Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Plateau of Tomorrow - 08/20 - ME#2

Comments

• Options
    While a high rank in general will clear some of the achievements, I'm mostly interested in the chances of winning a faction event as a low spender. I'm talking about saving up resources for about two years (assuming that the game will exist for that long). Even as a monthly card player, if I don't spend any of my dilithium, I could have 72.000 of it ready to use after 24 months (+ the 11.000 that I have now). And that's a plausible scenario as my current goals in this game are:

- get Arachnia
    - reach lv99
    - win an event (?)

If Arachnia drops out of a merit pack, ends up in a campaign or I get her in the next honor sale, I will have nothing left to spend dilithium on. I would save it in case a new card that I really want ends up in a Tuesday pack or for a possible win in a faction event.
    I mean, I suppose that the player who won the last one won't go for a win in all faction events of the next 2 years.

And I know that it's a lot less expensive to win a Skirmish or Galaxy event, but I hate Galaxy events and I'm not willing to put in the time that a Skirmish win would require. It will have to be a Faction or nothing.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I see a lot of things, like growing collective hopelessness.

I see no point in trying to win a faction event when the same players regularly buy 1st-75th place with dilithium. That is their choice & that’s cool, but it’s not fun for me, so I choose to not compete in these. 🖖

I earned top 50 once, but I expended a phenomenal amount of long-saved resources. I can't imagine the saved resources required for top 5. I wonder how much money people put into it? I figure it would be far cheaper to buy the crew outright.

Congratulations @Bylo Band
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

The only viable strategy to win a Faction event is to be named GIANTrobotear. Nobody else short of Warren Buffett has permission.

or ... you could just talk to the guy? try a pleasant conversation maybe? and do it before the event starts perhaps

/SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

The only viable strategy to win a Faction event is to be named GIANTrobotear. Nobody else short of Warren Buffett has permission.

or ... you could just talk to the guy? try a pleasant conversation maybe? and do it before the event starts perhaps

Interesting concept. Asking permission to win an event.
    I mean, I suppose that the player who won the last one won't go for a win in all faction events of the next 2 years.

As noted above, you would have to ask. It's been a while since a faction event was won by someone other than the last event winner.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

As noted above, you would have to ask. It's been a while since a faction event was won by someone other than the last event winner.

I didn't realize that this was actually an "all events" and not a "lots of events thing" :sweat_smile:
    Then I guess I'll just never clear the last achievement.

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize that this was actually an "all events" and not a "lots of events thing" :sweat_smile:

As far as I can tell, that's the way it is until someone quits, gets bored, or whatever.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

If the company ever does a mid-week mini-event again, then I might have a chance to clear that last achievement. Otherwise, yeah, I’m in the same boat as you.

“It is what it is” disagrees with my OCD.
    ☮️
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    RowdenRowden ✭✭✭

Interesting concept. Asking permission to win an event.

The comment 'It's been a while since a faction event was won by someone other than the last event winner' is incorrect. Runaway Bride was won by Empress Penguin.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the comments in this thread. The Great Bird would be deeply disappointed, people. I'm deeply disappointed.....
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Rowdy, that with Empress Penguin may be right, but she's in the same fleet, so Mechie surely let her win that one. :) I don't care who wins any event, because I know I can't win any event with the amount of work I have even during weekends. But I also hoped Torsti would win this one because Mechie wins 98 purrcent of all shuttle events and so ... underdug always gets more cheers. ^^ I have never sent any message to Mechie, but I did send a support message in German language to Torsti. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    i just don’t like faction events.... :tongue:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    RowdenRowden ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Jhamel wrote: »
    Rowdy, that with Empress Penguin may be right, but she's in the same fleet, so Mechie surely let her win that one. :) I don't care who wins any event, because I know I can't win any event with the amount of work I have even during weekends. But I also hoped Torsti would win this one because Mechie wins 98 purrcent of all shuttle events and so ... underdug always gets more cheers. ^^ I have never sent any message to Mechie, but I did send a support message in German language to Torsti. :)

Supporting Torsti is wonderful. I'm very supportive of that kind of behaviour. It's just the comparison of how these two players were treated, for doing the same thing, is really telling. And it happens every faction event, I just used this event as an example. The comments to MECH actually start before the event does.

I get why people would support the underdog. Also I think people think MECHAlobe wins more events than he does, KM have won 13 of the last 14 faction events but MECH has *only* won 10, the non-KM in that was eXo SilverRose. If you look at the last 20 faction events MECH has a win percentage of 50%, goes lower the further back you include. These percentages are ridiculously high, but not near 98%.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, I think of it as "How Bad Do You Want It?" (Great song- starts with the story of Robert Johnson)
    I am a spender, but not crazy. $100 in a month would be in the upper end of average. I don't have that kind of roster depth to really consider it. How to spend my limited resources and maximize my time is part of the fun for me.
    I'm a competitive player, just not that level. I don't have the roster of ships or crew yet. Maybe in a year when it develops more. Right now my ENG and MED pool are shallow enough I can't produce 10 of either with over 800 core. I have some nice one coming up, but I have only ONE immortalized gold with ENG primary. I had no immortalized MED golds when the Bones McCoy limited achievements were up. I was on those relentlessly.
    I want success, but I want to earn it. You can have anything if you pay enough, but I like DIY. Now, off I go. I should have some shuttles back. :crosses fingers for the right parts:
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭

We can tell from your event scores :o:p
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Sadly, the sorts of trolls who will verbally harass others won’t ever really go away unless they get bored of the game or find a more tempting target for their vileness...

Or they get banned/suspended for this unacceptable behavior.
  • Options

We can tell from your event scores :o:p

:innocent:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    RowdenRowden ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The way this conversation has gone really hammers home how quite exclusive the top 10 ranks or so, regardless of event type, really are. There are tens of thousands of players, 2000 or so of which have the resources and desire to put serious effort into events, and hundreds (if not thousands) of fleets - and yet, there seems to be a tiny fraction of both populations that have a reasonable chance of winning, most of whom appear to be concentrated in just a few fleets. For anyone who still harbors thoughts of winning a Faction event and isn’t a mega spender, that must be a highly deflating obstacle - at least Skirmish and Galaxy events only require iron thumbs, chrons that can be saved up over a reasonable amount of time, and a very understanding family.

And aside from general human empathy that says it’s wrong to verbally abuse people in a game regardless of how well or poorly they’re doing, I find it a little hard to feel bad for anyone in those top fleets. “MECHAlobe doesn’t win ‘too much’, because two people that aren’t him or otherwise from our fleet have won a Faction event in the last three months” is kind of a silly claim. Like “nobody complains about people buying their way to victory in Skirmish events”...which is because you can’t buy your way to victory in them anyway - you only have 96 hours in which to gain VP, whereas with a Faction event you have every single hour you work at your job to gain resources to convert to VP during the event.

As Lorca said, I wouldn’t send nastygrams to anyone at the top of the leaderboard, I don’t like it when others do it, and there’s no place for that kind of behavior here. Sadly, the sorts of trolls who will verbally harass others won’t ever really go away unless they get bored of the game or find a more tempting target for their vileness...if you don’t want their attention, maybe take a few events off and let someone else make a run for the top.

I'll just respond to this post because you've actually used quote marks in this to indicate you've quoted me twice, but then altered what I said to produce a different meaning.

Your quote "nobody complains about people buying their way to victory in Skirmish events”...which is because you can’t buy your way to victory in them anyway

What I actually said "very rarely are players accused of buying the event (I believe has only happened once)" in the context of skirmish events

Explanation: Players can be accused of buying skirmish and skirmish type events. This is because there is a button where you can spend dil to obtain more rewards. Significant to the event type, these rewards include chronitons and victory points. The chronitons reward means there's no requirement to save lots of chronitons for this event type if you are happy enough to spend dil. The victory points have two significant advantages a) allows you to go faster than you usually could (the more rewards you claim the faster) but if click 1-2 times after every battle will allow you to go 5-10% faster. b) Going 5-10% faster means you can play 5-10% less and get the same score, which in the case of a 4 day event can mean 9 hrs more sleep. This difference is equivalent to an extra 2M VP for the players near the top of the leaderboard. Also, skirmish events can also be the second half of hybrid events, including faction-skirmish events. It's very obvious you can reduce how much time/dil you need to spend in phase 2 skirmish by accumulating more points in the faction phase.

Your quote “MECHAlobe doesn’t win ‘too much’, because two people that aren’t him or otherwise from our fleet have won a Faction event in the last three months” is kind of a silly claim.

What I actually said "If you look at the last 20 faction events MECH has a win percentage of 50%, goes lower the further back you include. These percentages are ridiculously high, but not near 98%."

Explanation: What I said was a 50% win ratio which I accepted was ridiculously high. The point of the other 3 (not 2) KM players who won in his current streak is that people attribute those wins to MECHAlobe. And this is how people think he wins every event (98% win rate was what I was replying to), because even if someone else wins, people for some reason attribute to MECHAlobe. And this is very clear from the comments since my first post i.e. the only reason Empress Penguin won is she's in the same fleet. And missing the point that this win demonstrated you don't need to spend any money to rank very highly in a faction with a low spend account if you are strategic. Unless the suggestion is the entire player base allowed her to win because she's in the same fleet as MECHAlobe.
  • Options
    RowdenRowden ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Rowden wrote: »
    I don't think the implication is the entire player base allowed her to win. But I do think the implication is MECHAlobe allowed her to win. And I don't think every player can go and ask MECHAlobe to be allowed a week to win. So yes Empress Penguin still had to beat the rest of the players, but if MECHAlobe stepped aside to let her win that's not something other players can expect.

This is a slightly dangerous and demeaning route to go because it can be applied to anyone other than MECHAlobe who wins a faction event. If you win, you won. This sort of caveats should not be added.
  • Options
    RowdenRowden ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Reply inside above quote
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I don't think the implication is the entire player base allowed her to win. But I do think the implication is MECHAlobe allowed her to win. And I don't think every player can go and ask MECHAlobe to be allowed a week to win. So yes Empress Penguin still had to beat the rest of the players, but if MECHAlobe stepped aside to let her win that's not something other players can expect.

This is a slightly dangerous and demeaning route to go because it can be applied to anyone other than MECHAlobe who wins a faction event. If you win, you won. This sort of caveats should not be added.

If MECHAlobe wants to win every week, that's his business. Honestly I don't care. I'm never going to win an event and I recognize that. My point was simply, if the week he doesn't win someone else in his fleet wins, that's not the same as a random person winning. MECHAlobe let the person win, and he's not doing that for strangers. So that's still a week he controlled the leaderboard.
  • Options
    k6bnwbf4pbyf.jpeg
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    My next sabbatical begins after this mega concludes. I hope y’all have fun. 🖖
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭

I also don't plan to win. But if Empress Penguin is indeed in the same fleet, then @SSR Barkley was being more serious than I realized about asking to win.

Not sure what being in the same fleet has to do with talking to Mech. But yes, I was being absolutely serious. Diplomacy goes a long way. There's some of us, including Rowden, who've been friends for a while and talk to each other to make sure we're not stepping on each other's toes.

The game can be more about the relationships you build and the friendships you form with others.

Maybe the reason Mech wins so many, and continues to do so convincingly is almost nobody else has bothered to come to an arrangement. What you see, instead, is the envy and loathing in the social groups and ugliness in PM's about how he continues to win events.

/SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!