching, I don’t use any other social media, I prefer real human interaction. I’m almost 60 years old and having had computers since the beginning I’m sure there is plenty of my data out there ripe for picking. I’m careful I think, but I’m not going to drive myself nuts worrying about it I have many more things that take priority in this stage of life.
    I appreciate the information given, I believe lessons will be learned and better care will be taken in the future.
    Others may not share the same opinions and that’s cool diversity and differing views are what makes us stronger. LLAP
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • Options
    DaevDaev ✭✭✭
    In the meantime you can view both policies on the Tilting Point website (https://www.tiltingpoint.com).

I also think it's worth being clearer here. These policies do not yet apply to us as players of the game right? They may - subject to the notification requirements of the license and privacy policy which currently bind us, and you as the studio, but they will require our formal agreement (even if that is as simple as continued use of the game once notified).
  • Options

I'm not an expert either, but I have enough experience to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

So, when they set this up, IronSource probably provides them with a library - a file you can reference in your program to do stuff other people coded. That library probably contains the offer wall screen and whatever other stuff they need; TP/WRG probably didn't create a screen that loads IronSource's stuff (though that's definitely a possibility too).

This library is probably associated with other applications people have flagged as malware, and the antivirus apps flagged it as such. Or the library *itself* could be directly flagged. Either way, with the update, that library is now packages with STT, so it triggers antivirus apps.
  • Options
    [TFA] CaptainObvious[TFA] CaptainObvious ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Reviewing new information
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    - for ironSource, it is operation data to be able to present you with ads in game, and as far as I know (I will ask confirmation on this) the Offer Wall did not change that at all, it is still the same operational data

“The same” meaning, data you collect and pass on to IronSource? Or are they collecting data on their own, whether or not we are using the offer wall or not? This still is not clear, and it is also secondary, to what means this data is collected (“operation data”). More relevant is, what it is and who has it. And, by extension, on what grounds a fourth party is now in possession of whatever kind of data.
    people's definition of "personal data" is more vague than anything WRG/TP has put out there, and the goalposts continue to move to suit people's own suspicions and premature conclusions.

You mean more vague than yourself lumping “people” together? Maybe that is because the GDPR intentionally keeps a very broad definition of the term. I’m sure that most commenters don’t even conceive of what actually would constitute personal data.
  • Options

I'm not an expert either, but I have enough experience to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

So, when they set this up, IronSource probably provides them with a library - a file you can reference in your program to do stuff other people coded. That library probably contains the offer wall screen and whatever other stuff they need; TP/WRG probably didn't create a screen that loads IronSource's stuff (though that's definitely a possibility too).

This library is probably associated with other applications people have flagged as malware, and the antivirus apps flagged it as such. Or the library *itself* could be directly flagged. Either way, with the update, that library is now packages with STT, so it triggers antivirus apps.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, it's not that STT now has malware risk, it's that going to the wall and engaging in offers is the actual risk and steering clear of the wall (which I was doing anyway) will mean that my phone is still safe while playing?
  • Options
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, it's not that STT now has malware risk, it's that going to the wall and engaging in offers is the actual risk and steering clear of the wall (which I was doing anyway) will mean that my phone is still safe while playing?

Without knowing exactly what their library is doing behind the scenes, I wouldn't be able to say either way. From the official statement and Shan's clarification, I'd say yes you'll be fine - that's how I'm taking it at least. Don't touch the wall - or at the very least choose any offers wisely if you do - and you should be fine.

I was mainly trying to explain one way the app is flagged by antivirus software now - nothing necessarily to do with STT itself, just the offer wall, and how that could cause it without the game being a problem on its own. *Generally speaking* the library can't do anything on its own unless something calls stuff in it, but they might even have it set up that the game has to trigger it when it loads up, and then all bets are off.

Again though, FWIW, I'm personally okay with where things are now - the wall is still tacky, but they've given a response that I'm satisfied with.