Home The Bridge
Options

The Celestial Market - questions and feedback

Comments

• Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    Arnie wrote: »
    Appreciate that, but the cheap constellation is "too cheap". You'd have to manually put a price of 500 for example, and why would you do that when the next one is selling for 10k?

When you go to sell one, it automatically populates the number of ISM you would receive if you dematerialized the Constellation. So what’s going on is players are just listing them without checking the market first.
    731jo66aqb55.jpeg

• Options
    ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    Trollita wrote: »
    Arnie wrote: »
    Appreciate that, but the cheap constellation is "too cheap". You'd have to manually put a price of 500 for example, and why would you do that when the next one is selling for 10k?

When you go to sell one, it automatically populates the number of ISM you would receive if you dematerialized the Constellation. So what’s going on is players are just listing them without checking the market first.
    731jo66aqb55.jpeg

Ah, good point. I must not have twigged all the cheap ones were 300!
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I experimented with constellation purchases today. It was fun, and having a pile of hand-picked constellations meant I mostly got useful ones, with little chaff. This being said, I think in the future I'll put my ISM towards the specific polestars I need. I'm willing to pay a little extra for that certainty.

I got a smattering of EMHs, a few Jazz Odos, and some Presages. No holograms dropped, but overall I was happy with what I got. I'm up to four "presage" polestars now, good thing she's my white whale. I've repurposed some polestars I planned to use on her to get extra stars for Emory Erickson instead. At least when he's added to the portal. I also realized that most of the new characters I'm looking to add are unlikely to be in this update, but I'm a patient person.

Good thing too, as my list of prepared retrievals has crossed 500 days. Although as noted in my earlier post, this includes a lot of low priority collection filler.

My opinion of crew retrieval and the celestial marketplace remain high. Although I do feel there are a lot of good tweaks being suggested in this thread.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    DAEDAE ✭✭✭
    The market is set up to screw over the casual player. People are selling constellations for 10-50K. There is no guarantee anything in there will be useull once unlocked. Doesn’t impact the people here who has been playing for years but the casual player is going to get taken advantage of.

It’s like no one at WRG has ever taken an economics class or perhaps this is intentional. Constellations shouldn’t be in the market at all or they should have a cap on the price.

I see no point to constellations being in the market. Myself, its a gamble. It costs to open them after you purchased them. Thats just bad business of double charging ISM.
    They are clogging the system to my mind.

As far as overall impressions, it is a good addition and brings a bit of new fun. However we are already seeing hoarders with a purchase amt of 10-250 items in the same order. The amt that a person can order should be limited. If they want more, they can place another order after that one is fulfilled. Whats currently happening is they are blocking the system. Legitimate offers can not be fulfilled because the system automatically selects the highest offer for you, if a person has 250 of the same polestar on order at a ridiculous price, they are blocking all others from opportunity and get all sales.
    If i choose to sell a polestar to a person who has ordered 1 at a fair price, i should be able to chose which offer i want to full-fill.
    If some want to be ferengi based commerce that is fine, but i dont. I wish to be balanced in my transactions. I wont sell to someone ordering way more than needed just to block others from obtaining. There should be purchase limit.
    Currently the system allows no option for which order you wish to full-fill. More ability to do that and limiting amt on a single order would stop the blocking of purchases.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    DAE wrote: »
    As far as overall impressions, it is a good addition and brings a bit of new fun. However we are already seeing hoarders with a purchase amt of 10-250 items in the same order. The amt that a person can order should be limited. If they want more, they can place another order after that one is fulfilled. Whats currently happening is they are blocking the system. Legitimate offers can not be fulfilled because the system automatically selects the highest offer for you, if a person has 250 of the same polestar on order at a ridiculous price, they are blocking all others from opportunity and get all sales.
    If i choose to sell a polestar to a person who has ordered 1 at a fair price, i should be able to chose which offer i want to full-fill.
    If I understand, you want to sell something at a lower price, just because you don't like that the person that is paying more is looking to buy more of what you think is acceptable?

• Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestions: a "max" button, that calculates the maximun amount that can be bought with your current funds (this is pretty standard in exchanges/trading sites)

In this example, the button would calculate 16 polestars

f3sc78iidfos.png
  • Options
    DAEDAE ✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »
    If I understand, you want to sell something at a lower price, just because you don't like that the person that is paying more is looking to buy more of what you think is acceptable?

No. My thought of what a person wishes to pay is not really the point. Everyone values things differently. It is supposed to be a “free marketplace”. In order for that to happen, i should be able to chose which offer i want to full-fill.
    For example:
    250 brutal polestars ordered at 1201 ISM
    1 Brutal polestar ordered at 1200 ISM

I chose to full-fill the 1 polestar At 1200 ISM and the system automatically gave it to the 1201 ISM saying “we found you a better offer” well that person has 250 on order. They are blocking anyone else from getting a brutal polestar.

Continue example:
    The person offering 1200 ISM for 1 changes their order to 1210 ISM.
    The person offering 1201 ISM for 250 polestars changes their order to 1211.
    That is intentionally blocking anyone else from obtaining the polestar.
    Ive been watching this happen on many trait based polestars.
    Imo a bit of a tweek so that i can chose which order i wish to full-fill. That would be an actual /trade/sell/barter system. I should be able to chose.
  • Options
    Selene 7Selene 7 ✭✭✭✭
    A max number per order sounds reasonable to me. I'd like it if they allowed for more than ten orders though, so you can have orders for more different polestars up. Also it would be handy if you could click an existing order of yours and adjust the price, as a quick way instead of removing the order and recreating it when you realize no one is biting at the current price.

I also agree that the marketplace would have been cleaner with only polestars in it.
  • Options
    Kanon wrote: »

No. My thought of what a person wishes to pay is not really the point. Everyone values things differently. It is supposed to be a “free marketplace”. In order for that to happen, i should be able to chose which offer i want to full-fill.
    For example:
    250 brutal polestars ordered at 1201 ISM
    1 Brutal polestar ordered at 1200 ISM

I chose to full-fill the 1 polestar At 1200 ISM and the system automatically gave it to the 1201 ISM saying “we found you a better offer” well that person has 250 on order. They are blocking anyone else from getting a brutal polestar.

Continue example:
    The person offering 1200 ISM for 1 changes their order to 1210 ISM.
    The person offering 1201 ISM for 250 polestars changes their order to 1211.
    That is intentionally blocking anyone else from obtaining the polestar.
    Ive been watching this happen on many trait based polestars.
    Imo a bit of a tweek so that i can chose which order i wish to full-fill. That would be an actual /trade/sell/barter system. I should be able to chose.

I don't think the 250 orders for 1201 ISM are all from the same player. They could be, but it's more likely to be different people who just used the default price for their order (the highest one at that moment) without changing it.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    It also puts your money in escrow when you place an order so you need to have enough to cover your order
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    I agree that constellations shouldn't really be a part of it. They just fill the market with stuff of little or no value and I can't think of a good enough reason to buy or sell them. But if there's anyone who actually enjoys their presence, I'll take it back :sweat_smile:

Besides that, I also think that the market shouldn't automatically switch to the next best offer when the chosen one becomes unavailable. The confirmation screen should contain some sort of visually evident warning, that makes it clear that the price has changed even to someone who's tapping away quickly and mindlessly.

I assume the person who purchased an Author Doctor constellation for 60k was probably trying to buy it for something around 300 ISM, then that offer disappeared and the 60k one was up next. It happened to me with a polesar that went from 800 to 2000 and I almost didn't notice it in time. If it had gone from 800 to 60k and I had accidentally bought it, that would have been very annoying.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of buying constellations at all. So I ignore them. It's pretty easy to do, imo.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Another possible improvement would be to have the options "just polestars" and possibly also "just constellations" (for those who are not ignoring them) higher up in the drop down menu. It makes sense to have "owned" as default, but I think the second most used one will be "just polestars". "All items alphabetically" is overcrowded and annoying to use, but as long as there are different items it probably makes sense to have it.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    The filtering needs to get improved. Let me see just polestars, just constellations, or both.

Let me also pick all listed, or what I own.

And then let me sort by price or by hot items.

Those should all be separate options that I can pick, not grouped into an single incomplete list.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in favor of keeping constellations present. I think a lot of them are over priced right now. But for a reasonable price I'd be willing to buy a bunch of constellations and open them to get the polestar I want.

The price of the constellation + 1000 should equal the average cost of all the polestars available. If the constellation is more than that don't buy it, if it's less go ahead and buy it.

If other players prefer the guaranteed polestar they can buy it directly. Just like how players can buy packs looking for crew or buy offers that guarantee the crew.
  • Options
    DAEDAE ✭✭✭
    @Emperor Borg Drone (AR)

It would appear you are correct. I tried to place an order for 250 of the same item it defaults to 99. I tried 100, it defaults to 99.
    So 99 is the max. And that is cleared up thank you.
    i still wish to be able to select the order for which i chose to full-fill with my item. Not get defaulted to the highest bidder. I have plenty of ISM. Maybe i chose to sell a good polestar to someone who really needs it and has little ISM. I just think it should be my choice how much i wish to sell it for.
    I have no problem with what others chose to sell or buy for, as long as i get the same option. Which right now we have no control. Its my polestar. I should be able to select what offer i want to full-fill.
    I would like to see that improvement.

Overall it is a fun addition to the game and still learning to navigate whats what.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just love buying stuff under 800 and selling it for the 800. :smile: make a little small change that way
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Emperor Borg Drone (AR)

It would appear you are correct. I tried to place an order for 250 of the same item it defaults to 99. I tried 100, it defaults to 99.
    i still wish to be able to select the order for which i chose to full-fill with my item. Not get defaulted to the highest bidder. I have plenty of ISM. Maybe i chose to sell a good polestar to someone who really needs it and has little ISM. I just think it should be my choice how much i wish to sell it for.
    I have no problem with what others chose to sell or buy for, as long as i get the same option. Which right now we have no control. Its my polestar. I should be able to select what offer i want to full-fill.

Overall it is a fun addition to the game and still learning to navigate whats what.

That's a recipe for market manipulation. Best execution is a legal requirement for brokers. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bestexecution.asp#:~:text=Best execution is a legal,given the prevailing market environment.

And in this case, if you can pick who to fill it would make it easier for people to run secondary ISM farms and then shift the ISM to their main account.
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    @Emperor Borg Drone (AR)

I thought you could scroll down the orders list and click on a low one and then sell for that price. It just gives you a warning that it's not the highest but I think it let's you sell. I just didn't finalize the sale while I was looking for that option.
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I tried it out with a starfleet polestar. I clicked in a low order value, listed it for that and automatically got the highest order value.
    I thought it was a way to help the little guy, but it's not. This is good though, stops ppl trading with their alts.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I'm in favor of keeping constellations present. I think a lot of them are over priced right now. But for a reasonable price I'd be willing to buy a bunch of constellations and open them to get the polestar I want.

The price of the constellation + 1000 should equal the average cost of all the polestars available. If the constellation is more than that don't buy it, if it's less go ahead and buy it.

If other players prefer the guaranteed polestar they can buy it directly. Just like how players can buy packs looking for crew or buy offers that guarantee the crew.

That makes sense! I think what makes their presence annoying to me is that the first option in the drop down menu is for all existing items, so I always have to scroll down to "just polestars". I think it would be better if the default option was the last one selected from the drop down menu or if "just polestars" and "just constellations" were higher up in the menu. It's not a big issue though.

Another thing that comes to my mind is that constellations may be confusing to some new players, who will assume that the constellation will somehow give them the crew it belongs to. That could be solved by giving people access to the market a few levels after they gain access to crew retrieval (so that they aready know how it works). Maybe that's already the case though.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed buying the polestars I needed for the next few pulls I am going to do. Then I bought more polestars for the pulls after that. But none of that decreases the time between pulls nor does it make a portal update. So now I am bored with it.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    The market is good for getting the polestars you need but bad in that it took all the fun out of scanning. Scanning for constellations. Finding a good one with a polestar you need. Opening it to see if you got it. Getting weird polestars you can’t use but look cool. Now what’s the point? I can get exactly what I want and need with less ism usually then it would take to scan for and open a constellation.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    The market is good for getting the polestars you need but bad in that it took all the fun out of scanning. Scanning for constellations. Finding a good one with a polestar you need. Opening it to see if you got it. Getting weird polestars you can’t use but look cool. Now what’s the point? I can get exactly what I want and need with less ism usually then it would take to scan for and open a constellation.

Some call it „Fun“, others call it „Frustration“, when u just get another
    „Human, Starfleet or Federation“ polestar, instead of something else. 🤗
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    I guess its a fine addition since the game has turned into a gotta catch em all game as far as development goes.

Another game that has the same model at least has some true pvp options for the stuff you collect.

I myself just could care less about adding new crew or even stars at this point. Why bother? Collections? That doesn't provide me with anything at this point.

I wanna play a game not just collect. Maybe its time I drop a Well Bye Wyatt Earp gif on myself lmao.

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

This could flip if players don't scan and get enough polestars. We started the market with a 6-month stockpile. As the good ones get used and are no longer on the market, the prices will go up. It could reach a point where it's no longer cost effective to just use the market. Scanning to at least get market fodder may become a necessity. Not sure if or when this could happen, but it's a possibility. I hope players find a sweet spot between scanning and using the market. I suspect that will be between the 300 and 2,100 scans for most players. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options

This could flip if players don't scan and get enough polestars. We started the market with a 6-month stockpile. As the good ones get used and are no longer on the market, the prices will go up. It could reach a point where it's no longer cost effective to just use the market. Scanning to at least get market fodder may become a necessity. Not sure if or when this could happen, but it's a possibility. I hope players find a sweet spot between scanning and using the market. I suspect that will be between the 300 and 2,100 scans for most players. :)

Certainly a possibility but I think with how little we are able to do crew retrieval it will not be a problem.
    Let’s fly!