Home The Bridge

How realistic is 10 billion points for community rewards?

Comments

• Calhoun wrote: »
    If it's going to be particularly annoying if a community reward is reached towards the end of the event - for some of us it will be very late at night or early in the morning..

The event pack always stays live for a day after an event ends, so whatever unclaimed rewards you have should be available when real life permits.

But won't they need to claim the rewards from the event first? Since they're community rewards and not ranked rewards.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calhoun wrote: »
    If it's going to be particularly annoying if a community reward is reached towards the end of the event - for some of us it will be very late at night or early in the morning..

The event pack always stays live for a day after an event ends, so whatever unclaimed rewards you have should be available when real life permits.

Redeem yes, but you need to claim the community rewards before the phase (in this case event) ends.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I think this is a good opportunity to think about the squadron reward structure (and how bad it is) and think of what they are trying to do with this events community rewards.

Why not just take off several of those zeroes and make it a squadron goal?

The old galaxy community reward structure allowed for everyone to get all rewards, in many cases without even really trying.

This community reward structure is too steep. Especially over a holiday weekend. It requires entire community engagement, not just the 30 people who come to these forums, and certainly way more than the 400 in the discord channel. And its not exactly a ranked reward that has everyone fired up about.

So yeah. I say take this attempt, modify it to be an aggressive goal for a group of 5 players, and turn it into a revamped squadron reward. FOR ALL EVENT TYPES. Imagine, squads could be locked from event beginning to end, and based upon pooled points from that squad, reward tiers are earned and claimed throughout the event. If it was desired to have squads unlocked during the event, then rewards could be claimed at event end (otherwise this could probably be exploited).
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    dext74 wrote: »
    I hate to come off so negative at the start of the year, but going into halfway of the event with only a quarter of the community rewards attained, something feels off. Its going to be another huge morale hit to the community if rewards aren't obtained. You want to assume that they did the math, looked at past points, and set an obtainable goal, but either they didnt look at the math for a rerun specifically, or they massively misread their player investment and engagement levels, opting instead for nice round numbers that looked good.

And it comes with an event that got a rocky start with unclaimable rewards and an incorrect reward structure... all of which a week after a similar massive misread of players' expected response to art change issues.

I just can't seem to shake the feeling lately about how out of touch the developers are acting. I'm usually one of the positive people and supportive of the game, but man, they're making it difficult of late to be on their side and feel like things are moving in a stable direction.

For one, they are cramming the event into four days when it was originally five, but leaving the thresholds the same.
    If they are shortening the event 20% then they need to reduce the thresholds accordingly. Top being 8b with the incremental threshold amounts skewed down as well.
    I'm on track to clear thresholds and I hope with less competition, since so few seem interested in her, I might pick up the gold.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • If by Sunday lunchtime we're still on the same pace then I'd say CD Quark is certainly out of reach. Maybe the bar was set so high as they thought we'd scrap harder for CD Quark? Most people seem fairly indifferent to him. Perhaps if there had been a new card added it might have motivated the community to really go for it. So either the bar was set too high, or it's a missed opportunity.
  • MonArkMonArk ✭✭✭
    I think we'll hit the 4-pack reward, but not the CD Quark or the ten pack. It seems like progress has slowed down so far today. Sure, there will be a late bounce when players who haven't been turning in SR's do, but I think it's going to get harder to hit the higher marks as the personal-threshold-and-stop players wrap up, and as newer players just hit the wall with stockpiled items and chrons.

I'd be curious to see this same community reward structure on the different types of events to see how they compare.
  • I'm not convinced that the count is accurate. At least twice I've logged in, and the number wasn't changing. I can't imagine that literally no one in the STT playerverse was playing at midday on a Saturday. The computational power required to add up everything and broadcast it in real time seems rather extreme to me. Maybe I'm just too skeptical.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced that the count is accurate. At least twice I've logged in, and the number wasn't changing. I can't imagine that literally no one in the STT playerverse was playing at midday on a Saturday. The computational power required to add up everything and broadcast it in real time seems rather extreme to me. Maybe I'm just too skeptical.
    It probably grabs the current score, shows a lower score, and then shows the increment on our side, giving a closer estimate of what is going on, and every x amount of time fetchs an update of the score, to keep it going (so year, we are a little behind, but not much)
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's likely to happen is that, come Monday morning, TP will reduce the community reward thresholds to numbers that will be crossed before the event ends. It's worth keeping in mind that these are rewards that are meant to be given out; it's not like they save anything if the players don't get them. I've seen this happen in other games I've played that use community rewards; some times developers just overestimate an event's interest.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Thorozar Thorozar ✭✭✭✭
    I would say the community likely gets around 7B vp at the rate we are at, factoring in the SR hoarding. My estimate is also likely high. Unless they adjust the tiers, we miss top 2 rewards.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    What's likely to happen is that, come Monday morning, TP will reduce the community reward thresholds to numbers that will be crossed before the event ends. It's worth keeping in mind that these are rewards that are meant to be given out; it's not like they save anything if the players don't get them. I've seen this happen in other games I've played that use community rewards; some times developers just overestimate an event's interest.
    I'm hoping as well, since I feel that the rewards were some sort of unofficial celebration, and I think that yeah, they overestimated participation, for a rerun in new year's eve, of a galaxy after a skirmish. They probably picked a huge number, but below the global score of past events, and didn't take into account those factors.
  • Kanon wrote: »
    It probably grabs the current score, shows a lower score, and then shows the increment on our side, giving a closer estimate of what is going on, and every x amount of time fetchs an update of the score, to keep it going (so year, we are a little behind, but not much)

Perhaps, but the number didn't change for several hours. I just don't think it's working correctly.
  • KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »

I was thinking along the same lines. I have a hunch that whatever rewards are not earned will end up in our mailbox.
  • KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    KPan [ISA] wrote: »
    I was thinking along the same lines. I have a hunch that whatever rewards are not earned will end up in our mailbox.

Which will indirectly train us to assume we can just not participate and still get the community rewards... which will cause a community outrage the first time they aren't sent... so WR are backed into a corner for that decision.

Good points, which is why I think the rewards will come with an admission of error on the VP thresholds and a one time only sort of statement. All in the name of convergence day celebrations.
  • Calhoun wrote: »

What she is trying to say is that if the community gets to that prize it would be too late to be used during the event itself.
  • dext74 wrote: »
    I hate to come off so negative at the start of the year, but going into halfway of the event with only a quarter of the community rewards attained, something feels off. Its going to be another huge morale hit to the community if rewards aren't obtained. You want to assume that they did the math, looked at past points, and set an obtainable goal, but either they didnt look at the math for a rerun specifically, or they massively misread their player investment and engagement levels, opting instead for nice round numbers that looked good.

And it comes with an event that got a rocky start with unclaimable rewards and an incorrect reward structure... all of which a week after a similar massive misread of players' expected response to art change issues.

I just can't seem to shake the feeling lately about how out of touch the developers are acting. I'm usually one of the positive people and supportive of the game, but man, they're making it difficult of late to be on their side and feel like things are moving in a stable direction.

For one, they are cramming the event into four days when it was originally five, but leaving the thresholds the same.
    If they are shortening the event 20% then they need to reduce the thresholds accordingly. Top being 8b with the incremental threshold amounts skewed down as well.
    I'm on track to clear thresholds and I hope with less competition, since so few seem interested in her, I might pick up the gold.

TP: "We forgot the original run was 5 days, we should have reduced the rewards VP accordingly. It was an oversight........" :D

oohhhh, and the community was also twice as big as now!
  • CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

What she is trying to say is that if the community gets to that prize it would be too late to be used during the event itself.

Well, that's an annoyance too, but I meant that we wouldn't be able to claim it. The ability to do so ends when the phase does. Can't redeem what you haven't claimed.
    KPan [ISA] wrote: »

Which will indirectly train us to assume we can just not participate and still get the community rewards... which will cause a community outrage the first time they aren't sent... so WR are backed into a corner for that decision.

I suppose it depends on how TP want to use community rewards in the future. If they just want to stick with the nominal target which will be easily reached within the first day in most events, there's no great harm in providing the rewards here. If they want to set higher targets for people to actually strive for, then this is a chance to start getting people used to missing out.

Some will complain but that's always the way.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's an annoyance too, but I meant that we wouldn't be able to claim it. The ability to do so ends when the phase does. Can't redeem what you haven't claimed.

Except it's one phase event. Also, in a normal galaxy event, as long as you get VP in phase one you get the community rewards, even if you don't claim them until phase 2. I've done it.
This discussion has been closed.