Home The Bridge

ISM for equipment drops - Do you like the change in campaigns?

Comments

• ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I like the equipment crates.
  • Yes
    Thank you TP for listening and for making ISM more widely available to small fleets and individuals. :)
    It's a big YES from my small fleet.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    IceCat wrote: »
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Not going to make much of a difference really.

They've swapped equipment that I'll never use for ISM that I'll never need. 18K per month (36K with the premium track) is more than anyone will ever need, unless you're spending 1000s of dilithium on extra quantum.
    EnderW wrote: »
    While definitely not a fan of the crates, I do hope they pair all this extra ISM with a way to more directly get Constellations. Scanning alone won't be enough.

Now, this is likely another test of their's to see how players respond to a change. So I would not be surprised if they change things in the campaign after this one.

Interesting difference of opinion. One of you seems to be saying that constellations drop too frequently given recharge rates on quantum, the other that they don’t do frequently enough. I don’t have a great feel for it yet, but it does seem to me that to get what you want, you’ll need to get a lot of polestars, most of which will go unused. And that seems fine.

I guess roughly 50% of polestars will be useless. I already have multiple Federation, Starfleet and Human polestars, which hardly narrow down the crew. If all three are selected then I get 293 crew.

Interesting that you said this. I just used one of the "useless" polestars to guarantee getting the number 1 voyager in the game. Captain Braxton, for those who aren't familiar.

I think a lot of people are trapped in a way of thinking that keeps them from seeing outside of the box. You see Federation as useless. I've already found multiple ways to use it to get a specific crew, including the Braxton I just got.

Just want to give perspective from the other side of the coin. 🖖

I just got my third Federation polestar. It came from a Gabrielle Burnham polestar. Two things:
    1) There was a 77% chance to get a polestar that I wanted, but I got Federation.
    2) I also have 3 Human polestars.

While there is some use for both of these polestars if you only have one or two, subsequent duplicates effectively become useless. We're what, two weeks in? If the trend continues, I'll have like 5 Human, Starfleet, and Federation polestars two weeks from now. While one may not seem useless, I think time will render them such by sheer numbers.

And I have 6 Federation polestars. There are so many humans and Federation people we will be drowning in them.
    Let’s fly!
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceCat wrote: »
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Not going to make much of a difference really.

They've swapped equipment that I'll never use for ISM that I'll never need. 18K per month (36K with the premium track) is more than anyone will ever need, unless you're spending 1000s of dilithium on extra quantum.
    EnderW wrote: »
    While definitely not a fan of the crates, I do hope they pair all this extra ISM with a way to more directly get Constellations. Scanning alone won't be enough.

Now, this is likely another test of their's to see how players respond to a change. So I would not be surprised if they change things in the campaign after this one.

Interesting difference of opinion. One of you seems to be saying that constellations drop too frequently given recharge rates on quantum, the other that they don’t do frequently enough. I don’t have a great feel for it yet, but it does seem to me that to get what you want, you’ll need to get a lot of polestars, most of which will go unused. And that seems fine.

I guess roughly 50% of polestars will be useless. I already have multiple Federation, Starfleet and Human polestars, which hardly narrow down the crew. If all three are selected then I get 293 crew.

Interesting that you said this. I just used one of the "useless" polestars to guarantee getting the number 1 voyager in the game. Captain Braxton, for those who aren't familiar.

I think a lot of people are trapped in a way of thinking that keeps them from seeing outside of the box. You see Federation as useless. I've already found multiple ways to use it to get a specific crew, including the Braxton I just got.

Just want to give perspective from the other side of the coin. 🖖

I just got my third Federation polestar. It came from a Gabrielle Burnham polestar. Two things:
    1) There was a 77% chance to get a polestar that I wanted, but I got Federation.
    2) I also have 3 Human polestars.

While there is some use for both of these polestars if you only have one or two, subsequent duplicates effectively become useless. We're what, two weeks in? If the trend continues, I'll have like 5 Human, Starfleet, and Federation polestars two weeks from now. While one may not seem useless, I think time will render them such by sheer numbers.

And I have 6 Federation polestars. There are so many humans and Federation people we will be drowning in them.

3* trainers....
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    With this message, I am guessing this is a permanent change.
    8py8fhotfy9l.jpeg
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I thought it sounded like the addition of ISM to campaigns would be a permanent change, though I suppose the item(s) being replaced by ISM could be altered for future campaigns if the feedback to TP is significant enough.
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Would have gotten a basic crate yesterday and a premium today. Not liking this at all.
    The ISM is of no use to me. I have enough Polestars to get good pulls through June, at least, given the recharge rate of Quantum.
    Not that I have anywhere to put crew right now. Working on the Rocker to get EV Archer in from a surprise begold. Luckily, I finished Sulu from the discount packs or the Rocker would be waiting for Monday, when Scoundrels hit stasis, too.
    By the time I get to the point where Polestars are more important than crates, the game probably won't exist anymore.
    Oh, this is what my normal Dabo table looks like.
    aoqvtoskyrlz.png
    All usable, except the schematic bundles. My crates were the same way.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Bound2FateBound2Fate ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Would have gotten a basic crate yesterday and a premium today. Not liking this at all.
    The ISM is of no use to me. I have enough Polestars to get good pulls through June, at least, given the recharge rate of Quantum.
    Not that I have anywhere to put crew right now. Working on the Rocker to get EV Archer in from a surprise begold. Luckily, I finished Sulu from the discount packs or the Rocker would be waiting for Monday, when Scoundrels hit stasis, too.
    By the time I get to the point where Polestars are more important than crates, the game probably won't exist anymore.
    Oh, this is what my normal Dabo table looks like.
    aoqvtoskyrlz.png
    All usable, except the schematic bundles. My crates were the same way.

Same here. I have less to look forward to in the days between the portal pulls and crew in the campaign now.
    Admiral of Historians of Starfleet Join! Looking for daily players.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a fun factor, but as I said, even with more than a dozen crew with open equipment, AND being extremely cautious to only claim when no crew aenin overflow, almost half of the items are nor useful. This is even more so for the basic crates. Most of the basic crate drops are for things that are very cheap, anyway. This is not to say the crates are not good. I just think in the long run that a better chance at more valuable, targeted crew is a bit better.
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm about 45 items over the cap all the time, but my inventory stays in constant motion, so I don't worry about it. I'll either get it in before the week is up or use it, so why bother. It exists, that's all i care about. Next week's Galaxy will get me down close to the cap for awhile. It like hauling a ton of canaries with a 1000lb limit. Keep half of them moving.
    Trivial implies that each crate wasn't saving me, on average, around a day's worth of chronitons. Each campaign let me essentially double my equipping each month. It cost me a voyage worth of chronitons to do around two items on Lothario Q yesterday.
    You said it yourself. YOU can level a new crew in five minutes. I haven't even finished the Punk Rocker in nearly a day. I still need five pieces of equipment on the new Q (similar with Salia) and I've had him two weeks. I'll get them finished in the next couple days, probably, but it will cost me.
    I had 133 chronitons built up since last night and added 25 more from hitting 5 Cadet challenges.
    I spent 75 to get 8 components to add to what I had to build Q's robes at lvl90.
    I spent another 77, leaving 4, working on the 5* ID codes and will have to wait for more to finish. Haven't worked on Salia or the Punk yet today.
    Time and a returning voyage will, hopefully, let me finish Q and, maybe, work on the others a bit. I'd like to put Salia and the Rocker in come Monday, along with a handful of scoundrels, but we will have to see.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Trivial implies that each crate wasn't saving me, on average, around a day's worth of chronitons. Each campaign let me essentially double my equipping each month. It cost me a voyage worth of chronitons to do around two items on Lothario Q yesterday.
    You said it yourself. YOU can level a new crew in five minutes. I haven't even finished the Punk Rocker in nearly a day. I still need five pieces of equipment on the new Q (similar with Salia) and I've had him two weeks. I'll get them finished in the next couple days, probably, but it will cost me.
    I had 133 chronitons built up since last night and added 25 more from hitting 5 Cadet challenges.
    I spent 75 to get 8 components to add to what I had to build Q's robes at lvl90.

So instead of fussing over crates why don't you re-direct some of that DIL stash into Cadet Challenges or Voyage extensions? Why not passionate advocacy for Cadet Tokens or Voyage Tokens to Campaigns?

The point is your argument relies heavily on the very temporary problem of not being able to level your crew. Crates are just a sort term band-aid. The level in power having an adequate selection of 5* crew is pretty immense actually. ISM addresses the latter.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Currently I need to freeze 80 Klingons. I need to find 16 Klingons to even get to 80 never mind fully fusing them. I have 1 Klingon Polestar. Somehow I don't think I have enough ISM.

I think this all just boils down to different playstyles and different things people are looking to get out of the game. But if you're aiming to finish the top tier of a difficult collection that was only just introduced, you're very clearly well into the endgame of the endgame. It feels a little like you're trying to tell everyone else that they have to adopt the same perspective because we'll get there eventually.

(I'd also note that there are plenty of ways to narrow down to various 5* Klingons without using a Klingon polestar specifically.)

The point I keep trying to make is that crew leveling is much more finite task than obtaining crew. The game just gives you tonnes of crap constantly. You'll eventually get there so taking a longer view of the game is better.

Furthermore, crates are the lesser way of crew leveling. They're not 100% reliable and do nothing for you after some point. Last time I opened a Gold Crate I ended up with two 4* equipment of which I only needed one of. The other crate source, the Gauntlet, almost always gives me the wrong loot.

I don't buy Cadet Tokens but if I did they can be turned into credits which are then turned into honour. Voyages directly give you more honour, chrons and credits as well as crew. Even the Gauntlet is better than equipment crates. Crates are just a poor substitute for a more flexible resource.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals