Home The Bridge
Options

ISM for equipment drops - Do you like the change in campaigns?

Comments

• Options
    Yes
    Those Loot box-es only gave random crap now, it used to be dependent on what crew you had that missing items now it just gives CRAP. So yes ISM = CREW. More importantly 5* crew.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Yes
    Replace Rep rations and Trainers while you’re at it. Crates were a constant annoyance and often gave me things I didnt need which require me to hunt for it in inventory to add it as replicator fuel. As others have said I would have preferred a little bit of Quantum to ISM but they don’t want to give away the farm.

ISM will help get more crew and do so without spending Dil or money on pack deals. Why anyone would prefer item crates to that is beyond me. Just replicate the item you need and move on.
  • Options
    No
    For newer players with lots of crew Equip these loot boxes are great. You often get hard to get /expensive equipment. Saving you chrons, faction items and credits.

For established rosters who do not have a lot of crew to equip , plenty of chrons and faction items they might be rather useless.

ISM is not the limiting factor for retrieval , quanteum is
    Replacing loot boxes with ISM might be an improvement for veterans but bad for newer players.
  • Options
    No, do not like.
    Equipment boxes were one of the most useful pieces in the campaign for me. At my stage the 4 stars they choose mostly become honor but the equipment crates help level all my crew, at least the premium crates do.
    Quantum would have been a better addition than ISM.
  • Options
    BarnBurnerBarnBurner ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I guess the usefulness of campaign rewards depends on the player and how long they've been around. To me personally the campaign crates aren't essential, but they're a lot more useful than replicator rations, trainers and chrons. By leaving the right items unequipped, I've collected quite a lot of 3* science lessons, social lessons, psychological evaluations and so on, through those crates.

I still like the change, especially if it's temporary. ISM is the main obstacle for me with the new feature, since I'm only interested in a few cards that are in the portal and I need to get the right polestars to retrieve them. I'm currently spending all my ISM on scans, by doing 7 to 9 of them every day.

If they should keep the format, then maybe it would be nice to bring back some of the campaign crates and replace a few other rewards instead. Or go back to the 120 tier option.

Its also important to keep in mind that the usefulness of the campaign rewards is also inversely related to the probability of being banned from the game.

Which these guys will do whenever they feel like it. So yeah, throw your money away. These people still feel like they were in the right to ban people for their own mistake. Sounds like a good reason to give them money.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, the text of the announcement makes it look like the change is a one-time thing. My guess is that the sheer amount of ISM in this campaign will not be duplicated in the future. It appears to be more or less promotional in order to get more people using and enjoying crew retrieval. Responses here have shifted from 3-to-1 in favor to 2-to-1 in favor. (And again, we on the forum are a small subset of players.) I kind of expect loot boxes to come back in future campaigns, though some may be replaced by ISM. But... it's WRG. I could be way off.

I didn’t catch that at first. After re-reading, I’d say the text is vague enough that they could do it either way - a one-time thing or a permanent change - and safely claim that whichever method they choose is what they meant all along. I guess that’s ok. Just like the 120 tiers, they are live-testing various scenarios to see how we respond. Anyone feeling like a rat in a maze yet? 😅🐁
  • Options
    No
    For the record, the text of the announcement makes it look like the change is a one-time thing. My guess is that the sheer amount of ISM in this campaign will not be duplicated in the future. It appears to be more or less promotional in order to get more people using and enjoying crew retrieval. Responses here have shifted from 3-to-1 in favor to 2-to-1 in favor. (And again, we on the forum are a small subset of players.) I kind of expect loot boxes to come back in future campaigns, though some may be replaced by ISM. But... it's WRG. I could be way off.

I didn’t catch that at first. After re-reading, I’d say the text is vague enough that they could do it either way - a one-time thing or a permanent change - and safely claim that whichever method they choose is what they meant all along. I guess that’s ok. Just like the 120 tiers, they are live-testing various scenarios to see how we respond. Anyone feeling like a rat in a maze yet? 😅🐁

If being banned wasn’t enough to make you realize that they view this gaming community as something they own and control, im quite surprised that something as subtle as ism being added to a reward track made you feel like a rat in a maze.

In my opinion, the “reward change” is not a reward at all. At the end of the day, they are giving more ism, which can only result in obtaining constellations, which you have to then use ism to open, but to even use the “rewards” from the third round of rng, you need quantum.

They gave you more incentive to buy quantum with dilithium.

And then they will ban you.
  • Options
    No
    BarnBurner wrote: »
    I guess the usefulness of campaign rewards depends on the player and how long they've been around. To me personally the campaign crates aren't essential, but they're a lot more useful than replicator rations, trainers and chrons. By leaving the right items unequipped, I've collected quite a lot of 3* science lessons, social lessons, psychological evaluations and so on, through those crates.

I still like the change, especially if it's temporary. ISM is the main obstacle for me with the new feature, since I'm only interested in a few cards that are in the portal and I need to get the right polestars to retrieve them. I'm currently spending all my ISM on scans, by doing 7 to 9 of them every day.

If they should keep the format, then maybe it would be nice to bring back some of the campaign crates and replace a few other rewards instead. Or go back to the 120 tier option.

Its also important to keep in mind that the usefulness of the campaign rewards is also inversely related to the probability of being banned from the game.

Which these guys will do whenever they feel like it. So yeah, throw your money away. These people still feel like they were in the right to ban people for their own mistake. Sounds like a good reason to give them money.

Sure. But to kind of quote what you said to me in another thread, I don't need anyone to tell me what to do with my money :wink:

Excellent point. And im happy for you.
  • Options
    No
    It depends. If TP uses it as excuse to put crappy crew in the premium track (like Lt. Uhura) then no. If the crew is decent then it adds to the value.

Haven't bought the last two campaigns. As long as the offered crew is just average, a few more ISM will not make any difference for me.

Lt. Uhura is the 35th best voyager and a bridge crew with event bonus. potential.She is in no way crappy.

Maybe crappy is a bit too harsh. But she will not benefit most advanced roasters.

- She was on a Tuesday pack as I remember, so most captains will not have her. Means you need to use the citation from the campaign to make her 5/5. I would rather use the citation on a better crew.
    - Little event value with "Communicator" and "Resourceful" as outstanding traits.
    - Not in any collections
    - Voyage #6 for CMD/DIP but behind EDF Adira and Luau Paris which have been more or less free (4/5)

Compared to a High Roller Sisko or Pah-wraith Keiko she might not be crappy, but I doubt I will have ever the desire to chase her for my roaster
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    No
    I’ve been in the minority about this since the beginning, I liked them, I got a lot of great things from them. At the end of the day it’s disappointing but I’ll move on, the ISM is a welcome addition to pinpoint the last 40 crew I’m missing.
  • Options
    Yes
    OMG yes finally no more useless equipment boxes this may be the best change since i started playing in 2016
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceCat wrote: »
    Undecided, but...
    Pro: stop worrying about fleet sizes. 18K ISM on the free track? Even the solo/family-fleet players should be ok with this.
    Con: the choke point is quantum, not ISM, constellations, or polestars. Many players will soon face the dilemma of whether to retrieve someone on their “meh” list versus missing out on quantum drip while waiting for the crucial polestar needed to get someone on their “omg yes!” list. I fully expect several posts about that topic in roughly 1.5 weeks from now.

From the dev side, I understand it. They recently created 1) an inventory overflow warning flag, 2) a way to turn items into rations, and 3) a way to simply chuck items into space for zero return - all because players have griped about inventory issues for years. This reduces one of the sources of unwanted inventory, so it makes sense.

I appreciate your perspective. A lot of people here seem to think in black and white. In most cases, there are shades of grey (and not the awful clip show episode 😆), and nuance gets left by the wayside.

Personally, so far, I'm excited for the added ISM, but I don't like the loss of crates as the exchange. I, like a lot of people, found them useful for equipping my crew. I personally would much rather trainers or rations be replaced, if anything needed to be.

I do respect the fact that for some, those items are much more valuable than they are for me. That's the difficulty in trying to please everybody. There is a lot to balance.

Personally, I think equipment can benefit everyone, both newer players and established veterans. New players need to build their roster up. Vets like the surprise of more cost extensive equipment showing up. Most people seemed happy with the result, either way.

Removing rations seems like the best choice as:

1) a lot of people don't need them/have more than they'll ever use
    2) more rations can be created via the replicator with excess items, especially for those at or near the inventory cap
    3) it is much easier/cheaper to create a ration than replicate an item

I also agree with the person that stated this poll is biased due to it being heavily weighted towards end game players. And I say that as a later stage player. I feel the POV of rookies/intermediate players aren't being heard. More experienced players tend to frequent the forums.

And as been said, the Reddit sub has a totally different opinion. If you were to ask this in-game, where there is a much broader player pool, you might find a different result.

In the end, I feel the best option is to not remove anything from the rewards, and just add ISM as a bonus. If that is unrealistic, I think removing another item, such as replicator rations is the best way to go. Or increase the tiers back to 120, and space it out more.

So, based on an either/or option of the poll, I can't vote yes or no. I would vote for a third option somewhere in the middle. Perhaps, "yes, ISM addition is great, but the crates being removed is not".

Of course, others may have differing POV, depending on their goals in the game and stage of play. YMMV.

LLAP 🖖

Can't control who does and doesn't come to the forum. That's why these polls must be taken with a grain of salt. That's just unavoidable.

As to the options... I wanted a straight up or down vote. There's a million shades of grey. I invited everyone to throw in their two cents and give the bigger picture. It resulted in several posts about how the devs could have done it better. I'm quite happy with the results in that regard. And the results show how many people on the forum like it and how many didn't. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm happy with that too. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undecided, but...
    Pro: stop worrying about fleet sizes. 18K ISM on the free track? Even the solo/family-fleet players should be ok with this.
    Con: the choke point is quantum, not ISM, constellations, or polestars. Many players will soon face the dilemma of whether to retrieve someone on their “meh” list versus missing out on quantum drip while waiting for the crucial polestar needed to get someone on their “omg yes!” list. I fully expect several posts about that topic in roughly 1.5 weeks from now.

From the dev side, I understand it. They recently created 1) an inventory overflow warning flag, 2) a way to turn items into rations, and 3) a way to simply chuck items into space for zero return - all because players have griped about inventory issues for years. This reduces one of the sources of unwanted inventory, so it makes sense.

I appreciate your perspective. A lot of people here seem to think in black and white. In most cases, there are shades of grey (and not the awful clip show episode 😆), and nuance gets left by the wayside.

Personally, so far, I'm excited for the added ISM, but I don't like the loss of crates as the exchange. I, like a lot of people, found them useful for equipping my crew. I personally would much rather trainers or rations be replaced, if anything needed to be.

I do respect the fact that for some, those items are much more valuable than they are for me. That's the difficulty in trying to please everybody. There is a lot to balance.

Personally, I think equipment can benefit everyone, both newer players and established veterans. New players need to build their roster up. Vets like the surprise of more cost extensive equipment showing up. Most people seemed happy with the result, either way.

2) more rations can be created via the replicator with excess items, especially for those at or near the inventory cap

I also agree with the person that stated this poll is biased due to it being heavily weighted towards end game players. And I say that as a later stage player. I feel the POV of rookies/intermediate players aren't being heard. More experienced players tend to frequent the forums.

And as been said, the Reddit sub has a totally different opinion. If you were to ask this in-game, where there is a much broader player pool, you might find a different result.

In the end, I feel the best option is to not remove anything from the rewards, and just add ISM as a bonus. If that is unrealistic, I think removing another item, such as replicator rations is the best way to go. Or increase the tiers back to 120, and space it out more.

So, based on an either/or option of the poll, I can't vote yes or no. I would vote for a third option somewhere in the middle. Perhaps, "yes, ISM addition is great, but the crates being removed is not".

Of course, others may have differing POV, depending on their goals in the game and stage of play. YMMV.

LLAP 🖖

Can't control who does and doesn't come to the forum. That's why these polls must be taken with a grain of salt. That's just unavoidable.

As to the options... I wanted a straight up or down vote. There's a million shades of grey. I invited everyone to throw in their two cents and give the bigger picture. It resulted in several posts about how the devs could have done it better. I'm quite happy with the results in that regard. And the results show how many people on the forum like it and how many didn't. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm happy with that too. :)

That's fair. I apologise if that sounded like a critique of your methods or your poll. Neither was intended.

I only wanted to cover a few different perspectives that came to me while reading this thread and thinking about your question/the changes they made.

Maybe I was off base, and if so, I am sorry.
  • Options
    Undecided, but...

LLAP 🖖

That's fair. I apologise if that sounded like a critique of your methods or your poll. Neither was intended.

I only wanted to cover a few different perspectives that came to me while reading this thread and thinking about your question/the changes they made.

Sorry, I'm also touchy about polls. It's a long standing thing for me. Biased polls bother me. I do my best to keep them neutral. It's good that you point out the polling sample. Since that's beyond my control, it's good to try and identify how it could skew the results. I've also seen forum polls be presented as something they are not: an accurate representation of all players. :D
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undecided, but...

LLAP 🖖

Sorry, I'm also touchy about polls. It's a long standing thing for me. Biased polls bother me. I do my best to keep them neutral. It's good that you point out the polling sample. Since that's beyond my control, it's good to try and identify how it could skew the results. I've also seen forum polls be presented as something they are not: an accurate representation of all players. :D

All good. I think essentially we're on the same page. I commend you for all you do for these forums and this game 🖖
  • Options
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    ISM is not the limiting factor with this new feature. It will always be quantum. If they handed out some of that then it would be decent. Otherwise I'd rather take the gamble on something useful. I keep a lot of low level cards around specifically to farm things like 1* and 2* ID codes.

Ism is the limiter because you need the right polestars for what you need. I have near full quantum but the crew I want I do not have the correct polestars for. So I need ism to scan for and open constellations.

I am in a similar position, but I can also see that reversing as we all stock up on polestars.
    Farewell 🖖