Home The Bridge

How realistic is 10 billion points for community rewards?

Comments

• WaldoMag wrote: »
    I am playing two other games with what I consider big events ending today. I worked hard yesterday on those two and had some effort in Timelines. I started today with the plan of reaching threshold on both my accounts. I had to work today. Now that I am home I am too exhausted to go for more than 160k VP. All I could think of was why was I taking the time to get the rest of the threshold rewards. All there is, is a voyage supply token, a x10 premium pack, 1500 honor and what ever else and it is simply not worth my time or the Chrons used to obtain them.

On top of this on the very beginning I knew we would not hit the top community prize of x10 event pack. I thought slim chance for CD Quark. But someone earlier explained the reason. This was a five day event the first time, I am not sure this was taken into account. Meaning I am not positive that last time the top prize was 10billion.

And yes, this event was less rewards not more than what we have obtained in the past.

Edit: I do not know what to think about their community thresholds this time when I find this was last time they did it.
    aqofmdvqwpwm.jpeg

Tried to find the info in the old forum. But, I did find that we made it and a lot of people thought we would miss by 50 million. I got this from one of my posts, but I could not find the post of the predictions on making the community thresholds.

I also saw that the name I could not recall, was Becca, who did a great job as Shan is doing now, I also saw Shan in the old forum. The same Shan??

This reward structure would have been ok for this event because there are less players playing the game.

Making the higher rewards x4 higher this event was a bad move. Total score was 4.7bn at event end
  • I'll throw my 2 cents in now:
    1. I'm extremely annoyed that I had to endure the most challenging Galaxy event ever to secure my 1st ever top 50, so much for low engagement! :D
    2. I assumed we wouldn't hit the 10bil mark based on the fact that we rarely (if ever have) hit the 1bil mark in under 12 hours. I was hoping for a new * for my Quark, but that didn't happen (yet, fingers crossed.)
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    you all understand there is a difference between the regular galaxy community rewards and these special extended community rewards right? It's apples and oranges. Many people have posted the last time they did this type of extra rewards. I think it was 2.8 billion for the top. I think it would have been fair to double that due to increased number of players and vastly increased chronitons. So 6 billion would have been reasonable.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a rough one. I didn't even clear thresholds. I tried. I had a Voyage returning just before to give it a last push, but Mom had a doctor appointment at noon... :/ I didn't even hit the 300k mark.
    I was hoping to get the Quark and was disappointed there, but I had hoped the rank high enough to get a few copies of Galen. Mine is stuck at 1/4. He's nearly FE'd and I haven't seen another copy. He was an early 4* for me, but I don't use him much anymore. He's been long passed in that state. Sigh...Someday.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cpt_insano_2k1 Your post was unnecessarily rude. I will not quote it as I expect that Shan will remove it.

I prefer a challenging but possible community goal over an easy one. The thrill of "will we make it?" surpasses the risk of not making it each and every time. It is a game, and a little tension makes it more interesting. But as was mentioned by someone else: More effort has to come with better rewards outside a test balloon, as which I consider the last weekend's event.

And I hope that TP is not pushing the goal farther and farther after their readjustment to maybe 1 to 1.5 billion per day.

I would prefer to see such extended community goals on single-phase events only, which were better for Galaxies in general. I usually only play in phase 2 and I would dislike if I had to change that habit to be able to contribute.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Too easy...

Putting aside and avoiding my disagreement with that characterization...

Because their value shouldn't supercede the value of rank rewards. Inflating rank numbers for community rewards undermines and obfuscates the value and desirability of the rank rewards. Because it artificially pushes up rank making it harder for new players to reach even 4* cards. What is the value of pushing 4* cards out of reach of new players and into the accounts of older players who are only pushing up VP for the community reward and cash them in for honor? What new player will bother climbing threshold?

Community rewards that out pace the value and challenge of rank rewards are going to make more players who don't want to do four times more work and don't want to dig that deep into resources choose to sit out. When new players realize they can't rank, they will also choose to save resources for events they will get more out of when they use them.

Extremely challenging Community Rewards don't make sense beside and don't compliment rank rewards. Extremely challenging rewards may make an interesting alternative to rank rewards. A special community event type (one with perhap some expanded mandatory participation, maybe even a convergence of the three main types allowing people to choose how they contribute without worrying about balancing VP for rank). But making them harder is just going to cause more people to sit out and put more burden on the ones that don't. People who like easy will simply opt out. Just because some people find a bigger challange motivational, doesn't mean other people can or should be forced to adopt the same outlook.
  • IceCat wrote: »
    ]

Very well said. I think a lot of this goes back to the growing sense of entitlement from a lot of people who visit the forums. There seems to be a lot of it. I don't feel it serves us players, either individually or as a community.

Perhaps, instead of looking at these community rewards being unfair, we should appreciate how consistently we've been getting all the community rewards. It's funny that no one has complained they were too easy every other event that includes a community reward portion.

LLAP 🖖

For me there is no sense of entitlement, the main issue is that the goal set and what was achieved were so ridiculously far apart that it shows an ignorance of the players, the game and and takes us all for granted, the devs have completely lost touch.
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    IceCat wrote: »
    ]

Very well said. I think a lot of this goes back to the growing sense of entitlement from a lot of people who visit the forums. There seems to be a lot of it. I don't feel it serves us players, either individually or as a community.

Perhaps, instead of looking at these community rewards being unfair, we should appreciate how consistently we've been getting all the community rewards. It's funny that no one has complained they were too easy every other event that includes a community reward portion.

LLAP 🖖

For me there is no sense of entitlement, the main issue is that the goal set and what was achieved were so ridiculously far apart that it shows an ignorance of the players, the game and and takes us all for granted, the devs have completely lost touch.

The rather amusing thing about accusing other people of entitlement is that people only make the accusation when they are most guilty. They see their own sense of it in everyone else. It's an empty accusation from people who prefer to wield emotional arguments because they know logical ones aren't as strong.
  • dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its fully possible to be in the "double speak" category of being upset that community rewards weren't met while also being upset that the rewards weren't representative of the effort required to obtain them. (Putting a side for a moment the question of whether that was a possible chase or not.)

I think you can be both because the 2nd thought acknowledges why the first didnt happen - if the rewards were better on pace for the community effort, were seen a more valuable to the players who can carry the heavy weight moreso than newer players, then there would have been a bigger push to obtaining them.

I would argue that its not a sense of entitlement about not receiving a 4 year old 1/5* card and some pack pulls that more than likely would have been nothing than honor for established players... being upset about not obtaining the rewards, at least to me, is more about the demoralizing impact upon the players and community and the unrealistic expectations that TP demonstrated by not understanding their player base better.

Are people going to be less likely to push the next time they offer expanded community rewards because of the futile experience that this event caused? Quite possibly. And that's not good for the game, the community, or TP's bottom line.
  • Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Calhoun wrote: »
    I’m curious as to why some people are defending TP/WRG here, we’re talking about how unrealistic the community rewards were and Shan even admitted that they’ll be looking into it. It’s totally understandable to be upset about the community rewards, I am. I’m just not sure why some people are trying to say that it’s ‘ok’ how much TP/WRG has been messing up lately. Sorry if i’m interpreting things wrong, i’m not very happy with TP/WRG right now myself. I don’t know what i’d do with my spare time if we didn’t have STT anymore, hopefully something improves soon as I would hate for no one to care about the game anymore. As i’ve been playing for 4 years (almost!) I feel how stale it has become and once again, I hope some changes happen soon, for the better. 🖖🖖🖖🖖🖖

Not necessarily defending, but I think some of the reaction is rather over the top. The community rewards are framed as a goal, not an automatic entitlement.

The fact that we didn’t make it half way to the top suggests they might have been an unrealistic goal, but several players here and elsewhere were confidently predicting that we’d get there.

There are also those who seemed to have high expectations for this event as being something special, which seems to be contributing to the reaction, when it was made clear that the Convergence Day celebrations are yet to come.

I get the general frustration with the state of the game, and share it to a degree, but the constant melodrama from some is tedious.

Also, it's rather telling that people have almost consistently trashed the rewards available for this past event, yet are complaining so much that they didn't get them. Interesting that the rewards were apparently simultaneously "trash" and desired at the same time. 🤔

This double talk is getting increasingly frustrating to read. With all due respect, please make up your mind. If the rewards were so "bad", why are people so upset they didn't get them?

Its also getting increasingly frustrating to deal with people that are as ignorant as you.

Here it is, plain and simple:

1. The rewards were trash. They were not worth spending resources to acquire.

2. The community rewards points have been established as being “easy” for quite some time. The reward tiers they changed to was an enormous uptick in activity requirements compared with almost any other galaxy event ever. Its a bad precedent and one that most players are not in favor of, regardless of the “reward”

You attempt to use these two truths to point out an inconsistency in behavior and argument, but all you succeeded in doing was pointing out your own incompetence and intolerance to opinions differing from your own.

Two things can be true at the same time. It does not mean that there is hypocrisy.

1. Just because you didn't like the rewards, does not mean they were trash. Competition amongst the top ranks was higher than it has ever been before for this type of event.

2. This doesn't even take into account that a lot of newer/lower level players were probably happy to get copies of crew they didn't have. Just because some of us didn't benefit from all the rewards being offered, doesn't mean everyone didn't.

3. The community rewards have been easy for some time. Probably too easy. We finally get an event where it was a challenge, and everyone lost their minds.

Comment removed. ~Shan

5. You seem to be unable to see the forest for the trees. You are either unwilling or unable to look at the big picture, just because you personally aren't happy. Try looking at this from all sides, instead of making personal attacks.

I numbered the paragraphs in your response to make addressing them easier.

1.: competition among the top ranks was fierce. This has nothing to do with the community or ranked rewards though. This was due to people seeing an opportunity to work on personal best ranks in an event that had low community participation. The better gauge is to look at the event points required for rank 1500, which is more of a pulse of community engagement than the top 25.

2. Klingon quark is a nightmare card for new players. Resource taxing to level, and only useful in other events. Happy to get the reward because they didnt have it? Ok, yeah, its a card collecting fame, so if they are fans of human q, galen and klingon quark i guess tjis event made their day.

3. Your opinion that community rewards were too easy is probably accurate. However, your assessment that the unannounced increase in difficulty by 400% was “challenging” is just more wrg/tp bootlicking. It was a disgrace. We have never hit thresholds like that, and when you consider that the majority of seasoned players recognize how worthless the event crew were, how could anyone in their right minds expect the goal ti be met? Beside that point, if they want to turn up the difficulty, they should do it by adding rewards that are higher value. The top ranked community reward was an event pack 10 pull, requiring 10 billion community points to reach, when we were getting standard ten pulls for 2.5. Thats the problem.

4. Ok then! While some here are flying your banner because you tow the line, im not buying it.

5. This is where you got it wrong. You are the one who is so entrenched in the position that we should not have an opinion differing from yours. I made my points clear to you, and you are the one who snapped. You did not address the points that I made and then you accuse me of not seeing both sides. I saw your side, I saw what was wrong with your assessments, and i smelled BS so I went for the jugular.

As a forum “lurker”, are you aware that people have been quitting this game in massive numbers? And that even more are threatening to do the same? To you this is “entitlement?” Get it straight, lab partner. The company is, and has been messing up for a long time. If a company is to thrive and continue existing it needs to take criticisms seriously. Comment removed. ~Shan

Im not here because im trying to tear the game down. Im here because the trends are bad. The player base is waning. And a game i enjoy had become stagnant and is on the cusp of losing its community. So stop acting like you are the newest white knight thats going to bash down criticism until the forums become a Utopia.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too put out by not getting all the rewards. Admittedly, I was busy with RL, so couldn't participate fully. I don't have the time investment that most did. Maybe the extra tiers could have been tested sooner. But really, I'm of the opinion that it's ok if we don't get everything. I hope RL is less busy so in can contribute more and maybe help get us closer next time. And maybe Quark can pop in with a lower offer that will be more achievable for the community.

This could even be an opening for an auxiliary legendary during mega events. I'll go post that in the Make It So section. We certainly don't get everything posted there because we are a creative community with many ideas. I have seen the 1,000 inventory limit addressed, though we didn't get the solution we wanted. Ship sorting mentioned there was also addressed, though not in voyages yet, like we had hoped. I can't remember, but I think the search bar for away missions and expeditions was mentioned there in some capacity. I'll throw one more thought in there. Maybe it could happen later, now that I know they are open to expanding/modifying community rewards.
    Farewell 🖖
  • MonArkMonArk ✭✭✭
    The "people weren't excited about the Quarks" has been well-discussed, so let me just toss this out there...

If they did expanded community rewards for the last week of a Mega, with the fifth star for the recurring legendary and/or a recap 10x at the top thresholds - which are set at quite challenging but possible-to-hit levels - how different does the motivation level look? Much more interest, with people pushing to immortalize the legendary? Just above average, because a bunch of top players already added a cite? Thoughts?
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Almost any existing legendary would result in the same conversation. Some who want it and some who say it's not worth the effort. No judgement, the same debate will happen again, rightly or wrongly. If the results of this event, and the opinions about the allowance of failure and sitting out because it's not with it, continue what's the point?

The only way to actually avoid the same conversation and (likely) failure is to make it a new Legendary, and running a new in the rank and community just isn't going tp happen.

If failure is likely or possible this conversation will happen every time it does. One group wanting TP to pay it out or adjust it down, the other ranting about entitlement and loving failure. Every time the community rewards don't top out we will see the same situation. I don't see the point of that, but maybe others do.

The only way to avoid this is to swap put the rank rewards for community rewards so that you can put a new Legendary at the top of it. Add temporary achievements for three copies of the new SR to ensure participation in the event. For example, if they had put Luau Paris at the top of the community rewards and made the achievements Galaxy task related to get the group copy everyone would have to play the event and at least one achievement would ensure people played to at least some extent. If the community rewards failed everyone would still have the three copies they got from the achievement but not the 4th. Most people aren't going to complain about ending up with a 3/5 (or in the case of a SR a 3/4) if the community reward fails. Failure would be possible, but it wouldn't result in this argument.

But if you clash a community rewards with rank rewards and put an existing at the top I can pretty much guarantee this will be the aftermath every time.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    We even got two.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like something was done so the first one gives CD Quark and the second is a normal random portal.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Straight drop Dixon Hill here. and two purp beholds. Got an Android kirk I needed. Straight drop Klingon Quark on 2nd
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay for two free pulls! Though my first one was a bit...mixed:

q0nas34qkvw2.png

Third star for Judge Q and got to finish the La Sirena. But...couldn’t I have gotten a bit more honor? Second pull was a Human Q (already FF) and almost all honor, so kinda balances out. Kinda.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • AviTrek wrote: »
    I feel like something was done so the first one gives CD Quark and the second is a normal random portal.

First pull gave me COP Picard, 2nd Judge Q.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice of them to give the free pulls. I appreciate the sentiment and “acknowledgement” of an unobtainable goal.
  • calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    First was 1100 honor (Klingon Quark was auto-drop). Second pack gave 3td star for COP as the auto-drop and 900 honor.

Not a horrible net for 2 event packs.
  • AviTrek wrote: »

Two normal event packs for me: one Human Q, one Klingon Quark. No Golds. No Beholds.
  • There is 2x10 pull from this event in portal. I just got one Quark and two other legendaries. :)
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Two normal event packs for me: one Human Q, one Klingon Quark. No Golds. No Beholds.

Guess I was wrong then. I got lucky with CD Quark on my first pull and saw someone else get Quark and assumed he was guaranteed. Two event packs is still a nice gesture.
  • KadavarKadavar ✭✭✭
    Mine was a Klingon Quark and a Human Q too, but had two beholds, one of which was a card id don't have, so a good result from 2 pulls these days.
This discussion has been closed.