Home The Bridge
Options

Datacore Current Status

D@MND@MN ✭✭✭
Players who use the Datacore site may have seen the "shutting down soon " message which has caused a lot of concern in the community as it's one of the most used tools.
We thought it best to let the everyone know this will probably not be the case now.

A number of us have decided to join Temporal agent 7 in working on Datacore, ensuring it is supported and properly funded, instead of leaving all the Development time and costs of up to $100 per month on his shoulders.

We have established a GitHub and moved development there to make this a reality, our first objectives will be to port the software to a community build, then optimize the bandwidth to cut hosting costs, (That's a lot of screenshots to read!!)

Already we are coming up with ideas to make the next version even better, if you have ideas and software development experience, check out https://github.com/orgs/stt-datacore/

We will do our best to cut the cost of hosting before asking for anything like donations from community, but thanks to all the offers we've already had of support.

There will be further updates as time goes on.

Comments

• Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow -- I have only a rudimentary understanding of modern hosting needs ... what kind of demands run on the system to be $100 per month on hosting?
  • Options
    dext74 wrote: »
    Holy cow -- I have only a rudimentary understanding of modern hosting needs ... what kind of demands run on the system to be $100 per month on hosting?

As Damn said, hosting costs / bandwidth are some of the things that the technically-minded folks are looking to optimize. Anyone who is a nerd on this stuff is totally needed and welcome to help with the project through the github.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    =j= Zathras=j= Zathras ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    The bot is on ~40 discord servers and sends alot of data in response to requests for voyage and behold advice.
  • Options
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bot is on ~40 discord servers and sends alot of data in response to requests for voyage and behold advice.

So, consolidating would definitely be better?

{I'm a nerd, just not a computer one!!!!!}
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    D@MND@MN ✭✭✭
    Exactly, we are looking at optimizing the code and slimming down the hosting costs before going any further. Once its supportable we can look at new features and improvements
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @{ACE}-D@MN to bring down hosting costs, have you considered using various providers?

I get £75 a month from Azure, have a fair amount of free AWS stuff and use a free Netlify package for hosting a nuxt-generated static site. I also used to have a Linode box that was pretty cheap, which was fine for docker images.

You need to get your architecture right, and it can be a bigger faff that using one spot, but you can get crazy savings too.
  • Options
    Thanks for letting us know! I knew people were working on a replacement/improvement but that’s all I knew. I appreciate both the update on the state of the project right now as well as all of your willingness to work on it. Thank You!
  • Options
    Have you guys considered a Patreon for the cost? Many of us throw $4 USD at a monthly card. Community resource, community funded
  • Options
    Great News. Thanx guys.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure to file TPS reports after the changes are made.
  • Options
    D@MND@MN ✭✭✭
    RegentsArw wrote: »
    Have you guys considered a Patreon for the cost? Many of us throw $4 USD at a monthly card. Community resource, community funded

Yep, there's a couple of platforms being tossed around and Patreon is in the mix. Once there's a better idea of ongoing costs once the... uh... containerization and docking and optimization (did I use those words right?)... gets narrowed down more, then the group will report back and start peddling on a street corner for handouts.

This describes it much better than i did :smiley:
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been following on discord. I just need some time to dig into it more. I live and breathe this stuff at work all day long.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for doing this!

Once you’ve placed things in containers and docked we’ll be happy to help.

Whatever any of that means. It probably involves maths which means I’d be completely rubbish at it.
  • Options
    StokeyStokey ✭✭
    Can't help with coding but happy to test things and break them if they can be broken - if that is of any use to you amazing people stepping up to keep Datacore on the road for us all?
  • Options
    Thanks, awesome folks! I don’t spend on the game, but I’d be into spending on y’alls work if you do a crowd fund thingy. We should be able to cover your costs with no trouble, even via a load of people giving you 10 cents a month lol.

I don’t know if this is a can of worms or whatever, but I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing ads on the site. If you can supplement cost covering with some (responsibly implemented) banners or something, I can’t imagine anyone’s having a problem with that.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    You know what would be super awesome, a "monthly card buy option" but instead of supporting DB/TP/WRG it goes straight to datacore servercosts. I wouldnt be surprised if alot of users buy that offer, it could be 0,99$ and/or 1,99$ and would give 25 and/or 50 Vip points. Could also be in portal packs menu
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, awesome folks! I don’t spend on the game, but I’d be into spending on y’alls work if you do a crowd fund thingy. We should be able to cover your costs with no trouble, even via a load of people giving you 10 cents a month lol.

I don’t know if this is a can of worms or whatever, but I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing ads on the site. If you can supplement cost covering with some (responsibly implemented) banners or something, I can’t imagine anyone’s having a problem with that.

IronSource can help with ads.....

😆🤔😆🤔😆

Too soon.... :smiley:

Like a joke about Wash and Reaver harpoons?

It'll always be too soon?

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

IronSource can help with ads.....

😆🤔😆🤔😆

Too soon.... :smiley:

Like a joke about Wash and Reaver harpoons?

It'll always be too soon?

1ol7szinwefq.jpeg
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm willing to pony up some dough for the 10FH Discord server usage. Keep me in the loop if you go that route. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm willing to pony up some dough for the 10FH Discord server usage. Keep me in the loop if you go that route. :)

Ditto for me & the galactic phoenicians. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Glad to hear the Datacore is sticking around.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic news! Thank you!
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understand the following paragraph from the new TOS, Datacore and even the Wiki may constitute violation.

PROPRIETARY RIGHTS AND LIMITED LICENSE

No material provided through Tilting Point Services may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, broadcast or distributed in any way, except as specifically permitted pursuant to these Terms. The Tilting Point Services, including all of their information and contents, such as names, logos, designs, text, data, wallpaper, icons, characters, artwork, images, photographs, graphics, music, sound, messages and software (collectively, “Materials and Content”), are Tilting Point property or that of our partners or licensors and are protected by patent, trademark and/or copyright under United States and/or foreign laws. Except as otherwise provided in these Terms, by the Software or on the Sites, you may not use, download, upload, copy, print, display, perform, reproduce, publish, modify, delete, add to, license, post, transmit, or distribute any Materials and Content from Tilting Point Services in whole or in part, for any public or commercial purpose without our specific prior written permission.